Areez

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this thread, love the TV for the price.

For anyone looking for configuration settings, here's what I use and is based closely on Rtings suggestions:

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.
Thank you for posting. I just picked up this TV last weekend. Has been great so far. Cant beat the price

spooky tapes

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, I'll have to try some other sources.

Also, I was checking out other games and noticed this blotchy spot on the PS4 game Bound. It stays in the same spot as I pan the camera and there are several across the screen. I'm hoping it's just a filter the games uses, because I haven't noticed it on anything else.

tpR9W7N.jpg

Can someone please check for me? It's currently a free game on PS+ for the month.

this is def. a filter in bound. i noticed the same thing when i was playing and started freaking out because it's still a very new tv for me, too.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
YUV 422 is what the console outputs if you select RGB.

So there's no reason to not hard lock the setting to RGB.

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious why folks set the "Picture Size" to Auto instead of Direct? When I set it to Auto it produces overscan on every source (Xbox One X, PC, etc) but when set to Direct I don't get overscan. I would think a native picture resolution would come into play here as well thus why I would assume "Direct" is the right choice especially for 4K content.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations on good/affordable calibration equipment? Trying to dial in color and white balance on this TV and want to do it properly (and be able to do it for other TV's in the future).

Asked in the general TV thread and didn't get a reply lol
I honestly wouldn't bother spending the cash. The posted calibration specs from the listed sites earlier in the thread work great for most users, myself included. Don't waste the time or money.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I was already on 8.0. since whenever that released? Maybe a week ago? I think the initial 8.0 was Build 4127. Not sure if it was a coincidence but I did a factory reset before I got it. Prior to that I was still on 7.7.0

Is the local dimming or sharpness bugs fixed in your current build?

Odd how my TV won't just download the update automatically.

Thank you for posting. I just picked up this TV last weekend. Has been great so far. Cant beat the price

For sure. Games look great on it and that's all I really care about.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my 605 in today for the bedroom. Between Best Buy Reward Zone points and trading in my old PS4 and Xbox One, I ended up paying a total of $8 for it. Can't beat that. Have to wait until tonight to hook it all up and calibrate it, though.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious why folks set the "Picture Size" to Auto instead of Direct? When I set it to Auto it produces overscan on every source (Xbox One X, PC, etc) but when set to Direct I don't get overscan. I would think a native picture resolution would come into play here as well thus why I would assume "Direct" is the right choice especially for 4K content.
Yea, everyone should 100% be using Direct. Not sure why so many sites and posts just have it at auto.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, I noticed some overscan as well but didn't think to mess around with picture size settings because yeah, literally every guide on this tv says to go with Auto.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure if I have mine set to auto or direct but I don't have overscan issues. Any system or game setting that has you adjust the screen size, it fits perfectly to the edge for me.

Does anyone have the S405? How's the HDR compare to the 607?

Pretty poor. Peak brightness is bad and it doesn't supported WCG, so I wouldn't even call it an HDR TV.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I tested it out, games don't give me overscan using auto it's 1:1. It did zoom in very slightly for some letterboxed content though, I can't remember if it was cable TV or app streams though.

Edit: for the person asking about the S405 HDR, yeah I wouldn't even really consider it to support HDR. It lacks wcg and local dimming. In fact I don't even think the built in apps support HDR. My sister picked up this tv (s405) on BF and I'm pretty sure it's "faux HDR" is only supported in HDMI sources, so the fact that it's own native apps don't support it is kinda funny.

The Farter

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if I have mine set to auto or direct but I don't have overscan issues. Any system or game setting that has you adjust the screen size, it fits perfectly to the edge for me.

Pretty poor. Peak brightness is bad and it doesn't supported WCG, so I wouldn't even call it an HDR TV.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. It got a pretty good review from rtings.

Oct 28, 2017
Just switched mine out for a Sony x900e today. I got it on sale at Best Buy. I'll share my opinions and see if it was worth the extra $400.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in your thoughts.

Some quick thoughts, input lag is good. Even tho it's double of the TCL (30 vs 15 Ms), I couldn't really notice a difference.

