• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've tried a couple of HDMI cables that I know are 4K verified (they were packaged with the PS4 and XB1, respectively), but the banding is still present.

I think the problem might be the receiver itself. Not seeing anything in the options that might be interfering with the display.

This is my receiver: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v381_u/downloads.html

Also, PSA for anyone who bought a TV from Best Buy recently: some of the sets have dropped in price as a result of 4th of July, so if your set is cheaper than when you bought it (as long as it's within 30 days), contact BB support for a price adjustment.

I managed to shave about $200 off my C8 today as a result.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the the HDMI 2 port on my 3 day old Sony X900F seems to have stopped working completely, it just shows as having no signal when you connect anything to it. I tried both my PS4 Pro and XB1X on it with no luck. Both machines work fine on all the other ports, including the other high speed 4k/HDR port.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? After a quick look in google, it doesn't seem to be a common problem at all.

I always seem to be the guy that gets that 1 in a million faulty unit :(

I guess I'm gonna wait a few more days, then I'll return/exchange it at Best Buy.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Something very odd is happening with my LG C8 and LG UBK90 player. I rented the 4K UHD Red Sparrow disc and watched it. I got the HDR logo and noticed some very nice highlights, especially on stuff like street lights and the lights in the theater in the ballet scene in the beginning. After finishing the movie I wanted to play around with picture settings to see what the different options did. So I skipped to the the ballet scene in the beginning again and hit play after fast forwarding to what I thought was a good spot. I noticed that the lights were not brighter than the surrounding scene, as if HDR were turned off. They didn't have that HDR glow I noticed just having viewed the movie. I looked at the info for the input and it said it was receiving HDR and Dolby Atmos. Even my wife agreed that it didn't look like it did when we first watched the scene. I say "even my wife" because she isn't into this like I am. So for her to notice the difference it was very noticeable.

So I stop the disc and then restart it. Once again I get the HDR logo and the player asks me if I want to resume playback from my previous spot. I say yes, and guess what, the bright highlights on the lights are back. My wife comments "yeah, now they are super bright again". So I fast forward to another scene and the same issue happens again. The HDR processing seems to have shut off even though the input info still says I am getting an HDR signal. I go back to the ballet scene and the lights are dull again. I stop and restart the disc, but even though I get the HDR logo popping up the highlights are still gone. Like the TV isn't doing anything with the metadata. I finally got it working again by shutting off the blu ray player, switching inputs, then going back and restarting the movie. The highlights were back again.

During all this the TV was always in HDR picture mode. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm using an old HDMI cable that I had with my old PS4. That is what I'm suspecting. But I don't know.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay no, I'm stupid: the reason there wasn't any banding on the other input I tried the device on is because the brightness was 50 instead of 55.

That's regular brightness, not OLED Light. So raising the brightness that high introduces the banding.

I guess the simplest solution is to keep it at 50. I thought it needed a little more since I was using the black level color test from the device's browser.

Edit: I still see a tiny bit of it here and there, although I realize it would have to be under specific total darkness circumstances. It still bothers me, so I wouldn't mind some more assurance it's nothing to be concerned about, and particularly on whether or not it's true that it may fade after some TV mileage.

Last edited:

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
So the the HDMI 2 port on my 3 day old Sony X900F seems to have stopped working completely, it just shows as having no signal when you connect anything to it. I tried both my PS4 Pro and XB1X on it with no luck. Both machines work fine on all the other ports, including the other high speed 4k/HDR port.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? After a quick look in google, it doesn't seem to be a common problem at all.

I always seem to be the guy that gets that 1 in a million faulty unit :(

I guess I'm gonna wait a few more days, then I'll return/exchange it at Best Buy.

