• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
After completing CODA 1 and unlocking an anchor point, I was /] this [\ close to start my WORLD journey to clear the other two paths, but I'm pausing to ask a couple of a questions:
  1. I saw the loot table for San Bronsa and started drooling. Is there a downside to clearing for the spells/loot while fully aware that if I clear it, hop back in time without proceeding through an anchor point, that the progress will be wiped?
  2. If I complete my Neutral and Law runs but don't proceed to the anchor point at the end of CODA, will that anchor still retain the fact that it's on a Chaos timeline, or do the timeline gets set as long as I pass any anchor points and especially the one at the end of chapter 4?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
After completing CODA 1 and unlocking an anchor point, I was /] this [\ close to start my WORLD journey to clear the other two paths, but I'm pausing to ask a couple of a questions:
  1. I saw the loot table for San Bronsa and started drooling. Is there a downside to clearing for the spells/loot while fully aware that if I clear it, hop back in time without proceeding through an anchor point, that the progress will be wiped?
  2. If I complete my Neutral and Law runs but don't proceed to the anchor point at the end of CODA, will that anchor still retain the fact that it's on a Chaos timeline, or do the timeline gets set as long as I pass any anchor points and especially the one at the end of chapter 4?

Go get those juicy summon spells from San Bronsa immediately.

The Time Mage

Feb 9, 2018
I beat this game 9 years ago on PSP. I imported the premium edition from Europe and it came with a mini artbook and soundtrack. I'll have to get this for switch at some point.

jefklak

May 8, 2019
I've been following this thread for a while and I'm halfway in chapter 2 (chaos route). I played the SNES and PSP versions and have to say that I'm struggling big time because I want all skills, not just 4, and I can't overlevel, lol!

Do you folks switch in and out skills a lot on builds or just have multiple members (duplicate classes) with their own specialty in your army? I am so happy to have had the luck to recruit a dragon. Most fights I just struggle to keep my head above water, and once the boss comes in KOing everyone, I start panicking and concentrate on them to kill him before the counters reach zero.
Meaning I have little time to concentrate on lowering HP and moving units close to recruit them.

I know by reading stuff here I should use more buff/debuff items, but still. I love games like this, and Knights of Lodis is my favorite GBA game (fuck that slow animation though), so I should know what I'm doing, except I have the feeling that I don't.
The card drops add so much clutter and the enemy AI greedily going for the +Physical make me panick even more.

Edit: I changed Denam to a ninja but don't have two 1H katanas yet and he seems rather useless at lvl16. Back to knight I guess.

Last edited:

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone?

[Context: I recently completed my first run, where I picked the Chaos route]

If I complete the Neutral and Law runs but don't proceed to the anchor point at the end of CODA 1, will that anchor still retain the fact that it was unlocked on the Chaos timeline, or does the timeline get set as long as I pass *any* anchor points and especially the one at the end of chapter 4?

I'm still trying to figure out how WORLD works. I want to unlock the Lord but I don't want my Warren report to reflect Catiua or anyone already on my team dying.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
How I beat the final boss. All my characters are level 40 and only deal like 10 damage while he can one shot kill all of my units. It doesn't help that I got there with low supply of items I have been using through the gardens. Help

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone?

I'm still trying to figure out how WORLD works. I want to unlock the Lord but I don't want my Warren report to reflect Catiua or anyone already on my team dying.
Each anchor point ends up being its own thing. So your CODA 1 anchor point will retain its Chaos route stuff unless you beat it again.

If it helps you understand. Each anchor point is locked in when you first reach it, unless you do it again. So any anchor points past that will be the same as the first time you reached it, including the warren report.

Last edited:

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Each anchor point ends up being its own thing. So your CODA 1 anchor point will retain its Chaos route stuff unless you beat it again.

If it helps you understand. Each anchor point is locked in when you first reach it, unless you do it again. So any anchor points past that will be the same as the first time you reached it, including the warren report.
Ahhh that makes sense. It also potentially makes for numerous actual timelines if I'm not careful with passing through them, especially with character deaths and dismissals lol.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
How I beat the final boss. All my characters are level 40 and only deal like 10 damage while he can one shot kill all of my units. It doesn't help that I got there with low supply of items I have been using through the gardens. Help
Some people just throw Dragons at it. At lvl 40 their Dragon Scale ability gives them 90% mitigation and it reflects any resulting damage back to the boss so it literally kills itself.

