• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
After the impressions earlier, I think I'll actually still go with double dipping between Switch and PS4, since the most recent Switch impressions don't sound as bad as the initial ones. And I mean, it's portable fuckin' Vesperia with the PS3 content in English. I was going to cave eventually anyway. Shot over the the JP eShop and got the free DLC so that it'll be ready to go when I pick up a copy tomorrow morning, since most DLC is region agnostic on Switch, as far as I recall.

Still kinda wild that this is finally happening. For me at least, this was the last big holdout of 6th/7th gen RPGs with super special awesome extended editions with truckloads of new content that were Japan exclusive for the longest.

Mar 21, 2018
I know metacritic isn't everything but this game is touted as a remaster of one of the most acclaimed Tales games and yet the original has around an 80 on metacritic. So can someone convince the naysayers like myself to play this game?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know metacritic isn't everything but the original game is touted as one of the most praised Tales games and yet it has around an 80 on metacritic. So can someone convince the naysayers like myself to play this game?

It's like the most complete game Tales game there is.

Tons of skits
Tons of [free] costumes.
Tons of sidequests.
Tons of skills.
Tons of secrets.
Tons of story, places, characters.
And there's a [gorgeous] world map, none of this boxed-in canyon BS from Tales of Xillia or boring-locations-filled-with-nothing Tales of Zest/Berseria.

None of it is PEAK best EVER in an RPG but it delivers probably the most solid 8/10 ever. The characters are fantastic (top tier VA work from both JP and NA audio), the music bops, the art is pretty, and the graphics really worked the cell shading effectively.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ Zagi in the castle juggled me around way more than I remembered, lol.

The VA switches are...oof. I honestly wish there was an option to just have the scenes not have voice acting at all like before over that.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
The costume unlock DLC is nice, I guess, but kind of takes the fun out of the side content. Really weird decision.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Was this one of those entries that drastically changed exp/gald/grade gained or item drop frequencies between difficulty levels?

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I think the dlc costumes were just dlc ones from the ps3 version. There should still be a lot of unlockable costumes in the game itself. One of the things I loved about Vesperia and games like Persona 4 was how many unlockable costumes there were. Most new games hide costumes behind dlc :(

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Amazon copy is coming tomorrow, ps4 verison ofc. Took the day off for it, I can't wait :)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Here's why ReShade is important.

Not my pics:
Reshade off
7A422FC9347F6448509D6E95A7A7E212348FB9BB

Reshade on
AEBCDF4C2E9F958AFDCC0F9F06CA9958E24EAFCA
Clears the foggy image. Maybe tune down the saturation a bit and it'll be perfect.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just getting home from work thinking it's going to be a fun night cap but the Switch ver. hasn't unlocked yet.
Shaking my smdh damn head.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's like the most complete game Tales game there is.

Tons of skits
Tons of [free] costumes.
Tons of sidequests.
Tons of skills.
Tons of secrets.
Tons of story, places, characters.
And there's a [gorgeous] world map, none of this boxed-in canyon BS from Tales of Xillia or boring-locations-filled-with-nothing Tales of Zest/Berseria.

None of it is PEAK best EVER in an RPG but it delivers probably the most solid 8/10 ever. The characters are fantastic (top tier VA work from both JP and NA audio), the music bops, the art is pretty, and the graphics really worked the cell shading effectively.

It's also probably the last Tales of game where they had a proper budget (thanks to Microsoft?). Have never played the game but now I cannot decide which system to get it on lol. Or whether to wait since I'm poor and I still want to get RE2 and KH3 this month.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Here's why ReShade is important.

Not my pics:

Clears the foggy image. Maybe tune down the saturation a bit and it'll be perfect.
Yup, currently running reshade as well. I'll post some 4k screens after finishing the sewers.

This is a dream come true, I used to play the hell out of the Xbox 360 version. Going from 720p/30fps to 4k/60fps is fucking awesome.

