Votes: 151 19.8%
  • Victor

Votes: 123 16.2%
  • Reina

Votes: 487 64.0%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Anyone who said Shaheen was an easy character has never played him.

He's got crazy stance cancel combos if you want optimal damage. He's got just frame inputs that seem harder than most. I cannot execute the slide input from right side to save my life lol.

Also he's secretly a charge character with that new move they gave him, so that is a skill most Tekken players won't have.

Even beyond the charge mechanic, they really succeeded in making him a unique and interesting character in this game. He has a lot of moves that deal chip damage, and then he has all these attack throws that delete all recoverable health. They're sharpening that assassin identity.

I feel like he'll continue to fly under the radar until someone pulls him out in tournament and then everyone realises how cool and skill expressive he is.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing all the customization videos, I thought it would be an improvement from Tekken 7 but no it managed to be worse

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
I can't do back+2 loops with Lee to save my goddamn life.

And now he's got just frame shenanigans. It's like they're trying to make me stop playing my main. I'm crushed. Maybe it's time to start learning new characters. I've always wanted to learn Leo, and Reina's cool.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't do back+2 loops with Lee to save my goddamn life.

And now he's got just frame shenanigans. It's like they're trying to make me stop playing my main. I'm crushed. Maybe it's time to start learning new characters. I've always wanted to learn Leo, and Reina's cool.

Lee has had just frames tho?

But yeah his back 2s are tricky so I just do forward 1,2 instead to take them to wall.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I'm not really a fighting games guy aside from playing a few Soul Caliburs very casually in the past but Youtube videos of this game fell into my attention so I played the demo on Steam and had a good time. Something about the hits feel so visceral and satisfying, especially Jin's Double Chamber Punch.

I may jump in.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So why hasn't Asuka ever looked as cool as she did in Tekken 5? Like, I get what they're going with in 8 but she looks dumb as fuck. I get it, you go to school. Why is that her identity?

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
After some great lessons from DoubleTake I made it THIS close to Shinryu.

… Only to go on the most disgusting losing streak lol. -400, -400, oh hey a purple, -400, -400, finally a win, +100.

Fergus has put out his Jun guide. Time to study it 10 times at .5 speed.

Jun 25, 2022
A little early to be doing a balance patch... thought we'd wait until EVO Japan at least.

But anything's better than waiting an entire year for a single patch.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Agreed, Yoshimitsu needs to go.

Poor Yoshi.

Also, hornybat to anyone running Alisa's KOSMOS alt.

A little early to be doing a balance patch... thought we'd wait until EVO Japan at least.

But anything's better than waiting an entire year for a single patch.

But hey at least you can *checks notes* spend $24 on some fugly avatar gear. It's almost like the dearth of pvp content isn't happening!

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, no worries.

I expect from my own experience, I'm having trouble finding ways to start or follow up juggling combo offence that aren't the two or three presented by the game's combo challenges, maybe other newbies are the same way.
Throw in how her heat buff is increased chainsaw chip, and how she has a few hefty one and done moves, we're all out here being a bit predictable unga bunga in the pursuit of damage
Regarding a few ways to follow up uf+4,4 that prioritize damage:

uf+4,4 --> crouch --> WS (while standing) 1,2,3 --> uf+1 (f+3 during explosion to boost forward with shift to Dual Boot) --> f+1 once in range

uf+4,4 -> crouch --> WS 1,2,3 --> b+2,3 --> f+2,3,3

Alternatively, instead of shifting into Dual Boot from uf+1 with that first one, you could also close the gap with WR (while running) 3,4 instead, particularly if they're near a wall.

For ways to be a bit less predictable on offense, rather than using the 1+2 follow-up after b+1, you can just use the b+1 then try something like crouching 1+2 or go for her db+1+2 grab, or maybe even use crouching 1 or 3. Sometimes you'll want to just maintain space, things like df+4 and b+3 being good for that. YMMV if trying to keep them guessing with the low at the end of df+3,3 yet you'd be surprised how often d+4, 1+2 actually works. When closing distance, you'd be surprised how often d+3 will connect to hit them low, following up with 1 after that rocket slide catching people relatively often but 4 being good against crouching opponents while also being safe on block. f,f+1+2 triggers a follow-up on counter hit and is something to consider using while at mid-range, 2,2 being guaranteed to connect once you get the counter hit. 1,2 is pretty important for checking opponents, you could try 1,2,d+2 to end with a low but it's pretty telegraphed and will likely not be as effective against more advanced opponents. Sidestepping with 4, 1+2 gets people more often than one might expect if used sparingly.

3,2 tends to land fairly often as far as Heat Engagers go in my experience, don't feel even remotely bad about spamming d+1 in Destructive Form against people (especially since it can't be low-parried anyway). f+2,1 is also a Heat Engager to consider. Going into f+2,2 from Dual Boot while in Destructive form seems more effective during oki in my experience, such as with landing her 2+3 throw then activating Destructive Form with 1+2 toward the end of it.

