• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to read that I should turn on Real Cinema for movies. Maybe I'll try that.
I honestly didn't see a difference other than judder it introduces.
Or maybe because PC is outputting 4K/60hz and media player is doing the conversion it didn't work properly as it's meant for 24hz.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously this is not important at all but I've seen two people with this box for the B7 now. Is that what the B7 comes in in the US? Mine came in a black box with colour pictures and everything on the side. Lol. Just looks a little plain for a relatively premium bit of tech.

So Rise of the Tomb Raider on the One X has been my primary source of content on the OLED recently and it really does look fantastic most of the time, but I have noticed sometimes that certain areas just get a little too dark looking when the HDR is in full force. Most notably there are some sections fairly early on where you're in a Russian base and there is very little lighting inside the buildings but you get this very harsh, cold sunlight pouring in through the windows. The effect is striking but it's also made it quite hard on a couple of occasions to pick out where the enemies are in the damn building because the interiors become so dark.

I did switch from HDR game mode to Standard HDR mode in that building after completing the combat section and the interior was notably less dark and easier to pick things out in. The HDR game mode is a weird one. When I'm playing in it exclusively, I'm very happy with the picture 99% of the time, slightly too dark sections as mentioned above notwithstanding. But if I switch to the standard mode halfway through a session to compare, I'm suddenly quite disappointed in how the HDR game mode looks by comparison.

Make sure you set you ingame brightness and HDR luminance correctly. I'm using HDR game mode on my B7 and don't have a problem with darkness. I think the HDR is over done in that game, the highlights clip badly and can ruin the iq in places because the specular highlights are very jaggy and distracting.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lot of people seem to think though that panel optimization is not that good either esp on OLEDs that look great without anything, I remember Vincent mentioning that as movie purist he likes to turn everything off in any case.

There's a difference between the inherent panel processing of the picture verses controls you have access to.

For example, with the FW update that improved the picture quality of the LG's, that was all done internally meaning you didn't have to fiddle with the controls or anything to take advantage of it.

With game mode, all that internal processing is turned off along with having limited access to calibration controls so you end with a compromised picture for the sake of lower input lag.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between the inherent panel processing of the picture verses controls you have access to.

For example, with the FW update that improved the picture quality of the LG's, that was all done internally meaning you didn't have to fiddle with the controls or anything to take advantage of it.

With game mode, all that internal processing is turned off along with having limited access to calibration controls so you end with a compromised picture for the sake of lower input lag.

Makes sense, I wonder how does this work then with PC Input as you can use all modes in that, but it has 21ms. I'd assume it has those things turned off? Also I haven't seen anyone testing whether or not those improvements are also included in the Game Mode, as there's still some processing there too but I guess it only effects the ones with higher input lag.
Might give the other modes a try on consoles for PC there's not really much of a choice unless you want to lose 4:4:4, on console all I know is that playing Splatoon 2 on Standard I immediately noticed the input latency with motion controls, but games that don't use motion could be fine.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, I wonder how does this work then with PC Input as you can use all modes in that, but it has 21ms. I'd assume it has those things turned off? Also I haven't seen anyone testing whether or not those improvements are also included in the Game Mode, as there's still some processing there too but I guess it only effects the ones with higher input lag.
Might give the other modes a try on consoles for PC there's not really much of a choice unless you want to lose 4:4:4, on console all I know is that playing Splatoon 2 on Standard I immediately noticed the input latency with motion controls, but games that don't use motion could be fine.

Well you can't do 4:4:4 RGB on consoles during 4K HDR due to limited bandwidth. But you can with SDR at least.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Well you can't do 4:4:4 RGB on consoles during 4K HDR due to limited bandwidth. But you can with SDR at least.
Yup, I don't have consoles on PC Input for that reason. I'm not actually sure does Switch for example output 4:4:4 or is it 4:2:2, I think PS4 has option for RGB but other than that I have no clue.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't hooked up my Switch to my OLED but hearing that it looks bad on it is kind of a bummer. Mario Odyssey looked so damn good on my Vizio. Maybe if it does look bad, I'll just play on the Vizio.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch actually does have an option for full range.
Ah you're right. Hm, now this puts me wondering if I should turn that to PC Input too and use it.
Choices of life.

