• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Just came from a viewing. I thought it was enjoyable for the most part, moreso than all the films since T2( not sure that's exactly a high bar to clear). Some of the story beats are certainly up for debate but it is a competent film in my book.

Oct 25, 2017
I think reading major spoilers outside of the context of a film is really just going out of your way to fuck with your own experience by setting up some preconceived reactions that you'll only end up looking to confirm when you actually make it to the theater. I'm happy I managed to see it before the internet tried to tell me how to feel.

It's fun watching how all over the place the reviews have been falling. So far leaning positive overall but you can find some wild variation of feelings from person to person. Bring on Armond White.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've read a handful of reviews where the author alludes to this being the last Terminator film, but hasn't Cameron said this is the beginning of a new trilogy?

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Sounds like Terminator 2 may have been dethroned.
source.gif

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like this could hover around the 60% on RT and it seems to be staying there. I mean for a new terminator film I'm kinda happy with that.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/reviews/1106549-terminator-dark-fate-review
Terminator: Dark Fate is a ballsy, muscular thrill ride (at some points you can practically feel the theme park attraction that will undoubtedly arise at a later date), bloody and very R-rated, that has tons of humor, heart, and surprises, and returns the franchise to its former glory while paving a new way forward towards a very different future.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...e-review-arnold-schwarzenegger-linda-hamilton

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After halt and catch fire I'm a fan of Davis so I might just watch for her. Oh and Edward Furlong is supposed to be in this too so I want to see that.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd just like to say that
Dani is a more believable John Connor than any actual iteration of John Connor. Like, her character is one I actually see being someone that inspires the resistance.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before, but I just need this to be a good ride. I don't mind flaws. I don't need this to be T2. I just want to feel like a real sequel to those films.

Much like with The Force Awakens, I need them to prove to me that they can make a good one of these. I didn't dare hope before, but now I actually am.

Oct 28, 2017
I said it before, but I just need this to be a good ride. I don't mind flaws. I don't need this to be T2. I just want to feel like a real sequel to those films.

Much like with The Force Awakens, I need them to prove to me that they can make a good one of these. I didn't dare hope before, but now I actually am.
Oh don't worry. The film delivers what it needs to.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was, not great, but not terrible kind of in the middle. I maybe kind of prefer Genysis to this to be honest, that was ridiculous and stupid and over the top. This was just kind of a bit more dull and to safe. It was trying to make you feel for these characters and make it mean something when I didn't care for any of these characters. Some of the action scenes were ok and enemy Terminator didn't really feel like a threat.

It feels like groundhog day with these films, every few years Arnies digital image will be puppeteered in vaguely different scenes until the end of time.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It feels like groundhog day with these films, every few years Arnies digital image will be puppeteered in vaguely different scenes until the end of time.

That do makes me wonder about the future of Arnie in cinema. He definitely seems like the type of guy who'll be okay with people using his face even after his passing.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it, but seriously so many scenes were too dark, literally.
I don't know if it was the screen where I went to see it but yeah.

Midnight now but I need to sleep on it.

Apr 19, 2018
Apstyl and VorpalNonsense have already given some impressions, but anyone else have any thoughts on the music score? I'm dying to know how well Brad Fiedel's Main Theme is utilized.

For example, is the version featured during the end credits a full statement of the theme, a la T3: Rise of the Machines?

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
The movie is trash like wtf, I wanted to get out of the theater after the intro, what a piece of junk... just stay with T1 and T2 which are amazing.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
"tons of humor" in a review for a Terminator movie is the last thing I wanna fuckin' hear anymore.

Thanks for that, T2.

most blockbusters have gone absolutely overboard with it this last decade (post-Joss Whedon) but I thought the humorous scenes in T2 were fine. It never served to undercut the sense of dread the movie had.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
most blockbusters have gone absolutely overboard with it this last decade (post-Joss Whedon) but I thought the humorous scenes in T2 were fine. It never served to undercut the sense of dread the movie had.
Agreed.

One of the most sobering scenes in the film actually barely gets a mention most of the time. When John watches the two kids playing with guns, yelling about who killed who and he ponders that people aren't gonna make it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

One of the most sobering scenes in the film actually barely gets a mention most of the time. When John watches the two kids playing with guns, yelling about who killed who and he ponders that people aren't gonna make it.

Furlong gets called out for his spotty acting in T2, and sometimes it is noticeable. but the really spacey drugged out voice of his really worked well in both that and American History X. he was like the embodiment of 90s teenage gloom back then.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Just finished watching it. Had genisys had good actors, it would have probably been better. The pacing is bad for half the movie, And it's overall cringy. And yes we know girls can be strong, it's handled poorly.

The new terminator is cool but it gets old after the first fight scene. Probably won't watch it again.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished watching it a few mins ago. I honestly really enjoyed it. Good action scenes and it's Arnie! Cringy? Nah. You know what you're in for and if you want a it serious, there's always Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton or some shit. The new baddie terminator is a two-for-one package - excellent value. It's not Terminator 2, but it's a recommend from Red Sonja.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it, definitely the best one since T2. I think this will be the last Terminator film and they were obviously aware of that possibility during production, I really liked how they dealt with Arnold's character and retired him gracefully.

If we don't get any sequel then I'm happy with this ending, I enjoyed what they did with Sarah and the Terminator. The movie was nothing special but Sarah gave the movie a link to the first two that the other sequels all lacked, it made it work as a proper Terminator 3.

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
In 1998 Sarah and John are in a bar by the beach. John is talking to some girl as Sarah watches on. Arnold walks up and shoots him several times, confirms he is dead, then walks away as Sarah cradles his body.

Ehhh... I was on the fence if I wanted to see this movie but I think I am good waiting to see it on a streaming service if even that.

Oct 28, 2017
But why?
People grew up with this John and now only a short while after the events of T2 he dies. It makes T2 worse and does a big disservice to the character
How does it make T2 worse or less important? It doesn't do a disservice to anything.
The Skynet future was prevented. The John Connor that would inspire the resistance was not needed anymore. That story had been told. That's a different timeline. The Legion future is not the same as the Skynet future. That needs a different hero. Killing off John sat very well with me. There's a new set of characters that matter in this new timeline going forward and I see no issue moving on to that. That opening scene was shocking, had a lot of impact and in the grand scheme of things makes it easier to fit Dani in the new role of resistance leader in the era of Legion. John saved us from Skynet. Let Dani save us from Legion.