• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
pnx2Vhn.gif

You planned this, didn't you?
I played you like a damn fiddle.
2aAzGL2.jpg

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
For Samsung TV's, contrast at 95 is correct for SDR. If I understand, contrast adjusts the maximum light output irrespective of the backlight. What happens is that the red, green, and blue subpixels may allow their maximum light output at different points, and so putting contrast at 100 may lead to "color clipping" if one of the subpixel colors cannot output as much light as the others. Then the color of white looks incorrect (its RGB balance becomes incorrect). If you bring up a contrast adjustment pattern (flashing bars of varying brightness), on Samsung TV's I've seen them turn reddish/pinkish as contrast approaches 100. 95 is a good compromise for color clipping and maximum light output.

Even though it may technically be correct to go even lower, I've noticed the image looks flatter if the contrast is brought down too much. For instance, on my KS8000, even though contrast at 86 without a doubt gets rid of "pinkish grays," it comes at the cost of the overall image looking flat/washed out. To get even more technical, Delta E for 100% white is always above 3 on my KS8000 if contrast is at 100, but at 95 it is below 2 out of the box, and can be improved with a white balance calibration to below 1.
Sorry, I should've mentioned I'm on an LG B7. I always kept Samsung on 95, yeah.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the issue is over HDMI content can't you watch it with the built in app?
Then I'd lose surround sound. I've got a hacky solution in place right now to extract a 5.1 signal from the Apple TV and pipe it to my old receiver. Later this month when I have a new receiver I'll just be able to use ARC and the internal apps will work.

You should be able to at least watch it in HDR, provided your device allows that option. Should be almost as good. But I ain't buying 4K Dolby Vision movies to watch them in almost their best setting.
Don't think there's any way for the Apple TV to enable HDR but not DV. Unless I manually switch to HDR before watching DV content, then switch it off afterward. Hm.

First time in a recliner, huh? It's ok, they're not for everyone. Lots of people can't even tell a recliner from a regular chair, but not me. I know right away.
lol, persecution complex much? I'm sorry that my statement about DC not being anything special hurt your feelings.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
was just watching dear white people on netflix and the abl in some scenes was really distracting. been using the default oled light settings 80 and 60 for respective isf modes. what do you have to go down to, to minimize it?

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I just purchased an OLED65C7P. I would have loved to get a higher end version but I got such a good deal on this model I could not refuse. I have hooked it up to my Xbox One X but when I check what it supports on the Xbox most of it doesn't work. The TV doesn't support HDR10 apparently but it is HDR. Does this mean my games won't show in HDR at all then? It also apparently doesn't support 4k 10-bit 24, 50, or 60 hertz. What gives? The tv is advertised as HDR and not the Xbox is telling me my games won't show in HDR at all. Do i really have to change my TV :(

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
was just watching dear white people on netflix and the abl in some scenes was really distracting. been using the default oled light settings 80 and 60 for respective isf modes. what do you have to go down to, to minimize it?

If you are noticing it during regular TV watching then OLED probably isn't for you. I have mine at 40 for SDR material but I don't notice it even with OLED light at 80+ for gaming. I think it is something that some people notice more unfortunately for you.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I just purchased an OLED65C7P. I would have loved to get a higher end version but I got such a good deal on this model I could not refuse. I have hooked it up to my Xbox One X but when I check what it supports on the Xbox most of it doesn't work. The TV doesn't support HDR10 apparently but it is HDR. Does this mean my games won't show in HDR at all then? It also apparently doesn't support 4k 10-bit 24, 50, or 60 hertz. What gives? The tv is advertised as HDR and not the Xbox is telling me my games won't show in HDR at all. Do i really have to change my TV :(

make sure you have ultra hd deep color turned on in your tv settings

Prance

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Bought a E7 55-inch for $1400. After playing with it and testing out multiple 24fps content, the microstuttering is absolutely killing me. I'm coming up from the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT50 plasma TV which I absolutely love. I've babied it for 5 years and have no burn-in problems so I bet I can manage OLED just fine. However, the microstuttering is making it extremely difficult to tell what's happening on the screen. My question is does the black-interpolation on the C8 make this stuttering more bearable? The screen itself looks amazing on the OLED but the motion clarity is a dealbreaker for me. Would a Q9F be more right for me? Or am I going to have to just wait until few more years for the tech to catch up?

stutter-0-ms-vs-40-ms.gif

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Did you turn on HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color in the TV's settings for the HDMI port you're hooking up the Xbox to?