Anyways, here are some 4k screens (the game's internal resolution seems to be lower though but the skits and menus are super crisp):

is1enxbk09wmttyj.jpg

8bsf0ck2bv48cfew.jpg

gf3m6rgd5wlkmnso.jpg

0lze790triym7mir.jpg

Last edited:

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dlc costumes were just dlc ones from the ps3 version. There should still be a lot of unlockable costumes in the game itself. One of the things I loved about Vesperia and games like Persona 4 was how many unlockable costumes there were. Most new games hide costumes behind dlc :(
The DLC costumes are in your inventory when you start the game. The pack on PSN is just a cheat, basically. It unlocks the ones that you get from sidequests

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good walkthrough for the missable stuff?

This is for the PS3 release, but everything in it applies to Definitive Edition.

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html
https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

It might actually be worth having a link to this in the OP since it's definitely been asked about a lot in the thread, and it's pretty much the only resource for missables in this version of Vesperia for the moment.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really buy full releases digitally so I'm probably misinformed, but isn't it generally rare for non Nintendo published releases to unlock at midnight? I know Namco Bandai stuff at the least usually unlocks in the afternoon on the eShop.

You are correct, most (all?) non-Nintendo games do not release at midnight.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the PS4 version.

I had a hard time deciding whether I should go for Switch or the PS4 version but since I was deadset on the PS4 version before (plus I've played my Tales games on PlayStation consoles), I went with the PS4 version instead. Good thing too since I read that the Switch version has issues.

It's also probably the last Tales of game where they had a proper budget (thanks to Microsoft?). Have never played the game but now I cannot decide which system to get it on lol. Or whether to wait since I'm poor and I still want to get RE2 and KH3 this month.

Got the same dilemma. What I'm doing is I'll purchase all 3 games on the PS4 and leave my Feb blank for the KH3/ToV/RE2 trifecta. I guess I could reach halfway or near completion for this game once KH3 arrives. I'll start RE2 once I've finished both games.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, currently running reshade as well. I'll post some 4k screens after finishing the sewers.

This is a dream come true, I used to play the hell out of the Xbox 360 version. Going from 720p/30fps to 4k/60fps is fucking awesome.

Anyways, here are some 4k screens (the game's internal resolution seems to be lower though but the skits and menus are super crisp):

is1enxbk09wmttyj.jpg

8bsf0ck2bv48cfew.jpg

gf3m6rgd5wlkmnso.jpg

0lze790triym7mir.jpg

Looks really nice, what are your ReShade settings? I just started playing with ReShade for the first time. I currently have "Levels", "Colorfulness", and "Fake HDR" turned on from the default ReShade plugins, and I think it looks pretty nice, but I am sure people who have played with it more know which settings usually work best in tandem.

Also anyone else noticing that it keeps resetting their resolution everytime they close and open the game?

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
Has anyone else noticed there appears to be a ... ghosting or double image around characters at high resolutions? I notice it especially bad on faces during cutscene but you can see it anywhere during regular gameplay when looking up close at a character. Anyway to fix this so far?
if you look carefully around the faces and yuri's sword you'll see it.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really nice, what are your ReShade settings? I just started playing with ReShade for the first time. I currently have "Levels", "Colorfulness", and "Fake HDR" turned on from the default ReShade plugins, and I think it looks pretty nice, but I am sure people who have played with it more know which settings usually work best in tandem.

Also anyone else noticing that it keeps resetting their resolution everytime they close and open the game?
I'm using Alo81's settings:
Sure thing, this is what I threw together. It was made for an IPS screen so its got increased contrast, but also general clarity/sharpness.

https://sta.sh/01sav6mbx2qf

Downloads reshade, use the tool on Vesperia and select DX10+. Download all the shaders when they prompt you. In game, Press home key and load that INI file I linked.
Has anyone else noticed there appears to be a ... ghosting or double image around characters at high resolutions? I notice it especially bad on faces during cutscene but you can see it anywhere during regular gameplay when looking up close at a character. Anyway to fix this so far? if you look carefully around the faces and yuri's sword you'll see it.
I also noticed the ghosting. Hopefully we'll get a patch to address the ghosting and the slightly lower than native resolutions.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I got the PS4 version.

I had a hard time deciding whether I should go for Switch or the PS4 version but since I was deadset on the PS4 version before (plus I've played my Tales games on PlayStation consoles), I went with the PS4 version instead. Good thing too since I read that the Switch version has issues.

