• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captain EZ8

Oct 30, 2017
I got a Xbox one s for Christmas but i am having some trouble figuring out the setting I should use on the Xbox and this tv. What settings should i be using?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one based on feedback. Not being able to disable auto-motion enhancement is a huge deal breaker.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly guys, I am not sure what to do. I have read enough reviews, seen the ups and downs here, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. TV seems like it is a bit of a screen lottery, which is fine @ $600 but then again, why not just wait a little longer, save up some more and just take the next step to a better tv. I hate making bigger electronics purchases like this. Almost anything else I am okay. But my 1080 Samsung is getting close to 6yo, and I don't want to break the bank. If this could serve as a good 5 year bridge tv until tech gets much cheaper I guess I would be okay. Just not sure it is.

If u give up FALD costco has a c803 for $450.

If u look at whats on the horizon I say its good to wait, and buy cheap for now.

We have

-neural net upscaling(could easily make 4k content into 8k)

-glassless 3d

-freesync hdmi spec

- True Qled

-Large price drops on Laser projectors(cheap 100 inch plus)

Neural net upscaling is like magic. Will take a few iterations to iron out bugs, but it is game changing once perfected on video.

I want the hdmi spec with adaptive framerate, either true qled or laser projector, and neural net upscaling for my future upgrade after c803.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is it worth buying a 4k TV now, or waiting until towards the end of next year? I can't help but think hdmi 2.1 and TVs with variable refresh rates are going to be good. Does that mean those TVs basically have freesync by default?

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
So... I woke up this morning to find that the TV now exhibits extreme flickering. Was there a software update in the last day or so? I figure if it was a firmware mishap it'll be fixed, but if not, I'm going to have to return it. It's far too extreme to ignore.

Ragarra

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up one today at Best Buy and had no problems, all the stores in my area had them in stock. Will have it delivered tomorrow can't wait.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Finally bit the bullet and bought the 605 from Best Buy.

Attempting to use rtings.com's calibration settings and not feeling it. They're recommending darker tones and movie preset but in my area everything looks super yellow once I follow their advice. I'm sticking to Normal for most things. Running Horizon right now to test out different HDR settings.

Any recommended settings any of y'all can provide for optimal results will be appreciated.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You don't need to buy a new TV for software crap like this.

Well Not sure you can run 8k video upscaling with such tech on a non beefy pc. Besides that wouldn't cover 4k bluray players, consoles, or dvds. A hardware neural net upscaler would be ace once they iron out the bugs. Some of the video improvements done by neural nets can very likely be virtually artifact free once perfected.

It may even be the case that if the 8k capture is blurry or imperfect, the 8k neural reconstruction has more detail and is more pleasing visually.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
This is the 2500k of tvs, the 8800 GT of tvs. I ended up taking back the x900e and kept this. I play d2 on it and browse 4k stuff and it continues to amaze me.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Only dif is the remote? Then I'll go best buy. I'll go look at it this weekend.

I'm moving like mid Jan so I kinda didn't want to get it until then because who wants to move a giant box BUT I don't want to go get it in Mid Jan and people be like sorry we only have Walmart TVs now until the new ones come out in April.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

I'm moving like mid Jan so I kinda didn't want to get it until then because who wants to move a giant box BUT I don't want to go get it in Mid Jan and people be like sorry we only have Walmart TVs now until the new ones come out in April.

Yep. I am in the exact same boat as you. Just moved to a new house and wanted a new TV. Had been scouting this thread for the last few weeks and yesterday when my moving was finished, went to the nearest BB and bought the TV. Tested HDR with Horizon and SDR with other content. HDR requires some calibration because I personally don't like the extra yellow tint generated with rtings.com's recommended settings (They went in all out on Warm settings)

The BB version is P605 and the other websites have P607. Everything is exactly the same between, literally the only difference is that the BB version lacks the headphone jack in the remote. As mentioned above, you can download the Roku app on any smart phone and use the audio through your phone on that to mute out the TV.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've had this for about two weeks and I'm just not feeling it. HDR isn't blowing me away (in fact I kind of don't really notice it) and I don't know if it's the TV or Rtings' calibration, but HDR content is SO much darker than non-HDR.

My room have light mood lighting, but in non-HDR, it looks solid. HDR is noticeably darker to the point that detail is lost and the picture just looks dim. I've abandoned HDR at this point and watch everything with it off.

