• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.dexerto.com

T-Mobile disappears as CDL & Overwatch League sponsor amid Activision Blizzard lawsuit - Dexerto

It seems that T-Mobile's partnership with the Call of Duty and Overwatch Leagues has disappeared during Activision Blizzard's lawsuit.
On July 22, the state of California launched a civil lawsuit against Activision Blizzard citing a variety of gendered discrimination problems and a general "frat-boy culture." From July 29 to August 1, Activision's CDL hosted its biggest event of 2021: the Stage 5 Major.

Interestingly, the league's main non-gaming sponsor, T-Mobile, seemingly disappeared fully during the event — despite it being the most-watched broadcast of the season.

Upon a deeper dive, the T-Mobile logo seems to have been taped over on players' jerseys, while the brand was removed from all broadcast segments and from the CDL's website. Additionally, this seems to have also happened for Activision's sister league, the OWL.
cdl-website-yes-tmobile-1024x241.jpg.webp

cdl-website-no-tmobile-1-1024x206.jpg.webp

The above screenshots show 1) the CDL website on July 21 and 2) the CDL website as of July 31. As you can see, T-Mobile has been removed in the week since Activision Blizzard was hit with the lawsuit. This also applies to the "Partners" page on the OWL website, which has been similarly tweaked.

Another visible change was that players had T-Mobile logos taped over during the Major V broadcast. As can be seen in pictures, the Subliners seem to have quickly taped over the part of their jerseys that used to show T-Mobile's branding.

While some may have noticed players with taped-over jerseys on broadcast, there are two other clear signs of the partnership distancing. One such example is the CDL's weekly T-Mobile sweepstake, whose FAQ indicates that the final period has been "canceled" and that "the sweepstakes has ended."

And, finally, on the OWL side — the league used to have T-Mobile branding in their "Overwatch League Perks" program (as seen in a May 2021 tweet), but that seems to have changed in early August.

In terms of timing, the simplest assumption would be T-Mobile distancing from the lawsuit. Whether that is the case or not remains to be known, as neither Activision nor T-Mobile have discussed the split publicly.

Dexerto has reached out to both Activision and T-Mobile PR for comment and will update this piece if we receive a response.
Fuck yeah. Hit em in their wallet.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Excellent. Until the bottom line takes a dive, the shitheads in charge are likely to stay the course. Make em take action.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Was waiting for this to start. Would love to see their games de-platformed.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this causes an uproar for shareholders, which is probably the only thing ACTI-BLIZZ actually cares about.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched some Overwatch League over the years, you can tell T-Mobile was a huuuge sponsor for them. Big blow. Good job.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Would wait for confirmation that was the reason for backing out before giving kudos. Hopefully this is true.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking like what sponsors did during Copa America. They removed their exposure, but the contract was never broken. They are pretty much saving face while honoring all their financial obligations.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I REALLY hope SCUF steps down too or else a PS5 SCUF will be out of the question in the future for me.

Hitting them where it hurts though, I like it.

I wonder if Playstation will still want marketing rights for the next CoD? That'll be interesting to see.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to get a statement from T-Mobile over this to dispel the possibility this is just a really strange coincidence. T-Mobile poured A LOT of money into OWL during the first year.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they had a contract out if something like the recent news happened.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to get a statement from T-Mobile over this to dispel the possibility this is just a really strange coincidence. T-Mobile poured A LOT of money into OWL during the first year.
I don't think there's any doubt about what it could be. Pulling out of both leagues points to something outside either of them and what else could it be besides the company getting sued by a state?

Not getting any hope until T-Mobile actually releases a statement why they did this. Would be good if it causes Shareholders to oust Bobby & the lot and bring change.
I wonder if Playstation will still want marketing rights for the next CoD? That'll be interesting to see.
There's a rumour circulating that Activision broke a contract with Sony on MW3R Campaign because they want to bundle it with CoD 2021. So it's possible they won't having marketing rights for the next CoD but not only due to the Lawsuit.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder if some others will follow suit, or will a pressure campaign need to mount.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that once Activision is actually being held responsible for their shit, they actually crumble and their pr can't even make them look a little bit nice

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Not getting any hope until T-Mobile actually releases a statement why they did this. Would be good if it causes Shareholders to oust Bobby & the lot and bring change.

There's a rumour circulating that Activision broke a contract with Sony on MW3R Campaign because they want to bundle it with CoD 2021. So it's possible they won't having marketing rights for the next CoD but not only due to the Lawsuit.
Where did you see this? That is pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, even if that's true, Activision will make it up to Sony with another CoD game on PS+ :p

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
GOOD

Only damn thing Activison Blizzard cares about, money. Hope this is a start of a trend.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
not saying its because of the mess going on at Acti/Blizzard, but I hope its because of that and its followed by a statement from T-Mobile.