• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's crazy how fast it went from smoking to fires of hell

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Was it over charged, or a bad outlet

Overpriced

Seinfeld.png

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Imagine sitting in that. One second you see smoke rising and the next you're surrounded by flames.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine sitting in that. One second you see smoke rising and the next you're surrounded by flames.
Bigger problem is also these fires are practically impossible to put out. One of the techniques for putting out a fire in electric cars involves putting out the fire, then putting it in a container full of water for a day.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Thermal runaway is so damn scary and a major obstacle to EV adoptance. And the fires can reignite and burn for days after. We need better fire prevention, fire fighting methods, and awareness. It's not just a Tesla problem, many EVs have the entire floor covered in batteries.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found some corroded batteries in a drawer this morning. Good reminder that dense packages of volatile chemicals should be treated with respect. I'm no Tesla defender - but every single gas auto is a millisecond or static spark or human error away from this and worse every time you fill up at a gas station. In fact, cars just straight up "spontaneously" catch fire all the time. This one was hard to watch though.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I found some corroded batteries in a drawer this morning. Good reminder that dense packages of volatile chemicals should be treated with respect. I'm no Tesla defender - but every single gas auto is a millisecond or static spark or human error away from this and worse every time you fill up at a gas station. In fact, cars just straight up "spontaneously" catch fire all the time. This one was hard to watch though.

I don't what happened, but i had a remote that got hot to the touch, open it up and the batteries are swelling up. I didn't just throw them in the trash. I took them outside and threw them into the garbage bin and rolled it to the road away from the house.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The man is running an American company and trying to make the world a better place. He's not perfect, but you don't have to attack in an 'us vs. them' way.

I'm not going to put this man on a pedestal because he's a privileged white guy with problematic issues and his fans are rabid. This incident was posted and it's cause for concern, yet you come in defending him like you're Grimes... sorry, c.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017

How fragile. Like two people "shat on Tesla" and you went on a youtube/google/whatever rush to point to the other guys.

The man is running an American company and trying to make the world a better place. He's not perfect, but you don't have to attack in an 'us vs. them' way.

"The man" needs to be protected from all criticism about his endeavors what-so-ever, apparently. What on Earth.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't what happened, but i had a remote that got hot to the touch, open it up and the batteries are swelling up. I didn't just throw them in the trash. I took them outside and threw them into the garbage bin and rolled it to the road away from the house.

We have battery recycling at work otherwise I would just straight up become the Toxic Avenger AKA Hamish Beamish.

circuitry

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: antagonising other members
I'm not going to put this man on a pedestal because he's a privileged white guy with problematic issues and his fans are rabid. This incident was posted and it's cause for concern, yet you come in defending him like you're Grimes... sorry, c.

He worked his ass off to be where he is now. His detractors are just as rabid.

How fragile. Like two people "shat on Tesla" and you went on a youtube/google/whatever rush to point to the other guys.

I did so because this forum has never given Elon a fair shake, and apparently never will.

Won't be commenting on Tesla threads anymore because there's apparently no good discourse to be had. Enjoy your echo-chamber, people.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

The dude was recording the cars initially, but then stopped recording when the fire started? Fire him.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I did so because this forum has never given Elon a fair shake, and apparently never will.

Won't be commenting on Tesla threads anymore because there's apparently no good discourse to be had. Enjoy your echo-chamber, people.

27 posts since 2017. Upset that a white privileged man isn't getting a fair shake and is being unfairly treated. Yep, checks out.

See ya sis.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

Two people took very mild jabs, and you went into defensive mode in an instant and now start complaining about an echo chamber. No good discourse indeed.

"He worked his ass off"
tumblr_mpaqgy0fUv1sxk8zwo1_400.gif

...sorry, Elon, leave Elon alone. Ya know, because you're on first name terms with the guy. Lord knows the multi-billionaires need an army of anonymous forum defenders to feel secure.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

The hubris on this one. You literally come in here and derail the thread before anyone can even comment, and when people call you out on it YOU'RE the victim. Not gonna fool anyone with that act.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question... are Tesla vehicles more prone to explosion than ICE vehicles?