A rare class, the Lich, also has a AoE spell reflection auto skill but you'd have to recruit one from Pirate's Graveyard side dungeon, and you'd need the Unique recruit that comes from that time sensitive quest to get deep enough in the graveyard for the map it spawns in, so it's much easier to utilize Dragon scale unless you already have a Lich. And yea that's why the game asks ya to do multiple saves when doing fort/dungeon runs. Should you find yourself low on supplies or the like.

For healing try and utilize items like Mending Salves+1 and Blessing Stones for revives as it's very hard for enemies to have the setup to push through Mending Salve+1's 75% heal. Not impossible for them to do so but rare. Also make sure you have a cleric for a skill they have to negate the effects of Condemn which Necromancers and the final Boss can apply to the battlefield which will lock out resurrection effects until dispelled by a cleric using one of their red skills.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I have surpassed the risk of falling to death and rampart aura.
image.png

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
So it's been a bit—is anyone feeling good about sales? Do we think we will get a rerelease of Knight of Lodis or even a new entry in the Ogre Battle series of some kind? I loved Reborn and I would be ecstatic if they announced some sort of followup.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I did see a Accolades trailer come out, prob to coincide on the price drop i've seen at some places ( i may have imagined the price drop, this whole week has been a gd blur).
I don't know what that could mean for the series though XD. Would love remakes or the ability to get Knight of Lodis on a modern platforms at the very least (and maybe fixing the slowdown?? plz??).

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Canopus got one shot by the necromancer woman in the 3rd fight, have they made all boss characters stronger?

I like the changes to skills except meditate activates too often, it starts to get annoying

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i have simply never in my playtime encountered a situation where a meditator had too much MP

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
This game is getting a little boring in the re-used assets department.

We must take Galgastani! Oh while we were gone they took Almorica, we must take back Almorica! We should invade Rhime, oh while we were gone they took Almorica again, we must take Almorica!

Definitely feeling burnt out on the game already in Ch4

I swear to jesus if I have to fight back to Almorica for a 17th time I'm gonna lose it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. just bought this since its on sale. I have a feeling I wont like this as much as FFT because of the difficulty and repetitiveness but I havent played ant tatic RPG since Xcom2.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Can you not fight random battles in field areas anymore? Money is kind of scarce just from story fights

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Can you not fight random battles in field areas anymore? Money is kind of scarce just from story fights
They removed random battles, yes. As for money, the money exploit is possible mid-Chapter 2 and it's all I needed to cover me through the entire game. See video below. Baldur Blowgun is the more efficient item, but Mutadart unlocks slightly earlier in the chapter. I started with the latter and moved on to the former once it was available.

View: https://youtu.be/OJZy7A7Giho

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea all fights that were previously Random Encounters are initiated as Training Battles aside from the ones in Dungeons like Phrompha Wildwood and PoTD.
Bear in mind you cannot recruit while in Training either, midfight recruits can only occur in Story fights OR those repeatable Dungeons I mentioned, the first of which also opens in Chapter 2 provided you read the News section in the Warren Report.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little lost on the recruit thing folks.

For some reason I always get 0% on being able to recruit ANY unit. Did the whole thing - low hp blinking red, the right skill (faire pact, recruit for humans), stood right next to them even made sure they aren't charmed or whatever.

Ever single time it's miss or nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

For some reason I always get 0% on being able to recruit ANY unit. Did the whole thing - low hp blinking red, the right skill (faire pact, recruit for humans), stood right next to them even made sure they aren't charmed or whatever.

Inspect your target. Check the help tooltip over their portrait. It will describe their opinion of their commander; if it sounds like they are disloyal, you have a chance to recruit them at low health. The exception are boss units (no chance ever) and rogue-class units (forbidden to players) and some of the more exotic units you come across.

All that in mind, you can recruit virtually anybody with the right recruitment skill.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
Was able to defeat the final boss with 5 dragons.

