• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I got to see one in person the other day.

So sleek I actually like it more than the model s.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's some sort of sense to it (not awarding the same car twice or something), but it's sort of weird that it's the car of the year, but not the sedan of the year.
You know what else is rear-engine, rear-wheel drive? The Porsche 911. That's fine company for a car that's priced like a Buick LaCrosse.
Also the Smart ForTwo.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Longer post, I understand, TLDR - tesla/solar city

I know this is topic for the model 3 but has anyone done any business with solar city (now tesla)? We signed an initial solar contract for panels + power walls in august of last year and it has yet to be installed.. until last month the excuse was that our local power monopoly (Arizona, APS) did not approve the plans "because it is politically motivated/its the electric company's fault" which was never true as I found out recently, I saw the drawings and signatures first hand , installation was approved, but I did not push the matter as I just want it installed.

I want the solar and battery backup since I now drive a 2018 bolt. Not to stir the pot but I put down on a model 3 but late in the game but, due to my later pre-order, I don't know if I'll get the refund, which would be a game changer for myself.

Now they are saying they cannot produce (enough maybe?) power walls at this time and I might be able to get our batteries (x2) by q2 2019. I was given a laundry list of other excuses over the past 8 months and which makes me doubt teslas customer service, record, and reliability, but at this point have a choice to reconsider since I haven't consented to an actual an agreement/loan since the terms have expired, is it even worth it? What happens if a battery dies? Do I have to wait another year for replacement?

My electricity cost per month, depending on current grid average power consumption, is roughly the same with the power wall given the financing (paid off in 10 years), but I don't see tesla coming through with post installation support, keeping in mind I signed the original contract in august 2017.

I want to emphasize that the contract has voided because of it has expired due to time so I still have the opportunity to tell them to go pound sand.

And advise? it is a ~15kwh system, 270/month on a 10 year lease (with the tax credit included, 12k) I am in arizona so my electric bills can reach over 400 easily during the late sping/early fall months.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
No issues with the speedometer the biggest issue is the nav directions being all the way to the right. Oh when I got my car back it had 10.5 installed it's nice you didn't have to experience the prior builds the unlock/car entry is better now. The mapping seems better/different but that could be a placebo due to me driving the model S for a week.

Rumor had it the autopilot is improved as well but I didn't get a chance to test it. Will be going on a road trip over the weekend and I intend to be using a lot of autopilot

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
No issues with the speedometer the biggest issue is the nav directions being all the way to the right. Oh when I got my car back it had 10.5 installed it's nice you didn't have to experience the prior builds the unlock/car entry is better now. The mapping seems better/different but that could be a placebo due to me driving the model S for a week.

Rumor had it the autopilot is improved as well but I didn't get a chance to test it. Will be going on a road trip over the weekend and I intend to be using a lot of autopilot

Yeah directions need to be on the left of the nav screen.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Welp....

pTi5DAz.jpg

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Got my car back. All fixed. Had to return the P100D which was sad. Happy to have my car again though! :)

Looks like they replaced the Charge Port Assembly and the Charge Port Door.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Slightly off topic guys, but has anyone considered the Jaguar I-Pace? I had the chance to drive one earlier in the week and it was very very impressive

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Slightly off topic guys, but has anyone considered the Jaguar I-Pace? I had the chance to drive one earlier in the week and it was very very impressive

It's gorgeous but for the price, the range (240 miles combined estimated EPA) is disappointing. Considering it lacks access to SuperChargers, it's just too expensive for the range it offers.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The I-Pace seems to be more of a compact SUV compared to the Model X which is a full size SUV.

They are not actually that comparable because they are so different in dimensions. The I-Pace is nice if you're looking for something smaller but the range is still to be determined by real world tests and Jaguar obviously isn't planning on building out a Level 3 charging network.

Still, as their first EV effort it seems pretty nice.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
The I-Pace seems to be more of a compact SUV compared to the Model X which is a full size SUV.

They are not actually that comparable because they are so different in dimensions. The I-Pace is nice if you're looking for something smaller but the range is still to be determined by real world tests and Jaguar obviously isn't planning on building out a Level 3 charging network.

Still, as their first EV effort it seems pretty nice.

That's a similar story to Porsche's Mission E Cross Turismo - I keep hearing people say that it's their answer to Model X, but I suspect in reality it still doesn't reach the cargo capacity of a Model S, let alone the X.

The I-Pace is sexy for sure and will be a legitimate luxury product. Good luck to the company for finding that niche and entering it properly. Also, the Waymo partnership is a great opportunity for them.