I'm really frustrated with it and might just go back to my old 1080p screen. Any advice?

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Man, I've had this for about two weeks and I'm just not feeling it. HDR isn't blowing me away (in fact I kind of don't really notice it) and I don't know if it's the TV or Rtings' calibration, but HDR content is SO much darker than non-HDR.

My room have light mood lighting, but in non-HDR, it looks solid. HDR is noticeably darker to the point that detail is lost and the picture just looks dim. I've abandoned HDR at this point and watch everything with it off.

I'm really frustrated with it and might just go back to my old 1080p screen. Any advice?
Did you remember to set the HDR brightness to "Brightest" and turn the backlight all the way up?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
What HDR content are you watching? If you have an X play some Gears 4 or Destiny 2 with the above mentioned Brightest / HDR Dark setting. If that doesn't impress noting will. ;)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My parents have the P605, the remote is fine. I mean you're probably not gonna be using the actual TV remote much anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about availability. Prior year sets usually stick around for at *least* a few months after their replacement models come out, and next year's P series hasn't even been revealed yet.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you remember to set the HDR brightness to "Brightest" and turn the backlight all the way up?

Yup.

What HDR content are you watching? If you have an X play some Gears 4 or Destiny 2 with the above mentioned Brightest / HDR Dark setting. If that doesn't impress noting will. ;)

So far, I've played Horizon on my PS4 Pro (no Xbone, sorry) and streamed some HDR content here and there. For example, The Big Sick in HDR on the Amazon Roku app looks -terrible-, but it's perfectly watchable with non-HDR. It almost looks like HDR content has a dimming filter of sorts. Dark areas are crushed.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Have you tried 4k UHD blurays? I recommend titles like the martian which has rich detail rock and ground textures as well as very detailed human skin in close ups.

The inbuilt apps vids disappointed, as did Antenna reception HD content. 4k Blurays like martian are quite another beast entirely. Also ratchet and clank ps4 pro looks ace, as does horizon

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017

Brother if you are not noticing HDR then something has to be wrong. It is the biggest leap I have ever seen. The color pop alone is mind blowing.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Brother if you are not noticing HDR then something has to be wrong. It is the biggest leap I have ever seen. The color pop alone is mind blowing.

HDR doesnt really do anything noticeable for me either. Horizon definitely looked "different" but not a million times better like everyone made it out to be.

Gears of War 4 lets you compare SDR and HDR right on screen. HDR looks better, but if you tested me I definitely wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Witcher. Mirrors Edge. Looked exactly the same as I remember them.

Forza Horizon 3 looked good but I wasn't able to remember what SDR looked like. Feel like this might have been a case of colors that popped in the first place.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HDR doesnt really do anything noticeable for me either. Horizon definitely looked "different" but not a million times better like everyone made it out to be.

Gears of War 4 lets you compare SDR and HDR right on screen. HDR looks better, but if you tested me I definitely wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Witcher. Mirrors Edge. Looked exactly the same as I remember them.

Forza Horizon 3 looked good but I wasn't able to remember what SDR looked like. Feel like this might have been a case of colors that popped in the first place.

More or less how I feel. I'd like to try Gears at some point so I can flip them back and forth, but yeah. Your Horizon analysis is pretty spot on. I -thi k- it looks a little better, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

So far, I've played Horizon on my PS4 Pro (no Xbone, sorry) and streamed some HDR content here and there. For example, The Big Sick in HDR on the Amazon Roku app looks -terrible-, but it's perfectly watchable with non-HDR. It almost looks like HDR content has a dimming filter of sorts. Dark areas are crushed.

Is gamma set to 2.2? If you think youre still getting black crush bump it up to 2.0 gamma or even 1.8. I've been playing Horizon on my Pro and with HDR it really pushes things to extremes. Things get very dark at night and very bright during the day. I think HZD has some of the best HDR due to these extremes. What you won't see is a wide color gamut because HDZ doesn't support it. Gears 4 on the X and I believe Destiny 2 support HDR and wide color gamut. There are scenes where those games just explode off the screen. Amazon HDR is hit or miss so don't judge the display from that.
Lastly rent Pacific Rim from Vudu in Dolby Vision. If you don't notice how good it looks then return the TV and pick up an old tube TV. : )

