ara

Oct 26, 2017
Great, I was afraid they wouldn't have included it this time. Really looking forward to laughing at the same garbage "joke" for the one hundred and seventeenth time, it just never gets old!

Not

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't these developers called out every year and nothing changes when it comes from japan? All this means is that they'll just stop bringing them to the west like they did with that other moe garbage stuff, it won't actually stop them from making the games.

I think western press has limited interaction with these big studio Japanese developers. I think it's going to be up to Japan to make a fuss.

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
Edit: Aight I know where this usually goes, that's on me.

Yes you can like JRPGs and not be explicitly in support of Creepy Anime Bullshit, that doesn't suddenly mean Creepy Anime Bullshit needs to be a constant background radiation in this kind of game all the time and anyone who's fine with it, as in explicitly, openly in favour of it as opposed to begrudgingly tolerating it like the rest of us, should probably stop being a main market focus.

Keep in mind Resetera is extremely progressive relatively to the general gaming audience and a lot of folks here love that stuff. Most honestly do not care unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
I'm just saying us as a western audience, and the non poc who are critiquing, have to be extremely careful and diligent when critiquing and discussing another's culture and humor. Because of the history of cultural imperialism and our country history of down playing other peoples culture as lesser than. I spent my whole life listening to people talk about how hip hop is terrible, sexist, racist or how (insert black film here) is ghetto, poorly written etc without trying to understand the culture that produced the content. So I'm saying when a trope is consistent in a form of media/art from another culture, lets understand why it's there, while acknowledging it as unacceptable here, but also understanding that the culture to where it came from is different and why is it so prevalent there.

You can't really expect people here to care about the cultural background behind hot spring/bathhouse comedy scenes when the only examples they're exposed to are the generally poorly written and/or sexist scenes in your average game or anime. To be honest, considering the makeup of the board comparing it to black culture being decried won't have much of an effect either.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's bad.

The lack of creativity on these is so suffocating, it'd be cool if there were some examples of being not completely tasteless and having some unique and funny spin. I don't know how one manages to fill nine minutes with this shit and not feel compelled to scrap it completely.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Jhoto

I do think there are valid concerns here over the potential of criticism to be generalized into racist outlooks, like losing sight of the fact that we don't have a view of Japanese culture as a whole, and instead have a view distorted through the lens of what is most popular for export. Anime and manga made for young men are vastly more popular and so disseminated more commonly than anime and manga made for adult women, so we're going to have more exposure to tropes that are designed for young men rather than adult women.

But coming from another culture does not mean that the media is incapable of causing harm, and does not mean that the media itself cannot target people who are more vulnerable than who it most represents. These hot spring scenes are generally exploiting women, but they're generally made by and for men and boys. The power dynamic at play is visible even outside of Japanese culture.

Bluntly, using criticism of the culture around hip hop as a comparison ignores how much of that criticism is similarly about Black men targeting vulnerable groups, including Black women and LGBT Black people. That's not to say that all criticism is valid, but for example, it's readily apparently that when A Tribe Called Quest created "Georgie Porgie", they were contributing to the marginalization of homosexual men, enough so that their record label label refused to include it - there is no context that undoes that fact.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Is it actually lower or is it lower due to a lack of reporting? Because for one example, Japan has a very big issue with groping on trains to the point that certain lines made female-only passenger cars to keep women from being assaulted.

There's also the notices on the escalators that yes, it is indeed not permitted to stick a camera under someone's skirt so please don't do that.

Japan is super safe and has very low crime rates in most respects, but in this case I think there's definitely a lack of reporting.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in the age of endless rule34 idk why devs feel the need to include this in their games anymore. fans will make sfm and hentai anyways of their waifus. let them do this stuff on some shady booru site out of site
Word. Milk your wiener or whatever you gotta do outside of the game. This scene just looks awfully tacked on for no reason whatsoever.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Disappointing, but expected. This happens with such regularity in some franchises, you'd expect it to be part of their union contracts or something.

If you insist on having horny comedy scenes though, can you at the very least not make it so they're at the expense of someone? If the intention is that these scenes are supposed to be fun and flirty, you're not accomplishing that by turning your characters into predators and victims. I do wonder if the people who like these scenes aren't tired of them yet, given how they're almost always the fucking same.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I would understand if it began to be cut in certain localizations. I mean, we cut content in media that goes to China, or even in japan, so I wouldn't really be against it if it was cut in American versions...but your point to bathhouses and bathhouse hijinx being something that Americans don't really understand is kind of what my point was. We have hijinx and hijinx that play on the sexual aspects of human nature. For the most part bathhouse hijinx usually involve people of similar ages. I think to MHA or Naruto which all had them. I don't find them funny personally, but on the flip side theres a ton in those shows that my mother would watch and not find funny either. I just think we should be sensative when looking at these things through our western gaze and not judging it as wrong and our take on things as right. Then when people get extra defensive if your take isn't "this is 100% unacceptable, remove it" is when the people who do mean right become blinded by their own cultural biases by trying to be more accepting. My whole point is lets understand why these are so prevalent in so much of their media going back to even when they were doing art work on woodblocks.