I haven't hooked up my Switch to my OLED but hearing that it looks bad on it is kind of a bummer. Mario Odyssey looked so damn good on my Vizio. Maybe if it does look bad, I'll just play on the Vizio.
Lies, all Switch games I've played so far on 55B7 have looked awesome, kinda hard to even imagine they're 1080p and under.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way it will look worse on The B7 then it does on the Vizio. I think you're worried needlessly.

As for whether or not to use PC input on switch, verdict is still out for me as well. Seeing as we don't have HDR it doesn't really cause any issues to do so. However, we lose access to some additional minor processing options, like dynamic contrast etc. I think I'll probably go with full range though.

Speaking of which, the TV switches to a different profile when going to HDR right? So for SDR gaming I can use 4:4:4 but when it switched to HDR it will go to 4:2:2/0 right? Without me needing to do anything?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, you guys better be right! I need Mario Odyssey to look just as good! :p

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Going from a 50 inch to 65 has been a monumental change in viewing habits. I can actually sit on my couch and not feel like I need to get closer to the tv.

And somehow, I managed to sell my old 50 inch last night. Didn't think there'd be a market for it, but the buyer is a big 3D movie enthusiast and said they're not making 3D tvs anymore.

I can relate. Just started a new job earning a bit more money and have even looking at OLED TVs but I also get a lot of use out of my current TV's passive 3D. So have been eyeing up LG B6s on ebay. I'm hoping they announce at least a few 3D capable TV's in January but not holding my breath

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Hook that shit up! Yeah, you can now really tell it's a 1080p game and the slight aliasing is a little more noticeable, but the game looks phenomenal on that OLED screen regardless.

I though it was 900p?

But anyway yeah Mario can look really good, at times I thought it rivaled my PS4...though I did just get a Pro.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the deal with 4k blu ray players? Are they all the same or are some significantly better than others?

Their prices vary wildly even though their specs can looks similar which is causing me some hesitation in purchasing one.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the deal with 4k blu ray players? Are they all the same or are some significantly better than others?

Their prices vary wildly even though their specs can looks similar which is causing me some hesitation in purchasing one.

Yup, there are differences with quality. Highly suggest checking reviews from various sites and see which ones fit your budget. Sony, Panasonic and Oppo seem to be the brands you should check out.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

UHD Blu-ray players are pretty limited right now. I did a good 3-4 hours of research on what to get, excluding the Oppo because its price is so high, and I ended up settling on the Philips BPD 7502. There are cheaper players out there, but a lot of them have build quality problems or don't support all flavors of HDR.

I'd imagine we'll see a lot more UHD players available after CES next year, so it might be in your best interest to wait.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that people still have to fight ABL. I hated it on my old Samsung E8000 Plasma. Shit would visibly turn off the screen during breaks in credits or black screens before a show would resume. Got rid of it for a Panny ST50 right away.

Just watched the review for the Samsung QLED from Vincent and they added ABL to it even tho their screens don't even need it. At least it can be turned off with some settings. I don't understand why this shit ain't completely optional tbh. They need to stop thinking for the consumer when it comes to those auto brightness crap.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that people still have to fight ABL. I hated it on my old Samsung E8000 Plasma. Shit would visibly turn off the screen during breaks in credits or black screens before a show would resume. Got rid of it for a Panny ST50 right away.
The ABL only lowers brightness when the average picture level exceeds a certain amount of nits (I think it's around 130 on the 2017 OLEDs). It doesn't affect black screens. The ABL on OLEDs is also way less aggressive than it was on plasmas. I could see it all the time on my Kuro, especially during commercials where they like to have all white screens. On the plasma the ABL would make those screens visibly dim, whereas on the OLED I nearly get blinded. On the OLEDs, in my opinion, it is a non-issue and also defeatable if you lower the OLED light to around 130 nits, which is plenty bright in a dim room.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Just out of curiousity, how long does typically take them to refund you the money? They said claim paid for $300 on my LG B7A, but I haven't seen the money subtracted from my statement or credited to me yet.

