• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
7 series' HDR Game mode has been the same since release iirc (same concept as 2016 sets post-update). You haven't seen a difference after updating because there isn't one :)

This is 110% false.

Pre 03.60.09 HDR game mode was much, MUCH brighter on the 7 range (C7, B7, E7)

Post 03.60.09 it is in line with the 6 series HDR game mode. Please please please do not spout comments you are not sure of because this has been documented basically everywhere in this very thread and on AVSforums.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My 2 cents is to wait and see what CES 2018 brings. It's literally 10-14 days away. $1500 is also a big ask, I'm sure the B7 will be lower around super bowl time. This allows you to see what the 2018 sets will bring, and get at a cheaper price should you decide to buy.

A few things to consider:

- LGD are increasing the number of OLED panels from 1.8 million in 2017 to 2.8 million in 2018. It stands to reason that the 2018 sets will reach $1500 much faster than the 2017 sets. By this time next year, the 2018 sets should retail for $1000-1200.
- 2018 sets will perform better, we won't know by how much until they are released. Perhaps some 2.1 HDMI features make it in as well, who knows?
- What games are you looking to play between now and Super Bowl? If you're not saving any games for the LG, the next big release that will take advantage of HDR is Shadow of the Colossus (feb) and God of War (mar?)
- Your TCL P series is still a great TV
Thank you. I am going to wait to at the very least see what we find out at CES. Also not for nothing that stat for the number of OLED panels is also the type of information I did not know but now that I hear it it also makes complete sense to hold off at least a little while.
Also you make a great point as I have currently played all of the games I would be playing on my TCL, and they do look pretty damn good on it as they are. God Of War would be my next big release, so may as well hold off and see what pricing looks like around the Super Bowl at the very least.
This was the exact type of sound information I was looking for.
Again, sincerely and truly thank you.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I just moved and will be purchasing an OLED this week. I had the 65 inch LG on my cross hairs, but is it still a good model? Is OLED a good choice for gaming and Netflix stuff?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
This is 110% false.

Post 03.60.09 it is in line with the 6 series HDR game mode. Please please please do not spout comments you are not sure of because this has been documented basically everywhere in this very thread and on AVSforums.

Yes this is 100% correct. The 7 series had its firmware updated over the summer that made hdr game mode dim.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys I need some help with the LG C7.

I have no idea how to get HDR working. I just got a PS4 Pro set up and hooked to Input 2, but I never get that HDR notice fixation when I try to play HDR videos or games.

Any help? For the record I can't find an "HDR Gaming" setting, only "Gaming". Thanks!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I just moved and will be purchasing an OLED this week. I had the 65 inch LG on my cross hairs, but is it still a good model? Is OLED a good choice for gaming and Netflix stuff?

Absolutely its a good choice. But similar to the post above you, do you need it now or can you wait for CES and a short amount of time after?

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Hey guys I need some help with the LG C7.

I have no idea how to get HDR working. I just got a PS4 Pro set up and hooked to Input 2, but I never get that HDR notice fixation when I try to play HDR videos or games.

Any help? For the record I can't find an "HDR Gaming" setting, only "Gaming". Thanks!

Did you enable the Deep Color option on the HDMI 2 input on the LG?

Also the HDR picture modes will only become selectable if the LG is getting a HDR signal.

Last edited:

KingCookie5

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,

Hope you all had a good Christmas. I just bought a 65" LG C7 and a sectional to go in my basement. My sectional is about 8.5 feet x 8.5 feet. I've been reading that for a 4K tv you're supposed to sit quite close to it to get the full effect. With this sectional I could be 10' away. Will that diminish what I'm seeing? Will mostly use it for Xbox one X(just got also) and HD cable viewing. Don't have much in 4K to watch yet. Thanks for any help, move into my new house jan 31 and just trying to decide if this sectional is the way to go or not

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
My Plasma TV from 4 years ago still has much better black levels and color than LED TVs from last year. The TV is starting to show signs of burn in so I was considering an upgrade. I'm looking at the 2015 55' 1080p OLED LG monitor from 2015. I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to answer

-Are the black levels on OLED as good as they are with Plasma TVs?
-Will colors pop in the same way?
-Are these TVs know for input lag?
-Are they expected to have a long shelf life?

I'll be using the TV mostly for Switch and PS4, and Netflix but gaming is most important.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is 110% false.

Does LG count up or down with their firmware updates? I'm at 3.60.16

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-Are the black levels on OLED as good as they are with Plasma TVs?