I don't think Japanese bathhouse culture needs to be excluded. But surely writers can write onsen scenes around the culture of relaxing and enjoying, of friends and family having a nice good time, without going into sexual harassment territory isn't it?

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually they might want to care since overseas sales potential has been increasing over the years while the Japanese market continues to shrink. Especially if you are not Nintendo or a Nintendo focused 3ed party company.

They don't need to care, Era is not representative of the larger gaming population and it's one of the few places where things like this will get called out. I doubt the presence of hot spring/beach scenes negatively affect their bottom line, if at all.

0QWfVlZ.png

sV3u8OC.png

xZeRzsP.png

May 26, 2018
I wonder if you could have a JRPG that starts this way, where the women immediately end their friendships with all the men and the rest of the story follows the women who remain heroines.

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
I wonder if you could have a JRPG that starts this way, where the women immediately end their friendships with all the men and the rest of the story follows the women who remain heroines.
It would bomb. JRPGs are mostly aimed at the male audience and they enjoy it. Refer to SephiZack (#112) post above, it's obvious.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Eventually they might want to care since overseas sales potential has been increasing over the years while the Japanese market continues to shrink. Especially if you are not Nintendo or a Nintendo focused 3ed party company.
jRPGs are doing better than ever with many series having their peak sales this gen. I suspect arise will be the best selling tales of game.

Jun 24, 2021
As far as anime fanservice goes this is as tame as it gets and it still sucks. At least if you're going to include a hot springs scene make something unique with it. Why is it always the same tired joke? The only trope that would've made this shit even more tired is if a guy tripped into one of the girls' boobs and ended up being slapped in the face despite his fall being clearly accidental. Said trope was included, word for word, in one of the Trails of Cold Steel games.

Jun 24, 2021
jRPGs are doing better than ever with many series having their peak sales this gen. I suspect arise will be the best selling tales of game.
It better be. Namco clearly invested the highest budget the series has ever seen and it's not even close when compared to previous entries. Anything less than the best sales the franchise has ever seen should be seen as a disappointment at best and a failure at worst.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Are there any anime inspired games that don't do this? Persona 5 Royal Strikers and all the preceding games have this as some sort of tradition and rarely gets called out. Not surprised one bit.

Personally I have grown out of anime games because I can't ignore the sexism and homophobia. Perhaps western reviewers can shine light on this in their reviews.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Criticizes thing that happens in a small pool of fiction in one kind of media made in a country of 120 million people*

I cannot BELIEVE you are being HATEFUL towards ALL OF JAPANESE CULTURE

Keep in mind Resetera is extremely progressive relatively to the general gaming audience and a lot of folks here love that stuff. Most honestly do not care unfortunately.
Why is "sexual harassment, including sexual harassment of minors, is not funny" a progressive stance instead of a universally accepted standard of basic decency.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any anime inspired games that don't do this? Persona 5 Royal and all the preceding games have this as some sort of tradition and rarely gets called out. Not surprised one bit.

Personally I have grown out of anime games because I can't ignore the sexism and homophobia. Perhaps western reviewers can shine light on this in their reviews.

I don't think FF does this? But that's maybe not anime enough.

Deleted member 99377

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Are there any anime inspired games that don't do this? Persona 5 Royal and all the preceding games have this as some sort of tradition and rarely gets called out. Not surprised one bit.
Ironically I don't think Persona 5 Royal has a hot spring scene, you might be thinking of the spinoff game. Only other current "anime" game without I can think of is FFXV, but that is for obvious reasons.

I don't think FF does this? But that's maybe not anime enough.

I think X-2 had one, depends on which FF on how anime it gets lol

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Ironically I don't think Persona 5 Royal has a hot spring scene, you might be thinking of the spinoff game.

My bad, made the correction, it was Strikers. Haven't played any recent persona games so got it mixed up. But I did see a thread here calling out Strikers for bringing back the hot springs scene due to popular fan demand which is gross.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any anime inspired games that don't do this? Persona 5 Strikers and all the preceding games have this as some sort of tradition and rarely gets called out. Not surprised one bit.

Okay so here's the thing.