I know it's a pain in the ass but try doing a full reset on the TV. I got the 930e last week and when I initially set it up the HDMI 2 port wouldn't work. Tried connecting my PS4 and X1 to it and got nothing. I immediately thought faulty port but found a post on Reddit where someone suggested doing a reset and sure enough that fixed my issue. Hopefully it works for you.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a pain in the ass but try doing a full reset on the TV. I got the 930e last week and when I initially set it up the HDMI 2 port wouldn't work. Tried connecting my PS4 and X1 to it and got nothing. I immediately thought faulty port but found a post on Reddit where someone suggested doing a reset and sure enough that fixed my issue. Hopefully it works for you.

I turned on the TV to try this, and it seems to have fixed itself.

HDMI 2 port didn't work all day and now it magically fixed itself after the TV being off for an hour.

I guess I should thank you cause whatever magic you did worked!

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Is VRR really the holy grail? I've never seen it to be honest but I'm worried that uneven frame pacing will become the new norm.

For me it really is... uneven frame pacing unfortunately seems more tied to the game engine and system performance in the game. VRR won't fix this.

But possibility for higher than 30 fps console games, judder elimination, stutter from frame drops and lower vsync all benefit from VRR.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Okay no, I'm stupid: the reason there wasn't any banding on the other input I tried the device on is because the brightness was 50 instead of 55.

That's regular brightness, not OLED Light. So raising the brightness that high introduces the banding.

I guess the simplest solution is to keep it at 50. I thought it needed a little more since I was using the black level color test from the device's browser.

Edit: I still see a tiny bit of it here and there, although I realize it would have to be under specific total darkness circumstances. It still bothers me, so I wouldn't mind some more assurance it's nothing to be concerned about, and particularly on whether or not it's true that it may fade after some TV mileage.

you're seeing it with regular content? TV's having banding is a normal thing, but it's just how severe it is that may be the problem. If you're seeing it during regular use and it bothers you, then you should maybe look into trading it in, but it's true that it might fade a bit over time.

EDIT: I read your other comment from the previous page. You shouldn't be seeing banding when it's pitch black. When it's black.. the pixels are off so that's why you don't see it in the NES classic borders. So either that Outlast scene isn't really black or something weird is going on.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I don't notice it in ordinary content with my B6, except very occasionally when watching Sky Sports or something with a ticker bar - if you focus on the bar, if the background changes to a bright image, you can see the ticker brightness intensity change. With the Sony, I was seeing it with scene changes in regular content. Unfortunately I couldn't tell if a setting was out of place, but it put me off even considering it.

It's a known issue with the AF8 specifically, and I don't think it's defeatable! That would be the last OLED I'd choose if I was buying now, the FZ Panny's look superb though.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you're seeing it with regular content? TV's having banding is a normal thing, but it's just how severe it is that may be the problem. If you're seeing it during regular use and it bothers you, then you should maybe look into trading it in, but it's true that it might fade a bit over time.

EDIT: I read your other comment from the previous page. You shouldn't be seeing banding when it's pitch black. When it's black.. the pixels are off so that's why you don't see it in the NES classic borders. So either that Outlast scene isn't really black or something weird is going on.

When I had the brightness at 55, it would show up during pitch black scenes (in the case of Outlast it's when your light is turned off).

Setting it down to 51, it doesn't show up in pitch black anymore, but I was able to catch it during near-dark areas. I guess "gray" is the best I could describe it.

That's been the only instance where I've noticed it. Still, perhaps I'll give LG a call anyway just to be safe. If they send someone over and it's all covered by warranty, then no harm no foul. It beats lugging it downstairs and driving it back to Best Buy (they seem to be sold out in all nearby stores anyway).

Or maybe I'm stressing over nothing. That's a high possibility, I do get very stupidly paranoid every time I get a new TV.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
SOLDIER

What you're seeing is above black banding. It is a thing on all the LGD OLED screens. With the prospect of burn in, it's one of the biggest flaw of the technology. It's weird you didn't learn about it before buying the TV.

You shouldn't worry about it if you don't notice it in normal content. I replaced a C7 because of the issue and it was a really bad case, very obvious and distracting.

