guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I don't even watch 90% of these movies or read comics. I do not give a shit about the source material or the author.

But what's more funny, and even more sad, is that people feel the need to dissect and dig out political messages from pieces of fiction, and then character judge the author and receptive audience based on the themes presented, again, in fictional material. A simple thought experiment about any other author + media combination would show how illogical and lazy these conclusions are. This is not even to say that the author isn't a racist, fascist or whatever else "ist". But they wouldn't and shouldn't be considered so for their work unless it's made overtly clear. And this movie barely even has a theme, it's just "badass people fight invading army while outnumbered". There's nothing else to read into this, especially not "Evil dark skinned, disabled, LGBTQ monsters from the East get wrecked by unrealistically muscular white men". This could literally be a line from an onion article.

Pick you battles, people. Some of you don't even realize what you're doing is exemplifying the PC culture that the alt-right loves to hate and literally making their agenda more palatable to average people. Yeah, I know half the forum would roll their eyes at this tired statement, but I swear, you see too many of these articles and the next thing you know you're nodding along to a "celebrities who hate PC culture" youtube video, and it's off to the races. It's too easy for them at this point. Pick your battles.
A desperate appeal for ignorance. Begging people not to think about the media they consume is anti-intellectual garbage and a recipe for disaster.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda ironic it's Snyder fans, the same ones who tell themselves they're smarter than everyone else for appreciating the "deep" layers of his other works, who are arguing not to think about this too hard.
It's a straight adaption of the graphic novel, but sure, obviously it's black and white; no middle ground involved. Enjoy your movie tribalism.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
It's a heroic story that stands out in history because of the peculiarity of the Spartans and the impossible odds they fought against. I think it's natural and inevitable that unsavoury types draw parallels between then and now in their worship of the history. For them its easy to connect the dots in a story of "culturally, morally and physically superior westerners holding back hordes of barbaric foreigners intent on destroying their civilization".

But just because fascists and so on admire the story of Leonidas and the 300 for the wrong reasons, doesn't mean the rest of us can't. The film itself was dumb, but stylish and entertaining. I don't think it was really racist

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Wasn't Xerxes also a crazed fascist tyrant in the movie, though? It depicted two utterly ridiculous ancient forces, one a doomed militarist state and one with a God-King.

I never really caught on to the right-wing undertones because I saw it so long ago, so the rest of this article and understanding how modern neonazi groups have adopted the ever living fuck out of it is very interesting.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a straight adaption of the graphic novel, but sure, obviously it's black and white; no middle ground involved. Enjoy your movie tribalism.
Instead of this knee jerk response that has zero to do with what I said, try thinking about what I actually wrote. Don't let you're insecurity of being a Snyder fan dictate all your responses. No one is saying its wrong to enjoy his work, just fucking use your brain

Like holy fuck, being meticulously based on a graphic novel doesn't excuse it from being problematic at its core. Being problematic also doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's a modernish 80s style exploitation film. As such I loved it when I first saw it in theaters. What eventually turned me off it was the different reception. For other exploitation films people acknowledge the camp, cheese, and over the top sex and violence. This one, people really latched onto the idea of this film as some kind of role model. In the military many people talk about the historical 300 as motivation and some of these even pointed to this cheese retelling. That's what was off putting to me. The movie/comic paints a very strong dichotomy. There are only courageous warrior fighters who never negotiate or cowardly traitorous rapist negotiators. That's fine as an exploitation film, but when that's your world view.... yeesh.

I feel snyder as a director is separate from this film's message and reception. He made an amazing recreation of the comic. His version of watchmen cant be topped for me. My only beefs with Snyder is his writing and over use of snydervision (fast action slide in and out of slow motion. That does get a bit old pretty quick)

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread read like people who are completely unaware that criticism of fiction through a political lense is a thing. A very very old thing.

How are some of you so shocked and appalled that someone would DARE analyze the themes of a movie and how they relate with the real world?

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of this knee jerk response that has zero to do with what I said, try thinking about what I actually wrote. Don't let you're insecurity of being a Snyder fan dictate all your responses. No one is saying its wrong to enjoy his work, just fucking use your brain
That fiction is open to more than one interpretation?

Thanks for the insightful comment.

