• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Good but nothing standouts so far. I'll listen again in the AM.

Down Bad
But Daddy I Love Him

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Some of these lyrics man.............
I can't believe the same woman that gave us Back to December, invisible string and All Too Well thought this was a winner.
GLZpAjaWwAAGG4w

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
tumblr_mwd59xHbEB1sxm6jjo1_500.gif

Also…
After Midnights and this, I really feel like she could use a year or two off from working on new music to just recoup, take stock, find some new collaborators and live a little more between her insane touring schedule.

Taylor's been an institution for over a decade now but her music still had a distinct humility, earnestness and charm pre-Midnights. These two records honestly feel like they're written by a writer whose pen is starting to slip and a producer who's fresh out of new tricks. I mean, shit, I'm a massive Bleachers fan and love his new record so I'm not a Jack detractor but his work with Taylor is so dull, anemic and repetitive.

I don't necessarily need folk Taylor back any time soon but I definitely need a creatively refreshed Taylor on the next record because she's really losing me between the unenthusiastic half-cocked re-recordings and two insanely weak new albums in a row. She just needs to let her brain rest for a bit and come back swinging like she did with folklore after Lover.

I mean part of Folklore is her not taking a break. Instead of thinking rollout and image she just recorded a bunch of songs and threw them out. Part of it was a new collaborator for sure, but I don't think Taylor is necessarily at her best when she has time to overthink.

(This is me saying that while loving this album which I know you don't so idk lol)

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I can't believe the same woman that gave us Back to December, invisible string and All Too Well thought this was a winner.
GLZpAjaWwAAGG4w

Yeahhh, it was getting eviscerated online. But remember the "sexy baby" line and a lot of the Midnights lyrics were getting destroyed when it leaked. Still don't like it in the context of the record but there's still great moments on here.

My one complaint though is that it seems like none of the instrumentation gets a chance to breathe. I love her voice and this post mortem of her relationships but damn.

I can definitely see this record growing on me. My partner and I are gonna see her in Amsterdam and I'm excited to see what she puts into her setlist.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
There's also a new countdown to 2 AM on her Instagram that I haven't seen mentioned in here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean part of Folklore is her not taking a break. Instead of thinking rollout and image she just recorded a bunch of songs and threw them out. Part of it was a new collaborator for sure, but I don't think Taylor is necessarily at her best when she has time to overthink.

(This is me saying that while loving this album which I know you don't so idk lol)
You're right, actually, my bad! The pandemic definitely fried my brain and my sense of time a bit so I kind of forgot that it was an early pandemic release off the heels of Lover hitting in 2019, it just felt like such a long stretch of time.

Even still, I still stand by my main point there in that I think a whole new stylistic direction, some time off before jumping right into making the next record to really get inspired and some new collaborators would really hit the spot for me.

And seriously, I'm really glad you're enjoying the album! Wish I was there with ya!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this era of Swift ain't for me.

Like Midnights, there are tracks here I like, but the sound as a whole is quite boring and the lyrics are a step down. Just isn't my jam. Glad others seem to be enjoying it, it's just so boring sonically.

Will always be curious of what she does next!

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I said it earlier in my spoiler comments but everyone do yourself and listen to Black Dog, one of the bonus tracks. It's genuinely shooting to the top of my all time favorite songs of her's. Why she didn't put it on the actual album is beyond me.

Last edited:

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I think "Fortnight" works as a first single as it sets up the tone of the album quite well, but it's certainly no "Anti-Hero."

Yeah there's nothing on here that's gonna reach "Anti-Hero"/"Bejeweled" but this is a far more personal album. If you were to take the 3am songs WCS/Bigger than the whole sky/etc, it kinda bridges the two albums together.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Someone in the But Daddy I Love Him reddit thread posted "Tip: pretending this song is @ Gaylors about Travis makes it so much more enjoyable" and I'm crying lmao.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I do not like I can do it with a broken heart it's a weird mash ups that doesn't work for me at all

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
"The Alchemy" is so fucking corny hahahaha in a good way. Not even subtle with the football references. Also, Gaylors are gonna be found dead in a ditch after listening to it.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
This is the best her voice has ever sounded

Also a couple of country hooks in this album - or I guess country esque (daddy I love him sounds like it's from Speak Now a tiny bit)

She is dipping back into that well haha.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and far from my favorite album of hers. Maybe it'll grow with time but I do agree it's a lot more like evermore which wasn't for me either.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
The smallest man who ever lived gives me hard all to well vibes starts off slow and goes hard at the end I love it

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
1hr 6m and I'm only heading into track 8 lol. This is really hitting for me.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really liking this so far. Definitely her most inspired album since Folklore imo. Feels like the culmination of a bunch of sounds she's been playing with since Lover, but still pretty distinct on its own.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Swifties I'm friends with think it's gonna be another album LOL. I'm sure it's just a 2am edition with all the bonus tracks collected.

EDIT: "I Can do it with a broken heart" should've been the damn single!!!
Conspiracy - They're saving Broken Heart as a single in case her and Kelce break up within the next few months.

A similar case in reverse could be made for The Alchemy.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Speak Now
2. 1989
3. folklore
4. reputation
5. Lover
6. The Tortured Poets Department
7. Fearless
8. Midnights
9. evermore
10. Red
11. Taylor Swift

Favorite song:
I Can Do It With A Broken Heart

Honorable mention:
The Tortured Poets Department

Least favorite:
Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?

Dishonorable mention:
Florida

Overall pretty good.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"So I did my best, to lay to rest, all the bodies that have ever been on my body" oh Florence is getting me real emotional rn

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to sit with this album for a while. As it stands right now, it's in the bottom three. Lyrically it's good but the synth pop really dulls this out. It definitely isn't an album I'd play all the way through again.

If this album was part of the Era's tour, I'd use it as a restroom and snack break.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, just finished my first "official release" listen and I still feel the exact same. 3/10. But Daddy I Love Him and Guilty As Sin? are it for me and the rest is a big ol' bust.

I'm going to go listen to Style and sulk. Enjoy the record, y'all!

D23

Oct 25, 2017
the bonus track black dog is so good. Its a crime its not on the main album

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Overall first impression like it more than midnights but I will admit how many will be good single jams will be interesting. Works as a good package.