• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Idiot here:

Would plasma screens ever have been able to get to like, 1K nit brightness for HDR? Or would the screen technology eventually have limited it before getting to that mark?
Samsung's last flagship plasma, the F8500, was one of the brightest ever made and it pales in comparison to recent OLEDs. On a white full field pattern, it could get up to ~80nits before the automatic brightness limiter kicked in. For a small window pattern, its peak brightness was a little under 300nits (my memory is a little hazy on the exact figures). This was actually considered to be a significant milestone--particularly in comparison to the rival plasmas at Panasonic. For comparison, the competing model from Panasonic (the VT60) topped out at ~160nits for small window patterns. For full field patterns, it was even worse at 35-40nits! To put things in perspective, LG's 2018 OLEDs can do over 900nits in a small window and over 150nits in a full field in HDR (SDR is 380nits and 200nits, respectively).

Could it have been possible for plasma to get bright enough for HDR? Maybe, but it'd be one hell of a struggle. Plasmas have always been very power hungry. The Panasonics in particular would also act like a space heater in a small room; I can only imagine how hot one it would be at several hundred nits. Even if they were able to pull it off, good HDR on a plasma would suck up so much power and produce so much heat it would be impractical. Unless some engineers created a miracle, the end of plasma was inevitable with HDR.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone summarize Chris's tweets? He took them down about an hour ago. Apparently he was unaware of any embargo lmao.

- 4000:1 native contrast ratio. kind of poor compared to the top VA panels.
- 700-800ish nits but able to maintain that level of brightness in all windows. 2017s would get dim in small window highlights.
- 60Hz

the other stuff was super technical and related to him calibrating the set. he hasn't actually viewed any content on the set yet.

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im buying the new Sony A8F that's coming at the end of the month in europe: how badly am i gonna need to tinket with it in order to configure HDR and all that stuff? At first i thought that was automatic but after seeing different related threads it looks like there's no standard and tv's sometimes wont simply detect and turn on HDR or whatever

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet didn't know about this one. Why the LG over the Sony if it has potential drive issues?
I bought an X700 and had lots of issues with it and seemed like others on avsforum as well. Plus I don't trust Sony on their Dolby Vision update. Also, LG is releasing new models soonish if you can wait. If not, apparently newer LG UP970 models don't have drive issues if you can buy one and easily return it if it's an older model.

If not, I've been very happy with my Phillips BDP7502 so far

Not sure I would wait on Panasonic as maybe only the 400$+ model will get DV, if it even comes out here. Also make sure you get one that does Dolby Vision. It does make a difference

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using that Phillips for a few months now. The DV update made a lot of other things better, too. Mainly the interface speed. It's a little slow to boot up, but I've had no playback issues and the drive is quiet. Looks great on my B7 and I'm happy with it, especially for the price.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the world of Q9FN.

Doesn't need torches in GOW's caves either!

45a5847a-1cad-4d1e-b0wprr.jpeg

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Welcome to the world of Q9FN.

Doesn't need torches in GOW's caves either!

45a5847a-1cad-4d1e-b0wprr.jpeg

Lmao I really can't tell if you're joking or not anymore.

- 4000:1 native contrast ratio. kind of poor compared to the top VA panels.
- 700-800ish nits but able to maintain that level of brightness in all windows. 2017s would get dim in small window highlights.
- 60Hz

the other stuff was super technical and related to him calibrating the set. he hasn't actually viewed any content on the set yet.

Thanks

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao I really can't tell if you're joking or not anymore.

Thanks

Lol that's a good point, very similar pics!

That's not a joke though::::::::::::unfortunately for the owner...

This guy went from an E6>ZD9>C7>Q9FN!

He thought the C7 was a much better TV than the ZD9...so why go for the Q9FN!? Madness.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Lol that's a good point, very similar pics!

That's not a joke though::::::::::::unfortunately for the owner...

This guy went from an E6>ZD9>C7>Q9FN!

