• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
are you sure you're not thinking of Wawrinka? Never heard of a tennis player called Murray.
giphy.gif

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Damn, Murray has been a top-4 player for almost ten years, either he/she is trolling or hasn't been following tennis that much.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i have to admit that i only watch the french open, which is by far the best slam in my opinion. never saw him playing there.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wrote a review for it if I'm allowed to post it here.

I usually write tennis pieces for that site so this is my first review of any game. Also, I bought the game and wasn't given a review copy.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I decided to settle with Tennis Elbow. The amount of mods regarding courts, WTA and ATP tournaments, sfx, animations etc even surpasses real life tennis.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I wrote a review for it if I'm allowed to post it here.

I usually write tennis pieces for that site so this is my first review of any game. Also, I bought the game and wasn't given a review copy.
Thanks, interesting read. You seem a little bit harsh score wise, but ok.

A lot of the problems you discovered could be 'easily' fixed I think? I am curious in what the first patch will resolve.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks, interesting read. You seem a little bit harsh score wise, but ok.

A lot of the problems you discovered could be 'easily' fixed I think? I am curious in what the first patch will resolve.

I also have the game and no, the score is not harsh, it's how it is: this is a game that is simply not finished. In fact, it seems far from finished. If this was a game preview, early access or something like that then one could forgive some of these stuff, but it's selling as a full price game. I'd say there is good stuff there and yes, perhaps all the issues can be patched eventually, specially infuriating things like the game choosing the shot for you or bouncing the ball before you can serve. But, as it is right now, it simply isn't worth the 60 euros/dollars.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Well, guess I'll settle for AO Tennis. Seems like the less shitty of the two from all the videos I watched.

With all the talk and hype about Tennis World Tour and its supposed connection to Top Spin it's pretty amazing how crappy the final product ended up. At least AO Tennis was almost stealth-launched and didn't pretend it was going to be the best shit ever.

Can't believe seven years later the best solution would still be a Top Spin 4 remastered. Ugh.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Can't believe seven years later the best solution would still be a Top Spin 4 remastered. Ugh.
Top Spin 4 though was amazing. Really great for this time and if you give the game now slightly better graphics. It would still be amazing.

Look at those video's. The crowd is amazing, the shots look great, the rallies are on the base line like real life, shots feel powerfull, the players move like their real life counterparts.

It's crazy how that all is a big problem in those new tennis games. The way rallies are played, makes me really annoyed as a good tennis player myself. Volleys on the baseline instead of letting the bal bounce, cmon ...

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Top Spin 4 though was amazing. Really great for this time and if you give the game now slightly better graphics. It would still be amazing.

It really was and I never expected the newer games to be as good. But they look cringy af for anyone who watches tennis semi-regularly.

I'm so hungry for a tennis game I could get over a subpar gameplay if the improvements you'd expect for a game released in 2018 were there : improved animations, more realistic player movesets/signature shots, nicer-looking courts/arenas... you know, things made possible thanks to newer hardware.

But that's not even there either and most of that stuff's even regressed compared to Top Spin 4. The only thing that's not an issue to me is the roster since that costs a lot of money and we all know these aren't exactly high-budget titles. Hell I'd take a game that has five players if their animations looked realistic. Quality over quantity.

I don't see any improvements over Top Spin 4 outside of resolution, some textures and maybe loading times ? That's fucking pathetic after waiting this long.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
It really was and I never expected the newer games to be as good. But they look cringy af for anyone who watches tennis semi-regularly.

I'm so hungry for a tennis game I could get over a subpar gameplay if the improvements you'd expect for a game released in 2018 were there : improved animations, more realistic player movesets/signature shots, nicer-looking courts/arenas... you know, things made possible thanks to newer hardware.

But that's not even there either and most of that stuff's even regressed compared to Top Spin 4. The only thing that's not an issue to me is the roster since that costs a lot of money and we all know these aren't exactly high-budget titles. Hell I'd take a game that has five players if their animations looked realistic. Quality over quantity.