Obviously any vehicle explosion is cause for concern, but I'm just wondering if the make of this particular vehicle should make it particularly news worthy.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Thermal runaway is so damn scary and a major obstacle to EV adoptance. And the fires can reignite and burn for days after. We need better fire prevention, fire fighting methods, and awareness. It's not just a Tesla problem, many EVs have the entire floor covered in batteries.
Damaged battery can also cause instant fire. No wonder that if you get rear ended in a EV, car must go through extensive checks if batteries are not damaged.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question... are Tesla vehicles more prone to explosion than ICE vehicles?
Probably not. Heck, they're probably less likely to catch fire, what with fuel being insanely inflammable.
However, as others have already noted, EV (not just Teslas, all EVs) fires are a tad more annoying than ICE fires, because the fire can restart for several days. And, what with EVs being relatively new (compared to ICE), they get more attention.

Some people are very aggressive to Tesla true, but still, most (not insanely bad) Tesla news gets rather fair discussions from most people over here. It's just not a pro-Tesla echo-chamber, like many tech enthusiast forums are.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dude was recording the cars initially, but then stopped recording when the fire started? Fire him.

He's a typical American UFO/Ghost witness. To be fair if you've ever watched any movie ever, you know that the Gas Station is abouit to explode and take out three city blocks. The fact that there are two Lamborghinis there only solidifies this fact. This guy is exactly who you want doing stuff ina. Horror movie, so I am giving him a pass.

BTW Elon Musk is obviously not babysitter or president material and frankly should STFU, but his primary legacy can be thought of as accelerating the world car industry to electricity potentially years faster than they would have left to their own devices. He's like Steve Jobs in that regard - not a good person or an inventor etc but a powerful effect on the progress of a technology through force of personality.

I think that everyone should look at his infrastructure "solutions" through a lens of "OK but are distributed dense urban cities the future? And is connecting them all to move people there quickly via land worth a 100 year investment?" I certainly see the utility in my lifetime but I'd be shocked if drone-type aerotech and high powered torque small power plants didn't supersede highways and even rail for movng goods and people in a century or so. We are pretty bad at guessing how growing technology will end up working in the real world but we're great at making it better. If we don't have some energy singularities in the next 100 years or so - and some very difficult population conversations, it's potentially moot anyway and we'll have to go back to guzzleine.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously any vehicle explosion is cause for concern, but I'm just wondering if the make of this particular vehicle should make it particularly news worthy.

It's news worthy because conventional fire extinguishing techniques don't work on a lithium battery fire.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least the dude isn't using someone's post count as an argument and dismissal. That's some 12 year old, ivory tower, shit.

I can't tell you how many time are I've seen dudes with similar post counts complain that someone privileged isn't being treated fairly or throws out some other nonsense. Sorry but I'm going to call it like I see it. If you have a problem sis, there's an ignore button. Thank you.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't tell you how many time are I've seen dudes with similar post counts complain that someone privileged isn't being treated fairly or throws out some other nonsense. Sorry but I'm going to call it like I see it. If you have a problem sis, there's the ignore button below my post. Thank you.
Ditto, just calling it like I see it. His post count has nothing to do with anything, his actual posts do

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

https://autoweek.com/article/recalls/kia-and-hyundai-owners-file-class-action-lawsuit-engine-fires

Not really, but when Tesla is the subject of the conversation then Era will find a way to make it look like bigger problem than it is.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing irrational of being afraid of dangerous shit you actually found happening. Just as it is not irrational to think a yellowjacket might sting you. The only irrational part is "might."
I don't even like messing around in my computer after i fried a piece of ram. That smell of ozone never quite leaves your memory