Personally I'm more interested in the long range Hyundai Kona EV, although that's smaller than my current diesel (yuck) Tucson. I may go that route if Model Y doesn't look compelling enough, since I've had zero issues with my Hyundai in 240,000 km, and the Kona EV will probably be on sale here in Australia for 10k less than the base Model 3 and have more range. Mind you, I'm actually waiting for charging infrastructure to be a thing in Australia, so that may exclude everyone except Tesla if we don't get our shit together in this country.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So the Q1 numbers mean they will deliver on time?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Got back from my mini road trip. Had some butt clinching regarding charge as the car estimated I'd have about 2% left when I got home. I drove the speed limit and turned off my AC to maximize and got home with 13 miles to spare! :)

Did a supercharger while on this trip and did about 250 miles of charging and was charged 14.75. It charged those miles in about 45 minutes.

Autopilot worked extremely well with no scares but did have some issues changing lanes for me on some stretches of road where it just refused to change lanes for me.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
My wife wanted to drive the Tesla so I had to drive my old Corolla to work. It made me very sad to watch her pull away in it. I guess ill put in a 2nd order now so we can get one for her in a few years.

Got back from my mini road trip. Had some butt clinching regarding charge as the car estimated I'd have about 2% left when I got home. I drove the speed limit and turned off my AC to maximize and got home with 13 miles to spare! :)

Did a supercharger while on this trip and did about 250 miles of charging and was charged 14.75. It charged those miles in about 45 minutes.

Autopilot worked extremely well with no scares but did have some issues changing lanes for me on some stretches of road where it just refused to change lanes for me.

Yeah I have not had great luck with lane changing. It seems hit or miss.

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing a bit of research since I got the email to customize the Model 3. While I'm not pulling the trigger until I can get AWD, I have a few questions regarding the Wall Connector for those that have one already:

- Is it worth it?
- I already have enough space for the wall connector for it to be installed in my existing fuse box, but approx. how much did it cost to install?
- Tesla doesn't install it, correct? It can be any electrician?
- I already have a regular wall outlet where I would want the wall connector anyway (as it's right next to where I park my existing car). I'm assuming that outlet can just be converted into the Wall Connector?

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I've been doing a bit of research since I got the email to customize the Model 3. While I'm not pulling the trigger until I can get AWD, I have a few questions regarding the Wall Connector for those that have one already:

- Is it worth it?
- I already have enough space for the wall connector for it to be installed in my existing fuse box, but approx. how much did it cost to install?
- I already have a regular wall outlet where I would want the wall connector anyway (as it's right next to where I park my existing car). I'm assuming that outlet can just be converted into the Wall Connector?
I can only answer the last question. If it's a regular 120V outlet, then no. The wall connector uses a 240V circuit (like a clothes washer, electric water heater or electric range).

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA

- Is it worth it?

The wall connector has some advantages over the charge cable included with the car. You can charge at a higher charge rate (48amps vs 32amps). It's cool looking. I guess that's about the list of advantages :) It does cost $500 just for the device so if you are going to use the included charge cable that comes with your car you save $500 right off the bat. It is probably not really worth it unless you drive a LOT every day. Depending on where the charger will be installed relative to your fuse box will determine some of the cost. Also, just because you have an open space on your box doesn't mean you can support a high amp charger. Any electrician can install it, in fact if you know what you are doing you could do it yourself, although I'd never do that. You could plug in the charge cable into a standard outlet and charge at about 3-4 miles an hour. This is good enough for some people if they have short commutes. Just know going from empty to full would take about 4 days straight charging. :)

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wall connector has some advantages over the charge cable included with the car. You can charge at a higher charge rate (48amps vs 32amps). It's cool looking. I guess that's about the list of advantages :) It does cost $500 just for the device so if you are going to use the included charge cable that comes with your car you save $500 right off the bat. It is probably not really worth it unless you drive a LOT every day. Depending on where the charger will be installed relative to your fuse box will determine some of the cost. Also, just because you have an open space on your box doesn't mean you can support a high amp charger. Any electrician can install it, in fact if you know what you are doing you could do it yourself, although I'd never do that. You could plug in the charge cable into a standard outlet and charge at about 3-4 miles an hour. This is good enough for some people if they have short commutes. Just know going from empty to full would take about 4 days straight charging. :)

Just to clarify:

You get 32A/240v charge rate from a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet. Not a 120v NEMA 5-15 outlet (the standard 120v outlet you plug stuff into inside your house). If you have an electric dryer or range, those connect to a NEMA 14-30 outlet which Teslas do not come with an adapter for but you can buy separately. It's generally not advisable to buy a long extension cord and try and plug your car to a dryer or range outlet inside your house, though it can be helpful in a pinch if you're traveling somewhere and encounter such an outlet while away from home.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet is relatively cheap to have an electrician come to your garage and install for you. If you have some light proficiency in home electrical work, you can probably install that outlet yourself if your house is already properly wired for it. The mobile charging unit that comes with the car can plug directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet with the included adapter.

The Tesla Wall Connector is just a fancy box that sits on your wall. I mean sure it looks cool, but for most people 48A vs. 32A is more or less immaterial, the car can charge from empty to full if left in your garage overnight while you sleep. Most people do not drive over 200-300 miles every single day on multiple long trips where they would actually come home empty, charge it up, and then drive a lot again the same day.

