• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, uh, how do you play this?

I just downloaded and gave it a try. How do you attack other players? And how do you defend from attacks?

I have a good start and then my screen starts filling up with grey blocks due to other players and I have no idea what to do. There's no guide anywhere in game.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I don't know if you guys saw this :

I really like how Tetris 99 is the bridge between casual gaming and hardcore e-sport. It also shows that these two are sometimes not that far away from each other.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
After messing around with this more, I've come to realize that this just isn't for me. I love Tetris. Well, classic Tetris. The new style that encourages T-Spins just isn't how I like to play. Glad it's doing well and encouraging more NSO subs!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've probably peaked here, best I've ever done. It just got too fast for me.

DziUrhFVAAEc-Fx.jpg:orig

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just downloaded and gave it a try. How do you attack other players? And how do you defend from attacks?

I have a good start and then my screen starts filling up with grey blocks due to other players and I have no idea what to do. There's no guide anywhere in game.

You attack by clearing lines. That sends blocks to the player you're targeting. You can auto target players who are attacking you, players close to being knocked out, etc, with the right stick.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

By default, your targeting is random. Every set of lines you clear, sends "damage", or garbage lines, to another player. You can see who you're attacking by the green targeting hexagon on the field. You can see who's attacking you by the yellow lines coming from the field to the bottom of your screen.
You can choose whom to attack manually with the left stick, or pick a method of automatic targeting with the right. (or vice versa, if you choose the other control pattern in options)
R-stick up is "KOs", the autotarget will pick players closest to being knocked out.
R-stick left is "Random" the default setting.
R-stick right is "Badges", targeting players who have the most KO badges (and are thus the most threatening, the badges multiply damage).
R-stick down is "Counter", and will target every player who is targeting you.

A stack of blocks to the left of your play area indicates incoming damage. Colored blocks indicate imminent garbage lines, coloring from yellow to red. These count down placed blocks rather than time, so rushing is ill-advised. Red flashing blocks indicate the garbage lines will appear as soon as you place the next block. Any lines you clear while you have incoming damage, will clear incoming damage instead of damaging another player - thus the way to defend is to stay ready to clear lines once you see a mass of incoming damage.
Grey blocks in the damage indicator show a stack of damage from another player - two players can't simultaneously drop active damage on you, the greyed damage will only become active once the ongoing colored damage clears. It will activate all at once though, so be ready.

Generally the way to stay in the running later in the match is making sure you have the maximum four badges, as this maximizes your "damage" both for offense and defense - so it may be a good idea to use "badges" targeting at some point to collect your victims' badges. Using the "counter" targeting mode also multiplies your damage output, making it a good mode to use in the midgame, or any other time a lot of people are attacking you and you need the extra damage to defend yourself.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By default, your targeting is random. Every set of lines you clear, sends "damage", or garbage lines, to another player. You can see who you're attacking by the green targeting hexagon on the field. You can see who's attacking you by the yellow lines coming from the field to the bottom of your screen.
You can choose whom to attack manually with the left stick, or pick a method of automatic targeting with the right. (or vice versa, if you choose the other control pattern in options)
R-stick up is "KOs", the autotarget will pick players closest to being knocked out.
R-stick left is "Random" the default setting.
R-stick right is "Badges", targeting players who have the most KO badges (and are thus the most threatening, the badges multiply damage).
R-stick down is "Counter", and will target every player who is targeting you.

A stack of blocks to the left of your play area indicates incoming damage. Colored blocks indicate imminent garbage lines, coloring from yellow to red. These count down placed blocks rather than time, so rushing is ill-advised. Red flashing blocks indicate the garbage lines will appear as soon as you place the next block. Any lines you clear while you have incoming damage, will clear incoming damage instead of damaging another player - thus the way to defend is to stay ready to clear lines once you see a mass of incoming damage.
Grey blocks in the damage indicator show a stack of damage from another player - two players can't simultaneously drop active damage on you, the greyed damage will only become active once the ongoing colored damage clears. It will activate all at once though, so be ready.

Generally the way to stay in the running later in the match is making sure you have the maximum four badges, as this maximizes your "damage" both for offense and defense - so it may be a good idea to use "badges" targeting at some point to collect your victims' badges. Using the "counter" targeting mode also multiplies your damage output, making it a good mode to use in the midgame, or any other time a lot of people are attacking you and you need the extra damage to defend yourself.

