• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
Hmmm...

Could it be that some people are using the wrong black level?
Does the black level do anything in HDR? I played ryze son of Rome yesterday on pc with a b7 and played around with the black level. Low looked better at first glance but was way too dark und crushed the blacks really hard. High i needed 2 minutes to adjust for the brighter picture and it looked washed out at first compared to low but it was the correct setting and looked way way better in the end.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
What's the correct black level.

For PC and modern video game consoles use high black level and make sure that you set the RGB level in the console itself to full, NOT automatic or limited. (set it to limited and then to full just to make sure the console really switches to full RGB)
You can ignore what's between the brackets, it's just a thing I like to do. Can never be too careful!

Does the black level do anything in HDR? I played ryze son of Rome yesterday on pc with a b7 and played around with the black level. Low looked better at first glance but was way too dark und crushed the blacks really hard. High i needed 2 minutes to adjust for the brighter picture and it looked washed out at first compared to low but it was the correct setting and looked way way better in the end.

For PC I think high is the correct level to set it at.

Note that PC HDR mode is broken in LG TVs, so make sure to avoid it.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
PSA: Guys just buy a 7 series while you can! They are just as good as the 8's, coupled with lower lag! Don't waste ya money :)

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Ya bastards convinced me to order one. If these price protection shenanigans actually go through I think I'll be able to get my 65B7a for $1400
How are you getting a 65 incher for the price of a 55 incher, damn
That being said, I'm kinda set on buying the 55B7V now, which is funny considering I will likely not even see its full capabilities. If that streaming vs bluray thread is anything to go by, only 4k gaming and UHD blurays can really make the fullest of a 4k tv, at least in the legal space which I don't intend to leave, and I'm done with buying single movies.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the last couple days looking at TVs and feel at loss. My budget is strictly £650 for a 55" 4K HDR TV. My overall budget is £1,100 and I'll be spending £450 on an Xbox One X. I've narrowed it down to these models:

Sony KD55XE7002BU - £649
Samsung 55MU6120 - £619
LG 55UJ635V - £579

What one do you think is my best option? While I will be using the TV for games I'm not looking for any gaming features from the TV. As long as I can let the XB1X run at 4K HDR and watch movies in 4K HDR on Netflix I'll be happy.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking at a new TV.

I could get a 65" 4K Samsung for £1000.

Or a 55" OLED for £1700.

The OLED looks much better in the shop.

Shall I do it?

Shall I?

I should, shouldn't I?

I had to make a similar decision, for a the same price I was looking at a 65" C7 or a 75" Sony X900E.

My previous TV was a 55" Vizio P series. I ended up going with the OLED, and for a few days it seemed pretty big compared to the old set. I don't think about the size, but the picture is still incredible. I've had it for about two weeks and I'm still just constantly impressed at how great it looks.

Do whatever makes you happy, but IMO a slightly larger screen is going to feel passé a lot sooner than the OLED picture quality.

I've spent the last couple days looking at TVs and feel at loss. My budget is strictly £650 for a 55" 4K HDR TV. My overall budget is £1,100 and I'll be spending £450 on an Xbox One X. I've narrowed it down to these models:

Sony KD55XE7002BU - £649
Samsung 55MU6120 - £619
LG 55UJ635V - £579

What one do you think is my best option? While I will be using the TV for games I'm not looking for any gaming features from the TV. As long as I can let the XB1X run at 4K HDR and watch movies in 4K HDR on Netflix I'll be happy.

Do you have any games systems now? X1X is cool but presumably you'll have the TV far past the point it's still relevant. I'd pass on the Xbox and just get a better TV unless you currently have no way of playing games.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to make a similar decision, for a the same price I was looking at a 65" C7 or a 75" Sony X900E.

My previous TV was a 55" Vizio P series. I ended up going with the OLED, and for a few days it seemed pretty big compared to the old set. I don't think about the size, but the picture is still incredible. I've had it for about two weeks and I'm still just constantly impressed at how great it looks.

Do whatever makes you happy, but IMO a slightly larger screen is going to feel passé a lot sooner than the OLED picture quality.

Do you have any games systems now? X1X is cool but presumably you'll have the TV far past the point it's still relevant. I'd pass on the Xbox and just get a better TV unless you currently have no way of playing games.
I have a PS4 Slim and a PC. I don't think my PS4 can do any kind of 4K and my PC isn't powerful enough.

My original plan was to wait for the PS5 before getting a 4K TV but I have been wanting to get an XB1X and then I'll buy a next gen console when they come out. Any TV i get i will hope to keep it for the rest of this generation and all of next generation. I just don't know what TV to go for.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Man, I'm pretty convinced some of you just have busted panels or something. This dim HDR thing is just not my experience at all.

Psssstttt.....

(I think this every time I see those posts.)

I know everyone is different, but it reminds me of the old "everyone like LEDs more than plasma because of the brightness" when plasmas were 100 times more accurate with both calibrated.

I have a PS4 Slim and a PC. I don't think my PS4 can do any kind of 4K and my PC isn't powerful enough.

My original plan was to wait for the PS5 before getting a 4K TV but I have been wanting to get an XB1X and then I'll buy a next gen console when they come out. Any TV i get i will hope to keep it for the rest of this generation and all of next generation. I just don't know what TV to go for.

Your PS4 will still do HDR FYI (which is a wayyy bigger deal than 4K imho)

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

If you want the TV to last that long I wouldn't cut corners on it. It would be a different story if you just wanted a budget set to hold you over a year or two but you'll just be regretting it for the next 5 years. Any chance you can wait a little longer and increase your budget slightly? As you move closer to the £1000 mark you should be able to get a much more capable set. Either that or at least wait for the inevitable World Cup sales and you may be able to get a better set with your existing budget?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Open box, but was it used? Open box from Bb can be very different from Used Very Good on Amazon.

