• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People disguises as Balthazar or royal pages from that king in the holiday of Día de Reyes (day of Kings) remembering the catholic tradition of the "three magicain kings" which honored with gifts the newborn Jesus. They do that due lack of black people to perform that role, the same that they use false beards to impersonate Mechior and Gaspar, the other two kings, and the same way that in traditions as moros y cristianos (moor and christians) half of the disguised impersonate moors.

Is not a racist thing, you can find racist behaviour in some sectors of soccer stadiums, etc. But this tradition is not one of those cases. Being offended about this is the same about being offended in a japanese funeral about the guest wearing white clothes instead of the classic black clothing so common in western mournings.

That's the "why" explained.

Comparing blackface to the color of clothes people wear at funerals? Oh wow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People disguises as Balthazar or royal pages from that king in the holiday of Día de Reyes (day of Kings) remembering the catholic tradition of the "three magicain kings" which honored with gifts the newborn Jesus. They do that due lack of black people to perform that role, the same that they use false beards to impersonate Mechior and Gaspar, the other two kings, and the same way that in traditions as moros y cristianos (moor and christians) half of the disguised impersonate moors.

Is not a racist thing, you can find racist behaviour in some sectors of soccer stadiums, etc. But this tradition is not one of those cases. Being offended about this is the same about being offended in a japanese funeral about the guest wearing white clothes instead of the classic black clothing so common in western mournings.

It is racist, stop chatting shit

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt knew this was a tradition in Spain, I know one of the 3 Magic Kings is black but why is everyone black?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
tenor.gif

Every fucking year.

Before any of the usual suspects slither in here...
Yes it's blackface.
Yes it's racist.
Fuck your tradition.
No the movie White chicks is not a valid argument.
Neither is Tropic Thunder.
You're all fucking idiots.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
They are actually seeking for this tradition to be recognized by the UNESCO in the cultural heritage of humanity list...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was not expecting that many or to that degree, christ almighty, How on earth does that even happen these days.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
They are actually seeking for this tradition to be recognized by the UNESCO in the cultural heritage of humanity list...
That'll be a no given the internet's reaction.
When did this tradition start exactly?
Curious if it's before or after americans started making fun of black people using makup.

...people have used white chicks as a defense for black face?

....HERE?!
I had to google that. Lol wtf?

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It's racist but they just don't get it because they're taught that this is normal and never why it's insensitive/offensive. Many of them would probably be horrified if they had proper context or at least I hope they would. Hopefully, sooner or later, someone with some kind of authority will get the message out and those people in 20 years time will ask themselves what the fuck they were thinking.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing Blackface, History of Severe Infractions

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, blackface is sadly very accepted an normalized in Spain. From Baltasar on the Three Kings parades, to performances on TV shows impersonating black celebrities...

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
It seems cultural and they are passing out candy? Besides painting their faces, are they spreading bigotry or hurting the image of black people with negative connotations?

I'm uncomfortable with this, but unless there is mal-intent I will just say this is cultural differences and give it a "Its fine. This is fine. THIS. Is fine".
The act of blackface itself is "mal-intent".
Congrats on being the first person to defend blackface in the thread.
Edit: My bad, you weren't the first genius to do so.

Last edited:

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's certainly interesting.

This is the second cultural event I've learned about involving blackface. I wonder how many there are.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck your tradition, create a new one. How about don't fucking wear blackface day? Lot of other countries and people had to give up and traditions and belief because of many reasons, you can do it too.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The best devil's advocate argument I can think of is that its ethnocentric to apply western notions of racism to traditions of other cultures

But I'm not an asshole, so I won't make that argument

Good thing Spain is considered part of the West or we might have a problem here

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Spain and while of course the Three Wise Mages is a BIG deal here (national holiday and all) and Santa is considered cultural invasion, this is frankly the first time I've seen this parade. Of course Balthazar has always been depicted as black (more Middle Eastern, if you ask me), that much is true, but I'm as dumbfounded as everyone else here. Certainly no one in our media has even mentioned it.

Edit: I see El País reported about it on their English Edition. Nothing in Spanish, that's for certain. So if you're out of social media like me, it might not be rare to have never heard about this tradition. Certainly this is the first time I've seen it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Away from our regional opinion and history.

From their culture and perspective, are they doing this to intentionally to hurt or damage. That's my question.

If the answer is yes: fuck them.

The distinction you're making is meaningless. There is no form of blackface that isn't offensive. You could spend a few seconds typing "history of blackface in europe" into google and answer your own question.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Iran has something similar with the Hadji Firoez character. Apparantly it's also on the UNESCO list.

haji_firuz_1.jpg

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Context for the uninitiated:

REALLY bad optics aside, theyre cosplaying King Balthasar, one of the Three Kings:

800px-Girolamo_da_Santacroce_-_The_Adoration_of_the_Three_Kings_-_Walters_37261_-_Detail_A.jpg

Growing up in Spain I can tell you that hes beloved and everyones favorite.

636823206113311078-1440x808.jpg

However, I agree that its probably time to stop dressing up. Its not done to mock or insult, growing up in Spain (in the 80's and 90s, thats as far as I can speak to) you never heard about blackface, what it means or of its place in American society/culture. In this day and age though, we all need to learn, grown and adap because its obviously a blind spot for Spanish people who havent lived abroad.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
It's a racist tradition yes. But I don't think those people even realize thats its racist and offensive, that's the issue.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It took two pages but one showed up...

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Finally, when night falls the following day, 5 January, the great moment arrives: the Three Wise Men make their spectacular entry into Alcoy, riding camels and loaded with presents. They ride through the streets of the town, following "antorcheros" (torch bearers) who light up their way. The atmosphere fills with Christmas carols, and the royal pages ("els negres") hand over their presents to the children. They use wooden stepladders to climb up to the balconies and windows of the houses, filling this unique night with magic.

In my opinion, it is more or less irrelevant if there was or still is some racist intention behind that circus, but reception changes and in our modern world that is a global network of ideas, it would be much better to stay away from the paint in the face. You can have a great event without the blackface and lose nothing essential imo.