Tales is junk food lowest common denominator anime for teenagers. It's there as an expression of all of its most basic tropes, but that's because it's made for a basic audience. So's Xenoblade 2, as an example. A game that looks like that, with character designed like that, written like that, it's made for otaku first.

Like you can watch Odd Taxi and it's a show for older audiences (and also it's about cartoon animals) and the main character is 41. You don't get scenes like this, the most you get is two characters in bed with each other post-coitus.

Anime's a whole big that we kind of exclusively get fed through Shonen, the most bottom of the barrel kind of anime, and most of our JRPGs are Shonen so it filters into our cool RPGs that we're having a ball with and then WHOOPS creepy anime bullshit time.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I feel like japanese animation/manga/games are perpetually stuck in the 90s when it's about stuff like this.

This would probably change if they tried to reach the outside Japan mainstream but i feel like the average joe wouldn't play Jrpgs either way. It's frustrating but we are kind of hostages of otaku people (Including the western ones) to make these games sell enough to stay afloat.

I just never understood why people seriously looks for fap material in a videogame when there's so many easily accessed free stuff on the internet already.

Oct 25, 2017
"Hot spring's accident" was like part of their comedic tradition and sadly, they're still in bound with Japanese's media.
And i'm sorry to hear about your friend. It must be awful traumatized.
Defending the depiction of people peeping on and exposing themselves to children as being culturally important to Japan feels like it could be more insulting than the act of being critical of it.
Spot-on.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hot spring's accident" was like part of their comedic tradition and sadly, they're still exist in Japanese's media.
And i'm sorry to hear about your friend. It must be awful traumatized.

Spot-on.
Seriously.

These fucking otaku think they're so clever going "oh but if you hate anime that means you hate Japan :))))" as if they aren't boiling down an entire country to some fucking trashy otaku wish fulfillment.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they still include this when iirc that women make up most of the player base (and merch buying base) of the Tales of series. Christ I thought this shit would have left once Baba was out. Then again i don't know if this was in ToB or ToZ as I skipped those 2 titles.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I never doubted there would be a hot springs scene.
I was a bit surprised, but that's more a result of me overestimating just how Westernized I had thought Arise was relative to other Tales games in respect to general sensibilities and overall presentation toward the end of appealing to a more global audience.
As far as anime fanservice goes this is as tame as it gets and it still sucks. At least if you're going to include a hot springs scene make something unique with it. Why is it always the same tired joke? The only trope that would've made this shit even more tired is if a guy tripped into one of the girls' boobs and ended up being slapped in the face despite his fall being clearly accidental. Said trope was included, word for word, in one of the Trails of Cold Steel games.
Two Cold Steel games (the first, and the third).

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was a bit surprised, but that's more a result of me overestimating just how Westernized I had thought Arise was relative to other Tales games in respect to general sensibilities and overall presentation toward the end of appealing to a more global audience.
I wouldn't be surprised if they eat watermelon in a beach in swimsuit and bikini

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
it's barely westernized at all if at all. It's mostly just bigger budget though there are some really muddy textures in places especially on characters.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Okay so here's the thing.

Tales is junk food lowest common denominator anime for teenagers. It's there as an expression of all of its most basic tropes, but that's because it's made for a basic audience. So's Xenoblade 2, as an example. A game that looks like that, with character designed like that, written like that, it's made for otaku first.

Like you can watch Odd Taxi and it's a show for older audiences (and also it's about cartoon animals) and the main character is 41. You don't get scenes like this, the most you get is two characters in bed with each other post-coitus.

Anime's a whole big that we kind of exclusively get fed through Shonen, the most bottom of the barrel kind of anime, and most of our JRPGs are Shonen so it filters into our cool RPGs that we're having a ball with and then WHOOPS creepy anime bullshit time.

Yeah makes sense considering I am 30 and this kind of humor or characters don't interest me one bit. I mean just looking at the gameplay of this game, the male protag has proper armor, medieval themed and the female wears a pony tail, skimpy gown and high heels during combat.Lol.

Yakuza-Like a Dragon was a fun JRPG with a 40 year old protag that did have some sexist/pervy hang ups from previous games but the cringe was largely tolerable.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Good ol Tales. I can't wait to reach this scene. Gee I sure hope the girls also compare their breast sizes and grope in amazement the biggest boobs in the room. It's just so so funny. Hahaha just like one of my Japanese anime.