I don't see any improvements over Top Spin 4 outside of resolution, some textures and maybe loading times ? That's fucking pathetic after waiting this long.

Top Spin 4 was an amazing game, probably the best realistic tennis game ever. The rallies felt pretty amazing, the crowd and animations were pretty good and on top of that it had a huge amount of licensed content which is always nice. It's a shame it never got a PC release and it's stuck on the 360/PS3 era (not counting the terrible Wii port). When World Tour was announced I was basically hoping for the same gameplay with a bit updated graphics but no, everything is subpar. One of the biggest disapointments.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
As a big tennis player and fan, I just cannot play this. It's so far off real tennis that I would cringe any minute. Sticking with the amazing Elbow Tennis ITST Mod then... Too bad that is only online multiplayer though.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Interesting to know. I just got a review code from the publisher with the question if we wanted to wait with reviewing the game untill June 4.

Because on that day the first big patch will be released apparently. This patch will bring quite some gameplay changes, more fluent animations, doubles, online mode and much better commentary. They told me that the product will be quite different from June 4 and that the current state doesn't reflect the quality of the game.

Sounds promising, but I don't understand why they didn't postpone the game for three weeks or a month. That negative publicity right now isn't going away.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Interesting to know. I just got a review code from the publisher with the question if we wanted to wait with reviewing the game untill June 4.

Because on that day the first big patch will be released apparently. This patch will bring quite some gameplay changes, more fluent animations, doubles, online mode and much better commentary. They told me that the product will be quite different from June 4 and that the current state doesn't reflect the quality of the game.

Sounds promising, but I don't understand why they didn't postpone the game for three weeks or a month. That negative publicity right now isn't going away.

I just cannot believe this. Who makes these decisions?

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I just cannot believe this. Who makes these decisions?
I assume it's because of Roland Garros and they doesn't want to miss that.

Also Roland Garros organizes a eSports competition starting tommorow with Tennis World Tour. That's some good and big publicity. And a tournament like Roland Garros can't wait for a month because of a delay.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
So I just played for an hour. The thing that really bugged me is not the gameplay yet (aside from hitting the ball without it touching the racket), but the lack of atmosphere. It is always deadly quiet and you see the audience clapping. And the commentary, well a good thing that they are going to patch that, because more terrible is quite impossible.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

yikes what a bone headed decision not to delay

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I assume it's because of Roland Garros and they doesn't want to miss that.

Also Roland Garros organizes a eSports competition starting tommorow with Tennis World Tour. That's some good and big publicity. And a tournament like Roland Garros can't wait for a month because of a delay.

I understand but I would say they lose more by releasing the game in this state vs. what they win by being in Roland Garros. They could have setup a tournament in RS without releasing the game.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
No 4 players or online yet?
I wanted to get but sorry, not without 4 players at least, maybe when they include that, it needs to be better.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
New patch. A little bit strange to see the Xbox-version have a lot of good improvements and on the PS4-version only small ones ...

----
Hello everyone,
We've just released a patch for Tennis World Tour on Xbox One and are updating the Playstation 4 version shortly. The patches bring several bug fixes and improvements to the game. You can find the list of changes below.
Thank you very much for your feedback so far. We know there are a lot of things you would like to see improved. Rest assured that we are working hard to address all issues and expand the game.
With the next phase of patches, we will implement the first part of the online multiplayer functionality, balancing, animation, and audio improvements, additional bug fixes based on your feedback, and more.
We hope to have more details for you next week.
XBOX CHANGELOG – VERSION 1.0.0.8
  • An Exhibition Tournament mode has been added to the game
  • General gameplay improvements
  • Difficulty, AI and career have been rebalanced, and the calendar has been updated to better reflect the actual pro circuit
  • New camera options have been added: You can choose from Far, Normal and Immersive camera angles.
  • Added an option to display shot quality feedback
  • Added visual improvements: player animations, cutscenes, stadium atmosphere, main menu
  • Improved general performance
  • Player stats & details have received an update
  • Audio commentary has been added
  • Several bug fixes

