• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you getting TSR?

• Yes, at launch.

Votes: 185 22.6%
  • Yes, later down the line.

Votes: 283 34.6%
  • Nope, no interest in the game.

Votes: 349 42.7%

• Total voters

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
To recapitulate:

- 21 tracks.
- 7 zones.
- Story Mode.
- Split-Screen Multiplayer.
- Single Racing.
- Team Racing.
- Team Builder.
- Online play.
- 15 characters.
- 130 OST tracks.
- Car Customization.

The delay did wonders on this game, and I went from waiting on a sale to definitely grabbing it day one. After the drought of Kart racers this gen I'm dying for one, and thankfully with the release of CTR next month too it seems like the genre is getting revitalized at least.
Should add 60fps

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I'm still curious on how the team racing mechanics are supposed to work, like I can be 8th and still win because my team mate went first?

And also, how I'm supposed to support my partner besides using items?
Some YouTuber played it recently and said that you can come first and lose if your teammates are waaaay behind you. You leave a trail they get boost from, plus you can send them items you get.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I mean, CTR is lorded for its gameplay. I think the PS1 game is ahead of any kart racer currently on the market (only comparable in gameplay depth to MK Double Dash).

It might not be for everyone though. As with all games, but I think gameplay is why the game is so revered.

Sounds reasonable. I guess 3 track 'zones' is okay, and having all stages be unique sounds great. I think Sonic stages are likely to have stronger visual themes than some of the tracks in their previous games. I wasn't a fan of some of the tracks like Burning Rangers and Skies of Arcadia - even as a big fan of Skies.

Shame about the lack of DLC plans though.
They didnt say no DLC plan. They neither confirmed nor denied so it might still happen.

I'm pretty hyped for the game and will get it day one. It helps that its 50$ cad and not full price.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am pretty disappointed with how this game has taken shape in a lot of ways, but I still expect it to be quite good fun. Not sure if it is an absolute day one purchase for me but I will probably pick it up if I can convince some other friends to do the same.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe? Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart has kind of quenched my thirst for Sonic racing games, so I'm not sure.

May 5, 2018
To me this is the Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite of Kart Racers. It will likely be a solid racing game made once again by Sumo, but there are some strange decisions. Kind of like how Marvel couldn't get the X-Men to be in Infinite and Capcom making...safe but dull character picks, the choice to make the game star only Sonic characters is a weird choice and makes the roster less exciting without having characters from other beloved Sega franchises. Not to mention the team racing mechanic could work in its own right, but having that and no transformations from ASRT makes it feel like a downgrade. Sort of like when Infinite went back to 2 v. 2 when 3 v. 3 was always the more exciting option. Thankfully you can have standard kart races too.

If it reviews well, I maaaaaaaay pick it up down the line on a sale. Or I might get Crash Team Racing or even just get MK8D instead.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I plan on getting it

I loved Transformed, and I have more of an attachment to Sonic characters than Sega characters, so I don't mind the roster not having Sega characters.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
It is releasing on my birthday. I will be getting this as a present.

Well, I would've bought it anyway. Looks so much better now than 6 months ago.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I like the other Sonic racing games, but only casually. In other words, they felt more like a "Sure, why not" than an absolute necessity for me to play, but they're very good games. They're especially great in a world where good arcadey racers aren't that much of a thing at the moment.

With that said, I'll very likely get this new one somewhere down the line during a sale on PC.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The character selection remains absolutely dire - a bunch of safe choices and fucking Zavok - and the track selection isn't much of an improvement with Sumo's Sonic Heroes obsession combining with asset reuse (at least two of the tracks being ripped directly out of the first ASR). I'm waiting for the Steam pricing to drop to make a decision, but I'm not paying more than £25 and even then it'll only be to pass a bit of time until CTR.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
0 hype when I saw the first gameplay footage.

I did not know it was delayed, last time I was aware of the game was when the first gameplay footage was shown and it just looked generic and slow compared to transformed.

After seeing the team up trailer it looks better and the added features look good. But my hype is still low Not a fan of the team racing part of it usually like going for the win myself.

My interest in the game will solely depend if my family and friends are interested in the local multiplayer.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
My Transformed play time is sitting at 170 hours across three platforms (3ds, Vita and PS3). Of course I'm getting this day one. But I do wish we could get Riders characters as DLC. Nobody's cooler than Jet the Hawk.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
A basic roster really should have been at minimum :

Team Sonic : Sonic/Tails/Knuckles
Team Dark : Shadow/Rouge/Omega
Team Chaotix : Vector/Espio/Charmy
Team Rose : Amy/Big/Cream
Team Eggman : Eggman/Metal Sonic/Orbot and Cubot
Team Dimensions: Blaze/Silver/Marine

For a more complete roster, I'd add :

Team Babylone : Jet/Wave/Storm

and then some bonus extra characters like the Chaos (I love that they're in the game tho), Flickies, etc.

