• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I made a post going over the 2018.1 improvements for Unity for those who have not been keeping up to date on the state of the Unity engine

LINK

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Man, Unity is such a bad engine with no redeeming features. All games made with it run like and are shit.

Just look at Cuphead, Ori, Hollow Knight, Inside, Night in the Woods, Snipperclips, Superhot, Overcooked, Hearthstone, Dream Daddy, Kerbal Space Program...

This is a welcome change given Telltale's habit of releasing all of their games for every system as quickly as possible. I'm sure technical issues will continue given most designer's bad Unity habits, but at least it's with a more familiar engine which should at least make trouble shooting easier. Hopefully this should help with Telltale's fast episode turn-around. Telltale still needs more dedicated programmers but this is still a welcome change. Fuck the Unity haters.

Last edited:

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who's played Life is Strange: Before the Storm knows this is a good idea.
Thank you. Unity gets so much shit based on the amount of shit it's name is attached to, but in the hands of actual developers and not asset flippers, it can be good.

The only question would be the console optimization and given Telltales desire to have their games on literally every platform known to man, that could be concerning for them. But of course, remains to be seen.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Last edited:

Yeah, but why Unity?
I honestly fail to see how much contribution either your first post or your second post are. In a forum where people appreciate elaborate responses, its difficult to appreciate those that resemble nothing more but oneliners.

Evidently, the answer should be obvious if you care about the Telltale games. Noticed how they are on pretty much every platform ever? For all the shit the Telltale Tool gets (rightfully so), it is quite amazing how many platforms it supported. Plus, mobile platforms seemed to have less issues than PC or something like that. So yeah, not the best engine, but you gotta admire its multi-platform approaches.

It's Unity, so there will definitely be stuttering. Especially on consoles.
Unity 4 and below were likely the culprits to this train of thought that ''Its Unity, so it will stutter''. Starting from Unity 5, the engine has matured significantly, to the point where having this argument is kinda nonsensical. Its better applied to the Telltale Tool, or to Bethsofts, Creation Engine when it comes to ''buggy'' engines.

If the majority are criticizing Unity for its performance hits on consoles games, why nothing happens to Unity? As in, you know, backlashes, official public PRs addressing the performance issues, etc.?

I am guessing the "majority" is actually the "vocal minority". And because of this, game developers moving / transitioning over to Unity is "no big deal". If it works, it works. If it makes developers' lives easier, then why not? If the issues are just "1% to 5% slowdown" for the 100% guarantee rate being about to ship the product out, why not?
People have this idea in their head that Unity never grew out of its shell. Granted, till Unity 4, the engine had a terrible garbage collector, but it got massively improved with 5 onwards. If people still claim that ''Unity sucks'', then likely they aren't interested in the engine in the first place.

Which is a shame. Book of the Dead and the Adam movies showcase how far the engine has gone since the Unity 3/4 days.

So it will still suck on consoles.
Instead of making a quick drive-by, Anything meaningful to add? Or is this the level of conversation we have to engage ourselves in?

What the fuck are you on about? It's not like Unity games haven't been plagued with stuttering issues for years.
They have, till Unity 5. So anyone continuing this narrative that Unity sucks likely bases that opinion on the older versions of the engine. Unity today isnt the Unity of back then.

What's up with these ''I quote because i agree'' posts and then add a dot in your own post? Not exactly meaningful.

Now we're talking. Telltale's old engine was fucking horrible. Can't wait to see The Wolf Among Us 2, Batman Season 3 with Unity.
Well, it was versatile atleast in the sense that it supported every platform under the sun.

But an upgrade to Unity is a good one. Its cheap, it also supports more platforms than UE4, has a lot more compatibility with older hardware, so, good choice.

Why do they need this tho? Unless they plan to keep releasing games for 360, PS3 and Wii U.
Unironically, that's not a wild impossibilty. Telltale titles have been on X360 as recent as 2016 i believe. Not saying that Unity games by Telltale will target those platforms, but some platforms have some crossovers with others, and i reckon that it comes in handy for Telltale to have these older frameworks around that they could easily adapt themselves to. Say, New 3DS and Wii. Both their GPU's have some crossover tech, so you can use Unity to have that legacy code be kept in intact.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I agree - but having some sort of thumbs up button functionality in the forum would solve this.

I'm not responsible for those kinds of decisions, but as a poster myself I think it's a poor idea. It would negatively influence posting behavior and encourage people to dogpile. Back on topic though, please.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even if they don't optimise for unity, i think it'll run a lot better than their current janky engine. Like seriously, I've yet to play a TT game that didn't feel like it was falling apart every time a transition was happening.

Also, unity being such a flexable engine means we might see a lot more innovative things done by future TT games. The old engine didn't even have physics IIRC. While Unity will allow then to possibly have new gameplay modes and just experiement a bit more.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I don't see this as anything but a good thing. Unity has been successfully used in a wide variety of genres. RPGs, adventure, platformer, puzzle, racing, shooter, etc. It can easily handle a cinematic adventure game, as Beyond the Storm proved.

People still make the mistake of blaming Unity for the shortcomings of developers. It's the developer's responsibility to optimize the game. If a Unity game runs poorly, there's a 99.9% chance that it's the developer's fault, not the engine's.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If the majority are criticizing Unity for its performance hits on consoles games, why nothing happens to Unity? As in, you know, backlashes, official public PRs addressing the performance issues, etc.?