I'm not sure how helpful any of that was, but those are at least some things to consider as someone who's made it back to red rank with Alisa after getting there with her before back in T7.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding a few ways to follow up uf+2,2 that prioritize damage:

uf+2,2 --> crouch --> WS (while standing) 1,2,3 --> uf+1 (f+3 during explosion to boost forward with shift to Dual Boot) --> f+1 once in range

uf+2,2 -> crouch --> WS 1,2,3 --> b+2,3 --> f+2,3,3

Alternatively, instead of shifting into Dual Boot from uf+1 with that first one, you could also close the gap with WR (while running) 3,4 instead, particularly if they're near a wall.

For ways to be a bit less predictable on offense, rather than using the 1+2 follow-up after b+1, you can just use the b+1 then try something like crouching 1+2 or go for her db+1+2 grab, or maybe even use crouching 1 or 3. Sometimes you'll want to just maintain space, things like df+4 and b+3 being good for that. YMMV if trying to keep them guessing with the low at the end of df+3,3 yet you'd be surprised how often d+4, 1+2 actually works. When closing distance, you'd be surprised how often d+3 will connect to hit them low, following up with 1 after that rocket slide catching people relatively often but 4 being good against crouching opponents while also being safe on block. f,f+1+2 triggers a follow-up on counter hit and is something to consider using while at mid-range, 2,2 being guaranteed to connect once you get the counter hit. 1,2 is pretty important for checking opponents, you could try 1,2,d+2 to end with a low but it's pretty telegraphed and will likely not be as effective against more advanced opponents. Sidestepping with 4, 1+2 gets people more often than one might expect if used sparingly.

3,2 tends to land fairly often as far as Heat Engagers go in my experience, don't feel even remotely bad about spamming d+1 in Destructive Form against people (especially since it can't be low-parried anyway). f+2,1 is also a Heat Engager to consider. Going into f+2,2 from Dual Boot while in Destructive form seems more effective during oki in my experience, such as with landing her 2+3 throw then activating Destructive Form with 1+2 toward the end of it.

I'm not sure how helpful any of that was, but those are at least some things to consider as someone who's made it back to red rank with Alisa after getting there with her before back in T7.
I'll take this knowledge into practice later on, thanks for the tips!

edit: oh hang on, you meant uf+4.4 right? was having a bit of a confusion moment at first there lol

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh as a total fighting game noob, looking at some of the combos on the list in practice mode just makes my head spin. I'm struggling with just basic combos with diagonals and the general timing of button presses lol (can mostly do them in practice but against an opponent actually attacking it's a whole different story). Overall definitely out of my depth here, but still having a lot of fun with this. Feels even the simple moves I can pull off look pretty flashy and satisfying.

May end up trying more of special style (or whatever the simplified control scheme is called) since that seems designed for someone like me. For now will plug away at Arcade quest mode, at least until the AI starts getting too much for me.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
any other steve mains in here? tekken newbie and prolli not the best starting character but he seems fun lol

Oct 27, 2017
Edit I think I reacted to their pic and didn't notice the name changed back unless his twitter has never changed?

Last edited:

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Is Alisa players in lower ranks, the low rank Guile/Ryu players of this game? You know, couple of struts, no adaptability, no rematching types.

Everyone I fought played just like this to a T (5:58 if timestamp didn't work)

View: https://youtu.be/M053TkR_Cr8?t=358

I'm realizing for myself I'm not as bad as I think because even if I'm not great, I can adapt pretty quickly compared to most opponents I know. This is probably the plus for playing Tekken for so long (since T2)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Heh as a total fighting game noob, looking at some of the combos on the list in practice mode just makes my head spin. I'm struggling with just basic combos with diagonals and the general timing of button presses lol (can mostly do them in practice but against an opponent actually attacking it's a whole different story). Overall definitely out of my depth here, but still having a lot of fun with this. Feels even the simple moves I can pull off look pretty flashy and satisfying.

May end up trying more of special style (or whatever the simplified control scheme is called) since that seems designed for someone like me. For now will plug away at Arcade quest mode, at least until the AI starts getting too much for me.
If want also if you click on the threadmarks here, there's a great spreadsheet with more optimal and even easier to execute combos for a lot of the cast

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
After some great lessons from DoubleTake I made it THIS close to Shinryu.

… Only to go on the most disgusting losing streak lol. -400, -400, oh hey a purple, -400, -400, finally a win, +100.

Fergus has put out his Jun guide. Time to study it 10 times at .5 speed.
Haha glad I could help! Keep grinding the climb will come once everything really clicks.

Funny enough you were right about me making it into Purple. I finally did it after our sets! Went on an 11 game winning streak.

View: https://imgur.com/a/IXkXMM2

EDIT: Also this game was never going to take long to patch. There is A LOT of busted stuff in T8 right now and they cant let it sit until Evo or even Evo Japan before fixing it. We are all basically beta balancing the game right now.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Who's catching the nerf or buff

If they do any nerfs, expect Dragunov to get hit as a first priority. He's overtuned in an almost hilarious over the top way.