Well for Chase and discover they send a check in the mail, so that might be why you are still waiting. Usually takes about a week for me

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I did the 5% test on my LG B7 after doing a pixel refresh. It looks kinda sad. Did I lose the panel lottery?

Settings
LG OLEDs

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

5% test video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4Wy7vE8-o&feature=youtu.be

zxgDjvL.jpg

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I did the 5% test on my LG B7 after doing a pixel refresh. It looks kinda sad. Did I lose the panel lottery?

Settings
LG OLEDs

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

5% test video

zxgDjvL.jpg

Mine was cleaner than that but it was about the same minus what you have in the left side. I noticed mine has a minor yellow tint at the left edge from certain angles with a pure white image altho none these issues are noticeable with normal viewing. So if you don't see that shit while watching regular content, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Mine was cleaner than that but it was about the same minus what you have in the left side. I noticed mine has a minor yellow tint at the left edge from certain angles with a pure white image altho none these issues are noticeable with normal viewing. So if you don't see that shit while watching regular content, I wouldn't worry about it.

I need to pay attention to the left side of the screen in content, I know I've seen the vertical band that is about the middle right of the screen on some dark scenes, which is kind of a bummer.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
2017 OLED owners: how high do you keep your OLED light for gaming?

2016 here. But I'm at around 45 standard and 90 for HDR and my room is pretty dark. I do most of my viewing in Game Mode though. Think my friend has his 2017 set at around 35/75 or something if that helps. 2017 panels are a little brighter.

Settings
LG OLEDs

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

5% test video

My first B6 was way worse than that. Did one exchange and think I hit the panel lottery. I guess the question is... Do you actually notice any issues with normal content? I always avoid running any of these tests on new sets unless I'm noticing something is off during normal viewing and think I might want to get an exchange. Otherwise I just become obsessive about non-issues lol It wouldn't hurt to try one replacement. Chances are you'll get a cleaner panel than that if it's bothering you.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
That looks worse than my 2016 c6p. But i don't notice any of it during normal viewing so I got over it. My isn't perfect but good enough. Do you notice it during normal watching?

Define normal. :) I have seen a vertical band in dark scenes (not black).

is that a stuck pixel? the pinkish one on the top of TV?
I think that is my cell phone camera doing some autofocus thing or something, it's not seen in real life.

My first B6 was way worse than that. Did one exchange and think I hit the panel lottery. I guess the question is... Do you actually notice any issues with normal content? I always avoid running any of these tests on new sets unless I'm noticing something is off during normal viewing and think I might want to get an exchange. Otherwise I just become obsessive about non-issues lol It wouldn't hurt to try one replacement. Chances are you'll get a cleaner panel than that if it's bothering you.

Hmm...will need to consider a swap. It's a local dealer so the swap would be relatively painless.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Define normal. :) I have seen a vertical band in dark scenes (not black).

I think that is my cell phone camera doing some autofocus thing or something, it's not seen in real life.

Hmm...will need to consider a swap. It's a local dealer so the swap would be relatively painless.
just keep in mind that is is almost impossible to find a perfect panel, that includes, OLED, LED/IPs, etc.. People that claim to have a perfect panel has not really looked closely. I always find some minor thing if I look close enough (like backlight bleed, etc..).

If that does not bother you during regular content, just forget about it. Those "defects" will get better as the TV "breaks in"

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone with LG OLEDs want more calibration tips (SDR) aside from RTings, I found this video. I really liked his webOS menu video which was how I found him in the first place. This is pretty useful info and he goes a bit more in-depth with the advanced color settings which most of us might not even touch.