One thing I don't quite understand is why you wouldn't always be targeting attackers if that gives you a multiplier. What's the downside?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
One thing I don't quite understand is why you wouldn't always be targeting attackers if that gives you a multiplier. What's the downside?
Because it gives you a multiplier based on how many people are targeting you, but it also splits the outgoing damage total between them, and it's not equivalent - i.e. you're still hurting each individual player less than if you'd have focused on one. It's great for defense, but it's terrible for offense unless you already have some badges to stack the multiplier, and line up a bunch of tetrises to really punish them.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i've been waiting for the perfect time to redeem my nintendo online code. nevermind smash/pokemon/mario....

i need to play tetris.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
After messing around with this more, I've come to realize that this just isn't for me. I love Tetris. Well, classic Tetris. The new style that encourages T-Spins just isn't how I like to play. Glad it's doing well and encouraging more NSO subs!
Somewhat agree. It's called "Tetris" (get four lines) and not "T-spin Triple."

I'm still having a blast though.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it gives you a multiplier based on how many people are targeting you, but it also splits the outgoing damage total between them, and it's not equivalent - i.e. you're still hurting each individual player less than if you'd have focused on one. It's great for defense, but it's terrible for offense unless you already have some badges to stack the multiplier, and line up a bunch of tetrises to really punish them.

Ok, I see. But what about Random targeting? How can that ever be better than targeting KOs or Badges?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just won five games in a row, figure I'll stop for a bit to give others a chance. Hah. In all seriousness I never in a million years thought there would be a BR game that I could actually hang in.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get "badges." Also don't get how I'm actually battling other players. Is there something I need to do to send them junk, or do I just play Tetris like normal?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't get "badges." Also don't get how I'm actually battling other players. Is there something I need to do to send them junk, or do I just play Tetris like normal?

Well, you do know that playing "Tetris as normal" means clearing more lines at once as fast as you can, not just surviving by clearing out singles at a time right? I find a lot of casual Tetris fans have no idea the whole point is to clear 4 lines in a row (ie. a Tetris). Better performance = more garbage sent to other people.

Single line clears help you survive but they're not that impressive so you don't send garbage for it.

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
I played the game and "if you run into someone" really good. You are done for.

The game is really fun though...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you do know that playing "Tetris as normal" means clearing more lines at once as fast as you can, not just surviving by clearing out singles at a time right? I find a lot of casual Tetris fans have no idea the whole point is to clear 4 lines in a row (ie. a Tetris). Better performance = more garbage sent to other people.

Single line clears help you survive but they're not that impressive so you don't send garbage for it.
Yeah I know that part for getting high score, but the multiplayer aspect of Tetris is entirely foreign to me.

How do I attack other players? Defend? etc.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Ok, I see. But what about Random targeting? How can that ever be better than targeting KOs or Badges?
Random targeting is indiscriminate. It'll almost always land useful damage, and may occasionally score you an unexpected KO.
KOs targeting is prioritizing players near knockout, but since it's less random it means more people will be competing for dealing the last bit of damage. Since damage from multiple players is not simultaneous, your damage output may be spent in vain this way - and it's possible that a player "near knockout" is merely stacking up a combo, leading to you getting hammered by a counter.
Badges targeting runs into the latter problem as well - targeting someone with more badges is good if you want to get those badges, but a priori that means that your target has scored numerous KOs themselves - and has a damage multiplier as well as a bit of skill. If you end up being the only one targeting them, their entire damage output may end up landing on you if they're targeting attackers.
It's a threat/risk/reward thing. Random targeting is safest and most consistent but less useful and is mainly there for when you can't decide who to manually target. KOs is decent offensive targeting but may lead to wasted damage or lead you into a trap. Badges is aggressive targeting for when you know what you're doing since you're literally targeting the most threatening people on the board. And counter-targeting is primarily defensive unless you've got the means to do massive damage.
Badges are basically your 'loot' or 'experience'. The more you have, the higher your damage multiplier. You get badge fragments for scoring KOs, you score KOs by being the last person to send damage to a player before they lose, you send damage by clearing lines, the more the merrier. You can choose who your damage goes to with either the left stick (manually) or the right stick (automatic, outlined above). That's the gist of the "battle" part of the game.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah I know that part for getting high score, but the multiplayer aspect of Tetris is entirely foreign to me.

How do I attack other players? Defend? etc.