Otherwise, I think you've got the wrong picture settings or a black level mismatch with your consoles.
Near black banding should be visible when the picture have lot of grays.
If your blacks are greyish, it's an issue with your brightness setting or a black level mismatch between your console and the TV.

Another tip, don't ever do a manual compensation cycle, those are for bad cases of image retention. They will do nothing about your near black banding and you'll start obsessing over it and seeing it where it is not visible.
Let the TV do its automatic compensation cycles and the banding will fade naturally over time.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
When I had the brightness at 55, it would show up during pitch black scenes (in the case of Outlast it's when your light is turned off).

Setting it down to 51, it doesn't show up in pitch black anymore, but I was able to catch it during near-dark areas. I guess "gray" is the best I could describe it.

That's been the only instance where I've noticed it. Still, perhaps I'll give LG a call anyway just to be safe. If they send someone over and it's all covered by warranty, then no harm no foul. It beats lugging it downstairs and driving it back to Best Buy (they seem to be sold out in all nearby stores anyway).

Or maybe I'm stressing over nothing. That's a high possibility, I do get very stupidly paranoid every time I get a new TV.

It's the reason I have brightness at 49, 51 will still amplify it considerably, for SDR anyway.

Last edited:

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Got the X930E and it's a great TV. Coming from a Panny plasma, I was a little worried, but honestly the difference in black levels aren't that noticeable in most scenes, and everything else more than makes up for it. Great upgrade!

A few issues though. I wanted to check out some HDR gaming on PC, but after 30-60 seconds the game is minimized if I'm running exclusive full screen even if I disconnect the other screen. Tried messing with the settings in nvidia control panel, but with both YCbCr422 and RGB I get the issue. Also I couldn't manage to force 10 bit RGB by switching from 422 to RGB. I'm using the ps4 pro hdmi cable so it should be fine. Hopefully just a driver issue.
Second issue is the TV needs to be turned on at all times, otherwise my PC screen will turn off and back on every couple minutes. Tried with the Bravia Sync setting both on and off, but the issue remains.

So kindof a bunk for PC gaming, but PS4 games look amazing, so I'll probably get most big games there this autumn!

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Noticed I can't get Dolby Vision working on the LG B7 with games that support it like Mass Effect and Battlefield 1 - anyone else

Specht

Jan 25, 2018
It's a known issue with the AF8 specifically, and I don't think it's defeatable! That would be the last OLED I'd choose if I was buying now, the FZ Panny's look superb though.

Also the A1E, it has a really hardcore brightness limiter since the Dolby Vision update. The input lag is also pretty high.

I would avoid Sony OLEDs until the A9F is revealed, but then again you can't really trust them. The dimming was introduced to the A1E as a firmware update and the AF8 had it since release.

Theres a thread on AVS Forum with a lot of unhappy owners.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...-general/2969454-sony-a1e-dimming-defect.html

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
I've tried a couple of HDMI cables that I know are 4K verified (they were packaged with the PS4 and XB1, respectively), but the banding is still present.

I think the problem might be the receiver itself. Not seeing anything in the options that might be interfering with the display.

This is my receiver: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v381_u/downloads.html

Also, PSA for anyone who bought a TV from Best Buy recently: some of the sets have dropped in price as a result of 4th of July, so if your set is cheaper than when you bought it (as long as it's within 30 days), contact BB support for a price adjustment.

I managed to shave about $200 off my C8 today as a result.

You have to activate it on the receiver:

Should be the same for yours.

Edit: Otherwise (not sure about your model) you can turn off video processing in the settings. That's about it.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Also the A1E, it has a really hardcore brightness limiter since the Dolby Vision update. The input lag is also pretty high.

I would avoid Sony OLEDs until the A9F is revealed, but then again you can't really trust them. The dimming was introduced to the A1E as a firmware update and the AF8 had it since release.