The amount of content this game has is insane. It rivals FE three houses but this is more impressive since it came out in the 90s.

So may little details. Didn't know you could use dragons/Beast as stepping stones to reach heights and use shortcuts for less mobile units.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still watching the newest Coffee Potato video, but at around the 6:30 mark he explains how he's not sure anymore if his previous video about broken scaling is accurate, because there are still obtuse stat logic to be unpacked and tested like in most Matsuno games.

Godspeed, minmaxers.

View: https://youtu.be/MZFqq-jE-KM

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

If the Unit is Stopped, Charmed, Petrified, inflicted with Fear or otherwise suffering from a ailment in which the target is not in their right mind to be convinced to change sides, then it will always remain at 0%. Definitely run the Esuna spell Ease (i run two) when recruiting + also fielding any units capable of the aforementioned ailments.

EDIT: Sorry just reread your post, make sure you're using the apropriate skill, aside from that you can use the Chariot to redo the turn you used the recruit skill and try to do so from a different tile. A lot of my early recruits were done at lower %'s than possible at that given moment by choosing to do so 1 tile away even though I had the option to go right up next to them. You can also try surrounding the unit with your units, never done so myself but I've heard that it helps. I also notice awful rolls if the boss unit is right next to them XD.

Was able to defeat the final boss with 5 dragons.

The amount of content this game has is insane. It rivals FE three houses but this is more impressive since it came out in the 90s.

So may little details. Didn't know you could use dragons/Beast as stepping stones to reach heights and use shortcuts for less mobile units.
Yea, while the CODA stuff and Pirate's Graveyard are from the PSP version, the three routes (minus the WORLD system) and San Bronsa and PoTD (which looked/was designed rather different in the SNES version) the game had a lot of content for a Super Famicom cart, I think certain characters also weren't available for recruit which were then made available in the PSP version.

Last edited:

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
So the CODA stuff is overwhelming to me. I opened the Songstress chapter but after retreating from the battle the cave disappeared and I can't longer access it and now I'm reading that I have to do a bunch of things beforehand? If I go back using the World tarot can I go back to the present after opening different paths? This is so confusing

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So the CODA stuff is overwhelming to me. I opened the Songstress chapter but after retreating from the battle the cave disappeared and I can't longer access it and now I'm reading that I have to do a bunch of things beforehand? If I go back using the World tarot can I go back to the present after opening different paths? This is so confusing

There should be a new thing in the Warren Report, and then another new thing in the Report after reading that, and then you'll be able to go to the Pirate's Graveyard.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still watching the newest Coffee Potato video, but at around the 6:30 mark he explains how he's not sure anymore if his previous video about broken scaling is accurate, because there are still obtuse stat logic to be unpacked and tested like in most Matsuno games.

Godspeed, minmaxers.

View: https://youtu.be/MZFqq-jE-KM

i'm not scrubbing through a one-hour youtube video but this guide on steam sums up what is currently known regarding mechanical quirks - the 'Particularities and issues' section specifically.

the ultimate conclusion i came to after thinking about it while letting the AI run through palace of the dead is that the primary exacerbating factor of class balance in reborn (and PSP; arguably moreso there with no in-game speedup or potential cheatengine access) is there are simply too many fights.

~7 floors crit path pirate's graveyard, 7x6 for shrines, 6x6 for the runback to pick up apocrypha 2s, ~70-80? floors for crit path PotD, ~40 stages for the other two story paths you didn't do initially, ~20 floors of san bronsa, ~30ish? for PotD runback in coda 2 if you use guidebooks, ??? floors of PotD for charms to get the trio's stats high enough to do coda 4 if you want that. if you also factor in time spent chariot'ing for drops in PotD and san bron...