Think of aiming for higher scores as the same as attacking other players. Not quite the same, but roughly so. Clear more lines at once, clear lines continuously back-to-back or in a "combo" without interruptions, do fancy moves like "t-spins", = send more garbage. The main wrinkle in this game is choosing who you target, which is a bit new. Usually it's just automatic.

Defence is just, clear lines. Garbage you send counteracts garbage they send. It's not that complicated, unless you dig really deep into it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm not into the whole T-spin thing and never do it, but still do pretty well. I mean, there are definitely the players I'll never be able to beat, but yeah, getting Tetrises like you would in the old days, especially back to back, can do you really well.

I also like to do the 3-wide well combo, that can be a giant killer, but it's riskier in this game where you need to be immediately aggressive.

Here's the 4 wide well combo:

I am not brave enough to do it lol so I settle with 3 which is still a killer.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Badges are basically your 'loot' or 'experience'. The more you have, the higher your damage multiplier. You get badge fragments for scoring KOs, you score KOs by being the last person to send damage to a player before they lose, you send damage by clearing lines, the more the merrier. You can choose who your damage goes to with either the left stick (manually) or the right stick (automatic, outlined above). That's the gist of the "battle" part of the game.
...so then why would anyone ever target anything other than KO's? Why is there even an option?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Nah, bonuses for multiple attackers get significantly higher with more and more attackers to the point that, even with the even split, you're still outputting way more garbage per attacker than you received per attacker. The main reason you shouldn't stay on attackers is because it's not an overtly offensive strategy and doesn't improve your odds of placing better as much getting easy KOs and eliminating badges does.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you need to be able to defend yourself as you will be outnumbered by people simultaneously attacking you and will die if you don't.
meh. This seems way too complicated.

Are you saying I need to target individual people? Or just change the automated thing with right stick? If it's individual I'll just quit now, I can barely even see all those little boards around the screen.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
meh. This seems way too complicated.

Are you saying I need to target individual people? Or just change the automated thing with right stick? If it's individual I'll just quit now, I can barely even see all those little boards around the screen.

You don't need to do it manually. Each of the options will automatically carry out the targeting strategy you designate them to.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random targeting is indiscriminate. It'll almost always land useful damage, and may occasionally score you an unexpected KO.
KOs targeting is prioritizing players near knockout, but since it's less random it means more people will be competing for dealing the last bit of damage. Since damage from multiple players is not simultaneous, your damage output may be spent in vain this way - and it's possible that a player "near knockout" is merely stacking up a combo, leading to you getting hammered by a counter.
Badges targeting runs into the latter problem as well - targeting someone with more badges is good if you want to get those badges, but a priori that means that your target has scored numerous KOs themselves - and has a damage multiplier as well as a bit of skill. If you end up being the only one targeting them, their entire damage output may end up landing on you if they're targeting attackers.
It's a threat/risk/reward thing. Random targeting is safest and most consistent but less useful and is mainly there for when you can't decide who to manually target. KOs is decent offensive targeting but may lead to wasted damage or lead you into a trap. Badges is aggressive targeting for when you know what you're doing since you're literally targeting the most threatening people on the board. And counter-targeting is primarily defensive unless you've got the means to do massive damage.

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Now if I could only learn how to set up T-spins... Those do the most damage right, more than Tetrises?

Also, one thing I've been thinking about: Since the point is being the last one left, is it actually a good thing to try to clear lines quickly? The better you play, the more likely you are to get targeted (except randomly), right? So at least at the start it seems like you might actually be better off letting every piece fall as slowly as possible and letting the others take each other out. But I guess it's like other BR games, where hiding out somewhere can get you pretty far, but you'll be underpowered for the endgame.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
But I guess it's like other BR games, where hiding out somewhere can get you pretty far, but you'll be underpowered for the endgame.
Exactly. If you don't push for badges at some point, either by getting KOs or looking for people who have badges and taking them on, then by the endgame you just won't have the 'firepower' to defend or attack properly.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Nintendo right now, right after I sold my Switch they come out with this game. I was able to play some of it and this would have been the game to keep the Switch for.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. If you don't push for badges at some point, either by getting KOs or looking for people who have badges and taking them on, then by the endgame you just won't have the 'firepower' to defend or attack properly.
The medals also seem like sort of like Margin Time from Puyo Puyo, where after long enough chains send more and more garbage, to get the match to actually end. Here, as people get more medals, fights near the end of a match have much less margin for error.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Somewhat agree. It's called "Tetris" (get four lines) and not "T-spin Triple."