Better.

-Will colors pop in the same way?

More so.

-Are these TVs know for input lag?

I don't know what plasma you have, but LG OLED's input lag is better than most plasmas excepting some of the Panasonic ones in game mode.

-Are they expected to have a long shelf life?

I mean, if you buy an OLED today, there will never be a display that offers a lower black level than what you will get. I'm a plasma fan and that was the line for me, each year's plasmas would have superior black level.

Caveats about OLED coming from plasma:
-motion resolution is inferior.
-near-black uniformity is inferior.

Again, I don't know what plasma you have, but I have a later Panasonic and a voltage-tweaked Pioneer Kuro 9G. My Pioneer has better black levels than any LCD ever made, and my Panasonic has black levels equivalent to the best LCDs. Where these displays look outdated is when you have an HDR version available. My OLED with HDR content looks marvelous and the upgrade seems worthwhile. If you are still consuming mainly SDR content, no LCD on the market will be an upgrade for you, and OLEDs are something akin to a sidegrade.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe slightly off topic but does a TV not function as a HDMI audio device? Here's the thing...

I wanted to see if I can enable Dolby Atmos for my TV sound (plus subwoofer) on my Xbox One X, but it says it needs a HDMI device. Guess I really need a AV receiver for that eh?

Decided to give it a try since Atmos for headphones definitely enhances non Atmos supported headphones for me, was hoping it would enhance my TV sound as well.

I'm also looking at the Samsung MU7000 and MU8000. Anyone have any opinions on these?

From what I've heard so far on several forums man you should not go with any 2017 Samsung sets and instead go for something like the Ks9800.

Mehr

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the current flavour of the month for 27" monitors for less than £200. I only need 1080p as it'll just be used for the PS4, Sky Go and Netflix

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Better.

More so.

I don't know what plasma you have, but LG OLED's input lag is better than most plasmas excepting some of the Panasonic ones in game mode.

I mean, if you buy an OLED today, there will never be a display that offers a lower black level than what you will get. I'm a plasma fan and that was the line for me, each year's plasmas would have superior black level.

Caveats about OLED coming from plasma:
-motion resolution is inferior.
-near-black uniformity is inferior.

Again, I don't know what plasma you have, but I have a later Panasonic and a voltage-tweaked Pioneer Kuro 9G. My Pioneer has better black levels than any LCD ever made, and my Panasonic has black levels equivalent to the best LCDs. Where these displays look outdated is when you have an HDR version available. My OLED with HDR content looks marvelous and the upgrade seems worthwhile. If you are still consuming mainly SDR content, no LCD on the market will be an upgrade for you, and OLEDs are something akin to a sidegrade.
Thanks for the info!

I have a Panasonic TC-P50S60, so it's pretty old now. I don't think I have much content that supports HDR, do the base PS4 and Xbox One support that now? Never bothered to check since they're not connected to an HDR TV.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
If this is correct, why does my HDR game mode look identical to cinema and Technicolor?

i can't answer that but i did extensive research on AVS forum and even asked the pros after i got my B7. The HDR game mode was dimmed in 03.60.xx

mine clearly do not look the same; they are similar if you turned DC on HIGH on game mode.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm thinking unless they announce an OLED 3D TV in January I may buy a refurbished LG OLED55E6V. Just not willing to give up the the 3D right now

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
i can't answer that but i did extensive research on AVS forum and even asked the pros after i got my B7. The HDR game mode was dimmed in 03.60.xx

mine clearly do not look the same; they are similar if you turned DC on HIGH on game mode.

That's the thing I don't understand because when I set DC to high, the screen is not brighter, I'm just losing details around the light source, but the light source is at the same level of brightness.
Same when I switch between game mode and ISF or technicolor. I don't see brighter light source.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info!

I have a Panasonic TC-P50S60, so it's pretty old now. I don't think I have much content that supports HDR, do the base PS4 and Xbox One support that now? Never bothered to check since they're not connected to an HDR TV.