He thought the C7 was a much better TV than the ZD9...so why go for the Q9FN!? Madness.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I've got a B6 and love it. I need a new tv for my sunroom/game room now though and a OLED won't cut it.

I need a really bright TV with minimal glare, 4K and HDR10/DV. Hoping the new TCL 65" will work.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I've got a B6 and love it. I need a new tv for my sunroom/game room now though and a OLED won't cut it.

I need a really bright TV with minimal glare, 4K and HDR10/DV. Hoping the new TCL 65" will work.

It's probably gonna be your best bet, without having to spend a lot! TCL seems very good for the money.

Is it last year model? Q9FN 2018 got incredible reviews.

This year's, he was talking about visible fluctuations too.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Anybody got impressions of owning both LG oled and Sony x930e? I have 65 inch B7 but I'm getting sick of vertical banding and yellow tint on the right side. I'm considering replacing it but it may not help. It was really distracting in God of war. Should i get 930e?
A pic of the banding:
zldb0WQ

https://imgur.com/Y8sUfzs

Last edited:

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
Anybody got impressions of owning both LG oled and Sony x930e? I have 65 inch B7 but I'm getting sick of vertical banding and yellow tint on the right side. I'm considering replacing it but it may not help. It was really distracting in God of war. Should i get 930e?
A pic of the banding:
zldb0WQ
Sorry it doesn't show an image for me :(

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a OLED 55c7; bundled with my onkyo receiver (tx nr 646 I think?) I don't get 1080p on ps4 when thats hocked up first too receiver then to TV. So No image, and TV states "no Signal".

If I set it to 1080i it works. Wtf?

Same for computer - it won't accept 4k using the hdmi receiver. It forces me to use ARC for audio out and plug it directly into the tv. That way I don't get losless audio anymore.
But if I directly connect it to TV it works flawlessly.

Receiver has HDCP, turned on deep color UHD, and off - tried everything so far.
Why doesn't it work?

Need some guidance what to try next... really want to hook up everything to the receiver.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Just got a OLED 55c7; bundled with my onkyo receiver (tx nr 646 I think?) I don't get 1080p on ps4 when thats hocked up first too receiver then to TV. So No image, and TV states "no Signal".

Same for computer - it won't accept 4k using the hdmi receiver. It forces me to use ARC for audio out and plug it directly into the tv. That way I don't get losless audio anymore.

Why doesn't it work?

Need some guidance what to try next... really want to hook up everything to the receiver.

Is that the correct model for the Onkyo? NR646?

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
After working with and consistently being blown away by the E6 and then the E7 since early last year, I've been eyeing up an LG OLED of my own and fiiiiinally can afford to buy one, so I've ordered a B7 and am going to have to painfully wait until Monday for it to arrive.

I'm curious about HDR video playback - I understand that you could play back PQ10/HLG HDR through a 4K Bluray player/X1X, or sticking an .mp4 with HDR metadata onto a USB stick, or a Chromecast Ultra, but is this possible through a Windows PC? Having an HDR desktop would be nice and all but I'm mainly just curious about how many ways I can playing 4K HDR encoded movie files. I haven't had the opportunity to try it with the E7 at work. Are there also other methods of playback that I'm neglecting?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the new 65 TCL p isn't going to shape out as that impressive when you can get a 17 Vizio m65 for $800 right now with better contrast and roughly the same nits, unless you are very input lag sensitive.

I'm extremely tempted by a b7a for $1200 right now lol.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Looks like Xbox is releasing a dashboard update that has the console send a signal indicating a game is being played and in theory will trigger some tv's to switch to game mode. Anyone know if the LG OLED B7 supports this and if so how do I enable it?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean maybe some of y'all are fighter pilots or something but my x800d is at 35ms and I don't notice any input lag, maybe 15ms would make it percievable but I kind of doubt it. I'm sure it varies person to person how sensitive they are to it.
changing from game mode to not on the X7s which moves from 50ish to mid 20ish is very noticeable imho.

