Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hells needs to be REALLY good.

Like...I really hope that show isn't a boulder they've chained themselves to.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017

From what I've read about Hells, it seems like a well animated movie (from Studio Madhouse, so that's not a surprise) that has an interesting story, but some problems with characterizations and subplots. It makes me wonder how much (if any) free reign TFS will get with the dub, or if they'll only be given permission to do a direct translation, since they seem to specialize in retelling an overarching story with a lot of added character development and subplots.

It's a <2 hour movie, and they will almost definitely not have to do as much editing on it as they do for an episode of DBZA, so even if it flops I don't see it tying them up for too long.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I think it'd be fun to see them take a swing at Inuyasha(not aware if there's any notable parody dub of that) but again, another massive production..
There's been at least one decent Inuyasha Abridged series, but would legit go for TFS doing one even if only covering the original anime and how it ended back then.

The one I watched:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TFS isn't publishing Hells, Discotek is publishing it. TFS was merely hired to produce the English dub.

That means they're not chained to the project. It doesn't really affect them if it does great or bombs, TFS wins either way because they got paid to do work, and if their work was good enough at an affordable enough price, Discotek (or maybe even other publishers) might be willing to send more gainful employment their way.

Although, if the movie bombs, Discotek (TFS's most likely future employer) might not be able to afford to hire them for other projects, and if it does great, Discotek will definitely be able to afford to do it again, so it's indirectly good for TFS if the movie does great.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
TFS posted the soundtrack for the Plan to Eradicate Christmas movie:

I forgot how good some of that custom music is

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

Not much of an update but I don't mind this approach. (even though I wouldn't mind having it all at once)

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Nice! I may just wait to watch all at once still, though. I was planning a Gohan killing Cell party & I intend to keep it.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Man, feels weird that a whole new Dragon Ball series has come and gone, and we're still waiting on Super Saiyan 2 abridged.

But then, quality over quantity and all that.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i decided to check their website and it seems to drastically downsized. I must have missed the announcement, but I hope that isn't a bad sign.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
i decided to check their website and it seems to drastically downsized. I must have missed the announcement, but I hope that isn't a bad sign.

Oh, yikes... I expected DBZF to end, but that doesn't speak well to the state of affairs for TFS itself. Hopefully they're just trying to streamline themselves?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
According to Reddit this might be the cause.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamFourStar/comments/88f893/question_about_the_website/

For one the third party video hosting company they were using went under and they have not had much like in finding a replacement. All the website exclusive videos are gone and what videos that were still available were just embedded youtube videos. Someone mentioned something about noticing that most the website traffic was for the con page.

The site as been down and there has been talks about a updated version that'll be easier for them to keep track of. I don't know if this is just going to be the final or if this is just a placeholder in the mean time so people can see their con schedule.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
KaiserNeko posted an update on Episode 60 and TFS in general this morning on discord
Hey everybody! It's your friendly neighborhood director and editor Scott Frerichs, AKA KaiserNeko!
Since it's been months, and months, and months since the hiatus went public, we've been busy working on a bunch of different projects. Final Fantasy 7 Machinabridged has continued as par the course, Hellsing Ultimate dropped its 8th episode, we developed and released an entirely original video game with a new team brought on by Howard Wang, we' began (and have nearly finished) our Dub of the official Madhouse feature film Hells, and we've been seriously working on original animations, as well as some cute other side projects in the meantime. All the while, we've been scripting Episode 60 of Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
Today, I'm happy to announce that Episode 60 has moved onto recording, and I am working my damndest for a summer release. (Note: We are notoriasly bad with deadlines.) Not only that, but you can expect a very special premiere over the course of 3 weeks, in which will be premiering each part on Friday on Twitch, before it goes live on YouTube. You can also expect some other cool things leading up to its release, concerning our 10th year anniversary, crossing over with our 3 million subscriber milestone.
I am ecstatic that we are finally past scripting. I am also incredibly sorry it's taken so long for another update, but the last thing I want to keep telling you guys, is that we're scripting, we're scripting, we're scripting, etc etc etc.
Luckily, now that we're into recording, things will speed up quite a bit. For those of you who are worried about how long it took to get written, there was a lot of pre-planning that had to go into it, and some attention had to be split in order to get other projects rolling. But you will see the fruits of our labor soon enough.
Thank you all for your support! It's been a hell of a wait, but we want this to be the perfect ending to this Saga. It means everything to us. I'll have another update for you when editing has officially begun.... which actually is probably going to be in the next couple weeks. Recording takes barely any time at all. Thank you all, once more. This project means the world to me and... I just hope what we deliver is as satisfactory for you as we have so desperately tried to make it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
KaiserNeko posted an update on Episode 60 and TFS in general this morning on discord

