Kevers

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I was 4 when this came out and holy shit when my mom surprised me by taking me to the mall and we inched closer and closer to the theater I fucking lost it.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I remember clipping news articles and writing reports about the costumes (or at least to the extent a second grader writes reports). I listened to the soundtrack back and forth on cassette over and over. The comic adaptation? re-released original? blew my mind. Every scene of this movie is going to be stuck in my head forever. Strangely enough though I don't actually have any memory of seeing it in theaters even though I know I did.

My daughter is a year or so younger now than I was then. I wonder if she will have similar memories in 30 years of something like Frozen 2.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I had the soundtrack on cassette tape as a kid, I think it was the first album I ever owned, still listen to the mp3 soundtrack all the time, I give it a 9.95

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I hated this movie so much due to the silly sound effects they had in the German dub for every punch. Many years had to pass until I realized that this was only added in Germany to make the movie more child-friendly. The superior US-version is great!

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So those who saw it when they were kids, how did your parents feel about Raphael just yelling DAMN like a madman? lol

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
TMNT deserves a 4K remaster. Shout has done a great job with other older low budget films (like The Wizard), why not TMNT?

Given the indie nature of its production (the film is ultra grainy) I'm sure there's only so much they can do, but dammit, I still want it to happen.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the time travel plot hurts, but TMNT3 is still better than TMNT2 (not that TMNT2 is a bad film)
No, TMNT2 is definitely a bad film and TMNT 3 is worse.

i'm sorry. Believe me, as a kid born in 85 who loved the Turtles it pains me to say it but come on, those sequels are tiresome.

The only thing I like about Ooze is "They're babies!!" and honestly the movie shouldn't even have that line because WHY AREN'T THEY BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY??

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was acceptable back then for a PG movie.
It's still acceptable, they still make PG movies with "damn" and "hell."

What's wild is movies like Spaceballs which was rated PG in 1987, three years after the advent of the PG-13 rating, and has "shit" and "fuck" in it.

like, 88's Beetlejuice is also PG and also has "shit" and "fuck" and it has morbid imagery that was legit scary as a kid. I have no idea what their criteria was for PG-13 back then.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Loved loved loved this movie. still do. tried to get my 6 yr old to watch it and he no interest.

even liked the sequels even though they were lesser.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The most interesting thing about this film for me is the shift in how I watch it now. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the farm to be over, now it's the best part of the film for me.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
No, TMNT2 is definitely a bad film and TMNT 3 is worse.

i'm sorry. Believe me, as a kid born in 85 who loved the Turtles it pains me to say it but come on, those sequels are tiresome.

The only thing I like about Ooze is "They're babies!!" and honestly the movie shouldn't even have that line because WHY AREN'T THEY BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY??
This was the ONE THING the Bay sequel got right. They nailed Bebop and Rocksteady. The 1990 film is best seen as an adaptation of the comics, the Bay film as an adaptation of the cartoon.

Nov 27, 2017
Oh snap

This seems like it will be fun

fan.kevineastmanstudios.com

Watch TMNT With Me – COWABUNGA!!!

Grab yerself some pizza and a drink and fire up whatever version of the TMNT 1990 Movie you have and lets meet on Monday, March 30th for a party, LIVE on Facebook to Shellebrate the 30th Anniversary of the release of the 1990 TMNT Movie. Lets have fun together, enjoying things we all love while...

Did anyone check this out? Was it interesting at all?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I loved the hell out of this when I was a kid. Still do. Might watch it this week sometime, I think it's on one of the streaming services.

And yeah, as someone else mentioned up above, this was a different Shredder than we'd gotten used to seeing on the cartoons (I assume more in line with the original comics, which I've never read). It was messed up when the turtles finally fought him and proceeded to get their asses whooped.

CeramicDragon

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
Was Casey Jones' first appearance in the comics? I had never seen him before this movie.

57538dcc9c2a5b7d5c3247fce5d015c5.jpg

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I'll be 30 in a few days myself. This is easily in my top 3 movies of all time, maybe number 1 depending on the day you ask.
I was turtle crazy as a kid, though growing up in Ireland we got the censored UK version with no nunchuks (except in the games, nunchukphobia was film and tv only I guess).

The fuss over Raphael saying damn is still kind of unbelievable to me though, I don't think any other country in the world really considers that swearing

OP
OP
Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
There's a pretty cool oral history that just went up on The Ringer.

www.theringer.com

Green Screen: The Oral History of ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’

No one believed in a movie about four overgrown turtles who are trained in martial arts and named after Italian artists. Then it made more than $200 million, and launched a nationwide phenomenon.
Thanks for that. Some nice little snippets in there.

Hoag: I was doing pre-production on Ninja Turtles while I was wrapping up Cadillac Man with Robin Williams. I'd literally zip out of there every Friday then zip back Sunday night and shoot, and it was funny because it was Robin who asked me, "Where are you going? You are out of here." And I said, "I'm shooting another movie." And he said, "Well, what's the title of the movie?" Now, I didn't know there was a cartoon. I didn't know anything about it. I'd never heard of Ninja Turtles beforehand. And so when he asked me, I was embarrassed. And I think I mumbled it a little bit. I was like, "Yeah, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." And he went, "What?" He lost his mind. Because he had the first comic book. He was a fan. And he said, "Are you playing April?" He was so excited. From then on I was like, "I'm in a movie called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
How involved were Eastman and Liard in the film adaptations?

it seems weird to me to be against BB&RS but still be cool with using clear analogs.
The first movie is basically straight out of the comics. Maybe they just didn't like the tone of the second film, which was clearly toned down to not be as violent or serious.

probably brought up already in the thread but the movie was made when they hardly knew fuck all about the cartoon (much less TMNT would become a worldwide sensation)

TMNT 1990 is essentially a weird little indie movie that found itself in the right place at the right time

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Just rewatched ... some fight coreography aside it holds up pretty well

...except the "claustrophobic" joke.
That makes zero sense

Thanks for that. Some nice little snippets in there.

Hoag: I was doing pre-production on Ninja Turtles while I was wrapping up Cadillac Man with Robin Williams. I'd literally zip out of there every Friday then zip back Sunday night and shoot, and it was funny because it was Robin who asked me, "Where are you going? You are out of here." And I said, "I'm shooting another movie." And he said, "Well, what's the title of the movie?" Now, I didn't know there was a cartoon. I didn't know anything about it. I'd never heard of Ninja Turtles beforehand. And so when he asked me, I was embarrassed. And I think I mumbled it a little bit. I was like, "Yeah, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." And he went, "What?" He lost his mind. Because he had the first comic book. He was a fan. And he said, "Are you playing April?" He was so excited. From then on I was like, "I'm in a movie called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

Robin keep on being awesome even after so many years ='D