I am guessing the "majority" is actually the "vocal minority". And because of this, game developers moving / transitioning over to Unity is "no big deal". If it works, it works. If it makes developers' lives easier, then why not? If the issues are just "1% to 5% slowdown" for the 100% guarantee rate being about to ship the product out, why not?
People have this idea in their head that Unity never grew out of its shell. Granted, till Unity 4, the engine had a terrible garbage collector, but it got massively improved with 5 onwards. If people still claim that ''Unity sucks'', then likely they aren't interested in the engine in the first place.

Which is a shame. Book of the Dead and the Adam movies showcase how far the engine has gone since the Unity 3/4 days.

I would like to retract my statement. Apparently, at that time of posting that post you quoted, I was unaware Unity 2018.1 beta has been released.

Now, after reading about Unity 2018 and its focus on performance for everything related to the Unity3D engine, I can finally say, this year will be awesome.

Hopefully, Unity can actually turn out for good when it comes to improving the overall performances on console hardware.

I agree - but having some sort of thumbs up button functionality in the forum would solve this.
That introduces the Reputation points, something that the default Xenforo Forums software supports. I think it was turned off because it can be abused back and forth between moderators and privileged members, and that's not a good thing when the whole forum facilitates equal discussion among peers and professionals.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People still make the mistake of blaming Unity for the shortcomings of developers. It's the developer's responsibility to optimize the game. If a Unity game runs poorly, there's a 99.9% chance that it's the developer's fault, not the engine's.
It can be difficult to fix performance issues when you don't have source code access. CryEngine and Unreal 4 don't have this problem because the source is freely available on Github. With Unity, you have to negotiate an undisclosed sum for source code access.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Telltale couldnt get their current engine to work well after 10+ years... why do people think that switching to a new engine will make TT a good dev all of a sudden? Lol.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
just started ep5 in the batman telltale game. WTF is this choppy piece of crap? So much stuttering.

I dont know if this is good news or not because Unity has been pretty bad with some games.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
just started ep5 in the batman telltale game. WTF is this choppy piece of crap? So much stuttering.

I dont know if this is good news or not because Unity has been pretty bad with some games.

Unity is not responsible for performance, the developers are. So as long as they are not completely incompetent, future games should run much better.

Oh, please don't. All that will do is introduce more incentive to dogpile. What if you are going to write a long rant against the moderation or a poster, completely off topic, yet it gets 60+ likes because its ''telling it like it is'' and ''telling the truth''.

Do we really want that? Instead of treating the staff as fellow users like they are, we have to have an ''us versus them'' mentality going on? Because that's what a thumbs up button would do. You will also get people thumbing up every post regardless of content, especially when its post that steer towards a specific direction - A great tool for shitposters and trolls, i would say.
Hence why the other side has this in place and you see the aforementioned behavior already taking place. Fluffy social media things like thumbs ups, +1's, and what not should not belong to a forum imo where opinions are so diverse as ERA.

I would like to retract my statement. Apparently, at that time of posting that post you quoted, I was unaware Unity 2018.1 beta has been released.

Now, after reading about Unity 2018 and its focus on performance for everything related to the Unity3D engine, I can finally say, this year will be awesome.
Ever since Unity 5 the performance is up instead of down, so i think its good to lay the ''Unity sucks'' meme be put down. (Not that you were using it, mind you). Unity is ever etching closer to AAA quality visuals and general good performance. The fact it will have a seperate movie module makes it interesting for CGI commercials like UE4 is used for now.

Agreed, as would a 'please' or 'thank you' when mods are asking someone not to do something.
Or just don't make dumb dot posts if you have nothing worthwile to contribute? Also, meta-complaining about the staff is best reserved to a PM to the staff and not publically here.
(I know why you are doing it, though.)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Telltale will be able to do a good job transitioning to Unity, and hopefully this will give them the opportunity to build their tools so that they natively support non-16:9 aspect ratios. The type of game they make really benefits from wider aspect ratio support.

I'm always hesitant when I see companies using Unity, but Deck Nine did a good job with Life Is Strange: Before the Storm last year, so hopefully that will also be true for Telltale's games.
Telltale themselves seem to have done a good job improving their engine recently. On PC at least, Batman: The Enemy Within has been running completely smoothly for me, even across scene transitions.
Then again, the issues have always been minor on PC compared to the console versions. I don't know how it's running on the PS4/XB1.
Never had a problem with it on PC
Last time I recall having major issues with a unity game was around 2012-2013. The last 15-20 Unity games I played had no problems.
Firewatch has serious performance issues on PC. The game can be running at 100+ FPS and drop below 45 FPS if you turn the view 90°. Doesn't matter how low you turn down the resolution or other graphic options. The GPU is sitting there half-idle.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Speaking of that can't think of a single Unity 60fps game on console that's not 2D

To be fair, the list of 60 FPS games on consoles is pretty small. It's not exactly standard regardless of engine.

But... I think there are some 3D Unity games on consoles that run at 60 FPS:

SUPER HOT
Assault Android Cactus
Super Lucky's Tale
INSIDE

Firewatch has serious performance issues on PC. The game can be running at 100+ FPS and drop below 45 FPS if you turn the view 90°. Doesn't matter how low you turn down the resolution or other graphic options. The GPU is sitting there half-idle.

Odd, I don't recall having any performance issues when I played it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Odd, I don't recall having any performance issues when I played it.
Here's a quick example from the lookout tower at the start of the game:
firewatch-low-utiliza93qq9.jpg

Framerate has dropped below 50 FPS while my GPU is sitting half-idle.
If you're not too sensitive to framerate I can see that someone might not notice it dropping from 60 to 45~50 FPS, but you really notice when it's 100 FPS+ looking in one direction and drops below 50 when you turn to look the other way.