Picture is good. Local dimming is good and there are lots of options for configuring it to how you please. Motion quality MAY be a little better. Just from eyeballing Horizon. Or it could be me just getting used to 30fps after gaming on an144hz monitor for the last year. :P

Neutral: if you are disappointed by the HDR picture quality on Netflix, unfortunately it's still not.that great. I watched an episode of Dark that looked pretty good, but the Punisher was still pretty muddy. I guess there's only much you can do if the source isn't great.

Bad: Android TV. As a loyal Android fan (since the Nexus 6p and most recently, Moto Z Play) I thought I would be okay with it. I am not. It's slow, it's hard to tell if it's not registering your remote inputs from the lag or if its because of the IR. There's a nice selection of apps, but what use is it, if it's no fun to use. Even changing inputs or picture seconds has lag. Not good.

Also, it's a minor quibble, when I was trying to remove the screen to mount it to my vesa stand, one of.the screws would not budge. It ended up being stripped and took me like an hour to remove. Probably just my set, but quite an annoyance.

All in all, a good set, but is it worth the 400 premium over the TCL? In my opinion, no. It gets a little brighter, has slightly larger viewing angles, and motion MAY be just a pinch better, but Android TV sucks on this thing. I'm.considering switching back, but there aren't any Best Buy's with the p605 in stock, and I may drive my.gf crazy if she hears that I'm.exchanging AGAIN.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hmmm, I thought c803 was the same as c807 minus the remote, which was the same as p607 minus FALD. Saw martian and it looked superb, no IQ issues I could notice. So far only problem IQ wise is some cloudiness if I put an entire black screen on screen, but that's about it.

The big problem is I'm not seeing a game or pc mode on the menu accessible from the regular control. Unless it's hidden on the android app, this model may be missing such a mode.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
So lately my tv has been acting weird. When I'm using the YouTube app and I press a button the tv sometimes registers is as a button being pressed multiple times. This can mean that a video pauses and then imediatly un pauses if I press the pause button or continues to scroll left or right after I have stopped pressing an arrow key. Any help is appreciated.

I specifically mention the YouTube app because it's the only one I use.

Edit: it also does this in the menu as well.

Last edited:

silver5liter

Nov 10, 2017
Bought the p607 at Nebraska furniture tonight. Loving it so far. Only have slight dark corners and a few light verticals. Not noticeable except on flat colors. One of the spots does kind of bug the wife but its not major and I'm afraid of getting a worse panel.
20171201_222350.jpg

Last edited:

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN

silver5liter

Nov 10, 2017
happy wife happy life lol
I think she was more or less annoyed for me since I was looking it over. For now I'm keeping it lol. As for 4k content I don't really get Dolby vision on Netflix. It seems like images are sharp but grainy. I've only attempted luke cage and stranger things.

Does going into the secret menu and turning Dolby vision off seem to fix any issues? Im not seeing black crush like others have mentioned.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think she was more or less annoyed for me since I was looking it over. For now I'm keeping it lol. As for 4k content I don't really get Dolby vision on Netflix. It seems like images are sharp but grainy. I've only attempted luke cage and stranger things.

Does going into the secret menu and turning Dolby vision off seem to fix any issues? Im not seeing black crush like others have mentioned.

The grain on a lot of shows is intentional. It's not the hdr. The Marvel shows are annoyingly grainy imo and 4k exacerbates that.

Try watching something like The Blacklist. The 4k on that looks super sharp. for a stream anyways.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to reconsider picking this up next month. The idea that getting a good panel being a lottery seems like a pain, especially if I have to return it multiple times.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Some quick thoughts, input lag is good. Even tho it's double of the TCL (30 vs 15 Ms), I couldn't really notice a difference.

Picture is good. Local dimming is good and there are lots of options for configuring it to how you please. Motion quality MAY be a little better. Just from eyeballing Horizon. Or it could be me just getting used to 30fps after gaming on an144hz monitor for the last year. :P

Neutral: if you are disappointed by the HDR picture quality on Netflix, unfortunately it's still not.that great. I watched an episode of Dark that looked pretty good, but the Punisher was still pretty muddy. I guess there's only much you can do if the source isn't great.

Bad: Android TV. As a loyal Android fan (since the Nexus 6p and most recently, Moto Z Play) I thought I would be okay with it. I am not. It's slow, it's hard to tell if it's not registering your remote inputs from the lag or if its because of the IR. There's a nice selection of apps, but what use is it, if it's no fun to use. Even changing inputs or picture seconds has lag. Not good.

