Votes: 151 19.8%
  • Victor

Votes: 123 16.1%
  • Reina

Votes: 488 64.0%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just playing with the changes in practice mode I can already tell Leroy is going to be overwhelming.

SS 1+2 (which is +7 on block) can now be spammed because you don't need Hermit stance to use it. So you can just do two of those into standing 1+2, 1+2, 1 into Heat Dash or just Heat Smash.

If opponent is blocking you've literally just done 50% health in chip damage and you're now in their face with + frames.

Sure you can duck all of this, but they've buffed some of his mids too so…

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Okay in an actual match Leroy don't feel that much better. New move is nice. The rest seems mostly inconsequential.

He still has no good mids and no safe launcher you can just throw out like everyone else seems to have multiple of (orbital gets you floated 80% of the time).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they made Jun into another Avatar Belial alright. Even her b+1+2 , 2 Heat Engager does permanent damage now, regardless of whether it actually connects. Heat's already active? You're still taking damage for using Kazama Power at all, as the patch notes threatened.

No point in playing the character as things are right now (this would annoy me more if I hadn't been neglecting her lately).

Jun 25, 2022
Tekken 8 Drag is pretty much dead. He's 7.5 Drag now.

Leroy buffed to almost launch levels again. Will switch to him until the next patch for now.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There were some adjustments to how colors in customization work, namely for the cyber suit outfits for the female characters (i.e., coloring the glowing lines black instead used to leave white pixels in some of those parts, that's since been fixed).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Azucena not able to spam wr3,2 anymore is good news

Now I can find something else to be salty about

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will most likely put together a Sajam Tekken Slam 2 OT when I get off work today. Can't wait for this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Looking over this week's TNS, wasn't expecting a Mai Shiranui custom for Asuka from King Rey Jr., very nice work (I was thinking of trying the same thing if I were to drop the coins earned back on more cosmetics now that I've completed the premium pass, already gave Asuka one based on Ryoko Izumo from World Heroes while on the subject of SNK).

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I did some ranked with Jun last night and...yeah, I'm done with her until I see how they buff her in 1.05. I just don't know why they'd do this incomplete balance change stuff, it's really annoying. It's not like Jun was demolishing in tourneys and had to be nerfed ASAP.

I fought a couple Leroys, he seems very strong now. I struggled.

Looking over this week's TNS, wasn't expecting a Mai Shiranui custom for Asuka from King Rey Jr., very nice work (I was thinking of trying the same thing if I were to drop the coins earned back on more cosmetics now that I've completed the premium pass, already gave Asuka one based on Ryoko Izumo from World Heroes while on the subject of SNK).

The grand finals from last night's TNS was wild. So close. Drag is still really strong.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Man, why are Leos so annoying to fight? There's such a deceptive cadence to their attacks, and the hitboxes make fuck all sense. Then if you get clipped by a chance knuckle, you get floated a mile while Leo strikes a dozen poses.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The grand finals from last night's TNS was wild. So close. Drag is still really strong.
Yeah, he's definitely far from dead even with the nerfs.
Man, why are Leos so annoying to fight? There's such a deceptive cadence to their attacks, and the hitboxes make fuck all sense. Then if you get clipped by a chance knuckle, you get floated a mile while Leo strikes a dozen poses.
That's pretty much it. That weird "WTF are they even doing?" attack flow can lead to getting hit by a lot more things than you'd expect to actually land, especially if you don't feel like bothering to lab it (I certainly haven't felt like it).

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything more demoralizing than losing to your own main in a mirror match. I was tilted lol.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Fun little ELO thread on Reddit

I range from above average to strong player with my Lee (Purple) and Yoshi (Orange) but I feel like my Yoshi is skewed because I played one set and won then haven't played him online since lol. Lee is the majority of my playtime out of 130+ hours.

It's ironic because there was a thread a week or so ago regarding how we see ourselves in terms of skill level and I stated I'm at least the higher end of average, or above average so it's funny seeing numbers "back it up".

Highly doubt it's accurate but it's fun to look at.
I skimmed the link twice and still don't understand. Someone explain this to me like I'm five.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
I skimmed the link twice and still don't understand. Someone explain this to me like I'm five.
TL;DR: They people running the Wavu Wank site (what a name...) found a way to pull the results of every Ranked match played. They then used this information and calculated ratings the Glicko2 rating system, which is generally going to be way more accurate than whatever insane system Namco made for ranks in Tekken. So you can punch in someone's in game handle (has to be an in-game name, not PSN, XBL or Steam username) and find the results of every ranked game played for that player and their rating for every character they played.

