Status
Not open for further replies.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She's on a roll, maybe the news of Musk buying has got her particularly frisky.
Going to be a fun week...

screenshot2022-04-25audkvd.png

screenshot2022-04-25aqgjgf.png
What the ever loving fuck. The woman is insane.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20220425-073152_Chrome.jpg

The lesbian who created Lesbian Visibility Week denounced JK Rowling for using it to celebrate an arch transphobe lesbian.

JK Rowling responded with this, where she just posts a picture of Alex Drummond who was not involved in this in anyway just to say look at this trans woman with a beard.

She's full Graham Linehan now

Is she not aware that there are cis women with beards?

Or is this just the standard JK "there is only one way to be a woman" schtick?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Transphobic 'dogwhistle' (more like an airhorn, really) playing up the idea this person can't be a 'real' woman because they don't present the way she sets.

Which, yes, means throwing cis women with beards under the bus. As usual when that kind of remarks comes up

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

She just doesn't care, it helps her attack trans women. Her viewpoints change to whatever is convenient for her, even if that means throwing non-conforming cis women under the bus and further enforcing stereotypes and gender roles. Everything is merely ammo for her anti-trans crusade.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Silly me, I forgot that it's actually straight women who are the arbiters of what lesbians can and can't do or be. Thanks for the reminder, Joanne!

Fuck off into the sea.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Same thing when you point out not all women have periods/uteruses/breasts/etc. due to medical reasons, or when you point out the existence of intersex people. Joanne and others like her don't care about nuance. They only care about their definition of what a woman is in the moment of their argument to justify why trans people shouldn't exist.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I keep coming back into this thread. I think I'll stop now, she'll just blathering and rambling at this point.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a question. my trans boyfriend loves Harry Potter and the stores he buys them from doesn't support JKR in any form, is that fine?
That account had a history of posting questions on trans topics in a way that toes that JAQ line of feigned innocence and has always felt off. When I read that question I got the same vibe as the times before, and I'm glad it wasn't just me judging by the mod action.
I don't think this deserved a permanent ban, he doesn't seem to be a troll account and is probably just really naive and young. His questions can be very similar to JAQing off in how they're phrased, but going by his Twitter, he seems genuine.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this deserved a permanent ban, he doesn't seem to be a troll account and is probably just really naive and young. His questions can be very similar to JAQing off in how they're phrased, but going by his Twitter, he seems genuine.

He's also, at least claimed to be, autistic, and he always read that way to me, as someone on the spectrum. His experience is limited and he asks rather broad questions without grasping the nuances that seem immediately obvious to others.

If the mods have some other evidence that this was disingenuous, then not much else to be done, but this one is giving me slight pause

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

He's also, at least claimed to be, autistic, and he always read that way to me, as someone on the spectrum. His experience is limited and he asks rather broad questions without grasping the nuances that seem immediately obvious to others.

If the mods have some other evidence that this was disingenuous, then not much else to be done, but this one is giving me slight pause

Yeah, not getting too much into it, he does seem genuine to a degree. Like looking at his Twitter, he does have a Trans BF, so I wouldn't see much reason for him to be Transphobic.

But if they banned him, then that's their choice.

Anyway, fuck JK!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Having a look it seems you might be right — going more off of his partners account. I'll note I didn't report the post at the time so the sense was obviously shared by others, which is why I wasn't surprised with the response. The line of posts around trans women in prisons wasn't the best precursor to the current question either.

Seems an unfortunate coincidence where the positioning of their questions runs in the same vein as those who are less genuine. I don't have the time or the desire to go searching the socials of everyone who seems sus so didn't really question it, especially over someone effectively seeking validation in supporting someone from those they harm. Isn't incumbent upon us to give the all clear for people to engage with Harry Potter.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's Rowling's obsession with bearded men? I can't seem to make sense of her ramblings.
She's also got an obsession with hating fat people and villainises any woman outside of overly feminine characteristics, will give them masculine aspects in the Harry Potter books. If she hates a woman, she'll give them facial hair. There's a lot of gender essentialism that was present in her books before she went mask off with transphobia a few years ago. This misogyny and meanness over physical characteristics was mostly excised from the films.
Timestamped (6:40 - 10:00)

fAKyK5y.png

GQksmDW.png

tlR6h9c.png

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty fucking revolting even by her standards.
Yep. Plus, the person she's responding to is a woman who proudly voted against gay marriage and still held that pride when questioned in 2020. This is alongside her using lesbian visibility week to slander the CEO of Stonewall, a lesbian, and aid in a campaign against her.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Plus, the person she's responding to is a woman who proudly voted against gay marriage and still held that pride when questioned in 2020. This is alongside her using lesbian visibility week to slander the CEO of Stonewall, a lesbian, and aid in a campaign against her.