Also that's awesome. Phenomenal price.

It was from Best Buy . Had been back in the store for a week, and was open box. It was on display showing material when I came across it. Who knows if it was on all day during that week, but I jumped on it.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
lol I can't wait until they start doing Atmos and you're in here talking up every Apple sale :)
I totally will =)

Well, maybe. My guess is it'll still be in the DD+ wrapper so it's like a 6 mbps bitrate and the true hd core is still like 17 or something. And that doesn't matter for like 98% of people, but unfortunately, it very much matters for me.

It'll still be the perfect platform to buy/rent on for stuff where idc that much about AQ tho.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I totally will =)

Well, maybe. My guess is it'll still be in the DD+ wrapper so it's like a 6 mbps bitrate and the true hd core is still like 17 or something. And that doesn't matter for like 98% of people, but unfortunately, it very much matters for me.

It'll still be the perfect platform to buy/rent on for stuff where idc that much about AQ tho.

The way I see it, this is not stopping me from buying discs - which I'm sure I will do at some point. Like you said, $5 is pretty sweet when you don't care too much about the PQ or AQ (e.g. I bought Goodfellas in 4K. I don't think I need the disc to see Pesci's mug with even more clarity)

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

quite easily surpasses the likes of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Horizon Zero: Dawn

giphy.gif

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Soooooo glad my cables are showing up this week. Friday afternoon/Saturday is install day, and then GoW is prolly gonna be the first thing I pop in.

So excited.

E: continuing to read that statement I quoted, I still kind of can't believe it? Those titles are the bar for 4K/HDR on consoles (imho). "easily surpass." That's just wild.

Also, those games succeed because, unlike something like an AC:O where it's simply a good HDR implementation (again imho), the combination of both technical as well as art direction/design is what i continue to see people impressed with in GoW.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's still on sale (you can't check prices in itunes of movies you bought) but I picked up Collateral last week for 6.99 on sale in Itunes. It's only HD but I love that movie, watched it again recently and as good as ever. Didn't even buffer once through the stream. Tom Cruise should have been the villain in more movies.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know if it's still on sale (you can't check prices in itunes of movies you bought) but I picked up Collateral last week for 6.99 on sale in Itunes. It's only HD but I love that movie, watched it again recently and as good as ever. Didn't even buffer once through the stream. Tom Cruise should have been the villain in more movies.
That movie is so damn good.

We just watched it last summer.

Also I'm 100% of guilty of loving pretty much every thing Michael Mann does. He has this really unique way of capturing the "feel" of the cities he shoots. LA is awesome in that, as well as Heat. And similarly for Miami in Miami Vice.

Also agree on Tom Cruise as a villain. That club shootout sequence is still incredible.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo glad my cables are showing up this week. Friday afternoon/Saturday is install day, and then GoW is prolly gonna be the first thing I pop in.

So excited.

E: continuing to read that statement I quoted, I still kind of can't believe it? Those titles are the bar for 4K/HDR on consoles (imho). "easily surpass." That's just wild.

Also, those games succeed because, unlike something like an AC:O where it's simply a good HDR implementation (again imho), the combination of both technical as well as art direction/design is what i continue to see people impressed with in GoW.

Yeah...I didn't even play Horizon in 4k HDR and I STILL stopped to just look at the scenery almost every 5 minutes. I can't imagine a game looking nicer than that on existing console tech...and again, I haven't even been exposed to it in HDR.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
That movie is so damn good.

We just watched it last summer.

Also I'm 100% of guilty of loving pretty much every thing Michael Mann does. He has this really unique way of capturing the "feel" of the cities he shoots. LA is awesome in that, as well as Heat. And similarly for Miami in Miami Vice.

Also agree on Tom Cruise as a villain. That club shootout sequence is still incredible.

Miami Vice was Mann too? I'll pick that up on an Itunes sale. I didn't watch the movie version of Miami Vice. I agree about the club shootout scene in Collateral and think it might be the one of the best action scenes in any movie. Even John Wick would be impressed. The camera angles, the music, the lighting, it's insane.

I see Heat is $7.99 in Itunes right now too, 4k hdr too. Going to pick that up.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Mann is amazing. I'm convinced that if Heat was 20-30 minutes shorter it'd be one of the best movies ever made.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the market for a TV later this year. I want HDR, and I'd ideally want OLED. My budget is hopefully under $800, but I could be convinced to go up to $1,000. With new sets coming out, is there hope for good HDR OLED TVs to fall into that price range later this year around the holidays, or should I just go for a regular LED/LCD set with HDR

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
It's weird to me that there's all kinds of stuff in 4K in iTunes that isn't 4K on disc yet.

Miami Vice was Mann too? I'll pick that up on an Itunes sale. I didn't watch the movie version of Miami Vice. I agree about the club shootout scene in Collateral and think it might be the one of the best action scenes in any movie. Even John Wick would be impressed. The camera angles, the music, the lighting, it's insane.

I see Heat is $7.99 in Itunes right now too, 4k hdr too. Going to pick that up.

Miami Vice is a really great, but kinda flawed movie. I really like it a lot. Music and aesthetic of the movie is super well done.

Yeah, Mann is amazing. I'm convinced that if Heat was 20-30 minutes shorter it'd be one of the best movies ever made.

I'll take as much DeNiro and Pacino as you can give me!

Status
Not open for further replies.