Deleted member 23368

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I have a 55" OLED LGB6V. Mind you I have the latest update that dims Game Mode!

People here have around 35 in OLED Light, which is crazy as when I go down to that level shit is DAAARK. I have my cranked to 100 on both SDR Game Mode and HDR Game Mode and Movie Viewing. What I do want though are other peoples settings who have a B6. I will post mine down below and we can discuss which ones are the best settings (the closest to best atleast) for both SDR Game Mode and HDR Game Mode and Movie Viewing.

OLED Light: 100
Contrast : 100 in HDR Game Mode (In SDR And Movie I have it on 78)
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 55
Tint 0
Colour Temperature: W45

Advanced controls

Dynamic Contrast: Low (due to the dimming)
Dynamic Color: Off
Colour Gamut: Normal (This is set to Wide on SDR Game Mode, no way to change it)
Super Resolution: Off

Picture options

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Black level: Low (Limited on PS4 both on SDR and HDR)
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: Off

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Color Gamut is recommended for Auto by pretty much everyone I've watched/read.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not according to this video, where you can see clearly that setting it to other than Normal, you get to saturated colors.

Man, this is the first I've seen with a different opinion. Guess I'll switch it over and see how it looks. Trying to keep up with calibration with these TVs is dizzying.

McCHitman

Nov 22, 2017
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a 4k HDR tv. I'm seeing a lot about the OLED LG C7 and the Sony 900/930.

If budget isn't a concern, what do you mostly recommend as its primary use will be gaming? I do have a PS4 Pro to take advantage of this.

Reading through this makes me nervous. I'm worried about the burn in on the OLED, but if I don't get OLED will I hate myself for not having it seeing how so many people talk it it up?

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a 4k HDR tv. I'm seeing a lot about the OLED LG C7 and the Sony 900/930.

If budget isn't a concern, what do you mostly recommend as its primary use will be gaming? I do have a PS4 Pro to take advantage of this.

Reading through this makes me nervous. I'm worried about the burn in on the OLED, but if I don't get OLED will I hate myself for not having it seeing how so many people talk it it up?

I don't think you have though... please just go back every 5 pages and you'll see this very same question almost verbatim.

But to answer the question. Permanent burn in extremely rare to non existent in OLED. Image retention happens but almost always clears up within 2 to 10 minutes. The Sony X930E is one of the best LED televisions, but it is no OLED. While it does get extremely bright, the OLED will give you much better input lag, gaming response, and perfect blacks. Price being no bar, get the OLED unless size becomes an issue. The X930E and Z9D are some of the best LED televisions you can get. But a B7, C7, E7 and A1E are pretty much generally the best overall 4K televisions you can get and them being OLED is the reason. Inky blacks, great viewing angles, great color accuracy and lag.

Deleted member 23368

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Trying to keep up with calibration with these TVs is dizzying.

I know right? That is why I want peoples settings so we can see how far off we are from each others settings haha.

I always recommend OLED. LED's are good to with their brightness and good input lag, but the C7 I think has around 21 MS which is more than OK. And don't worry about burn-ins. I've had my B6 on almost every day for several gaming hours and I have never gotten a burn-in or IR. I do a picture cleaning every week from the built-in tool in the TV-set. With OLED's you get that sweet sweet crisp image and that sweet sweet true black mmhm.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
He says that in 2017 models, LG should make the normal option more clear by calling it auto and that's what they did. So the video doesn't concern 2017 models.

I'm playing Wind Waker HD right now, and I Longley pondered between wide and auto, and I find the picture way more beautiful with the wide option.
Usually I'm always going for accuracy, but I never played wind Waker HD on another set, so I don't know if what I'm getting is accurate or not.

I need to do further tests, but it's not easy with my busted TV who won't accept any hdmi CEC compatible device...

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, pretty much all reviewers I watched said Auto was the setting to use for the 2017 sets. Not sure if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.