• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite newcomer?

• Azucena

Votes: 149 19.7%
  • Victor

Votes: 123 16.2%
  • Reina

Votes: 485 64.1%

• Total voters
May 26, 2018
I have legit never blocked so many people in a social setting before, and it's not even close. It kinda makes me hate fighting games that I'm doing this so frequently. Have to remind myself it's Tekken 8, not everything else.

Last edited:

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
IMG_2478.jpg

May 26, 2018
I keep coming back to the same question: why am I playing this? It doesn't make me happy. It makes me dislike people. I'm not like that in real life, I like people in real life. This game has interesting mechanics but it sucks as a human experience.

May 26, 2018
Yeah, I'm done. Found myself with a full block list and thinking "I should remove the lowest level blocked players to make room" and realized... what the fuck am I doing?

This isn't fun. This isn't a game. This is... social media fuckery. I hate social media (haha, look where I am) and this is what I'm doing.

Nah.

Tekken 8 is a bad cycle. I've already given it 320 hours. That's what it gets.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
My block list is loooong, lol. Just people with shitty connections. I don't block people that one and done or anything like that. It's funny when I run into them again, haha. Then they bounce again! Lol

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm done. Found myself with a full block list and thinking "I should remove the lowest level blocked players to make room" and realized... what the fuck am I doing?

This isn't fun. This isn't a game. This is... social media fuckery. I hate social media (haha, look where I am) and this is what I'm doing.

Nah.

My recommendation is to just take a break. I think we will see less pluggers as months go by.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Sucks that casual matches are locked to best out of 3, i hit purple with Leroy but want to hone my skills more for the next push into blue ranks without the added stress of ranked, but everytime i fight someone interesting i only get max 3 fights out of them ;(

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn the story mode was really fun. Felt like a super video game/anime story line lol. Now to do some of these character episodes.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Got 5th place at my locals!

Wasn't expecting to crack the top 8 since it seemed like I keep getting close to top 8, but only have once in the past month... Getting better!

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the story mode was really fun. Felt like a super video game/anime story line lol. Now to do some of these character episodes.
Enjoy, they're really fun and a return to form.

Nah.

Honestly, what is it that is bothering you so deeply?

I hardly play to the game's strengths but have quite enjoyed myself because it's Tekken. Sure, I've had moments of being bested by absolute beasts or from spammers I haven't had time to adjust to after they one and done, not to mention folks with shitty connections... but I'm not blocking or getting overly flustered because of this. I can't imagine you're consistently coming across cheaters that frequently to indice your reaction. If it's a skill gap thing, either take a break or learn that it isn't that big of a deal (like me).

But I have been there in MK1 where I will absolutely not play online anymore because I CAN'T play it the way it wants me to AT ALL. Difference is I'm not going on there and blocking everyone giving me a hard time. I just blocked myself from playing lol.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Chipotle over the weekend and learned that apparently the Tekken promotion started. 500 Tekken coins with every order, essentially the cost of one costume (costumes are 400 coins; $3.99). I wouldn't go out of your way to buy Chipotle for this (especially if you dont like it) and Chipotle isn't exactly cheap these days but if you're like me and go through spats of buying a lot of Chipotle (because it's easy), now wouldn't be the worst time for that (worth noting at least). You have to order online or through the app and use promo code EWGF623. I already got the costumes I want so I gave my code to my cousin. Oh also, i don't think this promotion includes the PC version?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Bought Chipotle over the weekend and learned that apparently the Tekken promotion started. 500 Tekken coins with every order, essentially the cost of one costume (costumes are 400 coins; $3.99). I wouldn't go out of your way to buy Chipotle for this (especially if you dont like it) and Chipotle isn't exactly cheap these days but if you're like me and go through spats of buying a lot of Chipotle (because it's easy), now wouldn't be the worst time for that (worth noting at least). You have to order online or through the app and use promo code EWGF623. I already got the costumes I want so I gave my code to my cousin. Oh also, i don't think this promotion includes the PC version?
I haven't been able to fully put it into practice, but it seems like you can cheat the system by just getting chips for $2 & still get the 500 Tekken Coins. I used the same strat for Street Fighter 6's promo event with Chipotle where you could earn Fighter Coins with each order.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm settling on learning Yoshi right now. He seems like a trolls wet dream.

I just want to hara kiri some players.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, when can I squeeze in a turn while Eddy is spamming his shit? I've taken to d/b3,3,3ing with Yoshi and going into flea to counter the gimmick which made one person one and done despite a win since they knew I had a plan.

But I need to know a correct one.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, when can I squeeze in a turn while Eddy is spamming his shit? I've taken to d/b3,3,3ing with Yoshi and going into flea to counter the gimmick which made one person one and done despite a win since they knew I had a plan.