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
So I was feeling a bit confused/indifferent about HDR too until recently. I've been playing AC:Origins, Battlefront 2 and No Man's Sky exclusively on my 607 for the last few weeks. I decided to take the Pro down to my theater room and play on our projector at 1080p and definitely saw a difference. It isn't mind blowing, but as cliche as it sounds, there's certain subtlety that's striking. In AC:Origins for example, the torches at night time glow in non-HDR on my projector, but on the TCL they illuminate very brightly and stand out more. In Battlefront 2, the light sabers glow more realistically for lack of a better term and their colors look a bit different. Where Darth Maul's saber looks standard red on my projector, there's a brilliance to it that looks like a pink/red hybrid on the TCL. A color I really can't describe. Puddles at night reflecting moonlight are strikingly bright as well on the TCL. In NMS there are colors I've never seen in the game before. I honestly didn't expect much out of HDR in NMS, but was really impressed on a couple of planets I found recently. One planet was bright red as it was an extreme hazardous hot planet. The skyline was another brilliant red color sort of like Maul's light saber, but it also casted everything else like my ship, plant life and animals various shades of red too. On my projector there was just sort of a red hue to everything, without the varying degrees of color.

It's the early days of HDR and your mileage may vary, maybe things will look a lot different in a couple of years. Also I've seen plenty of content that looks way too damn dark for my taste on the TV, mostly Dolby Vision titles FWIW.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is gamma set to 2.2? If you think youre still getting black crush bump it up to 2.0 gamma or even 1.8. I've been playing Horizon on my Pro and with HDR it really pushes things to extremes. Things get very dark at night and very bright during the day. I think HZD has some of the best HDR due to these extremes. What you won't see is a wide color gamut because HDZ doesn't support it. Gears 4 on the X and I believe Destiny 2 support HDR and wide color gamut. There are scenes where those games just explode off the screen. Amazon HDR is hit or miss so don't judge the display from that.
Lastly rent Pacific Rim from Vudu in Dolby Vision. If you don't notice how good it looks then return the TV and pick up an old tube TV. : )
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll see if I can wire up my PC and throw Destiny 2 on, from my understanding that has HDR support.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

What settings are you using?

For me I went:

Tv Brightness - Normal (Try brighter if you want a brighter pic)
Picture Mode - Dark HDR (this setting provides the best contrast and accurate colors)
Local Contrast - High
Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - 0

Also the gamma settings can make a bit of difference too if you haven't tried messing with them, you have to do it via the expert settings through the roku app on your phone, it can't be done via the tv remote (which is stupid imo).

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For me I went:

Picture Mode - Dark HDR (this setting provides the best contrast and accurate colors)
Local Contrast - High
Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - 0

Also the gamma settings can make a bit of difference too if you haven't tried messing with them, you have to do it via the expert settings through the roku app on your phone, it can't be done via the tv remote (which is stupid imo).
That's pretty much what I use.

I saw a post up above where someone mentioned the Roku apps were a disappointment in HDR - that's encouraging because that's mostly where I've watched most of the content. I'll go through my PC tomorrow - I bought a new HDMI cable for it since my old one didn't support 2.0.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Hopefully this is the trick.

Edit: recommendations for an affordable UHD player?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's pretty much what I use.

I saw a post up above where someone mentioned the Roku apps were a disappointment in HDR - that's encouraging because that's mostly where I've watched most of the content. I'll go through my PC tomorrow - I bought a new HDMI cable for it since my old one didn't support 2.0.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Hopefully this is the trick.

Edit: recommendations for an affordable UHD player?

The Samsung K8500 is a good bang for the buck one atm, but the drawback is that it has no Dolby Vision support (which almost any UHD player lacks atm).

If you want that then you have to go for an Oppo brands which are great players but REALLY expensive.

The LG UP970 was meant to support DV for a budget price (200'ish) but they've not released that firmware update and left many people upset who bought it for dv support and are saying (last I checked) that it's not coming til March 2018 at the earliest now.

Oct 26, 2017
Yup.

Do not use the native apps to watch video content. This dimming issue you speak of has been a problem. I was having the same issues with the native fandango and vudu apps as well. VUDU have since updated their app and so is no longer a problem

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

For me I went:

Local Contrast - High
Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - 0

I fucking hate how I can't access certain settings because the TV refuses to sync up with my phone using my college's internet.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I fucking hate how I can't access certain settings because the TV refuses to sync up with my phone using my college's internet.

Yeah, it's stupid that they only let you use them via the roku app, it should be accessible through the tv remote like the other settings are. Imagine how much it sucks for people who don't have smartphones.