• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Played this some on my iPad Pro (via Moonlight) while my wife was watching Netflix, and man the colors really pop on that screen!

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
What a tonic for this tired out gamer...I have been in a bit of slump gaming wise this past month or so... nothing was clicking and with the holidays I kind of disconnected from some of the big narrative games I had been playing...

This game however has revitalised me, so charming and I love the aesthetic.

I went for the switch version which does have it's niggles but after a few hours the game itself overrides any problems I have with framerates and dips because it just sooooo good /gush

Anyway, how do I access the DLC items? And is it possible to switch voice languages after your initial selection?

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Achievements, some items, and a costume for Yuri which you can now get from the free DLC anyway.

It's also worth noting that in the Definitive Edition you can easily get the secret missions post-game since you can refight the bosses associated with them.
Do you miss anything if you unlock the costumes that come with the DLC early? Or can you still complete the tasks that are normally tied to the costume? Would be a shame if the game punishes the player for unlocking them early. I don't know if any of said costumes are tied to sidequests, but I don't want to get locked from any content.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, how do I access the DLC items? And is it possible to switch voice languages after your initial selection?

If you've downloaded the DLC, they'll be in your inventory, in their own tab.

The language selection occurs every time you open the game, so you can change it by reopening.

Do you miss anything if you unlock the costumes that come with the DLC early? Or can you still complete the tasks that are normally tied to the costume? Would be a shame if the game punishes the player for unlocking them early. I don't know if any of said costumes are tied to sidequests, but I don't want to get locked from any content.

You can still do the content that unlocks them naturally.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am wondering the same

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So is the Switch port solid?

Heading out to buy a game and this could be it.
I'm a couple of hours in and I think it's fine. 60FPS in battles with no noticeable drops (so far), and variable framerate in towns/dungeons and on the world map. In smaller areas with not a lot going on, it stays at 60, but in places with a lot of reflections, NPCs, etc., it can dip to probably around 45-50. The worst place is on the world map (I swear it gets to like 25 at times), but it doesn't feel unplayable or anything.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple of hours in and I think it's fine. 60FPS in battles with no noticeable drops (so far), and variable framerate in towns/dungeons and on the world map. In smaller areas with not a lot going on, it stays at 60, but in places with a lot of reflections, NPCs, etc., it can dip to probably around 45-50. The worst place is on the world map (I swear it gets to like 25 at times), but it doesn't feel unplayable or anything.

Isn't it 30fps outside of fights? Perhaps that's why you feel a slowdown...unless it goes below 30 in those instances as well.

I think I'll buy it...it's been years since I played on the 360.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So guys,how's the PC version? I'm still pissed about Catherine so I want to be sure this one is good before purchasing...
Is it a good port? I heard this was the best Tales but it got middling reviews.

I'm playing on PC with a 1070Ti at 4K 60fps.
The game runs great but sometimes it stutters a little and we're hoping a patch gets released. It's minor though and I'm still having a great time.
Works great with my Dualshock 4 with no adjustments necessary.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it 30fps outside of fights? Perhaps that's why you feel a slowdown...unless it goes below 30 in those instances as well.

I think I'll buy it...it's been years since I played on the 360.
Namco said it would be 30FPS outside of fights a while ago, but that isn't the case. I haven't run into a single part of the game that stays at a steady 30. It's always above or a little below.

Again though, it doesn't bother me. The battles have all been 60 so far, and the framerate elsewhere hasn't felt bad to me. It's still a lot of fun.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh Yuri's voice swapping really is annoying. Oh well I guess I can live with it.

Y'all weren't kidding about hard mode though. Guess I got too used to sweeping everything since the last time I played this was with 10x exp and the wonderfully broken Fell Arms lol.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some scenes Grant George does a decent Troy impersonation and others the difference is jarring af. As much as I love Troy Baker as Yuri I feel like a complete recast would've been a better choice, like Teddie and Chie in P4G.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nostalgia must have clouded my memories of this game, because this combat is terrible at the start. Zagi's second phase was fucking annoying to the point where he only randomly allowed me to move.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some scenes Grant George does a decent Troy impersonation and others the difference is jarring af. As much as I love Troy Baker as Yuri I feel like a complete recast would've been a better choice, like Teddie and Chie in P4G.

Agreed. As weird as it is to say I think I'd prefer a single, consistently average voice rather than bouncing between separate average and amazing voices. He's not terrible, but so far I feel like new Yuri sounds too enthusiastic next to Troy's more chill vibe.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
You can still do the content that unlocks them naturally.
Thanks a lot! :)

Another question, does anyone know how many dialogue there is in battles in Vesperia, aside from the typical quips and battle cries? It's been ages since I last played the game, but I think that there was story dialogue in some boss battles (but don't know for sure). I'm tempted to play with the Japanese audio but I'm afraid I'll miss some important dialogue this way.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh Yuri's voice swapping really is annoying. Oh well I guess I can live with it.

Y'all weren't kidding about hard mode though. Guess I got too used to sweeping everything since the last time I played this was with 10x exp and the wonderfully broken Fell Arms lol.
Yeah, it's so jarring. The new guy doesn't sound anything like him at all.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can't even change to Easy once if I want grades at the end of the game, is that right?
There's no reason to ever change the difficulty to easy. A much better choice would be to play on normal or higher for multipliers. If things ever get to hairy for you, just take a few of those level advances and you'll instantly get better grade from battle.

medli

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else find that the performance for this game on the Switch is way better in handheld mode? I don't know if it's just because of the fact it only has to render in 720p rather than 1080p but it feels way smoother. Probably going to play the whole game like this.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to ever change the difficulty to easy. A much better choice would be to play on normal or higher for multipliers. If things ever get to hairy for you, just take a few of those level advances and you'll instantly get better grade from battle.

But what if I did? My question remains.