Got the same dilemma. What I'm doing is I'll purchase all 3 games on the PS4 and leave my Feb blank for the KH3/ToV/RE2 trifecta. I guess I could reach halfway or near completion for this game once KH3 arrives. I'll start RE2 once I've finished both games.

Feb seems empty for me at the moment. Maybe I should do that. I plan to complete more KH games before I play KH3 anyway.
Maybe I'll get the game next week after I read more impressions.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I know metacritic isn't everything but this game is touted as a remaster of one of the most acclaimed Tales games and yet the original has around an 80 on metacritic. So can someone convince the naysayers like myself to play this game?
For what it's worth, outside of Tales of Symphonia on GameCube (whose scores were depressed when the collection was released for PS3), this is still the best reviewed Tales game of all-time outside of that even WITH a Metacritic / Opencritic score in the 80-83 range. So I wouldn't say it's reviewing poorly at all. And, if you're playing on Switch, it's hovering in the same ballpark as the likes of Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Ys VIII if you're going to quibble about critical reception.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
This is for the PS3 release, but everything in it applies to Definitive Edition.

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html
https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

It might actually be worth having a link to this in the OP since it's definitely been asked about a lot in the thread, and it's pretty much the only resource for missables in this version of Vesperia for the moment.

Thank you for these. Much appreciate

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this game compared to say Tales Of Abyss in terms of story and combat?

Willing to get it, but I don't want a generic bore RPG. I did enjoy Abyss a fair bit.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Willing to get it, but I don't want a generic bore RPG. I did enjoy Abyss a fair bit.
The story's okay but the cast and their interactions do a lot of the heavy lifting. Combat's similar to Abyss but better.

If you liked Abyss, there's a pretty good chance you'll like this game a lot, too.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Vesperia's combat is an evolution of what was in Abyss. Abyss is really divisive, but I would say it has the better story as someone who likes both games.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The DLC costumes are in your inventory when you start the game. The pack on PSN is just a cheat, basically. It unlocks the ones that you get from sidequests

It does? I actually saw that this was the case from the video, but in my game, only regular dlc ones unlocked.

UPD: actually nevermind, just checked and Yuri's true Knight is suddenly unlocked. I guess some just don't appear until you pass certain arbitrary story triggers.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
So I ordered this from the Bandai Namco store for the EU and I got an email stating it was dispatched but the tracking code they supplied me literally states the tracking system is not available yet I've tried it for 3 days now and the same message.

Anyone else here from ERA ordered from the EU store who has the same issue or has received their order?

I've been waiting for 10 years for this version so I'm more than patient it's just not knowing where my copy is currently which is annoying me. :(

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the resolution on the X version yet? After my switch CE got cancelled the day before launch I'm now debating which version to get if any.

Made some shots:

7bab3849-d202-4c00-978a-e3fb5dd4e0b0.PNG

ebb15690-c49f-4270-b958-55dcec127cae.PNG

91aa033a-85d0-4140-a21c-1c566601d075.PNG

6aebfb30-d25a-430a-bd49-30f97161ef58.PNG

939d00e8-7857-487b-bfcb-e062d98bf4db.PNG

I will leave it to the experts to analyze.

Last edited:

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017

The game originally released at a time when JRPG's were very unfashionable. For anyone who enjoys them however, and doesn't mind the odd trope or cliche, this game is amazing.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
So I ordered this from the Bandai Namco store for the EU and I got an email stating it was dispatched but the tracking code they supplied me literally states the tracking system is not available yet I've tried it for 3 days now and the same message.

Anyone else here from ERA ordered from the EU store who has the same issue or has received their order?

I've been waiting for 10 years for this version so I'm more than patient it's just not knowing where my copy is currently which is annoying me. :(
Yep, UK here and it was actually delivered about 5 minutes ago.

I received an email from Bamco on Tuesday saying it had been shipped. The La Poste site worked fine on Wednesday when I checked but it's been unavailable since yesterday. I did get an email and text from DPD with delivery details yesterday, so I knew it had at least made it into the country.

I have to say, though, Bamco's packaging left a bit to be desired. The premium edition box itself is quite small and was placed in a larger box with a fair amount of room to slide about in - no bubble wrap or other packing material used, so mine's got a slightly dented corner.