At the very least he's still caging his language like this might not be the end of the show in total, just the end of the Cell Saga. Hopefully he doesn't make himself sick from working himself too hard again. I know how much he cares about this project, but of everyone involved it always seems like the episodes take the heaviest toll on Kaiser specifically.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see an update at least. :D Too bad, I'm sure many comments aimed at them from this will be the usual sad shit.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least he's still caging his language like this might not be the end of the show in total, just the end of the Cell Saga. Hopefully he doesn't make himself sick from working himself too hard again. I know how much he cares about this project, but of everyone involved it always seems like the episodes take the heaviest toll on Kaiser specifically.
I mean I'm pretty sure Kaiser does the most work on DBZA being the sole editor as well as involved in voicing and scripting

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm pretty sure Kaiser does the most work on DBZA being the sole editor as well as involved in voicing and scripting

Pretty much. As far as I can tell, the entire show comes together because of him. I wish they could find a way to lighten the load on him, but I suppose the editing process needs to all be done by one person - or at least on one computer. E-mailing raw footage back and forth between different editors wouldn't really work.

I just worry about the guy, since I know the stress of working on DBZA all the ways he does has made him sick in the past.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
And it's also confirmed that we're getting the future Trunks epilogue:
KaiserNeko said:
By the way, expect not only the 3-part finale, but also the Trunks episode as an epilogue to the season. It essentially makes it a four-part finale, but we're cheating the rules to make sure we have an even 60 at the end of the season. I'll cop to it! But I love the continuity, and I'm not letting it go.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Yesss.
DBZA is my favourite show on youtube, binged it when I was depressed and missed it when I was done.

Been waiting too long for this.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. As far as I can tell, the entire show comes together because of him. I wish they could find a way to lighten the load on him, but I suppose the editing process needs to all be done by one person - or at least on one computer. E-mailing raw footage back and forth between different editors wouldn't really work.

I just worry about the guy, since I know the stress of working on DBZA all the ways he does has made him sick in the past.
Kaiser's been pretty clear that he doesn't want other people to do the editing for him, so I'd expect things to remain as they are in that regard

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

Kaiser's been pretty clear that he doesn't want other people to do the editing for him, so I'd expect things to remain as they are in that regard

Time changes things. I still think if they go down the path of Buu, Kaizer should find a co-editor he trusts....... which could take forever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Time changes things. I still think if they go down the path of Buu, Kaizer should find a co-editor he trusts....... which could take forever.

That's my hope. Either Kaiser finds a way to outsource or share the editing burden, or at least finds someone he trusts to help with the lipflap edits. I think those are the part that drive him the most insane, just based on his edit walkthrough videos.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news from Kaiser, and he genuinely sounds pretty elated to be moving forwards with both episode 60, as well as their other ventures. I watch a lot of their streams and this week Lani's throat was pretty shot from recording episode 60, so if Vegeta's scenes are already underway, they must be hitting this full throttle.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm still hoping they can make a profitable IP instead of sticking w/ DBZA for too long, honestly. At this point, I want them to end after the Cell Saga. There's no way they'll finish the Buu Saga this decade at this rate, & I still think it's unabridgeable.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping they can make a profitable IP instead of sticking w/ DBZA for too long, honestly.
They already have a very popular streaming IP in StreamFourStar and all of the associated shows from that. Not sure how well FMK and Bento in general is doing for them, but it seems to be mostly a labor of love there so it might not matter as much.

That said, there will never be a new IP they could make that could rival DBZA in terms of animation, writing, etc.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still hoping they can make a profitable IP instead of sticking w/ DBZA for too long, honestly. At this point, I want them to end after the Cell Saga. There's no way they'll finish the Buu Saga this decade at this rate, & I still think it's unabridgeable.