A 2015 1080p OLED is not much of an upgrade over a Panasonic S60 (if any at all), the HDR is a half step implementation. How much are you paying, and from whom (I'm assuming it's used or a floor model at this point)? The 2015's are first-gen panels that had a reputation of poor near black performance, vignetting, and low IRE banding. They also had relatively high input lag IIRC, your S60 should be quite a bit faster if you're using gaming mode, though I'm not sure if they ever received a FW update to improve it. Regardless I think you would need a 2016 or 2017 (or forthcoming 2018) 4K model to see a large improvement over the S60.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
A 2015 1080p OLED is not much of an upgrade over a Panasonic S60 (if any at all), the HDR is a half step implementation. How much are you paying, and from whom (I'm assuming it's used or a floor model at this point)? The 2015's are first-gen panels that had a reputation of poor near black performance, vignetting, and low IRE banding. They also had relatively high input lag IIRC, your S60 should be quite a bit faster if you're using gaming mode, though I'm not sure if they ever received a FW update to improve it. Regardless I think you would need a 2016 or 2017 (or forthcoming 2018) 4K model to see a large improvement over the S60.
Thanks for the response, though it's fairly disappointing to hear. I was going to purchase the TV from an Amazon seller for $1,600. If there is a better 1080p model out there I'd go with that. I haven't really done much research yet as my Panasonic just started showing signs of age. I was also going to look into Samsungs QLED(?) I think it's called.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the response, though it's fairly disappointing to hear. I was going to purchase the TV from an Amazon seller for $1,600. If there is a better 1080p model out there I'd go with that. I haven't really done much research yet as my Panasonic just started showing signs of age. I was also going to look into Samsungs QLED(?) I think it's called.

$1,600? Wtf? And why focused on 1080p? I clearly missed most of this discussion... But for that price why not just go with a 2016+ OLED?

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
$1,600? And why focused on 1080p? I clearly missed most of this discussion... But for that price why not just go with a 2016+ OLED?
I'll mostly be using it for gaming with Switch and PS4, which are both 1080p. Switch in particular looks worse in 4K. If a newer model has amazing upscaling or also is a 1080p screen, I'd get that as well.

Price is flexible, I just said $1,600 since that was the cost of the TV I was looking at. I can go well above (or below of course) if the TV suits my needs.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I'll mostly be using it for gaming with Switch and PS4, which are both 1080p. Switch in particular looks worse in 4K. If a newer model has amazing upscaling or also is a 1080p screen, I'd get that as well.

Price is flexible, I just said $1,600 since that was the cost of the TV I was looking at. I can go well above (or below of course) if the TV suits my needs.

Honestly, the Switch doesn't look THAT bad on my B6. Definitely not terrible enough to go with a 1080p set over a 4k set at this time. I'd suggest just getting a 4k set and maybe look at those mCable HDMI cables. They're like $150, but definitely help smooth out the image on the Switch and other lower resolution sources.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the Switch doesn't look THAT bad on my B6. Definitely not terrible enough to go with a 1080p set over a 4k set at this time. I'd suggest just getting a 4k set and maybe look at those mCable HDMI cables. They're like $150, but definitely help smooth out the image on the Switch and other lower resolution sources.
I have a 2016 4K LED TV and the Switch looked worse on it. It wasn't bad or anything but I was sad that it was a downgrade. The Switch is my primary gaming console so the TV is mainly for that. I will look into the mCables though, thanks.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The main thing holding me back from upgrading my tv (and I was close to buying the X900E) is that I'd have to upgrade my receiver (and cables) as well, plus with my kids being old enough to game we've been gaming a ton on the switch which doesn't really need an upgraded tv at this point.

But the best time to buy TVs is still around the superbowl, right? Maybe I'll bite by then.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey ERA, perhaps you can help me.
I've been looking into buying and HDTV, LED based for now, and a few models by MAG Innovision have been on sale in my area.
My problem is it's been very difficult finding detailed information about the brand online. Even an official website was missing last I checked (yesterday).
Can anyone help?

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Figured out the HDR issue with my C7 + PS4 Pro.

I had to boot the PS4 in safe mode, turn HDCP to 1.4, restart the system, and that got HDR to work on the games (though I couldn't use Netflix or YouTube). Then I switched HDCP back to automatic in Safe Mode and everything worked. No idea why.

I've got someone coming in to calibrate the TV in early February, but I'm still messing around with settings. I'm assuming I should be using Gaming (and HDR Gaming) for, well, playing games, and Standard (and HDR Standard) for watching movies? I don't want anything like TruMotion turned on.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

The only possible reason i can think, why people say there is a difference between HDR game and Cinema modes, is because they are running active HDR on the non game modes.

I've been testing this, and it's the only way to get any game looking brighter than game mode, which stands to reason, as the panel is basically tone mapping on the fly after analysing, whereas on Game it's just using static metadata.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
The only possible reason i can think, why people say there is a difference between HDR game and Cinema modes, is because they are running active HDR on the non game modes.