I'm still having a blast though.
You can get pretty far by just playing fast. I rarely t-spin (never triple) and win about a third of the time.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
You can get pretty far by just playing fast. I rarely t-spin (never triple) and win about a third of the time.

For reasons I cannot figure out, playing the way I play classic Tetris, I place in the 20's or so regularly. It drives me nuts because when I'm playing NES Tetris, I'm scoring 200k+ regularly and "practice" on 12/15/18 (still have trouble juggling 19). Like I said, game just isn't for me I guess. I'll still touch it once in a while, but I prefer my NES setup to be honest.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
For reasons I cannot figure out, playing the way I play classic Tetris, I place in the 20's or so regularly. It drives me nuts because when I'm playing NES Tetris, I'm scoring 200k+ regularly and "practice" on 12/15/18 (still have trouble juggling 19). Like I said, game just isn't for me I guess. I'll still touch it once in a while, but I prefer my NES setup to be honest.
I could see vs Tetris being different enough from single player to not be for everyone. You can largely play the same and still do pretty well if you're fast enough, but towards the extreme end (which T99 reaches) you at least have to be able to handle opponent garbage well.

Beyond that are the specific techniques that help like chains (consecutive clears), 2-4 wide gaps (makes chaining easier), then the various complexity t-spins (I rarely do doubles when I see an easy setup, and can't do triples). Even then for me that's more early/mid game stuff to try to take people out cause it can get risky to build up high late game.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I really don't get why some of you are so picky about the game.

Tetris has gotten more complex, ok, but I bet that if it would've stayed the same since the game boy times you would probably also complain.

This is a super fun, accessible but at the same time deep rewarding game with a very high skill ceiling.

I know its an annoying meme but, try to get good, guys! It's fun trying anyways. Practice, see how day by day you get closer to the 50th, 10th, 1st spot.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Lol. You've only played Tetris, I was there when it was RELEASED
Yeah, but then again : so was my dad, and he's not really a hardcore gamer by the common definition. Tetris is one of the few games he plays constantly, so, yeah, I'm more a gamer than he ever will be, but that doesn't prevent him from kicking my ass at it.

This is the e-sport I really like. You'll lose to some Tetris Grand Masters, and then you'll lose to some soccer mom who played Tetris all her life, starting on the Game Boy then on a Flash game then on Facebook Games then on her phone. I really like the fact that winners can come from litteraly anywhere.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but then again : so was my dad, and he's not really a hardcore gamer by the common definition. Tetris is one of the few games he plays constantly, so, yeah, I'm more a gamer than he ever will be, but that doesn't prevent him from kicking my ass at it.

This is the e-sport I really like. You'll lose to some Tetris Grand Masters, and then you'll lose to some soccer mom who played Tetris all her life, starting on the Game Boy then on a Flash game then on Facebook Games then on her phone. I really like the fact that winners can come from litteraly anywhere.
Absolutely, it speaks to the magic that is Tetris

Oct 27, 2017
This game taught me that Tetris has combos. Actually Tetris Effect was trying to teach me that, but I assumed it was just for one mode. Nope, combo scoring is available in normal modes too. So enlightening. Also, anyone that thinks this game gets fast when there's 10 players left obviously haven't played Tetris Effect. This game is slow compared to how fast TE gets. This game imo controls so much better than TE though. I hope the rumor that Marathon mode is coming to this game is true. I'd love to play this game without worrying about the constant attacks.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I've been grinding hard on this for the last day. I'm an old Tetris head from the days of Tetrinet and this is a direct extension of that.

I've gotten #2 like 5 times, and in the top 5 probably 20 times, but no #1s yet. It's so damn random. Sometimes you have an easy time of things and you're killing guys left and right, and sometimes 6 dudes are after you at once from the start. Tetris 99 gives no fucks about your feelings.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'll probably never win a match, but I can consistently get top 20 and I have no idea what a t spin is or how the garbage stuff works. I put mine on attackers targeting me and don't give it another thought. This is fun though and I'm excited for more games like this for the online service. Despite the terrible d-pad on the pro controller I'm having fun

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I didn't even know that t-spins are a thing. Why should I even care about t-spins? I already played about 50 rounds and still have zero t-spins.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Of all the games I've played thus far, I think my stats say I've only ever done one T-Spin Single (probably by accident) and I've managed to get a fair few 2nd/3rd place finishes. Haven't won yet but I don't think mastering the T-Spin is pinnacle to winning. I rarely find myself in a position where that's the only viable strategy if I'm being honest