PLAYSTATION 4 – VERSION 1.0.2
  • Fixed an issue the caused Tsitsipas to use the wrong backhand style.
  • Fixed a bug that caused one-handed backhand players to sometimes use a two-handed backhand. This should not happen anymore now.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to behave as if they had a "volley preference", thus attracting them to the net more than they should. Automatic moves to the net should be drastically reduced.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during a non-playable event in Career mode after finishing a match in Exhibition mode.
  • Federer and Dimitrov's DLC racket's now display the correct Wilson brand logo.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur frequently in the Equipment menu when equipping DLC equipment.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy crap. The PS4 version is horrible as it stands but the Xbox One hadn't even got the first update and was seemingly far worse. Jesus Christ.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
We should actually hope that EA is going to make a tennis game again one day. Their Grand Slam Tennis-games weren't really good gameplay wise, but the licenses, commentary, atmosphere, crow, movement of the realy players and graphics were great.

May 5, 2018
Shame about this game. I just remembered that this game came out not that long ago and looked up reviews and noticed it got a 3.5/10 from Critical Hit. OUCH.

Albeit while this Tennis game aims for something different, at least Mario Tennis Aces looks good. For anyone who doesn't own a Switch...I'm sorry.

Edit: Apparently that 2 from Gamespot only popped up on a Google search and the review doesn't actually exist.

Last edited:

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We should actually hope that EA is going to make a tennis game again one day. Their Grand Slam Tennis-games weren't really good gameplay wise, but the licenses, commentary, atmosphere, crow, movement of the realy players and graphics were great.
If you made a tennis game which was a mix of Virtua Tennis 4, Top Spin 4, Tennis Elbow 2013 and Grand Slam Tennis 2 you would have the best sports game ever.

Make the gameplay a mix of TS4 and TE2013, have the licenses and atmosphere from TS4/GST2 and have VT4's animations. That would be good enough.

Commentary isn't needed in tennis games. During points in real life commentators don't speak. In a game the gaps between points don't really exist for the need of commentary.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well...guess it was to be expected, seems both Tennis World Tour and AO International Tennis are (really) bad. I really enjoyed Tennis games back on Amiga and of course Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and Top Spin later on Xbox.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As bad as the game is right now, I think we should all give it a few months. The foundations are actually pretty solid so if Breakpoint Studios actually put the time and effort into the game it could actually end up relatively good.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
As bad as the game is right now, I think we should all give it a few months. The foundations are actually pretty solid so if Breakpoint Studios actually put the time and effort into the game it could actually end up relatively good.
They can have all the time they like as I'm certainly not paying £49.99 on PSN. A month or two down the line, with a few significant patches, and a £29.99 price. Sure, I'll get that.

Makes you wonder why they didn't polish and release around Wimbledon time.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if anyone has realised but the trophy list has quite a few spelling errors. Don't think I've ever seen a game have these before?

Feb 8, 2018
hope this plays better than it looks. Graphically this would've been possible on Wii U maybe even PS3 at lower resolution

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Actually, I have played it for a couple of hours now and you really see that the game actually has a really solid foundation. I think the foundation is actually a lot better than AO Tennis gameplay wise. But there are so many things that just aren't good enough right now'

I do think the game has so much potential to be a good to decent tennis game with a lot of small adjustments. I just hope that the game Sells enough in the next weeks so that the publisher think it is worth thé effort to make all those adjustments.

You do have thé give Them props for their player line-up. I think it's one of the biggest player line ups ever. Grand Slam Tennis 2 for example only had 8 current male players. And they did made thé promise to add more players in the Future. Sadly most of them don't really love like their real Counterparts.

hope this plays better than it looks. Graphically this would've been possible on Wii U maybe even PS3 at lower resolution
I think graphically everyone is a little bit excagerating. It still is thé best looking tennis game ever made. It looks graphically a lot better then Top Spin 4 or Grand Slam Tennis 2 on PS3.

I do agree that it certainly isn't one of the best looking games on PS4. But I don't think you can expect much more froma small developer with a small publisher like Big Ben.