• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
People keep asking for good AA/indie games but never show up when games like these actually release.

Take Two can fuck off though. They just bought Gearbox right? Probably more bad news to come. God bless consolidation /s .

Nah this isn't on us, those games would have done quite well and the studio isn't large. Take two just sucks.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Roll8, please? Love the output of Roll7 and it's tragic to see them go this way.

Intercept... the writing was on the wall for a while there. Niche indie games and AAA publishers do not mix well.

I am hopeful all of those affected can end up on their feet.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People keep asking for good AA/indie games but never show up when games like these actually release.

Take Two can fuck off though. They just bought Gearbox right? Probably more bad news to come. God bless consolidation /s .

Ridiculous take. Kerbal 2's development seemed incredibly messy but Roll7 were easily making the numbers to be self sustaining.

This is likely Take-Two making cuts to appease shareholders while making sure they don't impact the development of the cash cow franchises.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dont see myself buying any Take 2 game for the next couple years outside of the big one. They are moving really reckless, shameful.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Damn I love Roll7, this is really sad as they really are talented :(
Didn't play the lolli olli world but loved the first ones (I think I bought the first one on PSN day one at the time)
It really had a nice aeshetic and I heard good things about it but never got around to check it out

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I'm sure the main creatives from when the studios were small got a nice pay day when they were acquired and will turn up with the inevitable spiritual successor. but yeah, hopefully anyone they dragged with them lands on their feet.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
That feeling when in the space of a few seconds you learn that one of your favorite indie devs was actually owned by a major publisher... and that they have shut them down.

Fuck you Take Two.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't that always been the case? How many studios survive after only releasing duds that aren't named Square Enix?

Define dud??

I don't think any studio survives continuously releasing failed products but studios in the past have survived one or two disappointing releases from a sales perspective (Resistance 3 and Fuse). Now it's an existential crisis. One bomb and you are shown the door and heck in the case of Roll7 I doubt it was even that as their games are fairly popular.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024

all Olli Olli games sold well. The last in the series was the best selling of them all, even.
And Rollerdrome passed 1 million players last month
View: https://twitter.com/rollerdrome/status/1770133260321825266

people showed up. Private Division is just a horrendous publisher ruled by insanely greedy executives who want to kill anything and everything that isn't bringing in millions of dollars in microtransactions.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Kerbal and OlliOlli I'd consider cult classics. This is truly sad. Hope the people who lost their jobs find new ones as soon as possible.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

The game's sold well, TakeTwo are just horrible bastards

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
lol at people here trying to put the blame on players "not buying their games"

all olliolli games sold well and rollerdrome was also a success. but if youre going to blame players unless it sells 20M+, might as well not release anything not named GTA. which is probably what take2 wants anyway

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking shit, I got a friend at Roll7 and hes devastated. Fucking buy a world class studio to shut them down two years later, what a fucking embarrassment.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
This is fucking shit, I got a friend at Roll7 and hes devastated. Fucking buy a world class studio to shut them down two years later, what a fucking embarrassment.

Yeah i don't get it, they were an indie studio making indie/games for a niche audience but with very high quality.

What were T2 expecting from them, GTA shark cards kinda money?

OlliOlli World is amazing, bought it day one.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah definitely done with Take Two as a publisher, including GTA, I'm not going to give them any money if they aren't willing to use their frankly insane profits to support developers that deserve it.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
I had no idea Roll7 latest games bombed :/

OlliOlli world had great reviews so I expected it to do well financially.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really how corporations work. That secures the specific teams working on that franchise at most, but it doesn't act as a parachute for the whole company, and really that is reckless as hell conceptually. I work in a nuclear power plant among 4 other plants, if mine is doing poorly and the others are doing amazingly, they are still gonna shut my plant down. This is effectively how all businesses are ran to ensure they are all doing sufficient or growing financially, or at least turning a profit.

Of course, one can argue the morality of it all, but still. Nintendo seems to be one of the few huge companies that sort of does operate that way, but even that isn't without reason. They respect their developers and realize they are vital to keeping their brands powerful, and propping up their entire business, but if Nintendo was no longer a platform holder, they likely would end up having to make decisions like this far more. Simply put, a good platform holder knows you need diversity and portfolio builders to make the best healthy ecosystem you can, but once you're in third party space, it's pure cut throat top money seeking only, which is what we're seeing a lot of recently.
You don't need to write an essay. One word is enough. Greed.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Awful news

Rollerdrome was an amazing game

I hope all the devs land on their feet and manage to continue with the extremely high output they're capable of

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
You don't need to write an essay. One word is enough. Greed.