are summons & apocrypha better than melee or bows/fusils? unquestionably, but if the postgame was tighter, the 'average' player - average who cares enough to even do all the postgame content anyway - would not hit the fatigue point of 'fuck all this, i'm letting AI summoners handle it' until relatively late in the game, if ever

that said... game mechanics are an issue, to be sure, not just stuff like resists working bizarrely but also things like magic targetting going through PotD walls but hard countering bows/fusils (even course correction!), 75% heal items on enemies in san bronsa strongly encouraging alpha strike damage vs. physical's steadier intake & other little contributing factors... but also, rarely mentioned: high RT/weight on endgame weapons vs. the RT of a summon spell or apocrypha

it's 24 RT for a summon2, 28 for an apocrypha2 - casters typically have lower equipment weight than any non-ozma character prior to cursed weapons to begin with; they also accumulate less RT from movement in postgame maps (especially when engulf procs)
conversely the best 2H PotD/san bron weapons are as heavy or heavier than a wand+caldia combo; 2H sit around the 40-45 RT mark but even 1H are quite chunky - 25ish for daggers and 1H katanas, 35ish for other 1H weapon types. double attack becomes extremely punishing (to the user's RT) in the lategame because of this. then consider that parry & counterattack only affect physical damage... and only physical damage feeds MP to the target, not magic (or, to be fair, finishers)... melee are much more susceptible to PBAOE auto skills like lament of the dead and cyclops roar...

about the only mechanical bone melee got thrown in reborn was the removal of accuracy as a factor, and i am 50/50 on this being an intentional change to account for parry existing vs. just being a screw-up with stat scaling, because it makes two stats meaningless and removes tactical depth

i forget why i started writing this post or what my point was. the game is great but it's a mechanical mess like all of matsuno's games (though he did not direct this), enjoy the writing and the music and that first satisfying run through the main story and don't worry too much about the rest

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda pissed off at my failed attempt to recruit Ravness. I followed a recruitment guide and triggered her fight in early 2L, but it turns out I picked a wrong answer to something she asked? Because after going through 2L, then starting 3L where I followed all ateps that lead to her second fight, and reaching the point where Denam talks about uniting forces, nothing happens! Denam doesn't explicitly ask her to join, she doesn't request to join after the battle, and the Warren Report ends up citing "Denam asked her to join and she refused."

Fuck me.

Back to he beginning of chapter two I go.

Last edited:

norn

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda pissed off at my failed attempt to recruit Ravness. I followed a recruitment guide and triggered her fight in early 2L, but it turns out I picked a wrong answer to something she asked? Because after going through 2L, then starting 3L where I followed all ateps that lead to her second fight, and reaching the point where Denam talks about uniting forces, nothing happens! Denam doesn't explicitly ask her to join, she doesn't request to join after the battle, and the Warren Report ends up citing "Denam asked her to join and she refused."

Fuck me.

Back to he beginning of chapter I go.
in case it's not too late, make extra sure that you got all of her in-battle dialogues w/ denam in that fight (supposedly you also need canopus's; i can't confirm that - but i can confirm you don't need jeunan's)

i had the exact same thing happen to me as you, then double-checked the requirements, assumed i had also answered the wrong thing and was prepared to run it all the way back - but i checked the PSP script and noticed there was one more in-battle dialogue i hadn't triggered on this run. restarted the fight, waited around until i got all 3, and bingo bango bongo she offered to join

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
in case it's not too late, make extra sure that you got all of her in-battle dialogues w/ denam in that fight (supposedly you also need canopus's; i can't confirm that - but i can confirm you don't need jeunan's)

i had the exact same thing happen to me as you, then double-checked the requirements, assumed i had also answered the wrong thing and was prepared to run it all the way back - but i checked the PSP script and noticed there was one more in-battle dialogue i hadn't triggered on this run. restarted the fight, waited around until i got all 3, and bingo bango bongo she offered to join
Ahhhh! I'll try that! Thank you.

Edit: yeeeerp, that did it! I checked the script and you were right— I missed a single mid-battle chat the first time. Thankfully I had a save right before the battle, and now Ravness joined. Bless you! 🙏🏽

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
I'm sure it has been covered but any straight forward build recommendations for Denam? Preferably something tanky? Thinking 2H knight to Terror Knight or maybe Rune Fencer.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it has been covered but any straight forward build recommendations for Denam? Preferably something tanky? Thinking 2H knight to Terror Knight or maybe Rune Fencer.