Troll.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ohhh come on.. you can twist everythign to fit your propaganda or you view - 300 is a movie based of a comic book that is very loosely based on a historical event.. people were defending their live, families, homes, countries for centuries because of they fear of the unknow, foreign invaders and because in their eyes they were the better people, the better part of the world population - if you make a movie about any of these events, your movie can probably in every instance be called by someone as racims or far-right propaganda, even more so when it's about European countries defending themselves against Arab or Mongol invasions

I don't know if the true purpose of the comic was what people are now complaining about, but I never get the feeling atleast from the movie that it was racist or something, it was just a story how people were defending their lives and homes.. that's it

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread read like people who are completely unaware that criticism of fiction through a political lense is a thing. A very very old thing.

How are some of you so shocked and appalled that somewhere would DARE analyze the themes of a movie and how they relate with the real world?

It's wild to me how often this still comes up. I keep thinking that maybe over the past six or so years video game forum posters would have grown up a bit in this respect (even if that just means not caring about thinkpieces) but I still see so many people jumping straight into deep defensiveness.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A desperate appeal for ignorance. Begging people not to think about the media they consume is anti-intellectual garbage and a recipe for disaster.

More like a desperate appeal for rationality and wisdom.

There's a huge difference between dissecting 300 for political themes and something like, say, Atlas Shrugged. Go after the stuff that actually has an overt agenda, not this desperate connect the dots nonsense.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Ohhh come on.. you can twist everythign to fit your propaganda or you view - 300 is a movie based of a comic book that is very loosely based on a historical event.. people were defending their live, families, homes, countries for centuries because of they fear of the unknow, foreign invaders and because in their eyes they were the better people, the better part of the world population - if you make a movie about any of these events, your movie can probably in every instance be called by someone as racims or far-right propaganda, even more so when it's about European countries defending themselves against Arab or Mongol invasions
Eh, the Persians in the film are portrayed as ACTUAL perverse monstrosoties. I think to say that it's reaching to call it racist is pretty laughable.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's a huge difference between dissecting 300 for political themes and something like, say, Atlas Shrugged. Go after the stuff that actually has an overt agenda, not this desperate connect the dots nonsense.
Your inability or unwillingness to examine a work's themes and underlying message doesn't mean they don't exist. An author not intending certain massages in their work also does not shield their work from unintended messages.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This as got to be one of the stupidest articles I've ever read.

There's a lot to be said about Miller's political views, but the idea that a comicbook that celebrates Sparta's defense against the Persian invasion being a white supremacist piece is kind of ludicrous.

History has context. The Middle-East wasn't always the underdog. The Persian invasion featured a massive empire which employed genocidal methods with colonialist goals vs a proto-european country. Not everything is about American politics.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to stir up shit by painting a picture that anyone who enjoys this film or any of his works treats it as some sort of misunderstood work of fiction. Read your own post for Christ's sake. Nobody mentioned Snyder fans before you did.
I brought up Snyder fans because they're the ones arguing this is "just a movie" while being known to claim there is deep subtext in his other work. Your reading comprehension really sucks.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017

How are some of you so shocked and appalled that somewhere would DARE analyze the themes of a movie and how they relate with the real world?

There's nothing wrong with analyzing it through a political lens. It just happens that I disagree with the conclusions of this analysis.

Some of the stuff in this article is just so eye-roll inducing:

one of the ugliest, meanest, most morally irresponsible films of the last decade. It is an overblown assault on decency, encouraging exclusion and hate, and openly celebrating fascism and oversimplification

There's accusations of sexism, ableism, fascism, homophobia, xenophobia, toxic masculinity and so on in this article and all seems rather that the author really has an itchy trigger finger for these accusations yet they're really clutching for examples. "Leonidas wouldn't let Ephialtes fight in the Phalanx because he couldn't raise his shield to protect his comrades, what a morally irresponsible, hate filled movie!"

People are free to analyze a movie in this way but they're not owed anything, I'm not obligated to agree with them or think they did a good job or that the article was interesting.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it back when it first came out, but it just kinda got old after a while. Thinking back, I can definitely see the political messages of the movie and heavily disagree with them. There's also the fact that it's based on a comic book by Frank Miller, who's kinda a nutjob.