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a E7 55-inch for $1400. After playing with it and testing out multiple 24fps content, the microstuttering is absolutely killing me. I'm coming up from the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT50 plasma TV which I absolutely love. I've babied it for 5 years and have no burn-in problems so I bet I can manage OLED just fine. However, the microstuttering is making it extremely difficult to tell what's happening on the screen. My question is does the black-interpolation on the C8 make this stuttering more bearable? The screen itself looks amazing on the OLED but the motion clarity is a dealbreaker for me. Would a Q9F be more right for me? Or am I going to have to just wait until few more years for the tech to catch up?

Unfortunately the micro stutter you're experiencing is because of the near instantaneous pixel response. The low motion resolution also contributes to your having difficulty seeing whats happening on screen, especially coming from a plasma.

I don't have the C8 yet, but did see it at a showroom. The BFI insertion is honestly only exciting for 60 FPS content (which actually look amazing on OLEDs because of the instant pixels). On 24 FPS content, BFI is unbearable. The flicker man, I still have nightmares.

My recommendation is to try user/custom Trumotion setting for 24p content... set it to Dejudder 2 and Deblur 0. That works really well for my C7.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Gaming C7

So finally have settled on using PC input for SDR content.

Strong daylight - ISF bright with OLED light 100 and gamma 1.9. Brightness 50 and contrast 90.

Dim/normal ambience- ISF dark with OLED light 80 gamma 2.2. Brightness 50 and contrast 95.

Dark/lights off - Technicolour expert with OLED 55 and gamma 2.4. Brightness 50 and contrast 85, colour set to 45 to offset the wide colour gamut (stuck in this mode)

I have tweaked a few other modes for night time viewing and gamma 2.4 (b.1886)- looks great on the C7.

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Hello Era,

I wanted your honest opinion about my next TV. I recently moved to the Philippines (where I believe not all choices are available...) but the good thing is that I have plenty of space now comapred to my old life in Europe. The distance between my sofa and the TV cabinet is about 4 meters (13 feet), so imagine how ridiculous is my current 32" 720p TV. I have therefore moved my small TV to make a "gaming corner" for the switch, Wii U and SNES mini : 720p is ideal for the weak Nintendo consoles.

What would be the ideal option for the main TV in the living room though? I checked on Rtings and even a 65" TV seems too small if I seat at 13 feet. 75" and 85" TVs are awfully expensive in Europe, so I can't even imagine the prices here in Manila. It will be mainly for watching movies, series, sports. I don't think I'll play on the big screen as my current consoles will not accomodate a 4K TV very well, but we never know. I'll hook to the TV an Apple TV 4k for Netflix and the likes. I am even considering a projector, but it means I'd be limited to 1080p (plus the noise, cable management etc...). Never tried HDR so I don't know how valuable it is. One requirement: I'd need a very good scaler because I have lots of sub-1080p content, and I am not sure my internet connection is good enough to accomodate 4k streaming. I heard the high end Sony TVs have a great scaler. I was thinking to throw 2,000 EUR max.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
In slightly TV related news, the Vudu app on the Apple TV now supports 4K.

Oh that's excellent news. Thank you!

Hello Era,

I wanted your honest opinion about my next TV. I recently moved to the Philippines (where I believe not all choices are available...) but the good thing is that I have plenty of space now comapred to my old life in Europe. The distance between my sofa and the TV cabinet is about 4 meters (13 feet), so imagine how ridiculous is my current 32" 720p TV. I have therefore moved my small TV to make a "gaming corner" for the switch, Wii U and SNES mini : 720p is ideal for the weak Nintendo consoles.

What would be the ideal option for the main TV in the living room though? I checked on Rtings and even a 65" TV seems too small if I seat at 13 feet. 75" and 85" TVs are awfully expensive in Europe, so I can't even imagine the prices here in Manila. It will be mainly for watching movies, series, sports. I don't think I'll play on the big screen as my current consoles will not accomodate a 4K TV very well, but we never know. I'll hook to the TV an Apple TV 4k for Netflix and the likes. I am even considering a projector, but it means I'd be limited to 1080p (plus the noise, cable management etc...). Never tried HDR so I don't know how valuable it is. One requirement: I'd need a very good scaler because I have lots of sub-1080p content, and I am not sure my internet connection is good enough to accomodate 4k streaming. I heard the high end Sony TVs have a great scaler. I was thinking to throw 2,000 EUR max.