But I need to know a correct one.

Not sure if it's the move I'm thinking of but I noticed you can power crush his move when he goes into his handstand so I do that to reset and then keep up the attack. Jabbing is not effective against Eddy

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's the move I'm thinking of but I noticed you can power crush his move when he goes into his handstand so I do that to reset and then keep up the attack. Jabbing is not effective against Eddy
I think I'm being trolled/rolled by the 3 spam or whatever the one button combo is. Or that into various mixups. I feel like I have no opening but I know that's just my lack of knowledge.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm being trolled/rolled by the 3 spam or whatever the one button combo is. Or that into various mixups. I feel like I have no opening but I know that's just my lack of knowledge.

Trust me I know the feeling, I've fought maybe 20 Eddys and maybe won like 3 of those, and I only just started figuring out things (need bigger sample size to know if it's for real though). Like you, I felt completely overwhelmed by his constant attacks.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
The twitter discussion around this game is so depressive. Feels 2016-2017 SFV.
Really hope the game has a good showing during Evo Japan.

Oct 27, 2017
My ignorant, cynical ass just has me thinking they're unable to keep up so therefore game bad now.

But I'm sure there are underlying issues some vets are having so I don't put much stock in my aforementioned opinion. Much...

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
It does reminds me of how the SF community felt about SFV after Infiltration post capcom cup 2016 interview.
Just way to much negativity. There is fair issues to talk about but there is also a lot of nostalgia bias.
I def think thing will probably be more positive once the tournament season kicks in with Evo Japan and ComboBreaker.

ShinadaGOAT

Sep 3, 2018
I was so hyped for this game but it ended up disappointing me greatly. I'm not talking about the Twitter discourse surrounding mechanics and balance.
The biggest problem was the online experience. After getting spoiled by SF6, playing this online game was a miserable experience for me. The biggest one was the broken matchmaking in my region. It seems like finding a ranked match (or any match really) is really random. Sometimes it takes seconds other times I can go an hour without getting matched. This problem has affected my whole region without a fix since the game launch. When I finally get a match the netcode is also bad with inconsistent delay and high ping (especially bad on Wifi and potato PC players). I can't even dislike the mechanics because I'm not able to learn the game and play other people.

The story mode is so good though. Probably the best fighting game story mode I have ever played.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I think Knee and Arslan have valid points about the gameplay/systems. Arslan have been voicing concerns since the CNTs.

The online experience is not the greatest (as also noted above), which is souring some/alot of people, including me.
Me personally, there is something missing with the game. I can't put my finger on it exactly. I do not have the urge/drive/excitement to play alot at the moment, which is surprising. I love Tekken. I was super hyped for T8 on the lead-up. Some of my hype died down after the CNTs.

I think it's the combination of the HEAT system and the shoddy online. The flow of matches and what is happening moment to moment and playing with and around the heat system, there is something not vibing with me. It doesn't feel "fun" sometimes. "Fun" is nebulous though, of course, person to person. Sometimes when I play, I am just rolling my eyes, win or lose.

Also, this is a me thing that I have complained about before, I don't think the game is the most visually clean, in regards to seeing moves, etc. It's a combo of costume colors blending with backgrounds of stages, some of the stages being too busy, alot of the customization pieces, things floating around people, auras, etc. Again, it's a me thing with my eyes. Sometimes it's not fun to look at.

The biggest thing is the online experience though, for me, that is causing me to not to play as much as I would thought I would be, especially compared to early T7. The netcode is the major thing for me. Then the wifi players, the potato PCs, the bad connections, the rage quitting/no penalties for it, the menu system and how you move around the modes. The one and dones are honestly last on my list, those are not a big deal to me in the big scheme of things.

SF6 has spoiled me. That is the standard. Playing SF6 online is a joy. T8 is not, imo. I probbaly need to get to some locals more.

That all said, I still think T8 is fun on a base level, I still want to play it, I still want to learn. the Tekken is the Tekken. I'm excited to see the tournament season start up, and see how this all plays out and what changes the dev team does over the year, in response to people's issues with the game. EVO Japan is going to interesting. Though it sucks it seems most of the Pakistan players won't be there.

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get the battle pass to level 50 after a few dedicated play sessions. Mostly stuck to quick matches at first, but then tried my hand at ranked:

QOEJOVs.jpg

Not bad, I suppose. This is the first Tekken game I've really tried playing online. I could probably get to the blue ranks if I really tried, but once I max out that BP, I'm taking a break from the game. I kind of echo the sentiments of the online experience being lacking.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be quite honest, I do miss Tekken being slower and less visually busy. Like getting annihilated by Eddy with that stupid stupid combo (or variations of) had me missing his original stuff. The slower, dancier idle stance rather than the stiff, robotic version he has now (it's like someone with no rhythm trying to do the Eddy stance). It's still fun but I miss simple Tekken (visually and with regards to movesets). All the glowing shit whether it's heat or rage or armor is just meh and whatever to me. I'm not playing it because "OMG these visuals are attracting my eye as I do CRAaAaAZY moves, this game is NUTS!"

