• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto, just calling it like I see it. His post count has nothing to do with anything, his actual posts do
Nope. Low post counts are (sometimes) pretty big indicators of alts. As much as you want to act deny reality lol.

Luckily mods seem to be able to tell when someone's got an alt and ban accordingly. So it's whatever.

Back on topic, that fire is fucking crazy. Like 0 to 100.And it'll burn way longer than non EV fires. Fuck. That's a huge turn off of EV being adopted in the mainstream. Damn.

Edit: I'll be fair. Sometimes.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. Heck, they're probably less likely to catch fire, what with fuel being insanely inflammable.
However, as others have already noted, EV (not just Teslas, all EVs) fires are a tad more annoying than ICE fires, because the fire can restart for several days. And, what with EVs being relatively new (compared to ICE), they get more attention.

That electric fires are only "a tad more annoying" is a massive downplaying on your part lol.

On topic:
Given that BMW just recalled another hundred thousand cars related to fire concerns make me believe a couple Tesla's burning to the ground might not be all that bad. Give it time, in a couple of years solid state batteries will make this a non issue.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least the dude isn't using someone's post count as an argument and dismissal. That's some 12 year old, ivory tower, shit.

Post count is not in and of itself an issue, but it might lead to an easy examination of prior content, and it often reveals a burner account. In this case about 30% of his posts are about Musk - but 30% are about hiding threads, so he might literally just be someone who only wants to read about a very few subjects and his tolerance for critical discussion of Musk is demonstrated here and in his overall post count, so it's valuable context for his position.

However, there's nothing wrong with using a forum tool to decide how to engage a poster (or not) in an environment rife with trolls, burners and drive by account suicides (not ResetEra specifically but the whole internet). It's not rare enough to ignore as an aspect of rhetoric here, especially when you're passionate or serious about a subject and might be getting drawn into a waste of your time.

Personally the only time I ever even look at post count is when I click on a poster's history to see what their perspective is when they drop a confounding or disingenuous post. Per the normal forum functionality. Mine are there for everyone to see because I either stand by what I said or am happy to acknowledge I previously held that position. It's a way for me to contextualize my own evolution and education.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Honest question... are Tesla vehicles more prone to explosion than ICE vehicles?

Obviously any vehicle explosion is cause for concern, but I'm just wondering if the make of this particular vehicle should make it particularly news worthy.
No, they're not. But it's news worthy because it's a Tesla.

Any other car make and we wouldn't even know about it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the "hurr what about" posts remind me of trump supporters deflecting to hillary's emails when cornered

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thermal runaway is fucking scary. I remember having to do some research for work on it and it more or less comes down to time, tons of water and monitoring.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
As a Model 3 owner, this is troubling. The car itself is so good, driving a typical gas car feels like a total step down. I'm amazed at how good the battery performance is. But I do hope this was a random accident and is not an underlying defect.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see how often this happens to Teslas vs some other brands of ICE cars.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Shit it perfect and the technology is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things

Curious what kind of safety measures are implemented from the inside of the vehicle if this were to happen when someone was driving. All vehicles have some form of a firewall.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tesla Model S came out in 2012... It's only new tech for the legacy auto industry that's still struggling and or refusing to put out EVs in anything but compliance numbers.
Compared to gas powered cars its still new tech, and one that will get better and change a lot year over year. Market penetration is still minimal etc.
Don't know what other carmakers EV strategy have anything to do with that conversation.

+ I just linked to a place that reported an i3 catching fire, a car released five years ago...Nobody is reporting a fiat burning down in italy any longer.. Because thats old tech, old news.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. Heck, they're probably less likely to catch fire, what with fuel being insanely inflammable.
However, as others have already noted, EV (not just Teslas, all EVs) fires are a tad more annoying than ICE fires, because the fire can restart for several days. And, what with EVs being relatively new (compared to ICE), they get more attention.

Some people are very aggressive to Tesla true, but still, most (not insanely bad) Tesla news gets rather fair discussions from most people over here. It's just not a pro-Tesla echo-chamber, like many tech enthusiast forums are.
It's news worthy because conventional fire extinguishing techniques don't work on a lithium battery fire.
https://autoweek.com/article/recalls/kia-and-hyundai-owners-file-class-action-lawsuit-engine-fires

Not really, but when Tesla is the subject of the conversation then Era will find a way to make it look like bigger problem than it is.

Thanks for the replies.

I gotta say, I imagine that the disproportionate coverage Tesla get makes it difficult for the average consumer to truly educate themselves on the benefits and risks of the technology.

Your average Joe Shmoe is will buy an ICE and never once conside that it might spontaneously burn up. But here I am eyeing a 3, but worried that it might burn my house down- and I've bought several ICE cars since my brothers car burned up on the side of the highway.