I just don't get why people are like this. It feels so alien to me to get so caught up in other peoples lives and harbouring so much hate for people. She has all the money in the world, and she's still just sat on Twitter putting venom out in the world for seemingly nothing.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Voldemort, Umbridge or Grindewald some Joanne self-insert? She is just like them.

Glad her shitty movie was a failure. And hope her future endeavors also fail. What a horrible and disgusting person she is.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't Voldemort, Umbridge or Grindewald some Joanne self-insert? She is just like them.

Glad her shitty movie was a failure. And hope her future endeavors also fail. What a horrible and disgusting person she is.

Apparently Umbridge was based on a teacher that Rowling despised. One might assume this was because the teacher was emotionally abusive, right?

No, because she was hyper feminine and Joanne thought that was disgusting.

She doesn't like women who she thinks are too masculine. She doesn't like women she thinks are too feminine. It seems Rowling's idea of what a woman should be has to line up pretty closely with herself! How feminist.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

The Shaun video is great on this, but there are no good/bad actions for her, just good/bad people.

Her heroes in the book are often mean, bully, punch down etc... but that is fine because they are 'good' and working towards the 'good' goal. It's bad when the bad people do it because... they are bad and working towards bad things. No doubt she sees herself in the same light, her actions are not mean/bullying because she is on what she sees as the 'good' side - and honestly it is probably because she cannot comprehend herself not being on the side of 'good'. It seems like her planned and failing 5-film arc for Fantastic Beasts was literally to respond to the critique 'Why didn't wizards stop Hitler', so she is quite happy to completely go off the deep end in order to continue justifying to herself that she is on the side of 'good'.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Umbridge was based on a teacher that Rowling despised. One might assume this was because the teacher was emotionally abusive, right?

She doesn't like women who she thinks are too masculine. She doesn't like women she thinks are too feminine. It seems Rowling's idea of what a woman should be has to line up pretty closely with herself! How feminist.
I missed this particular bit of information. lol. Christ. 🤦‍♀️

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

It's also stated in some interviews and autobiographies (I seriously cannot find them, I saw the links via twitter years ago, and twitter is HORRIBLE with archiving shit) that she hates being a woman and says alot of "woe is me" shit for being a woman and how horrible it is, and that she might have even transitioned to a man when she was younger if she had the opportunity too, or some shit I don't remember the excuse. It makes sense if she's projecting self-hatred onto people who are actually trying to become who they want to be, rather than throwing pity parties and wallowing in misery while refusing to ever do anything about it, and the existence of trans people isn't allowing her to give up and pretend there's absolutely nothing she can do.

Dec 20, 2017
I generally can separate art and artist.

But the sheer abject cold ruthless poison and the absolute betrayal of Terfy Jo crosses the line.

Like even fucking Linehan to a degree. No trans kid ever grew up thinking their existence was being validated by Father Ted but they certainly did with aspects of Potter's world.

I had no idea the creator of Father Ted and The IT Crowd was a subhuman piece of garbage. I just read up on him and...wow. What a serious piece of shit.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's also stated in some interviews and autobiographies (I seriously cannot find them, I saw the links via twitter years ago, and twitter is HORRIBLE with archiving shit) that she hates being a woman and says alot of "woe is me" shit for being a woman and how horrible it is, and that she might have even transitioned to a man when she was younger if she had the opportunity too, or some shit I don't remember the excuse. It makes sense if she's projecting self-hatred onto people who are actually trying to become who they want to be, rather than throwing pity parties and wallowing in misery while refusing to ever do anything about it, and the existence of trans people isn't allowing her to give up and pretend there's absolutely nothing she can do.

I can't find anything she said in the old interviews that she did but in the essay where she unmasked herself, she mentioned the following:

bcTT8cU.jpeg

GUiwT9p.jpeg

She wrongly equates her own struggles with mental health with the mental health issues that trans men, and said she might have considered transition as an alluring possibility to escape her problems and from her womanhood, if it had been a possible option for her. This speaks loudly on how much she misunderstands why people choose to go through transition.

There's also the implied suggestion that one can find solace in books and music, rather than choose transition, to escape from problems. She's minimising a lot of the suffering that trans men and women go through, in a way that might not be obvious to readers who are not educated in LGBTQ+ matters.

That's what makes her so dangerous.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I can't find anything she said in the old interviews that she did but in the essay where she unmasked herself, she mentioned the following:

bcTT8cU.jpeg

GUiwT9p.jpeg

She wrongly equates her own struggles with mental health with the mental health issues that trans men, and said she might have considered transition as an alluring possibility to escape her problems and from her womanhood, if it had been a possible option for her. This speaks loudly on how much she misunderstands why people choose to go through transition.