A total lack of understanding a vital facet of our society was illustrated, so it felt reasonable to explain why that literally is never how general business has functioned in our lifetimes. We can hate the system, and I'm sure almost all of us do, but the fundamental issue is far deeper than 'business makes money, can't lay anyone off'.

I'd love to know I can't be fired if my company is thriving overall, but most of us in the US won't get that luxury unless actual laws and social structure change, but that's an entirely different subject. That's all I have to say about that, sorry for disrupting the natural outrage flow, I'm not happy about it or this industry either.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah definitely done with Take Two as a publisher, including GTA, I'm not going to give them any money if they aren't willing to use their frankly insane profits to support developers that deserve it.

Agreed, although it's not a hard call to make. I was willing to give the new GTA a chance after being done with the series, but it's nothing I really need or am even all that interested in personally. It's hard to purposefully not buy a company's output when they don't make anything I'd want to give them money for in the first place any more.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Rollerdrome and OO World are both amazing...

Hopefully they split off and carry on their creativity.

Wish these publishers would just let these companies split off by themselves, instead of butchering them.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Terrible News.

If these layoffs keep up at this scale I get the feeling the industry heads will start to be flipped. If you bleed this much talent, eventually the talent will go make games without these big publishers. On top of it its breeding a bitter and untrusting talent pool that may not sell out to these big publishers so easily next time. The behavior is just becoming so reckless. What is the point of working for these places when even if you succeed, they pull the plug?

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
A total lack of understanding a vital facet of our society was illustrated, so it felt reasonable to explain why that literally is never how general business has functioned in our lifetimes. We can hate the system, and I'm sure almost all of us do, but the fundamental issue is far deeper than 'business makes money, can't lay anyone off'.

I'd love to know I can't be fired if my company is thriving overall, but most of us in the US won't get that luxury unless actual laws and social structure change, but that's an entirely different subject. That's all I have to say about that, sorry for disrupting the natural outrage flow, I'm not happy about it or this industry either.
the issue with your thinking is that you assume Roll7 wasn't thriving. They were. That doesn't matter. They are victims of a ritual sacrifice done for the sole purpose of pumping up stock market values. That's all this is. We have all been gaslit to think this is normal and acceptable instead of the insanity that it is.
One million *players* after two years and being on Game Pass and being a PS+ monthly giveaway is pretty awful my dude.

Take Two still sucks but yeah.
i'm confused, do you think Rollerdrome is an AAA release with a 100 million dollar budget? One million players is not "pretty awful", at all and is well within their previous sucessful game releases. If T2 bought them thinking they could turn them into a 10 million sales studio, then the only people that should be losing their jobs here would be the insane executives at the top.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
OlliOlli World is, no exaggeration, probably a Top Ten platformers of all time.

It's sublime as you get further into it. It looks good, it sounds good, but most importantly, it plays GREAT and the difficulty really ramps up later on. It's disguised a skate game, but it has more in common with Celeste or something than THPS.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like how you are framing this, but to answer your question Bioware seems like a studio that has gotten a lot of second chances.
They only second chance they got is Anthem really. The Bioware that made Andromeda Bioware Montreal was merged into EA Motive after Andromeda flopped. Though it sounded like the relationship between the Bioware studios weren't great so that might have been a big factor in that too.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's really unfortunate but not at all surprising. I know the original KSP was a surprise hit, but from what I've heard, 2 has been a disaster in general. I don't think any of the Roll7 games have been hits commercially. You can only release good games that don't sell for so long before you lose funding.

Oct 25, 2017
the issue with your thinking is that you assume Roll7 wasn't thriving. They were. That doesn't matter. They are victims of a ritual sacrifice done for the sole purpose of pumping up stock market values. That's all this is. We have all been gaslit to think this is normal and acceptable instead of the insanity that it is.

i'm confused, do you think Rollerdrome is an AAA release with a 100 million dollar budget? One million players is not "pretty awful", at all and is well within their previous sucessful game releases. If T2 bought them thinking they could turn them into a 10 million sales studio, then the only people that should be losing their jobs here would be the insane executives at the top.