What are the prices of the X900E, X900F and X930E at 65" and 75" I the Philippines? All Sony by the way.

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
What are the prices of the X900E, X900F and X930E at 65" and 75" I the Philippines? All Sony by the way.

In the shop I visited (supposedly the best one in town), they had only the X90F in 75" for more than 3,800€. Crazy expensive!

I felt in love with the LG C7 in 65". But it cost around 2800€. Not cheap either!

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Once you have seen the OLED ones, it's difficult to go back to the LCD panels. They had a Sony A1, the LG signature and a sharp 8k. Not a bad selection.

But way way above budget.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like your eyes are sensitive to stutter caused by instantaneous response time + sample and hold tech on 24 FPS content. You may be better off with an LCD that has lower response time, which has a side effect of blurring the frames together which hides the stutter inherent in 24 FPS content.

That or use some interpolation - they say the Sony OLED is better for this in that it doesn't introduce as much soap opera effect, but you can try LGs trumotion user settings.

Also, the effect is more noticeable when the luminance of the screen is higher. If you set your OLED to plasma like light levels (say oled light of 30 or even 50), I doubt you'd be bothered as much by it. That stutter was also visible on any plasma (or in the theatre) but the brightness is much less.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
In the shop I visited (supposedly the best one in town), they had only the X90F in 75" for more than 3,800€. Crazy expensive!

I felt in love with the LG C7 in 65". But it cost around 2800€. Not cheap either!

Yeah that's pretty pricey ...what about a 75" 900E? Doesn't have the better processor though :(

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
It's either people not knowing any better and buying into the hype, or the Dolby Cinema in Dallas was lying when they sold me my ticket. I'm inclined to think it's the former.

For the record, I fucking love me some Dolby Vision in my home theater. That's what I was hoping to see in Dolby Cinema. Instead I saw typical cinema projection with grey blacks and standard brightness.

If what you saw, was SW The Last Jedi, grey blacks in space was a cinematographer choice. Scott Wilkinson of AVS FORUM, was surprised, after all the films he saw that exhibited deep blacks in Dolby Cinema.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Does this make 30fps games look awful on an OLED? Especially if say, the game didn't use motion blur to smooth out panning and/or animations?

mehm

Oct 27, 2017
I have the LG W7 and I don't know if Dolby Atmos is working when I watch Blu-rays on my PS4. If I hit the triangle button it always shows Dolby True HD.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I have the LG W7 and I don't know if Dolby Atmos is working when I watch Blu-rays on my PS4. If I hit the triangle button it always shows Dolby True HD.
Is the PS4 connected to the TV or a receiver? I think you have to select bitstream from the menus while playing a BD to pass atmos to the AVR.

mehm

Oct 27, 2017
Is the PS4 connected to the TV or a receiver? I think you have to select bitstream from the menus while playing a BD to pass atmos to the AVR.

I don't have a receiver. The PS4 is connected directly to the TV (or Soundbar as a matter of fact). If I select Bitstream in the Option Menu the sound comes out faulty (just a constant white noise). I must select Linear PCM.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If you won't have an Atmos setup, then it doesn't matter.
EDIT: Atmos requires bitstreaming I believe as well so that metadata is used by the receiver.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw something that has me thinking, playing god of war on on my x900e i noticed the fog in the loading screens and went to check that on my oled c7 and the fog is barely noticeable, and also noticed some extra details missing when playing on my c7, anyone else has notice this? Playing limbo on the oled also looks weird.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I just saw something that has me thinking, playing god of war on on my x900e i noticed the fog in the loading screens and went to check that on my oled c7 and the fog is barely noticeable, and also noticed some extra details missing when playing on my c7, anyone else has notice this? Playing limbo on the oled also looks weird.

Isn't the load screen mostly black?
Are you sure you're not just seeing blooming from local dimming

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just purchased a Sony a1e. Was wondering if I need to break in the tv before gaming?

Upgraded from an LG plasma. Spent 100 hours breaking that in.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the load screen mostly black?
Are you sure you're not just seeing blooming from local dimming
Just read an article on it, seems like OLED sucks at near black detail, that's why the fog is visible on my x900e but almost invisible on my C7, thats sucks, i am more and more disappointed on this tv as time goes on and I'm already over the return window.

Status
Not open for further replies.