Also, it's a minor quibble, when I was trying to remove the screen to mount it to my vesa stand, one of.the screws would not budge. It ended up being stripped and took me like an hour to remove. Probably just my set, but quite an annoyance.

All in all, a good set, but is it worth the 400 premium over the TCL? In my opinion, no. It gets a little brighter, has slightly larger viewing angles, and motion MAY be just a pinch better, but Android TV sucks on this thing. I'm.considering switching back, but there aren't any Best Buy's with the p605 in stock, and I may drive my.gf crazy if she hears that I'm.exchanging AGAIN.

The x900e is an amazing set for the price. Easily one of the best values of 2017. The TCL is hard to beat at such a low price, but Im ok spending an additional $400 for an established brand with a great performing panel. No regrets with my 900, specially after having professionally calibrated by a buddy of a buddy. And yes, the motion management on the 900 is superb for gaming.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That poster gave you potentially bad advice. Most TVs do not do optical out from the TV to the receiver and pass along 5.1 audio from an HDMI source. What you need is a TV and receiver that both support HDMI ARC and have it pass the 5.1 through that connection. Looking up your receiver, both that and your TV look to support it.
Yeah, I see the ARC ports on both my TV and receiver... but somehow they aren't working. I don't know why. I've looked up a few guides and it seems simple enough. But I can't figure it out :(

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if there's something up with my local dimming feature (I'm guessing they call it local contrast). Everything I've read about this tv mentions local dimming. It's constantly listed as one of the reasons why the tv is a steal but whenever I mess around with local dimming in the settings, it just seems like it makes my screen, including some white areas generally darker. It doesn't seem as accurate as the "Full-array LED backlighting with 72 local dimming zones produces deep blacks and excellent picture quality " description makes it sound. Do I need to fuck around with my backlight settings to really make it apparent? Or is it one of those features that's always working and I've been noticing it all along?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if there's something up with my local dimming feature (I'm guessing they call it local contrast). Everything I've read about this tv mentions local dimming. It's constantly listed as one of the reasons why the tv is a steal but whenever I mess around with local dimming in the settings, it just seems like it makes my screen, including some white areas generally darker. It doesn't seem as accurate as the "Full-array LED backlighting with 72 local dimming zones produces deep blacks and excellent picture quality " description makes it sound. Do I need to fuck around with my backlight settings to really make it apparent? Or is it one of those features that's always working and I've been noticing it all along?

It makes a huge difference and matches that description well.

Local dimming makes the most difference in dark scenes or scenes with large dark areas mixed with some bright areas. In well lit or bright scenes it's not going to do much (the feature is turning off led zones so in bright scenes there's not much to turn off).

Load up a dark scene and turn it off/on and and you'll notice a huge difference. No one should be leaving it off on this set, it degrades the picture a lot and you lose a buttload of black levels since the backlight is on 24/7 and can't go dark or black when needed.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. Pretty sure my first post since joining. Been busy for a while...

Anyway, is there an equivalent 65" version of this tv with similar specs and whatnot?

Oct 28, 2017
The x900e is an amazing set for the price. Easily one of the best values of 2017. The TCL is hard to beat at such a low price, but Im ok spending an additional $400 for an established brand with a great performing panel. No regrets with my 900, specially after having professionally calibrated by a buddy of a buddy. And yes, the motion management on the 900 is superb for gaming.

Did you do any tweaking to make Android TV better? I enabled developer mode and sped up the animations. I'm thinking of getting a streaming stick to avoid having to use Android TV.

That's the one thing I miss most about the TCL. Having different settings for each app, and being able to switch quickly. I like having settings for my consoles, and then different settings set up for Netflix and that.

Also, the other thing that concerns me: do you think the tv will fail quicker since it uses Android vs a more basic tv? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm new to the whole smart tv thing.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Tcl cancelled the 65 inch. Price and performance wise the next closest thing would probably be the Vizio m series.

Looks like TCL has 2 65" units. The 65C807 and the 65S405. I don't know if either of those compare quality wise to the OP's tv that everyone likes.

Both showing available through Amazon.

Airhead

Oct 25, 2017
The 405 is not comparable HDR wise. It's a good set for the size and price but the 605 is liked for the panel.

I have both the 405 and the 605.