I feel like they could do a DBZ Kai for all of Buu saga and then just abridge the final moments of Buu and End of Z

if they do that they should at least be finished before 2020 and they can give the series better closure

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I feel like they could do a DBZ Kai for all of Buu saga and then just abridge the final moments of Buu and End of Z

if they do that they should at least be finished before 2020 and they can give the series better closure

I'd be open to that. I'm sure I sound like a broken record at times, but there's not much I find good about the Buu Saga. And what good there is has nothing to do with Buu.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be open to that. I'm sure I sound like a broken record at times, but there's not much I find good about the Buu Saga. And what good there is has nothing to do with Buu.
That actually gives me a good idea... do you think there is a enough non-buu material in the buu saga that they could simply not have him at all? Or write him off in a single line or two ala Garlic Jr.

Obviously those two are on completely different scales, but I know there is a ton of filler/side plots in Buu saga. Would be neat if they could work that into a slice-of-life.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
That actually gives me a good idea... do you think there is a enough non-buu material in the buu saga that they could simply not have him at all? Or write him off in a single line or two ala Garlic Jr.

Obviously those two are on completely different scales, but I know there is a ton of filler/side plots in Buu saga. Would be neat if they could work that into a slice-of-life.

That would be my preferred way of them going about it, personally. Saiyaman & Videl were the highlight.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So Lani talked about the Buu Saga on his God of War stream. Stating that, if they do decide to do Buu, they want to do it differently. As in, at least produce 10 scripts at once and then make the episodes and release them over time rather than doing one episode at a time. So sort of like FF7 Machinabridged.

The way Lani talked about it makes me really think Episode 60 won't be the end. Just the last for a long while.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured they'd at least take a decent hiatus before doing the Buu saga if they decided to do it.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
As in, at least produce 10 scripts at once and then make the episodes and release them over time rather than doing one episode at a time. So sort of like FF7 Machinabridged.

I like that idea personally. Seems like a good idea as we'll have a long period of nothing and then suddenly boom, 10 weeks worth of episodes (assuming 10 scripts)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been on the "it's not ending here, they'll definitely do Buu eventually" train, but the way Kaiser's talking here makes me think otherwise.

At this point, I'm expecting they'll treat this like a series finale, but cage it with a "maybe someday we'll do more" statement that never goes anywhere.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on DBZ Adbridged a few weeks ago.

Loved it. Looking forward to 60, whenever it comes out.

But judging by the reactions here, I feel like a guy who's just caught up on Berserk manga or something.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I've always been on the "it's not ending here, they'll definitely do Buu eventually" train, but the way Kaiser's talking here makes me think otherwise.

At this point, I'm expecting they'll treat this like a series finale, but cage it with a "maybe someday we'll do more" statement that never goes anywhere.

They've made it clear there's no final decision of ending it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I don't think we'll ever get a formal statement on that front either way, honestly.
It would be severely out of character for them to end it without formally saying they are ending it. They have been pretty honest by saying they aren't sure what they are doing. If they honestly didn't think they'd ever go back to it they'd say something.

That said, I too am expecting a decent sized break after episode 60, and I also expect if they do do Buu, that it'll be in a different format (I'd imagine 5-6 minute episodes or a heavily reduced total episode count).

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of whether or not they do Buu will come down to how their recent non-DBZ stuff goes.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Caught up on DBZ Adbridged a few weeks ago.

Loved it. Looking forward to 60, whenever it comes out.

But judging by the reactions here, I feel like a guy who's just caught up on Berserk manga or something.

Try multiplying the a song of ice and fire books (game of thrones) by berserk and then you get DBZ abridged. To give you context, to get from episode 1 of DBZ to basically the end of cell saga....in episode 1 I was in highschool. Now I have two university degrees, working in my career of choice and getting married this summer. A lifetime has basically passed

Edit: their should be a thread about this. Where you were in episode 1 of dbza and where are you now

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It would be severely out of character for them to end it without formally saying they are ending it. They have been pretty honest by saying they aren't sure what they are doing. If they honestly didn't think they'd ever go back to it they'd say something.

That said, I too am expecting a decent sized break after episode 60, and I also expect if they do do Buu, that it'll be in a different format (I'd imagine 5-6 minute episodes or a heavily reduced total episode count).

Lanipator says that if they do Buu it will be like FF7 Machinabridged. Basically scripting and making 10 episodes at a time and releasing them weekly. So longer waits for episodes in general but shorter wait between episodes once they air.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I mean obviously after Cell they will do another episode of dbz kai abridged. they have to... right o.o;