There's also the implied suggestion that one can find solace in books and music, rather than choose transition, to escape from problems. She's minimising a lot of the suffering that trans men and women go through, in a way that might not be obvious to readers who are not educated in LGBTQ+ matters.

That's what makes her so dangerous.
She not only equates others similiar but different struggles as being identical with her own and thus thinks it nullifies the validity of other peoples experiences (because she seems to believe in her own limited "I am the protagonist of the world"-view) but her moral absolutism makes her believe that anyone who disagrees with her has to be wrong and thus evil, just another point where she can't and won't accept that her personal biases and imbecile moral system isn't the final and absolute answer of everything or the limit of the human conscious capacity.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Screenshot_20220425-073152_Chrome.jpg

The lesbian who created Lesbian Visibility Week denounced JK Rowling for using it to celebrate an arch transphobe lesbian.

JK Rowling responded with this, where she just posts a picture of Alex Drummond who was not involved in this in anyway just to say look at this trans woman with a beard.

She's full Graham Linehan now

Oh...

metro.co.uk

Woman who spent years hiding her facial hair learns to love her full beard

Gennevieve says she's more confident than ever since embracing her facial hair.

Gennevieve, 34, from Ontario, Canada, started growing hair around her chin and upper lip from the age of 16, and was later diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, which caused the excessive growth.

JK would HATE her.

apen

Apr 5, 2022
I had no idea the creator of Father Ted and The IT Crowd was a subhuman piece of garbage. I just read up on him and...wow. What a serious piece of shit.
It's so curious to me how many revered British writers and comedians (who you would assume are left leaning) are passionately transphobic. I remember feeling really uncomfortable watching Ricky Gervais hosting some award event and making offensive jokes about transparent that I don't care to recall. There's definitely something uniquely awful about these people who have so much influence outside of politics to take such extreme stances. I think that's what's helped normalise an intense amount of bigotry in this country toward trans people.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's so curious to me how many revered British writers and comedians (who you would assume are left leaning) are passionately transphobic. I remember feeling really uncomfortable watching Ricky Gervais hosting some award event and making offensive jokes about transparent that I don't care to recall. There's definitely something uniquely awful about these people who have so much influence outside of politics to take such extreme stances. I think that's what's helped normalise an intense amount of bigotry in this country toward trans people.
A lot of 'left wing' comedians here, especially established successful ones, are centrist libes and so being transphobic is sadly all too common.

Omoi

May 7, 2019

To answer this properly you really have to go back to radical feminist discourse in the sixties and seventies, the differences between the conversations that were happening in Britain vs those happening in the States, and the extent to which the prominent voices in those conversations were then accepted into mainstream thought.

This isn't just an issue for trans women, but all non cis het white women. Feminism as a movement, and the mainstream understanding thereof, in the UK is significantly less intersectional than in the USA.

If you want an in-depth explanation, read up on the history of second wave feminism, the history of transphobia in it, the idea of "political lesbianism" and prominent UK feminists of the era like Germaine Greer, who contributed a lot to what is thought of as mainstream feminist thought in the UK even today.

www.buzzfeednews.com

Why Are Some Feminists In The UK Freaking Out About Trans Rights?

The protesters who hijacked and led the London Pride parade over the weekend represent a worrying trend of anti-trans feminism in the UK.

This article from a few years ago has a reasonably good overview that might give you some ideas of where to read up more if you want to.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Rachel Riley defends JK Rowling, makes the ludicrous claim that they both supports trans rights.

Also claims that the real reason behind criticism of Rowling is about her denouncing Corbyn's antisemitism... like what in the actual fuck how is that one one thing you zero in on god damn.

Yeah between this and Jimmy Carr talking to Peterson about the dangers of cancel culture I'm glad I haven't seen an episode of their Countdown in ages, fucking vile.

*edit*

Additionally throwing in a that Riley believes trans rights conflict with women's rights and this should be discussed without being called a bigot or extremist "on both sides". Hard to fucking tout both sidesism when you're literally promoting one side that views trans women as a conflict against cis women.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it, Rachel. Why do people feel this insane need to trip over themselves to defend Rowling?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it, Rachel. Why do people feel this insane need to trip over themselves to defend Rowling?

I think she has always been a terrible conservative . I remember her wearing a shirt of Corbyn being arrested with a photoshopped sign (the arrest I believe was was actually because of his protests against the apartheid in South Africa)

Status
Not open for further replies.