Once again though, general reminder that we are playing the 5.0/6.0/7.0 equivalent, AKA we are playtesting the game for them right now in the same way that arcade players used to do for years before the home version came out. This game won't be balanced for a while, if at all.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Players in yellow ranks one and done even if they've won the game 😭.
It kind of feels like people are being more aware of how many points you lose and gain after a match and are starting to care more. I also noticed players that are way below or way above my rank not accepting rematches because I guess they see it as a waste of time points-wise. They'd get like 50 points for winning.

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
Lee has had just frames tho?

But yeah his back 2s are tricky so I just do forward 1,2 instead to take them to wall.

I used to do the forward mist step 1,2 all the time in older titles. It doesn't feel the same in Tekken 8... I dunno if it's because of my controller or what. Maybe I'm just getting old.

And I feel like his just frames were never this prominent in older games. Or at least not as plentiful.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If there's downsides to starting off with a 32 character roster, balance is probably #1
Without a doubt. And Heat plus no Arcade version makes it even harder.

If they do any nerfs, expect Dragunov to get hit as a first priority. He's overtuned in an almost hilarious over the top way.

Once again though, general reminder that we are playing the 5.0/6.0/7.0 equivalent, AKA we are playtesting the game for them right now in the same way that arcade players used to do for years before the home version came out. This game won't be balanced for a while, if at all.
Facts. I feel like character balance will come with time as it usually does but what do you think they should do with the heat system if anything?

Currently I feel like it happens way too much and causes unnecessarily stupid situations for the offensive player. Like not all low smashes being launch punishable or the mid smashes leading into guess for game shenanigans. I also think smashes shouldnt track as much and burst needs its range toned WAY down. You have any thoughts or ideas? Just asking because I've matched with you online before and youre clearly a better player than me hahah

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Without a doubt. And Heat plus no Arcade version makes it even harder.

Indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they did the right thing to differentiate themselves from the competition: One of whom is lacking content but not balance, the other that's lacking both. But I was expecting there to be some truly broken shit on release. I'm hoping that's all they're looking at here, as opposed to "Strong" things from characters.

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023

That's interesting, is he really that much worse than Victor or Azucena?

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So, king gets you in a chain grab...

Do you just like hit buttons and pray lol? Even as someone who has messed around with his kit, I just don't really get how you break his stuff, the info is in his movelist right?

Even then it's not all that clear to me

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I've caved.

Will be playing this tomorrow. Plan on doing lots of offline content before I go online too 😅

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So why hasn't Asuka ever looked as cool as she did in Tekken 5? Like, I get what they're going with in 8 but she looks dumb as fuck. I get it, you go to school. Why is that her identity?
For me, the issue isn't that it's school themed but just the look itself. Lars costume is goofy but it's goofy in a way that's fitting of the character in this universe. Asuka's costume is one that I can't conceive of anyone IRL or in the game universe of Tekken thinking it was a good outfit to wear. lol. She's dressed like she's wearing her boyfriend's button up and sweater. The button up and sweater are just so weirdly big and baggy in a way that is baffling to me. I get they didn't want to just do a normal schoolgirl uniform again but this was not the answer.

I'm indifferent to the shoes, I like the gloves and I don't hate the hat. Take that stuff, apply it to one of her previous schoolgirl costumes, replace the plaid skirt in those old costumes with plaid pants (to differentiate from past costumes and because her plaid shorts look bad), add a loosened tie around the neck and what you're left with maybe isn't some all-time banger of a costume but it's at least a helluva lot better than this game's default and it's still very distinctive from previous Asuka schoolgirl costumes. With the character customization you can get most of the way to this costume but unfortunately, it'll be lacking the sweater and gloves. Still, even that ends up looking significantly better than her default so I've been rocking that for a bit. I didn't love her Tekken 7 outfit in Tekken 7 but here I don't hate it. I think it just speaks to what an ugly game Tekken 7 was even at the time of release. A lot of characters look weird in that game and Asuka was definitely one of the characters who looked weird. Pretty much all of the Tekken 7 costume designs translate to this game really well.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Did a full set

That's interesting, is he really that much worse than Victor or Azucena?
Victor isn't really that crazy. His throw break bug will be fixed but he's just killing people because none knows his strings or that he's actually really punishable on a lot of stuff.

Azucena seems okay for the most part save for that stupid running 3,2 move. Though I haven't fought many of her to get a full picture.

Dragunov is literally a waking plus frame. His new db3+4, fc+1,4 and qcf 4 move are just horrible to deal with and have so little counterplay. Like if you fight a drag who knows how to play the game you feel like you can't play or move.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Patch tomorrow, it'll break all current relays so watch them while you can.
View: https://x.com/TEKKEN_Project/status/1754800640650510804?s=20

Fuucuck. Guess I'll be spending some time this evening recording my replays before they vanish.

Hoooly shit story DLC with Jun? LFG

I've caved.

Will be playing this tomorrow. Plan on doing lots of offline content before I go online too 😅

Welcome!