None of this is Snyder's fault though. I feel bad that people may attribute this to him. The only thing he did was try to recreate the comic as accurately as possible.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, this should be required viewing in this thread before anyone talks any more history

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

How are some of you so shocked and appalled that someone would DARE analyze the themes of a movie and how they relate with the real world?

There is a degree of hyperbole in this analysis that invites derision. "most morally irresponsible", "assault on decency", "most divisive film imaginable". This is ascribing a tremendous amount of cultural power to a movie that no one took seriously, because it was a dumb film about muscle men fighting in their underwear.

I don't disagree that the negative themes exist in the movie, and I could accept an argument that in aggregate, seeing such themes repeated across many movies could have a societal effect. But it is hard to swallow if we are discussing this specific movie in isolation.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a degree of hyperbole in this analysis that invites derision. "most morally irresponsible", "assault on decency", "most divisive film imaginable". This is ascribing a tremendous amount of cultural power to a movie that no one took seriously, because it was a dumb film about muscle men fighting in their underwear.

I don't disagree that the negative themes exist in the movie, and I could accept an argument that in aggregate, seeing such themes repeated across many movies could have a societal effect. But it is hard to swallow if we are discussing this specific movie in isolation.
The criticisms about hyperbole are apt, but I don't think you need to talk about its impact on film as a whole in order to criticize the film for being co-opted by the alt-right and white nationalists, even if what led to that co-opting was unintentional by the filmmakers.

I agree though that the article itself left a lot to be desired.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I brought up Snyder fans because they're the ones arguing this is "just a movie" while being known to claim there is deep subtext in his other work. Your reading comprehension really sucks.
How do you even know everyone who thinks like that are fans? Maybe they think it's just a movie AND it's bad. I know. Outrageous.

So kindly piss off with your trolling.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

The movie was criticized at the time of release for its portrayal of the Persians. This line of critique is nothing new. What you describe as hyperbole to me reads like the natural evolution in the discussion of a film that was considered problematic when it came out.

I mean come on people, there's an entire section of the film's Wikipedia article dedicated to the controversy it stoked at the time of release. Why are some of you acting like this is new?

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
300 is a fun movie. Looking back at it, it's probably not the best depiction of Persians, even though that villian design was really cool. But it's a heavily stylized movie so it didn't really seem that offensive.

Something like American Sniper seems more like alt-right trash, than 300.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it something to do with a Greek state that had been conquered by Persia fifty or so years beforehand being supported by Athens in their efforts to boot out their Persian conquerers, so Darius decided to invade Athens as punishment?

Then after his armies lost to Athens, he planned to conquer all of the Greek states but died before he could carry it out. Instead Xerxes, his son, took it upon himself to finish what his dad started. Which didn't work, either.

Darius the "Great" sounds like a bit of a dick if you ask me. He killed the legitimate ruler of Persia and usurped the throne, then decides to invade Athens because they dared aid another Greek state evict their landlords? Then because that failed horribly he decided to go to war against the whole of Greece?

I don't really care about the political message behind the movie, it's just a silly action movie that's perhaps a little too faithful to the comic it's adapting, but I'd be very surprised if it's even possible to paint the Persians as the good guys in this specific conflict.
That's not entirely accurate. The Persian Greek states that rebelled did so because one of the Persian appointed Greek rulers (with help from a few others) fucked up in his attempts to conquer another state. Realising his ass was going to get kicked in for how disastrous the whole thing ended up being, he decides to revolt against the Persians. The Persians go to put down the revolt and the Athenians (and others) decide to support the rebellion. The revolt (Ionian Revolt) in Asia Minor had dick all to do with Greek city states wanting independence from Persia because Persia conquered them.

Darius himself might be a dick and all. But his grievances towards Athens for providing troops and material support to help Aristagoras in burning down cities such as Sardis and in his revolt in general, are legitimate grievances to hold. Darius' assessment that the Persian empire's Anatolian holdings were never safe due to interference from Athens and other Greek states is not an incorrect assessment.

