Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Outer Worlds will probably get a nice bump this fall with the DLC and Steam release. Excited to see what Obsidian does with it in the future.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy about the BL3 numbers. Hopefully they see the success and are willing to go for a BL4 next gen.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Only on Era can a game sell 35 million copies and people consider that slow and poor.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Solid amount of sales for an AA game.

Can't wait to see Outer Worlds 2. Hopefully it gets a bigger budget.
I don't.

My biggest hope for MS/Gamepass is that we see tons of iterative AA-scale games. The kind of scale where you can take risks, and rapidly iterate on things that work.

Don't get me wrong. If there's a talented studio that has a grand vision, I want them to have the resources to realize that vision. But at the same time, I think that developers fall back on scale to make their games significant / important / worthy of a $60 purchase. And my hope with Gamepass (or any subscription service) is that, when you remove the requirement that your game needs to justify a $60 purchase, the focus can be on producing an all-killer-no-filler gaming experience that just needs to be a fun, satisfying experience.

A great example is CupHead. I feel like if it was something that MS was just looking to release on Gamepass, it could have stuck to its original roots as a boss rush game and been released two years earlier (that's just a guess, but I'm not sure it's unreasonable). Would it have been as good of an overall game? Maybe not. But would it have been 80% as good? Probably! And after launch the developers could decide how they wanted to iterate on that going forward.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
RDR1 sold 15m through 2016 (6 years after launch). RDR2 is double that in under 2. Seems good.
Rockstar released a lot more games in that generation, including 2 GTA games. Let's not pretend RDR2 sakes are poor, but I have to imagine Take Two aren't happy with the sales given the low output and development time (and frss as nkkg money).

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar released a lot more games in that generation, including 2 GTA games. Let's not pretend RDR2 sakes are poor, but I have to imagine Take Two aren't happy with the sales given the low output and development time (and frss as nkkg money).
Again, Take Two would be out of their minds to scoff at a property that sold 32 million units in less than two years. It's the second or third best selling game this generation. Red Dead is an absolute monster.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't.

My biggest hope for MS/Gamepass is that we see tons of iterative AA-scale games. The kind of scale where you can take risks, and rapidly iterate on things that work.

Don't get me wrong. If there's a talented studio that has a grand vision, I want them to have the resources to realize that vision. But at the same time, I think that developers fall back on scale to make their games significant / important / worthy of a $60 purchase. And my hope with Gamepass (or any subscription service) is that, when you remove the requirement that your game needs to justify a $60 purchase, the focus can be on producing an all-killer-no-filler gaming experience that just needs to be a fun, satisfying experience.

A great example is CupHead. I feel like if it was something that MS was just looking to release on Gamepass, it could have stuck to its original roots as a boss rush game and been released two years earlier (that's just a guess, but I'm not sure it's unreasonable). Would it have been as good of an overall game? Maybe not. But would it have been 80% as good? Probably! And after launch the developers could decide how they wanted to iterate on that going forward.

Disagree. Outer Worlds was a fun, but limited game. You can tell they wanted to do more with the world, but didn't have the time or resources. It felt static and in some ways, unfinished.You might be fine with that but I'm not.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
all that and they remain one of the most exploitative companies out there in terms of mtx. fuck take two

everyone shits on EA for MUT/FUT but 2K/GTA are just as bad, if not worse.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It's selling better than every GTA but GTA5. RDR2 sales are only poor in comparison to GTA5, but so is everything but Minecraft in that comparison.

So true. Can't believe we are in a time where 30+ million is almost considered disappointing lol. GTA 5 is an absolute phenomenon and no game should really be compared to it because it's not fair

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
recently replayed gta 5 and it deserves every one of these 135 million sold copies. i have some problems with the games story and the gameplay feels a little too slow but still the amount of effort rockstar put into this game is just insane. rockstar plays in their own league when it comes to open world games.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine believing that rdr2 number is bad. Lol. Game will continue selling and if they update or make another version to sell next gen the number will pick up.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
It is a joke they are launching GTA v for next gen only 2nd half of 2021?

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
NBA 2K got the streets its pretty much the only console game gamblers play. That used to be Madden back in the PS2 days.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I don't care. To state 32m is poor, blows my mind.
So, I guess "poor" needs to be contextualized in terms of expected revenue.

Let's assume that Rockstar decided that RDR2 should be a $1B game. A smash hit of the highest order. So, how do we get there?

Let's assume that Rockstar spent $100m advertising the game, and that they get 2/3 of the revenue from each sale (since retailers / platform holders get a cut of each sale to customers). These are just rough estimates, but probably not wildly off.

Let's also assume that the average retail price for each copy of RDR2 sold to date is $45. So, you take 32m copies, and multiply times $45 and you get $1.44B. Then you assume that platform holders are taking 1/3, and you get $960m. Then you take away the $100m of advertising expense, and you get $860m. Of course, that's before any microtransactions / DLC. But honestly, I can't even begin to guess at what those figures look like.

$860m is less than our hypothetical goal of $1B, but not wildly so. It's still a shit-ton of net proceeds, and has clearly been profitable to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Hard to describe that as "poor" in comparison to any game other than GTA/Fortnite.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm trying to figure out how anyone thinks 32 MILLION copies sold is...bad?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all know GTAV didn't sell 135m copies in its first year, right? After it'd hit the two-year mark (about where RDR2 is now) it had sold about 52 million copies. That's factoring in the PS4/X1 re-release + the insane popularity of GTA Online.

32m for RDR2 in two years is fucking nuts by any metric. It'll likely sell even more when the new consoles hit and Rockstar repackages it.

It'll definitely never touch GTAV's numbers, mostly due to Red Dead Online not having nearly the same appeal as GTAO, but it's a game that will continue to sell huge numbers well into the next gen.

Oct 25, 2017
14 million people bought nba 2k20? Wut?

I'm shocked that you or anyone else is shocked that NBA 2K does those numbers.

The Outer Worlds selling 2.8 million seems nuts to me tbh.

Well deserved, IMO. It was my #2 in GotY last year and would have been #1 if I left out remakes of past-released games. I am pleased that the marketing got it to almost 3M. The Switch release seemed to go well, also, based on last month's NPD.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord another 5 million for GTA V? That's the largest amount per quarter since 2013. Crazy.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that gtav has sold more than every single Resident Evil game combined

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing that they could update more, I expected this game to be a western-GTA. Just my opinion.
LOL are fucking serious? I mean,the difference in sales from GTAV to the second best selling open world with an urban setting is probably as much as the difference from Red Dead Redemption 2 to the second best selling western open world(not counting the first game),so yeah,it is the western GTAV easy.
And seriously,32M in less than 2 years is better than 99% of every game ever did in all their existence,this game will sell 40M at least,more than every GTA but GTAV,more than any Pokémon ? really underwhelming,and some folks here concerned about the IP,if Rockstar never makes another RDR is because the story is done,not because sold less than GTAV.
Let me put it the other way. No AAA Game will beat it, perhaps the sequel.
But good point though!
I don't think GTAVI will beat,at least life time numbers,with a huge base it can beat initial pacing sales,but the stars was align to GTAV,and still is,so expecting GTAVI to sell better,or even close,only if we wait another 10 years to GTAVII and an entire gen,I hope not.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Great results for RDR2. If they only would focus on the singleplayer aspect rather than RDO.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
GTA5 has already sold around 15 million units in 2020 as of June. It'll fight with Minecraft and Animal Crossing for most units of software sold this year (Cyberpunk is probably releasing too late to have a chance, even if it immediately becomes a huge hit).