I think it's unfortunate since these games apparently are quality and beloved by some people here, but they don't appear to be commercially successful. I agree that 1 million players is not awful, except did that translate into revenue? It's not 1 million sold. And steam reviews are under 2k, extremely low for a ~2 year old game. Player count is extremely low. And this is all true, if not worse, for OlliOlli World.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's unfortunate since these games apparently are quality and beloved by some people here, but they don't appear to be commercially successful. I agree that 1 million players is not awful, except did that translate into revenue? It's not 1 million sold. And steam reviews are under 2k, extremely low for a ~2 year old game. Player count is extremely low. And this is all true, if not worse, for OlliOlli World.
Are the people that signed off on buying the studios losing their jobs too?

Rigby-Nick

Aug 5, 2022
Take-Two is just a poor starving publisher, makes sense. *hits GTA 6 with broom to hide it back under rug*

Apr 5, 2022
First KeokeN now Roll7. Man, today fucking sucks

Whooooa! I'm just finding out about this! KeokeN was responsible for Deliver Us Mars right? So the whole company just died or just staff let go? Sad that this even happened and It really bothers me when companies let go their staff, I was hoping for a final Deliver game that would tie up the story! ;-;

Dec 6, 2017
US

I ask for them and also buy them. What am I supposed to do, buy 200,000 copies of Rollerdome? The people asking for them aren't the ones not showing up.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Can someone explain to me why publishers always shut these studios down, is it not an option to sell them or just let them go independent?

Oct 25, 2017
Are the people that signed off on buying the studios losing their jobs too?

And if that is true, are you relishing in the fact that more people have lost their jobs?

Of course I have no idea. I don't think your rhetorical question is as deep as you think. Roll7 was a private company. The owners sold it to Take2. And do you think they'd be better off financially if that had never happened, and their games just sold as poorly? I think it's not clear but if you actually think through it logically I don't think they'd suddenly be in a better position... but we'll never know.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
Olli Olli was sucessful
so was Olli Olli 2
Take Two literally bought them up before World was out, and World was more successful than 1 and 2. literally every single one of their games is more commercially successful than the last. That's not the issue here. T2 is shutting them down as sacrificial goats to pump up stocks prices cause they're not GAAS devs bringing in millions in exploitative MTXs.
And if that is true, are you relishing in the fact that more people have lost their jobs?

Of course I have no idea. I don't think your rhetorical question is as deep as you think. Roll7 was a private company. The owners sold it to Take2. And do you think they'd be better off financially if that had never happened, and their games just sold as poorly? I think it's not clear but if you actually think through it logically I don't think they'd suddenly be in a better position... but we'll never know.
Roll7 would 100% be open today if they weren't aqquired, yes. Not a single one of their game has bombed and each one sold more than the last.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me why publishers always shut these studios down, is it not an option to sell them or just let them go independent?
That probably requires more time and effort and the suits don't care enough to do that, especially as they probably won't get a lot if sold. They just want to cut costs, fuck everyone impacted basically.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I keep wondering with all the closures and cutting of staff lately, when you add on the issue of dev times growing ever larger, when do we hit the point that release schedules become too anemic? Like there has to be a cliff coming

It's really unfortunate but not at all surprising. I know the original KSP was a surprise hit, but from what I've heard, 2 has been a disaster in general. I don't think any of the Roll7 games have been hits commercially. You can only release good games that don't sell for so long before you lose funding.
Tbh the problem with KSP2 is a mix of things, some bigger and smaller issues. The main road block was the early access price being basically the price of a full game and a higher price than KSP ever reached that I'm aware of personally. That stuck in people's craw and got the negative word of mouth moving. A smaller issue would be the game releasing with a slim feature set, slimmer that KSP1. I think this was expected by most fans, but combined with the high price it becomes a bigger factor.

Then from there we've had really slow progress in EA, which again I think fans expected as the first game was pretty glacial too, but this is after being shuffled from one studio to another, and a pandemic between it, it was essentially incredibly far behind schedule by its current state and was probably expected to be released and onto dlc by now.

I think it's pretty sad how it ended up as there's people on the team who really love the IP and wanted to deliver on the promises. It's quite possible they also bear some responsibility in having optimistic windows and falling behind, but I'm personally of the opinion that the project was largely sabotaged by Take Two by the high price and EA starting before it should have, setting the narrative as a largely negative one and giving them and uphill battle