Theres a thread on AVS Forum with a lot of unhappy owners.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...-general/2969454-sony-a1e-dimming-defect.html

This is the trouble with the era of firmware updates, you can buy a product thinking you're getting XYZ, but anything can be added/taken away, and there's not much you can do about it, I'd be annoyed if I was an A1E owner.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
We seem to have plenty of B7 stock here in the UK. Never been cheaper either.

That's cool. There's a few left here in the US at places like Costco, but even stuff like the 65" is 2300, which is hardly a great deal for being a year old now.

Yeah I definitely waited too long. It's not too big of a deal for me to wait until November though.

Yeah. Maybe see some deals leading up to football season. But there were some super great deals on Black Friday last year.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

Why would you want brightness at 55? The entire point of an OLED is perfect blacks, when you switch the light off in Outlast, the black areas of the screen should look like the TV is off.

Brightness needs to be 51 or below to keep perfect blacks. Any higher and youre raising the black floor. Verticle banding will still always show up on dark gray, and in panning shots, you stop noticing it and it gets less visible as the panel ages. It's just a trade off at this point. You can have the picture quality of an OLED with perfect blacks, infinite contrast and vibrant colors but deal with verticle banding that will be visible occasionally. Or you can have an LED display that gets super bright, has no verticle banding, but may have DSE, visible clouding, halo effect, etc. Even the best local dimming can't keep black bars from flash lighting during HDR in a dark room.

There are no perfect TVs, and if you start chasing that, you'll find yourself down a rabbit hole of purchasing and returning a bunch of TVs in a quest to play the panel lottery.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Saw this on YouTube and thought it looked real nice. I like how it actually shows the colors that you see on the TV screen as well.

https://youtu.be/2-If4SkQrAI

I can't seem to find it at all here though. Are there alternatives for this or should I just hit up my local Ikea and get a few LED strips?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
My 900e has been acting up the last few days. The wi-fi glitches and I have to turn it off, back on, and go into the settings menu to reconnect to my router. Annoying.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Thought I'd just say that I fixed my full RGB/Limited issues! Thank God!

It was my AVR, it somehow turned on content type detection, and I guess it was getting confused, with what it was actually receiving, and thereby clashing with the TV! Unbelievable lol.

Hey, what kind of setting was this? I think I may have a similar issue.

DV and HDR game mode fix up for C6 owners: https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65C6P

I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Finally.
But man, their FW update notes are terrible. This is all it says lol:

"[05.30.30]
1. Improvement to change to Volume 0 while watching TV "

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SOLDIER

What you're seeing is above black banding. It is a thing on all the LGD OLED screens. With the prospect of burn in, it's one of the biggest flaw of the technology. It's weird you didn't learn about it before buying the TV.

You shouldn't worry about it if you don't notice it in normal content. I replaced a C7 because of the issue and it was a really bad case, very obvious and distracting.

Otherwise, I think you've got the wrong picture settings or a black level mismatch with your consoles.
Near black banding should be visible when the picture have lot of grays.
If your blacks are greyish, it's an issue with your brightness setting or a black level mismatch between your console and the TV.

Another tip, don't ever do a manual compensation cycle, those are for bad cases of image retention. They will do nothing about your near black banding and you'll start obsessing over it and seeing it where it is not visible.
Let the TV do its automatic compensation cycles and the banding will fade naturally over time.

Yep, that totally seems to be the case.

The reason I had brightness at 55 is because I would open up a black levels chart like this one using the XB1 and PS4's built-in browsers: http://www.relaxvideo.hu/black.png

The idea is to have every black square visible, right? Hence why I had adjusted it until it was so. After doing this, the banding was visible during black screens (like, for example, when loading between areas in a game).

After I bumped it back down, it was visible during gray moments. Again, the only example I've found so far is Outlast 2, during periods where areas are dark but lit just enough that you don't have to drain the light on your camera. And it once more seems to be during specific fringe cases that, as you said, happens with mostly gray colors being displayed.