I wonder if Egg Pawn is a 16th character that can be used as either speed, power or technique considering that his model is already in the game.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The game has looked better and better since the delay. Of course I'll miss my SEGA characters but I do like Sonic characters and Sumo Digital racers more so I'll be there day 1 on PS4.

I would get on Switch but it'll probably be 30fps..

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sumo racer, day 1.

I'm sure they'll add more stuff down the line, but I'm satisfied with what we've got for now.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
In for day one. The price is right, and as they've revealed more and more of the tracks, it just looks like a fun time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, can't muster much hype. I just never have, and never will, care about Sonic's universe outside of the 5 main characters we've always known. That's why All-Stars was so much fun. Now we have a roster made up of over half these Poochie-style lame characters.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I'm in if the Switch port is good. Everything about the MK11 port looked good prior to launch and its really not. I''ll wait until it release before I make a decision.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm absolutely getting this but probably on a sale at some point (it'll be $20-30 before we know it).

Unsure if I'll get it on Xbone or Switch... depends on the performance I guess.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Video is cringy but it has gameplay of 2 tracks that actually look interesting and it explains all the mechanics of the game if anyone is interested:

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely looking forward to it but my friends don't seem all that interested. I think they forgot how fun the last one was.

Hoping to day 1 the game but if they don't gain interest I'll probably hold off for a while.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Graphics in the Switch version look pretty good but the performance was awful last time they showed it off. If they managed to get it to 60fps, I will get it. If not, I will grab it for PS4 or PC eventually.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Day One and now we're talking. Unbiased poll options and an IP with characters that have real value and lasting appeal.

Huge contrast here to the equivalent Crash thread.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Graphics in the Switch version look pretty good but the performance was awful last time they showed it off. If they managed to get it to 60fps, I will get it. If not, I will grab it for PS4 or PC eventually.
I need to se more of the switch version. I'd love to have it portable, but I do have a ps4 pro...

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Having only 15 characters is bullshit in the wake of Mario Kart 8 DX but I'm still interested in this. Sumo knows how to put out a good kart game.

I mean, CTR is lorded for its gameplay. I think the PS1 game is ahead of any kart racer currently on the market (only comparable in gameplay depth to MK Double Dash).

Ahem. You forgot about Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need to se more of the switch version. I'd love to have it portable, but I do have a ps4 pro...

Off-screen footage from November. Since the video itself is only 30fps, it's difficult to tell how well it runs on average but even here you can see that it chugs sometimes.

Sadly, it's not really different from Transformed on consoles that had less than smooth 30fps on all platforms.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I loved the first 2. I am not interested in this one. I think I lost interest in the kart racing genre. I think the game looks great and I hope it does well.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Off-screen footage from November. Since the video itself is only 30fps, it's difficult to tell how well it runs on average but even here you can see that it chugs sometimes.

Sadly, it's not really different from Transformed on consoles that had less than smooth 30fps on all platforms.

framerate aside, that looks so fun. I can get it for ps4 pro or even pc if I want.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

November so a really old build before the delay, I expect Switch version to be stable 30fps in latest

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still disappointed that they focus on Sonic characters only, but it looks great and I'm confident that it will be good so... I'll get it :)

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
https://joshinweb.jp/game/teamsonic.html?ACK=JMMGH

New gameplay and screenshots in this article. The player sucks but gameplay of hidden volcano:

Screenshots include customization, hidden volcano, market street, wisp circuit, roulette road, whale lagoon, lost palace, the story mode and split screen.

Final Fortress is confirmed from this screenshot :

image.thumb.png.3cb0996745d538f0d20825f61c30a6fe.png

You can see Final Fortress to the right. Hoping really hard for an Egg Fleet track in there.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Something cool that I don't see mentioned too often is that there are three characters classes that have slightly different abilities instead of everyone being mostly the same like most kart racers. Speed characters can block attacks by boosting right as they're about to get hit by an item, Technique characters can drive off-road without slowing down, and Power characters can hit obstacles without spinning out and will also get more offense-oriented items.

I wouldn't put too much stock in footage from last year, that build is so old that it's basically useless for determining how the game will run now.

Last edited:

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lost all interest when they put Blaze with Silver. Not racing with that character on my team.