Looks like Xbox is releasing a dashboard update that has the console send a signal indicating a game is being played and in theory will trigger some tv's to switch to game mode. Anyone know if the LG OLED B7 supports this and if so how do I enable it?

LG hasn't announced support for anything like that. That sounds like some of the VRR stuff that Samsung is working on for this year.

E:
Samsung has also introduced a new Auto Game Mode feature. Choosing this delivers two key benefits: automatic switching into its Game picture mode when the TV detects that you're playing a game, and a variable refresh rate feature which Samsung has now confirmed is the same as the 'Freesync' feature Microsoft recently announced is coming to the Xbox One X.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...bounces-back-with-a-vengeance/2/#4315e46b712a

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the LG is terrible.
Id choose the Sony or wait on the new Panasonic models.

It's not terrible, it's just a bit loud. I have it. Those models from the above manufacturers will also most likely be expensive. Not sure if they are expected to do Dolby Vision at launch either, but its available now on the UP970.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why doesn't it work?

Do you have an old or defective HDMI cable in the chain (either device or TV side) that can't carry 1080p or 4K at the lengths you're using?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
It's not terrible, it's just a bit loud. I have it. Those models from the above manufacturers will also most likely be expensive. Not sure if they are expected to do Dolby Vision at launch either, but its available now on the UP970.
I don't have any big issues with my UP970 either. I've never noticed any particularly loud discs, but maybe I just haven't tried any of the problematic ones yet. I was interested in getting the Oppo, but considering I don't have many physical discs, I couldn't justify the $600+ price difference between the two for me.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Sony has a similar price to the LG and supposed to be getting DV this summer. I guess there is one Pansonic out now with DV with more to come?

Question on Atmos. Should all UHD players be able to pass along Atmos sound? Is it just up to the reciever or is it something I have to check for on the player as well?

I don't have any big issues with my UP970 either. I've never noticed any particularly loud discs, but maybe I just haven't tried any of the problematic ones yet. I was interested in getting the Oppo, but considering I don't have many physical discs, I couldn't justify the $600+ price difference between the two for me.

Thanks for additional input.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Question on Atmos. Should all UHD players be able to pass along Atmos sound? Is it just up to the reciever or is it something I have to check for on the player as well?

Reasonably all players should be able to pass the bitstream to a capable AVR. I say reasonably, because I'm not sure if there was like a $50 magnavox or something if it would, but pretty much any decent player will.

E: Just looked out of curiosity and the $79 Magnavox does not support Atmos. Does support "Monkey's Audio" though, so you got that going for you.

The ~$100 LG does support Atmos.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know it's just my anecdotal experience, but I suggest you guys buying Samsung TVs to get them from Best Buy or another brick and mortar store for quick returns/exchanges. Their customer service, repairs, etc. is an absolute joke.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonably all players should be able to pass the bitstream to a capable AVR. I say reasonably, because I'm not sure if there was like a $50 magnavox or something if it would, but pretty much any decent player will.

E: Just looked out of curiosity and the $79 Magnavox does not support Atmos. Does support "Monkey's Audio" though, so you got that going for you.

The ~$100 LG does support Atmos.

I thought so, just saw a couple of mixed messages in the q and a section on amazon.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/25/philips-momentum-43-inch-display-hdr-1000/

Philips' huge 4K monitor is the first with super-bright HDR
With HDR 1000 certification, you get superb brightness and color accuracy.

43" $1,000

This is cool.

I remember the Anandtech article from December talking about the new Vesa HDR standards (here https://www.anandtech.com/show/12144/vesa-announces-displayhdr-spec-and-tiers) and thinking that would be really cool for TVs.

This is the first I've seen of products actually arriving with the certifications and stuff.

The thing that's hard is the focus on peak nits. Some would argue that OLED has one of the best currently available HDR images, but it wouldn't even make it to the 1000 tier based on output. Sounds like VESA is working on adding OLED specific testing to the standard tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.