So yeah, if anyone's got picture setting suggestions to nail those black levels properly beyond adjusting the brightness (I also have the HDMI black level set to "Low" on both the TV and console), let me know. Now that the initial panic has settled a little, I'll give the set time to see that it goes away as people have said.

On the subject, does anyone also know the best color setting for the Apple TV 4K? RGB Low and RGB High are options, or should I stick with the default YBCR?

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have 100 percent confirmation, but apparently, YCbCr might be bugged, and Apple calls 16-235 "RGB High" while 0-255 is "RGB Low" (because 16 is higher than 0? LOL). So we would set the LG Black Level to Low to match Apple's RGB High (or vice versa).

YCbCr is working fine with my B6 and you are correct, Apple's RGB settings are the opposite of what you would expect, so matching TV Low to ATV RGB High is the way to go. YCbCr was definitely bugged in one of the earlier firmwares though, so that might be where that comes from. tvOS 12 beta is definitely OK though.

SOLDIER - you shouldn't be setting brightness anywhere near 55. You will be destroying the perfect blacks of your OLED.

Edit - reading that link again they report YCbCr is still bugged. Will have to test again here as it looks identical to RGB High.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
YCbCr is working fine with my B6 and you are correct, Apple's RGB settings are the opposite of what you would expect, so matching TV Low to ATV RGB High is the way to go. YCbCr was definitely bugged in one of the earlier firmwares though, so that might be where that comes from. tvOS 12 beta is definitely OK though.

SOLDIER - you shouldn't be setting brightness anywhere near 55. You will be destroying the perfect blacks of your OLED.

Edit - reading that link again they report YCbCr is still bugged. Will have to test again here as it looks identical to RGB High.

Is there a way to open a test window on the Apple TV to make sure my black levels are correct?

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There was an article on Forbes a few weeks ago that claimed that they had info from LG that they plan on changing the B7 Game Mode in a firmware update. Was that bollocks?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Is there a way to open a test window on the Apple TV to make sure my black levels are correct?
I just saved a test photo like the one you linked to to my Apple Photos.
And yeah, ideally you'd want to see all the black squares, but you may not see the first few honestly without a professional calibration.

As long as they're not washed out, or half of them crushed (hdmi mismatch), then you should be good.

Apr 21, 2018
There was an article on Forbes a few weeks ago that claimed that they had info from LG that they plan on changing the B7 Game Mode in a firmware update. Was that bollocks?

be careful, you can't use pictures to calibrate a consumer TV's for video levels (as Blu-Ray/Video content using) because displays/players image viewers are handling JPG's/PNG's or any Picture files @ 0-255 PC Levels.

You have to use proper video with different black levels.

after calibration my B7 settle brightness at 51 for both video content and console games, with this l mainten perfect black with proper shadow detail and banding at minimum.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-expects-you-to-pay-more-for-it/#46dd06b095cb

High dynamic range (HDR) picture technology can transform the TV viewing experience. If you've got a TV able to do it justice, all that extra HDR contrast, brightness and color is just irresistible. In fact, Netflix reckons it's so irresistible that subscribers will be willing to cough up substantially more hard cash to watch it.

It's emerged via CNET that Netflix users are starting to see a new $16.99 (or 16.99 Euro) 'Ultra' subscription tier that essentially hives HDR playback out of the current top level Premium subscription, leaving that Premium tier only supporting 4K as its top quality picture quality option.

WLX3Ei6.gif

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
be careful, you can't use pictures to calibrate a consumer TV's for video levels (as Blu-Ray/Video content using) because displays/players image viewers are handling JPG's/PNG's or any Picture files @ 0-255 PC Levels.

You have to use proper video with different black levels.

after calibration my B7 settle brightness at 51 for both video content and console games, with this l mainten perfect black with proper shadow detail and banding at minimum.
Seems like you misquoted. I didn't talk about calibration. ;)

Can you link the article?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...heres-great-news-for-gamers-too/#248af4c014b4
But I read it wrong. It affects only 6 Series users. God damn it, LG.

Status
Not open for further replies.