It's the same with auto-pilot. The road is littered with 16yr olds and older people who don't have the reaction ability to safely traverse, and all sorts of people in between those ages who's have no business driving. But thanks to a few high profile accidents, we're all up at arms at the prospect of a computer doing the heavily lifting.

It's totally bizarre, but I get it, given how new the tech is.

Anyway, is there anything the fire responders and manufactures are doing to better address EV fires?

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
The problem with e cars is that firefighters can't do much except watching how the e cars burn out.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
And this comes after i read an article earlier this week about the waste of materials and dysfunction at the Tesla shared Panasonic battery plant. The article had the Panasonic workers detailing the choas within the facility and lack of safety measures.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Shit it perfect and the technology is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things

Curious what kind of safety measures are implemented from the inside of the vehicle if this were to happen when someone was driving. All vehicles have some form of a firewall.
Fires like these are rapid and extremely volatile and you have a few seconds to stop the vehicle and get as far away as you can. Fire will burn directly beneath your seat.
Now imagine instant battery combustion while traveling at 150 km/h on the highway. Not a most pleasant thought.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Roughly 5% of posts in this thead:
(gif of elon smoking)
Yep. Batteries can do that. Tesla needs to step its game up. Shit like this can be deadly as fuck.
And I'm being generous... Sorry Mammoth and Hollywood =P.

And yet:
He worked his ass off to be where he is now. His detractors are just as rabid.

I did so because this forum has never given Elon a fair shake, and apparently never will.

Won't be commenting on Tesla threads anymore because there's apparently no good discourse to be had. Enjoy your echo-chamber, people.
Tesla hate around here is pretty weird.
https://autoweek.com/article/recalls/kia-and-hyundai-owners-file-class-action-lawsuit-engine-fires

Not really, but when Tesla is the subject of the conversation then Era will find a way to make it look like bigger problem than it is.

Yep it's a Tesla thread alright.
shh

dont ruin the narrative that this is the final nail on the TESLA COFFIN

In conclusion:
Some people are very aggressive to Tesla true, but still, most (not insanely bad) Tesla news gets rather fair discussions from most people over here. It's just not a pro-Tesla echo-chamber, like many tech enthusiast forums are.

Oct 25, 2017
He worked his ass off to be where he is now. His detractors are just as rabid.

I did so because this forum has never given Elon a fair shake, and apparently never will.

Won't be commenting on Tesla threads anymore because there's apparently no good discourse to be had. Enjoy your echo-chamber, people.
It's not my fault that Elon is a piece of shit anti-union capitalist. Let me know when he actually does something to make this world a better place that doesn't involve throwing the working class under the buss perpetually while he and his uber-rich friends fly off into space.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
having witnessed thermal run away on smaller devices, this is scary as a 3 owner. not as scary as tesla devotees tho

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Roughly 5% of posts in this thead:

And I'm being generous... Sorry Mammoth and Hollywood =P.

And yet:

In conclusion:

No worries. I'm not a hater or really a lover of Tesla or Elon Musk. I do think this type of car needs to be developed and iterated on. Sure it'll be the high-end market but ideally in within the next century it'll be commonplace. The long term goal is for people one day to view the internal combustion engine the same way we view horse and carriage now:

"Ew, how did people manage with all that shit everywhere?"

Now if that's Tesla or not who knows. I certainly don't but I'm down for anything that can ditch gas AND provide the power I need when driving. Progress isn't perfect. But Tesla doesn't get a pass cause they're "trying". It's ok to expect better. Doubly so when a battery fire spreads quick as shit. I mean, if people were in that car it's just a clusterfuck.

Oct 26, 2017
The cars have already been tested to generally be extremely safe to drive, but man when something does go wrong it goes wrong badly. Lithium battery fires are no joke.

Battery safety needs to be a top priority, not just for Tesla but also for other upcoming manufacturers, especially as the popularity, range and infrastructure for EV grows.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the poster is telling the truth. Why the hate on Tesla?

He's not speaking any truth, there's no woke conversation that he's bringing up and if that's your takeaway from this entire thread, then I don't know what to tell you.

Lay off the cringe dude.

How is cringe to argue in good faith against those who love entitled elitist white billionaires and their shitty attitudes and practices?

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
huh.... guess they got lucky this happened in China and not in the US, for PR reasons obviously

The man is running an American company and trying to make the world a better place. He's not perfect, but you don't have to attack in an 'us vs. them' way.

I didn't intend to reply to this nonsense... but than I read it again, and I've got to ask: why exactly does it matter that he's running "an American company"? Are those beyond criticism somehow?

And this comes after i read an article earlier this week about the waste of materials and dysfunction at the Tesla shared Panasonic battery plant. The article had the Panasonic workers detailing the choas within the facility and lack of safety measures.

mind to share? I think I missed that