There are some caveats:
  • Since Ranked matchmaking is largely going to be separated by Region, different regions are going to have different ranges of ratings. This is going to cause players in more competitive environments (like Korea) to generally be underrated relative to players in less competitive regions (like the US). The ratings within the same region should be reasonably accurate, though.
  • The rankings can end up being distorted by how the game's matchmaking works, especially for people who don't have a ton of games played. Glicko2 tries to normalize players ranks (and fairly quickly at that), but you can only play the people the game puts in front of you.
  • This system does not account for people disconnecting or rage quitting at all, since those games don't show up (as they never actually finish).
  • I would generally not use the tiers given in that Reddit post, especially on the high end (2000+). There's probably not as much separation there as there should be, for a number of reasons (general lack of games played by top players in ranked, pro players rarely taking ranked super seriously, etc.).

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
After the patch I can't find matches. I can leave the game running in the background and if I'm lucky I can find only a wifi warrior with bad DCs in half an hour.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Ranked stats for May:

Jk68qOP.jpeg

xYaKEVa.jpeg

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I got someone to rage quit during a quick match last night. A quick match. I have an atrocious overall win rate in quick match (the rate in ranked is better, but still dropping).

Continuing to even bother with online... just another reason why it's feeling more and more like I can't.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally I was promoted to Mighty Ruler! I took some time off recently to finish FF7: Rebirth, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown and Metroid Dread and I really got back into the swing of things tonight. Even though I feel like I'm a lil rusty I was able to do it. I guess I needed some time away to reassess things. Now I just gotta keep it up and see what happens.

One thing I noticed is that I'm able to perform the long combos I wasn't able to do weeks ago. Although I still need to get better about doing it in actual matches, in training and offline I got it down. Now I just need to keep it pushing.

Last edited:

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
Fun little ELO thread on Reddit

I range from above average to strong player with my Lee (Purple) and Yoshi (Orange) but I feel like my Yoshi is skewed because I played one set and won then haven't played him online since lol. Lee is the majority of my playtime out of 130+ hours.

It's ironic because there was a thread a week or so ago regarding how we see ourselves in terms of skill level and I stated I'm at least the higher end of average, or above average so it's funny seeing numbers "back it up".

Highly doubt it's accurate but it's fun to look at.
Unfortunately not able to find myself, I wonder how many of the players they actually have in the system

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why? So you could just not play it for two years? Even if the game is a bit scuffed it's better than literally not having it lol.
Yeah. I also still like this version of this game better than T7. Especially compared to pre-season 3 T7. It has some balance issues, but I find it so much more fun to play.

Still no way to change character on the menu screen. Forced to see the dlc?
No. They did mention potentially investigating making this an option so hopefully that happens.

Azucena not able to spam wr3,2 anymore is good news

Now I can find something else to be salty about
I initially read this as "Now I can find SOMEONE else to be salty about" as that definitely sounds like a T8 Tekken player to me. lol

I did some ranked with Jun last night and...yeah, I'm done with her until I see how they buff her in 1.05. I just don't know why they'd do this incomplete balance change stuff, it's really annoying. It's not like Jun was demolishing in tourneys and had to be nerfed ASAP.
Yeah, there was definitely some balance stuff that they needed to act on pretty quickly, but I feel like they're making a lot of fairly aggressive changes that they maybe should've sat on for a little bit. I really hope the game gets to a place where notable balance changes aren't happening at such a weird cadence.

Oct 27, 2017
No. They did mention potentially investigating making this an option so hopefully that happens.

Yeah, I was hoping when they said that, it'd be sooner than later. And the first "major" balance patch after Eddy being on the menu for a few weeks seemed a good time to either revert back or give us the option. A dlc character taking up the menu with no way of changing it seems silly but it's probably equally silly being upset by it *shrug* I don't mind Eddy, but him not being a main of mine or a main character just feels like the ad that it is shoved in my face.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was hoping when they said that, it'd be sooner than later. And the first "major" balance patch after Eddy being on the menu for a few weeks seemed a good time to either revert back or give us the option. A dlc character taking up the menu with no way of changing it seems silly but it's probably equally silly being upset by it *shrug* I don't mind Eddy, but him not being a main of mine or a main character just feels like the ad that it is shoved in my face.
Yeah, the T8 main menu is sort of like a more stylish version of the T6 main menu. My guess is they like it as a marketing thing but also, they kind of have more important things to tackle. I could see them maybe compromising: at the start screen is the latest DLC character and at the main menu is whatever character you choose? I wouldn't be surprised if this feature was added when Lidia drops.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah agreed, I don't want to stare at a DLC character I have zero interest in every time I'm in the main menus.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else bummed by how generic the pass objectives are and the fact it's only doable online?
-complete x character episode
-complete x amount of episodes
-perform x move with y character z times
-battle/defeat x boss in arcade battle
-play (x amount of) tekken ball from lounge/beach area (could possibly drive some population down there)

