• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Will Hershey
@maybebullish

Tencent is reportedly raising several $ billion to buy a U.S. or Korean gaming company. Any guesses as to potential target?

@roundhill

Tencent Considering Debt Financing For Possible Gaming Deal
Tencent is looking at a potential acquisition of a gaming business according to TMT Finance.
The target has not been identified but it is expected to be a gaming company in the U.S. or South Korea.

Daniel Ahmad/ZhugeEX corroborates the report and maybe knows the target of the acquisition.

Any guesses?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It will never be a US public company, so I would say Bungie (NetEase, a Chinese company, already invested $100M)

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Smilegate or Pearl Abyss for Korean Dev, Take Two or maybe even someone like Bungie for a western dev?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I do think Ubi will be bought this year. I was thinking by Amazon or Google.. But maybe TenCent

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Take Two is the cheapest US based company at 22 billion, which would in the range of a large acquistion. EA at 40B+ and Blizzard at 70B+ are too large for this type of capital raise.

Or they are going to by the rest of the 60% of Epic games they don't already own.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is really showing how little people know which companies are US or Korean based...

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Why are so many people saying Bungie, didn't Bungie do everything in their power to get away from Activision not too long ago? What would make them want to sell again?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
devolver-digital-logo.jpg

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
EA and Activision would probably be too expensive (market caps of $40b+ and $70b+ respectively) for TenCent at this moment in time.

I could see them taking a run at Take-Two (with a market cap of $20b +) or even SEGA if they are thinking further afield.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what state Bungie's finances are in but I'm not sure why they would go to the effort of escaping Activision just to sell to Tencent