Terror Knight is a good mid-game job for Denam but it falls behind terribly (pun KIND OF intended) in the late game due to its extreme slowness and low move stats. 2H Warrior to Knight to Terror Knight is a decent progression for him for the first half, but in the late game you'll probably want to give him something with more mobility and damage potential like Ninja or Buccaneer.

While Fear is an absolutely great status ailment to take advantage of, it's kind of the only thing terror knights truly excel at and at least for me, its effectiveness started to drop off in the latter half of the game due to bosses with extremely wide movement and attack ranges being able to punk him to death before he got to hit them once.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
rune fencer is fairly strong all throughout the main game - whenever you start feeling like they're a little behind the rest of your team, you get access to some new toy (conserve MP, nature's touch, summons, etc); they're additionally bolstered by spears being one of the best weapon types

from a min/max perspective rune fencer is a good lead-in to denam's unique class because it doesn't completely hobble his MP growth, though this is mostly only a factor if you plan on making him a mage for the postgame

buccaneer is a pretty good shout though; i personally think fist buccaneer is one of the few non-casters that scales strong and can pull their own weight well into the postgame. if you go princess first, buccaneer is a solid pick for the early postgame or running through other story paths

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the above suggestions. Terror Knight is good for the first half until you unlock Ninja or Buccaneer. Rune Fencer is good throw-out. The MVP is the Lord class but only after you leveled Denam to 50, then changed his class to ever one available to you (just quickly flip through without exiting the menu). Reason being Lord will give you access to every skill Denam has obtained before, and merely flipping through classes technically unlocks the skills for him.

Nov 3, 2017
Super helpful all, thanks! I'll probably go Warrior -> Rune Fencer -> Ninja to start. Dont know how much of the post game I'll end up doing so TBD on what special classes I get access to.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the above suggestions. Terror Knight is good for the first half until you unlock Ninja or Buccaneer. Rune Fencer is good throw-out. The MVP is the Lord class but only after you leveled Denam to 50, then changed his class to ever one available to you (just quickly flip through without exiting the menu). Reason being Lord will give you access to every skill Denam has obtained before, and merely flipping through classes technically unlocks the skills for him.
I just went 100% Rune Fencer until I unlocked Lord for Denam. The real thing to keep in mind is you can make Denam a Lich as well and pick up those skills for him.

My Lord Denam has Hammers/Meditate IV/Speedstar/Reflection.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Ok, so I'm near the end
last battle of hanging gardens
and I really dont know what to feel about this remaster.

I would categorize TOLUCT on PSP as one of my favorite games of all time, together with FFT. And yet, I would merely call Reborn good.

I feel like Reborn is a game specifically for players who played the old games to death and wanted a modded or remixed version. OR new players who are likes strategy games feeling like strict puzzles.
The level cap, roided up bosses, nerfs and mandatory items seem to be an attempt to subvert the old gameplay style. And it frankly doesn't work half the time in my opinion.

I still dont know what the union level is supposed to 'fix'. Grinding? Who cares about that. Just don't grind if you want that specific challenge.

The power ups are a weird addition adding even more of a rng-feel into the mix.

So much could have been done to flesh out the intricate world, tighten up the pacing in the middle and balance the classes. Yet instead the devs fixed 3 problems and created 5 new ones.

This all sounds overly harsh maybe, and its still a good game. It just feels like a somewhat wasted opportunity.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017

Isnt the Lord class only available to Denam if Catiua dies or denied her princess status? At least that was how it was for SNES/PSP I think been a while since I played

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
PotD floor 115 fight was interesting, had to really change my approach. Tried to treat it like a normal fight but Warren got killed way too quickly, so in my successful attempt I only used Denam with no weapon and just lobber with some healing+debuff items, and then support skills otherwise. Had the boon of swiftness and hp renewal draconic spell. The AI does not understand buff spells or debuff items so didn't use any of that on Denam or Warren.

Edit: Also beat CODA 4 the normal way so I feel done with the game now. Maybe I'll try the challenge way later, but probably not. Just about 100 hours in to the game. Lots of fun.

Last edited:

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
It's not that bad when I actually play but man every battle in chapter 4 having a leader with a full set of cards is really deflating sometimes