Get creative, get people to explore your game ffs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else bummed by how generic the pass objectives are and the fact it's only doable online?
-complete x character episode
-complete x amount of episodes
-perform x move with y character z times
-battle/defeat x boss in arcade battle
-play (x amount of) tekken ball from lounge/beach area (could possibly drive some population down there)

Get creative, get people to explore your game ffs.

Doesn't bother me at all. Makes casual matches a one stop shop for all BP related missions, because the missions all intertwine with each other.

Now, GBFV Rising's BP includes missions that require you to play Grand Bruise, the game's Fall Guys facsimile. I wouldn't mind if Tekken 8's added weekly missions that required you to play Tekken Ball, but I would not be unhappy if the missions remained the same. It makes the BP very easy to complete, outside of the time investment.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me at all. Makes casual matches a one stop shop for all BP related missions, because the missions all intertwine with each other.

Now, GBFV Rising's BP includes missions that require you to play Grand Bruise, the game's Fall Guys facsimile. I wouldn't mind if Tekken 8's added weekly missions that required you to play Tekken Ball, but I would not be unhappy if the missions remained the same. It makes the BP very easy to complete, outside of the time investment.
I just don't always want to jump online. Keep them for those that do, but add some variety for various player types.

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't always want to jump online. Keep them for those that do, but add some variety for various player types.

Both Tekken 8's and GBFV Rising's BPs require online play to finish the missions and progress on the pass itself. Does SF6's require online play? I don't know, because the battle passes for that game have consistently been not worth doing, unless you just really love your battle hub avatar.

I'd normally be in agreement with your sentiment of wanting single player modes to grant progress on the BP, since I'm not an online grinder. At the end of the day however, the online play is the most important aspect of these games, and they want you playing them and playing against other people. I'll say that at least doing dailies takes like 1 or 2 casual/ranked sets, and that's not even 15 minutes of time spent.

Oct 27, 2017
Both Tekken 8's and GBFV Rising's BPs require online play to finish the missions and progress on the pass itself. Does SF6's require online play? I don't know, because the battle passes for that game have consistently been not worth doing, unless you just really love your battle hub avatar.

I'd normally be in agreement with your sentiment of wanting single player modes to grant progress on the BP, since I'm not an online grinder. At the end of the day however, the online play is the most important aspect of these games, and they want you playing them and playing against other people. I'll say that at least doing dailies takes like 1 or 2 casual/ranked sets, and that's not even 15 minutes of time spent.
I may be repeating myself here so forgive me, but my issue isn't so much just filling the bar but it's the idea that doing anything else seems like a punishment as it doesn't help towards filling it, especially if you paid for it.

So I can no longer just kick back and relax with some SP sessions because now there's a bar with a timer and I need to get online to be considered truly playing the game correctly. And online is a bit more stressful and tryhardy and not always a go to for after work or before bed. There's a reason why MK1 gets more playing time from me (despite my vocal issues about it) with each new season. They can add some more engagement for the ai battles and arcade quest. Like cycling in tournaments at each arcade with unique rewards based on its themes or seasonal theme if Tekken goes about such a thing (Tekken # legacy/anniversary, collab, holiday etc).

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

The Grand Bruise ones are the worst for me because it doesn't seem like a very popular mode, especially in Europe. I leave it searching for 5 minutes and then change regions to try and get a match. I usually go between USA and Japan to eventually get a session. Shame because it is actually kinda fun but just doesn't have enough variety.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they put all the free customizables from the Treasure Battle mode of T7 and put them in the online pass instead. I'm sure they did this to keep engagement numbers higher, but you know if they would just spend more energy balancing the game, improving network and PC lag conditions and removing bad actors, maybe then they wouldn't need to dangle a carrot in front of people to get them to play online.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

I was pleasantly surprised to thankfully not see any Grand Bruise requirements for GBVSR this week.