The whole thing is a lot messier then one side truly being the bad guys and the other side being the good guys.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

No there is not. One cannot just go "please criticize this, but not this". It all has content, themes and messages. Good movies, bad movies, high budget, low budget, movies, books, videogames, etc. it all has things to say, and we should look into if the things they say are worth it.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snyder fans tend to lean more right from what I've personally seen. Wouldn't know if it is widespread tho. In this case we do know where the book's author stands. I don't think all of it is intended in the director's case, maybe it's a combination of style, tone, dialogue and general themes in his work, but I've seen this analysis before. A classmate of mine brought it up in college and I think he made very similar points. Damn, that was like a decade ago. It's certainly not the first time I've heard this line of thought for sure.

Kinda ironic it's Snyder fans, the same ones who tell themselves they're smarter than everyone else for appreciating the "deep" layers of his other works, who are arguing not to think about this too hard.

Yep.

Jan 11, 2018
Not a fan of the movie, but it did give us this ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gerard-Butler-in-300-Considered-The-Most-Impressive-Hollywood-Transformation.jpg

0d2aa5f80ed3503e5490f91b2c3dd796.jpg

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I remember my film study teacher going on a huge tirade about how 300 was racist fascist homophobic garbage like 7 years ago. I loved that class and he was totally on the money.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing is a lot messier then one side truly being the bad guys and the other side being the good guys.

I dunno if I can agree with that. As much as the burning of Sardis was unnecessary, the Ionian revolt itself was totally understandable. Cyrus invaded a lot of kingdoms, including the Lydian kingdom that Sardis was capital of, to found his Persian Empire and the Ionians didn't like it so they fought back.

I mean we're not talking about Persian-Greek states, we're talking about Greek states invaded and occupied by Persia for about fifty years. Regaining their independence was exactly what the Ionians fought for and what Athens helped them take back.

Whether Cyrus was a good emperor or had good intentions doesn't really matter. Darius killed the guy's son and took control of the Empire under the pretense of saving it from some stupid plot from a wizard. Then he spent most of his time as emperor shutting down rebellions from kingdoms that didn't want to be ruled by the Persians. He seemed quite good at that until it was the Ionian's turn to rebel and they got help from Athens.

Empires have always been shitty. The Persian Empire was just stupid enough to piss off the Greeks, who banded together long enough to defeat them before Athens tried to found its own empire and that went to shit too.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the movie, but recognize that its depiction of Persians is far from objective. I would also argue that viewers would/should recognize that Sparta is not portrayed as an ideal place. Casting sick babies off a cliff to keep the warriors strong, for example, is obviously not something that the audience is likely to support. Having children fight to the point of risking death regularly is not something the audience would think is a great thing.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

FYI, Zack Snyder is a huge fan of Ayn Rand and has been trying to make a film adaptation of The Fountainhead for years.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I can agree with that. As much as the burning of Sardis was unnecessary, the Ionian revolt itself was totally understandable. Cyrus invaded a lot of kingdoms, including the Lydian kingdom that Sardis was capital of, to found his Persian Empire and the Ionians didn't like it so they fought back.

I mean we're not talking about Persian-Greek states, we're talking about Greek states invaded and occupied by Persia for about fifty years. Regaining their independence was exactly what the Ionians fought for and what Athens helped them take back.

Whether Cyrus was a good emperor or had good intentions doesn't really matter. Darius killed the guy's son and took control of the Empire under the pretense of saving it from some stupid plot from a wizard. Then he spent most of his time as emperor shutting down rebellions from kingdoms that didn't want to be ruled by the Persians. He seemed quite good at that until it was the Ionian's turn to rebel and they got help from Athens.

Empires have always been shitty. The Persian Empire was just stupid enough to piss off the Greeks, who banded together long enough to defeat them before Athens tried to found its own empire and that went to shit too.
The Ionian Revolt didn't start as a revolt based on trying to free Western Anatolia from the Persians. It began because one guy (Aristagoras) wanted to conquer another city, failed to get support (in the Wiki page he attempts to conquer it and fails), and then realising what he did would bring Darius' wrath on his head, initiated a revolt. You're right in that there was considerable Greek dissatisfaction with their Persian overlords. But the Ionian Revolt itself wasn't kicked off because a dissatisfied ruler wanted to liberate the Greeks.

https://ehistory.osu.edu/articles/ionian-revolt
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionian_Revolt