• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Top 3 comic film of all time. It was a great time to be a kid, with Batman the year prior. Diet Coke and Pizza Hut are seared into my brain thanks to the respective VHS releases.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It was a fantastic movie, the fight choreography was amazing.

It was pretty dark at times and a lot of parents complained so they cut it down for the sequel:(

Some great dramatic scenes as well:

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
As a kid, I enjoyed it, but liked Secret of the Ooze better. I quickly became a TMNT hipster, though, and I was this kid in middle school who turned his back on the cartoon and the Archie comic and was telling my friends about how the original Mirage comics were much better, but it gave me a new appreciation of the movie.

OP
OP
Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
forcefulgleefulaldabrjjj92.gif
u8eLedO.gif

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first movie I saw in theaters. It was amazing. I remember seeing the New Line logo and thinking it was a ladder.

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
"Looked like some kind of big turtle, in a trench coat. You going to LaGuardia right?"

Also Raph walking out of Critters and asking "where do they come up with this stuff?"

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest comic book films ever made, and I think it's one of very few movies where I can quote the entire thing.

I remember my dad taking me to see it on opening weekend since I was a die-hard Turtles fan. These were the days before advanced seating, so we went early to buy tickets for a late afternoon showing. The line was wrapped around the building of people waiting to get in. I thought it was even better than Batman when 9 year-old me came out from seeing it, plus the fact that it was so edgy and violent made it even better. Sucks that some of the actors and pressure from parents who complained it was too violent got the Turtles neutered for TMNT 2 and the godawful part 3.

And I know Elias Koteas has done a lot since then, but he is to Casey Jones what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine.

"A Jose Canseco bat?! Tell me you didn't pay money for this"

Last edited:

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
a) I feel old
b) This movie holds up remarkably well and it really is a travesty what they did with TMNT2 (e.g. no use of weapons)
c) DAMN I feel old :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best superhero movie ever.

MCU can get fucked.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I was in middle school when this came out and was just about to age out of TMNT.

Needless to say me and my friends were hyped as fuck for this movie. And that song was dope AF at the time (the dude rapping has a really smooth voice). Much better than Vanilla Ice's song (which we also marked out for at the time).

I stopped watching turtles after the movie was still into it enough to play the amazing arcade game, which I still enjoy playing even today.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, funny that this thread pops up considering I actually just watched this for the first time on Netflix last week. I was a big TMNT fan as a kid but for some reason I never watched this one. Also rewatched the 90's Power Rangers movie on Hulu last week which I hadn't seen since I was a kid. That one really did not hold up lol.

TMNT 90 has a few issues (Shredder enlisting a horde of teenagers to steal stuff is goofy as hell) but the practical effects with the turtles and Splinter still look amazing. I'll take that over the ugly ass reboot designs any day of the week. It has some really cool scenes too, like the final fight scene with Shredder and Splinter's flashback of when Shredder killed his master. Very quotable too.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea this released on my 7th birthday. Wow. It's one of my favorite movies and incredibly quotable.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the first movie I counted down the days until it came out in theaters.

The next one was probably TMNT: Secret of the Ooze. Those Vanilla Ice commercials were my jam.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I remember being so hyped seeing the trailer on those Burger King TMNT VHS tapes I replayed that more then the cartoon episodes that were on there.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took almost nothing from the show. It's adapted real close to the original Mirage comics.
EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's goofy tones of characters and turned up personalities, Cowabunga, and the colored masks. There are bit and pieces of show in it for sure, but yes, definitely stayed closer to comic which I appericate and works better cause of it.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's goofy tones of characters and turned up personalities, Cowabunga, and the colored masks. There are bit and pieces of show in it for sure, but yes, definitely stayed closer to comic which I appericate and works better cause of it.
Totally agreed.
We had Kevin Eastman as a guest last year at the comic con I co-own. Super nice guy, REALLY bad with money.

Divorce, bought a Batmobile, bought a publishing company that went belly up, etc, etc. Lost out on MILLIONS from the sale to Nickelodeon

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the first movie I counted down the days until it came out in theaters.

The next one was probably TMNT: Secret of the Ooze. Those Vanilla Ice commercials were my jam.
TMNT were so big in the late 80s and early 90s.

That cartoon hit children popular culture with the force of 100 atomic bombs.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The only children's property I can think of that were as popular as TMNT since the late 80s/early 90s was Pokemon.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agreed.
We had Kevin Eastman as a guest last year at the comic con I co-own. Super nice guy, REALLY bad with money.

Divorce, bought a Batmobile, bought a publishing company that went belly up, etc, etc. Lost out on MILLIONS from the sale to Nickelodeon
Really? I know he bought a tank for himself at some point. So he sold TMNT for a fraction of it's worth?

I'm surprised Heavy Metal Mag is still going tbh

OP
OP
Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Really? I know he bought a tank for himself at some point. So he sold TMNT for a fraction of it's worth?

I'm pretty sure Eastman wasn't involved with the sale to Viacom. He sold his remaining rights to Laird several years prior to that. He became involved after the sale when IDW obtained the rights to make new comics.

Laird still can produce Mirage TMNT comics if he chooses to.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Got my parents to take me to the theatres for this. Wasn't crushed like I was for SMB, but still thought it sucked. I probably wanted something animated.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh snap

This seems like it will be fun

fan.kevineastmanstudios.com

Watch TMNT With Me – COWABUNGA!!!

Grab yerself some pizza and a drink and fire up whatever version of the TMNT 1990 Movie you have and lets meet on Monday, March 30th for a party, LIVE on Facebook to Shellebrate the 30th Anniversary of the release of the 1990 TMNT Movie. Lets have fun together, enjoying things we all love while...

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Love putting this on for fun. The third movie I apparently used to watch on repeat as a child when we owned the VHS :)

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I saw this in theaters. I was 7.

Fuck I'm 37. Life comes at you fast.

I too saw this in theatres. The cinema even had people in costumes doing a little skit before the movie. Shredder came out and said he stole the film and we will never see it. All the kids and parents boo, then 2 turtles came out from the fire exits and beat em up and carried him off. We all cheered and the movie started.

It was awesome

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
6 year old me loved it and thought it was the best movie ever. 36 year old me loves it and believes it to be a legit good movie.

"A wise man once said, never pay full price for a late pizza."

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I too saw this in theatres. The cinema even had people in costumes doing a little skit before the movie. Shredder came out and said he stole the film and we will never see it. All the kids and parents boo, then 2 turtles came out from the fire exits and beat em up and carried him off. We all cheered and the movie started.

It was awesome

Thats awesome.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH

Yes, he sold off to Laird.. then Laird went and made the deal to Nickelodeon.

He's not broke, but he does the conventions to support himself.
We paid him a $5,000 flat fee and he got to keep the money from autographs. He went home with about $15,000 for a day's worth of work.

He had a huge line all day and was amazing to the fans that came to see him. We would have him back in a heartbeat.

Fun piece from the dinner we had after the show. We also had James OBarr (creator of The Crow) at the convention. He and Eastman were talking. Obarr was busting his chops "My book was the only damn thing your company ever printed that made money!"
Eastman replies, "Yup, you're right!"

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie shouldn't be as good as it is and it shouldn't hold up as well as it does.

Case in point: all other TMNT films