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I can't argue about the peeping being wrong, because it is.
But i can't wrap my head around how seeing a naked man in a non dangerous situation could ever be traumatizing for a 14 year old girl. If it was some perverted guy flashing you randomly at night on the street than it is understandable but the traumatizin part would be the danger you are posssibly in at that moment and still not the being naked part. But just seeing a naked man without danger, i can't believe that that could be traumatizing, especially if there was no perverted intent at all.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
But i can't wrap my head around how seeing a naked man in a non dangerous situation could ever be traumatizing for a 14 year old girl. If it was some perverted guy flashing you randomly at night on the street than it is understandable but the traumatizin part would be the danger you are posssibly in at that moment and still not the being naked part. But just seeing a naked man without danger, i can't believe that that could be traumatizing, especially if there was no perverted intent at all.

I don't think it's a good look to try and decide what should or shouldn't be traumatizing for other people.
It seems like it could go in a direction you might not intend.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
It's jarring these games see nothing dissonant about the male heroes being voyeuristic creeps who think it's a rite of passage to sexually harass their female friends and then talk all about righteousness/justice for the rest of the game

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I just never understood why people seriously looks for fap material in a videogame when there's so many easily accessed free stuff on the internet already.
Well, there are also porn games. Although we're opening up a whole other can of worms when it comes to porn, both in terms of the tropes that would be common there and the "easily accessed free stuff" bit.

That said, I don't think this particular trope would commonly play out the same way in actual porn because they can display sexuality more straightforwardly.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Anime gonna anime. I like to think most people are sick of it at this point even amongst what's supposed to be their "target audience" but they still keep doing it so I'm probably completely wrong.

Like, if your work is designed to be arousing or perverse from the word go then whatever, you do you, but this kind of thing being so pervasive in otherwise more benign works is, at best, annoying.

*Shonen gonna shonen.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

Some events that are innocuous for one person can be deeply affecting for another. It's best to accommodate some public decency so that we don't accidentally hurt people.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
*Criticizes thing that happens in a small pool of fiction in one kind of media made in a country of 120 million people*

I cannot BELIEVE you are being HATEFUL towards ALL OF JAPANESE CULTURE

excuse ME, but I do believe you're being RACIST towards the INNATE horniness that defines Japan's culture as evident in my never-ending consumption of power fantasy video games and you're just advocating for COLONIALISM

Oct 26, 2017
But surely writers can write onsen scenes around the culture of relaxing and enjoying, of friends and family having a nice good time, without going into sexual harassment territory isn't it?
I know most people here hate Xenoblade 2 for its Blade designs and its excessive anime tropes but the Hotspring scene there is something like this. Just Poppi playing around, Nia and Mythra relaxing and getting to know each other. Plus 2 other nopons. The worst thing is a panning shot of Nia looking at Mythra and saying "Nice bod". It also establishes a mystery with Nia.

I watched the Arise video and it's the hundreds of hotspring scenes I've scene in anime.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
User banned (1 month): Dismissing commentary about scenes of sexual harassment
Eh, I don't mind too much. A little juvenile, yes, but whatever. I admittedly haven't seen the scenes (playing game right now and don't want spoilers)... As long as it doesn't play out into the gals comparing boob sizes and one proceeding to grope another quite un-willingly (the Trails series- which I otherwise adore- actually goes here a few times , and yeah, its pretty messed up), then I'm fine.

Usually these scenes amounts to horny dude wants to sneak a peak, or gets "dared" to do so, does a bad job being sneaky, is caught, and gets his ass kicked by the girls- which yes, juvenile and tropey, and not really all that funny, but is mostly harmless.

Tales games traditionally are probably only a 1 or 2 out of 10 in my personal "fan-service meter" (I have played/seen a lot of anime products, with a whole lot of lewd happenings of various degrees of wackiness) so they really don't push much buttons there comparatively to a lot of other stuff, so I doubt Arise has anything all that outrageously bad that will just send the masses away in disgust.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't mind too much. A little juvenile, yes, but whatever. I admittedly haven't seen the scenes (playing game right now and don't want spoilers)... As long as it doesn't play out into the gals comparing boob sizes and one proceeding to grope another quite un-willingly (the Trails series- which I otherwise adore- actually goes here a few times , and yeah, its pretty messed up), then I'm fine.

Usually these scenes amounts to horny dude wants to sneak a pick, or gets "dared" to do so, does a bad job being sneaky, is caught, and gets his ass kicked by the girls- which yes, juvenile and tropey, and not really all that funny, but is mostly harmless.

Tales games traditionally are probably only a 1 or 2 out of 10 in my personal "fan-service meter" (I have played/seen a lot of anime products, with a whole lot of lewd happenings of various degrees of wackiness) so they really don't push much buttons there comparatively to a lot of other stuff, so I doubt Arise has anything all that outrageously bad that will just send the masses away in disgust.
This happens except the dude doing it is going "it'll make me a real man" and one of his victims is 14.

It's not harmless, it normalizes the idea that men can be sex pests and still be funny, likeable and good-hearted.