1. Nirolak

Nirolak
    Member OP

I know, I know, shocking news given that the CEO of Unity is on their board of directors.

Source: https://telltale.com/jobs/job/obnK6fw8

Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-tools-engineer-san-rafael-california-32617

2. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

CONSPIRACY!

it's a much needed improvement, so that's good

3. Deleted member 14002

Deleted member 14002
    User requested account closure Member

Hopefully the games won't stutter like shit when viewing "Last time on ..."

4. TubaZef

TubaZef

Unity is a good engine, the problem is a lot of bad developers use it because it's so cheap and easy to use.

The people at Telltale should do a good job with it, should be better than their current engine that they've been using for more than 10 years.

5. Anything is better than the shit they use now.

6. MWorldII

MWorldII

Unity doesn't have a good history with consoles.

7. CatAssTrophy

CatAssTrophy

It's a start. Isn't the head of TT really adamant about them using the engine he created? Or am I thinking of a different developer?

8. Nirolak

Nirolak
    Member OP

He stepped down a year or so ago IIRC.

9. litebrite

litebrite
    Banned Member

Depends on the developers.

10. Man God

Man God

So let's go from an unoptimized house engine that runs like crap on consoles to an unoptimized engine that SOMETIMES runs like crap on consoles. Improvement!

11. firehawk12

firehawk12

Only took a decade.

12. Why?

13. etta

etta

So switch from one terrible engine to another?
    Who decides this stuff there, they need a new person doing that.

14. DOBERMAN INC

DOBERMAN INC

My main issue with Telltale was the engine so this is a positive in my eyes, as long as we don't see Playmaker in the credits.(for console atleast)

15. Chittagong

Chittagong

Good. While Unity is pretty pedestrian, I have rarely hated anything as much in gaming as their garbage in-house engine, so literally anything is an improvement and might get me try their games again

16. VillagerMax

VillagerMax

Considering the fact that their current engine didn't have a physics engine until 2016, requiring that they hand animate a book falling off of a shelf, I'd say that this is a welcome change.

17. Hailinel

Hailinel

Because their proprietary engine that they used for years was badly limited in ability, has resulted in numerous technical issues across their games, and is staggeringly inflexible even for the narrative game format TT uses for their games.

18. Yeah, but why Unity?

19. Gaz

Gaz

Because John Riccitiello said so

20. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

because their in-house engine runs like diarrhea

still better than their old engine

21. MegaBeefBowl

MegaBeefBowl

Is Unity still a flaming nightmare for consoles?

22. HockeyGuy412

HockeyGuy412
    Banned Member

I don't see being a good thing for consoles

23. MrCunningham

MrCunningham

At least there are some decent facial animation software plug-ins available for Unity. This is one aspect of Telltale's games that always fell short for me. Especially given how their games revolve around cinematic's and telling stories.

Unity makes sense given that it is cross platform (maybe we will see some Linux ports now?) and supports a wide variety of platforms.

24. Manu

Manu

Anyone who's played Life is Strange: Before the Storm knows this is a good idea.

25. FaceHugger

FaceHugger

It will be interesting seeing how it plays out on consoles. Their current engine definitely has problems, often jarring me out of the experience for a moment.

26. Cirerus

Cirerus

Unity is a great engine. I hope this decision turns out to be a good change for everyone, gamers and developers

27. janusff

janusff

28. JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

29. Katori

Katori

This is awesome, I bet the programmers and developers there have been itching for this.

How is its performance, particularly on consoles? The first one was extremely unoptimized on PS4.

30. Manu

Manu

First one was UE3, Before the Storm moved to Unity and run just fine.

31. MrH

MrH

Every Unity game I've played has had performance issues so I'm not exactly jumping for joy here, I love TGG but I don't see the point of moving from one shit engine to another shit one.

32. Unity is also a great choice for them because it supports pretty much every platform right out of the box.

33. andymoogle

andymoogle

It's Unity, so there will definitely be stuttering. Especially on consoles.

34. KennyL

KennyL

Plenty of suboptimal unreal engine consoles games. It's matter of resources and I can't even blame smaller devs.

35. Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Unity? I guess that makes sense since it’s already well suited for multiplatforms out of the box.

36. Orayn

Orayn

Unity gets a bad rap but it can't possibly be worse than what they've been using.

37. delete12345

delete12345

If the majority are criticizing Unity for its performance hits on consoles games, why nothing happens to Unity? As in, you know, backlashes, official public PRs addressing the performance issues, etc.?

I am guessing the "majority" is actually the "vocal minority". And because of this, game developers moving / transitioning over to Unity is "no big deal". If it works, it works. If it makes developers' lives easier, then why not? If the issues are just "1% to 5% slowdown" for the 100% guarantee rate being about to ship the product out, why not?

38. thank god, Unity is a great pick for the scale of game they normally make

39. Foltzie

Foltzie

People who don’t under
    People who don’t understand tools comment in then anyway. News at 11.

Follow that video, Unity should consider updatin it’s logo to make it clear it’s the free version to help better set expectations. It’s uniquity is driving the quality perception among the some gamers.

It’s weird I don’t recall Havok getting that reputation despite being in Almost all Wii shovelware.

40. GoldenKings

GoldenKings

Wow I had no idea they switched to Unity from Unreal. It looks pretty identical to the first game.

41. see5harp

see5harp

This right here. Unity seems to be the best option if they want to continue to release for every platform out.

42. CatAssTrophy

CatAssTrophy

Insert gif of toddler swaying with hand in the air at a church here.***

43. FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM
    #Skate4 Moderator

nah, ever since 5.0 came out issues became less recurring and performance has constantly improved ever since

44. MrCunningham

MrCunningham

Neill Blomkamp's team at Oats Studio's actually did a pretty good job showing off the cinematic possibilities of the latest beta build's of the Unity (5.x) engine:

I think it shows a lot of potential for Telltale Games. I would rather see them use this in future titles than their busted old proprietary engine.

45. apeAsnake

apeAsnake

Latest versions of Unity improved alot especially now with consoles so this is good

If the game still performs badly then you can blame the developers

46. Cats

Cats

Unity is fine now. It's time to drop the idea that it's a terrible engine. Is it the most efficient engine ever? Absolutely not, but it's a competent solution for the types of games they will be making.

47. GrayFoxPL

GrayFoxPL

Is there a Unity list of PS4 games?

48. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

Since TWDS3 with their updated engine, it's pretty fine tho And I'm playing Batman S2 and it's much better than before so yeah, it got better with the update.

49. koutoru

koutoru

Life is Strange: Before the Storm uses Unity and it runs as well as the first game did (which used UE3).

Unity is a perfectly fine engine to use for this sort of game.

50. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm

Cup Head ran great. I am excited for this