At the same time, I did like the early hitsparks and lighting effects on the characters and VF fans scoffed at it so I get their reason for trying to be even more flashy for newer audiences.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be quite honest, I do miss Tekken being slower and less visually busy. Like getting annihilated by Eddy with that stupid stupid combo (or variations of) had me missing his original stuff. The slower, dancier idle stance rather than the stiff, robotic version he has now (it's like someone with no rhythm trying to do the Eddy stance). It's still fun but I miss simple Tekken (visually and with regards to movesets). All the glowing shit whether it's heat or rage or armor is just meh and whatever to me. I'm not playing it because "OMG these visuals are attracting my eye as I do CRAaAaAZY moves, this game is NUTS!"

At the same time, I did like the early hitsparks and lighting effects on the characters and VF fans scoffed at it so I get their reason for trying to be even more flashy for newer audiences.

Makes me extra nervous about what they're going to do to my boy Lei. The aggressiveness that the team is pushing doesn't leave a lot of room for fluidity and grace. They did a good job with Azucena, but most of her fluidity happens with her passive animations and auto-dodges, not her attacks.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me extra nervous about what they're going to do to my boy Lei. The aggressiveness that the team is pushing doesn't leave a lot of room for fluidity and grace.
I felt like 7 already made him more stiff imo. But I don't really play him so that's probably me just judging his nu-Paul before nu-Paul aesthetic he had going on. The non-flowy clothing didn't help.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Hit Shinryu today after being stuck on Garyu for a couple weeks. Feels really nice. I don't know if it was just a lucky batch of matches but I felt like I was adjusting and reading my opponents' better today and properly able to strategize on the fly.

As a Devil Jin player (I just like T3 style Jin) I do feel I'm rather gimmicky as a player and relying a lot on the heat burst/smashes rather than proper technique but it's slowly getting there.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Just one? Does Roger Jr. or Roger's wife finally fly solo?

Neither. Across Roger Jr.'s 3 endings, it's actually Roger Sr. who has the strongest and most complicated character arc. If we allow the TTT2 ending to squeeze into semi canon, I think now is the time to bring back Roger for one last bout to prove to his estranged family that he's turned over a new leaf.

Ideally, they also bring in Alex as an echo fighter and have them duke it out like Jin and Kazuya.

If they go that route, we can also examine Alex in a more sympathetic light. Although his only interaction with other characters--aside from losing to Yoshimitsu at rock paper scissors--was to try and eat Roger Jr., he was alone in that desert for who knows how long. Looking at the T2 endings for Roger and Alex, Roger celebrates with a full mob of kangaroos. Sure, he stands out a bit with his bright red boxing gloves and proclivity for running instead of hopping, but that didn't stop him from forming a family. Meanwhile, Alex is left to ponder a fossil out in the desert, trying to reconcile his unnatural existence with the distant echo of his ancestors, for he has no one else. For all we know, he remained isolated in that desert for years, preying on Roger Jr. only as a means of survival.

At some point, bludgeoned beyond reason, both Roger and Alex realize they share a mutual affection for Roger's family, and put their differences aside to join forces as dads/husbands and become the most bizarre family unit in the animal kingdom.

Roger Jr. can take over next game, assuming another small time jump. At that point they'll need to come up with a new impetus for his fighting though. T6's premise for Roger Jr./Mama was already kind of thin, but cute.

Look, I've been waiting a long time.

Really it's the moveset I'm most craving, but the above could be the cherry on top. Not getting my hopes up, though. Just getting the character would be monumental. Actual follow through on the ongoing plot of non-Mishima characters--goofy ones at that--is beyond all reasonable expectations.

Still... the Roger family did have one of the more successfully serialized stories from T5-TTT2. A man can dream.

Last edited:

CaveGhostPurp

Jan 12, 2022
If Fahk comes back at all then they've really fucked up.

I will say, in an attempt to make the game more aggressive and exciting, I think they've actually managed to make a ton of characters way more obnoxious to go up against than ever. There were very few characters I hated fighting in Tekken 7, by comparison

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If the next DLC character is another veteran, who do you all expect it to be and who do you all want it to be?
I want it to be Miguel or Armor King, but that's too much melanin for one season pass so I won't get my hopes up. šŸ˜‚

I'd expect uhhh, I dunno, Julia or something.
We likely already know all of Season 1 based on the leaksā€¦
  • Eddy
  • Lidia
  • Marduk
  • Fahkumram