The standard 120v outlet is generally insufficient unless you drive less than 20-30 miles a day. Most people don't buy cars to not drive them unless they are Lamborghinis or something. If your Model 3 is going to be your daily driver, you should not attempt to rely on a 120v outlet for home charging.

The Model S/X can actually charge up to 40A from the included mobile charging units because their batteries are bigger than the ones in the 3. This is largely immaterial, time to full charge from empty is comparable between S/X and 3, roughly 8-10 hours when connected to a NEMA 14-50. This decreases to roughly 6 hours when connected to the Wall Connector. Not a big difference. Most people pay the $500 for the Wall Connector because it looks cool in their garage, not because they really need the increased charge rate.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to nitpick, but...

You get 32A/240v charge rate from a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet.

NEMA 14-50 is capable of 40A continuous charging. The mobile EVSE (UMC) that comes with all new Teslas (S and X models included) is limited to 32A, however. Older Tesla UMCs apparently were capable of 40A charging. Not sure why they changed the design, perhaps for safety reasons?

I use an OpenEVSE with a NEMA 14-50 cord and it works fine at 40A.

The standard 120v outlet is generally insufficient unless you drive less than 20-30 miles a day. Most people don't buy cars to not drive them unless they are Lamborghinis or something. If your Model 3 is going to be your daily driver, you should not attempt to rely on a 120v outlet for home charging.

This is totally correct and I am quoting for emphasis. I wouldn't buy an EV if you have no access to level 2 charging.

The Model S/X can actually charge up to 40A from the included mobile charging units because their batteries are bigger than the ones in the 3. This is largely immaterial, time to full charge from empty is comparable between S/X and 3, roughly 8-10 hours when connected to a NEMA 14-50. This decreases to roughly 6 hours when connected to the Wall Connector. Not a big difference. Most people pay the $500 for the Wall Connector because it looks cool in their garage, not because they really need the increased charge rate.

The long range 3 is capable of charging at 48A on level 2 (and I get the full 40A from my EVSE). The standard range 3 is reportedly only capable at charging at 32A. Model S and X's charging speed can vary depending on when it was manufactured and which options are enabled. Recent ones seem to come at minimum with 48A chargers, with 72A chargers on the larger battery variants.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Also -- your garage may only have 20A circuits, and if so you may need them to put in a new 50A circuit in addition to wiring the outlet. That's what I did.

For the EVSE, I bought an eMoterWerks JuiceBox pro, which has nice app controls and a really long, thick cable. Has a max charge rate of 40A which is better than the 32A my Bolt can handle at 240V. If you went with something like that rather than the Tesla wall connector, you'd need the J1772A adapter (https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-sae-j1772-charging-adapter.html) but you're going to want that anyway to maximize your charging opportunities.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Also -- your garage may only have 20A circuits, and if so you may need them to put in a new 50A circuit in addition to wiring the outlet. That's what I did.

For the EVSE, I bought an eMoterWerks JuiceBox pro, which has nice app controls and a really long, thick cable. Has a max charge rate of 40A which is better than the 32A my Bolt can handle at 240V. If you went with something like that rather than the Tesla wall connector, you'd need the J1772A adapter (https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-sae-j1772-charging-adapter.html) but you're going to want that anyway to maximize your charging opportunities.

Another thing to consider is that the service to your house may need to be upgraded to handle the additional load of an EV charging + all the other electrical loads in your house.

Also, one J1772A adapter comes with a new Tesla, but it might be handy to buy a spare.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I had an electrician install an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet for mine. I found them off of Teslas site. It was more expensive than I would have liked because my panel was all the way on the opposite end of the house so they had to use 50 ft of 6 gauge wire and do some updates to my panel, but it works well and looks ok.

KMHvYWz.jpg

PS - Boy do i need to get my house re-painted.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Can charging rate be controlled via the car regardless of which 240V charger you use?

I'm testing a demand rate for my local power company, so my monthly charge is based more on peak demand versus total consumption. I'll never want to exceed 20A at 240V.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure.

On another note, I just got the email my car is ready to be ordered!!!!

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks.

All my CC's have their statement periods end this weekend. Hopefully waiting until Monday to put the order and $2500 deposit in doesn't bump me too far back.

Seems to be a lot of factors outside your control which determine when you get your car. Maynerd and I configured our cars within an hour of each other but he got his car 2 weeks before I did. They held California deliveries until the end of the quarter because shipping time would be less. Different color/wheel combos get built in batches so you could get lucky or unlucky there. Basically you waiting a few days will have much less of an impact than whatever Tesla does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I wanna think of a new name for the OT. Any suggestions?

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Got my email inviting me to configure last night but didn't notice until this morning. The timing is extremely weird considering I'm heading to Chicago this Monday to put my ass in the seat of a Model 3 to see if I even fit!

Also I wouldn't be getting this fully kitted out model regardless. Still holding out for either long range without the premium upgrades or AWD.