I've been testing this, and it's the only way to get any game looking brighter than game mode, which stands to reason, as the panel is basically tone mapping on the fly after analysing, whereas on Game it's just using static metadata.

i dunno man, i was just watching hdr tv show and switched between game mode hdr and the others and it's darker. what firmware are you on?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
i dunno man, i was just watching hdr tv show and switched between game mode hdr and the others and it's darker. what firmware are you on?

It's 4.70.30

I've actually been caught out with this a couple of times myself, when I've thought active HDR was not engaged, when it was! And it is quite a large difference, but for me when it's off, all modes are identical.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Just to add to this, at the very beginning of level 2 on COD WW2, game mode is actually brighter than Technicolor active HDR! Just depends on the scene.

When it started I thought "bloody hell that's bright" switched to active HDR using Technicolor, and it dimmed significantly.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is exactly it. The other modes have active hdr (dynamic contrast = low) on by default. If you turn it off, hdr game looks about the same as Technicolor hdr. Note that dynamic contrast = low in game mode doesn't enable active hdr, it's just regular dynamic contrast.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is exactly it. The other modes have active hdr (dynamic contrast = low) on by default. If you turn it off, hdr game looks about the same as Technicolor hdr. Note that dynamic contrast = low in game mode doesn't enable active hdr, it's just regular dynamic contrast.

It makes total sense why there's such varying opinions on this, what I see is anything but dim. This COD stage is absolutely stunning; bright, detailed, so much contrast, unlike BF1 which is as flat as a pancake, which proves HDTVtest's 10k nit tone mapping claim.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Picked up my 55" LG B7 OLED yesterday :D. Haven't set it up yet, painting and re-furnishing the media room before it goes in. Can't wait to give Forza 7 and Gears 4 a go in 4K HDR.

Had a quick look at Gears 4 on a C7 at my brother's place and didn't really see much difference in terms of colours, so not sure he has HDR set up properly. Anyone have a quick HDR setup guide or tips for game mode?

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Holy crap, what has happened to consumer level TVs in the last 4 years? Seems like the only way to purchase a "television" instead of some SaaS privacy invasion device is to buy a commercial LCD display or large PC monitor. Sad times for those into home theatre and gaming.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yea that price is beyond ridiculous, I would suggest buying a PS4 Pro (or Xbone X) and 2017 OLED. Or wait a week til CES and see what they claim the 2018's will be adding, though the new B8 or C8 will probably be at least $1000 more expensive than the current B7A till they start price dropping around Summer or Fall. Optimizing your set up for Switch is a losing game, obviously most titles are either 720p or 900p which looks pretty horrible even on a 1080p set. If you find Switch looks much worse on a 4K OLED, just keep the S60 in another room and hook the Switch up to it there.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yea that price is beyond ridiculous, I would suggest buying a PS4 Pro (or Xbone X) and 2017 OLED. Or wait a week til CES and see what they claim the 2018's will be adding, though the new B8 or C8 will probably be at least $1000 more expensive than the current B7A till they start price dropping around Summer or Fall. Optimizing your set up for Switch is a losing game, obviously most titles are either 720p or 900p which looks pretty horrible even on a 1080p set. If you find Switch looks much worse on a 4K OLED, just keep the S60 in another room and hook the Switch up to it there.
Well the S60 is dying which is the only reason I'm getting a new TV, so hooking the Switch up to it in another room isn't really an option. I didn't know CES was so soon, Perhaps I'll see if they show off any cool upscaling technologies. I'm not in a big rush to get the TV since the S60 still works. It's just getting some slight burn in during gameplay.

Thanks for the help.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the S60 is dying which is the only reason I'm getting a new TV, so hooking the Switch up to it in another room isn't really an option. I didn't know CES was so soon, Perhaps I'll see if they show off any cool upscaling technologies. I'm not in a big rush to get the TV since the S60 still works. It's just getting some slight burn in during gameplay.

Thanks for the help.

Image retention would be a very unusual symptom of a set dying. Any game with a bright or persistent HUD would "burn in" my plasma (quite noticeably), but it would always go away after watching or playing something different for an approximately equal amount of time. I'm honestly astonished you have only recently noticed an issue. Running the screen wipe tool in the menu or looping plasma break in slides can speed up the process if it really bothers you.

Status
Not open for further replies.