jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I made 4th place my second game. Haven't cracked the top 25 since:( Every match seems the same. All is going ok, then in a span of 3 seconds, BAM! Game over.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
Between Tetris effect and this. We are in tetris heaven. This game is so fun.

Now we need Mario Kart 99, Bomberman 99, Smash Bros 99.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Where is this GIF from?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This game is giving me heartburn tonight lol

I get so nervous once I get into the top 20 and start panicking.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone made a thread for the Datamining of the game? Apparently the planned updates come with:

-
https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1096207822285611009

"Team Battle": Two giant teams clash. Be on the winning side!"
- "COM Battle": "Battle against 98 bots. Defeat the machines!" (supports both 99 Battle and Team Battle)
- "Marathon": score attack -> 200 lines or endless

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone have any thoughts on the visual design of Tetris 99?

After Tetris Effect, and even Puyo Puyo, I feel that it's a little lacking in comparison. Even the fonts don't seem that nice.

Maybe it's just Arika's style and I'm out of the loop on their style of Tetris.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
"I'll just play a match and be done for the night."
*1 hour later*
God this game is addicting, went from level 2 to 11, unaware of where the time has gone. Highest placement for me is 10, which is where it gets crazy once you get within the top 15. Everything is moving fast, opponents attacking you, all while trying to clear garbage; who knew battle royale Tetris could be so addicting. I watched the Puyo Puyo Tetris tips and I really need to try them out. Every time I get within top 15 I start making mistakes that compound on each other causing me to lose within three tetromino drops.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

After Tetris Effect, and even Puyo Puyo, I feel that it's a little lacking in comparison. Even the fonts don't seem that nice.

Well Tetris Effect is the pinnacle of tetris design, it's not fair to compare to that.

But yes, I'm with you. It's pretty bare bones. But hey, it's tetris, from Russia.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the controls sticks and shoulder buttons actually for?

I don't know why but moving the left stick to where I want (ie picking an opponent) doesn't always work?

Or is it the right stick that controls that?

It was jarring at first using the D-Pad. I might even break out a retro controller for this if sticks aren't necessary.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
"I'll just play a match and be done for the night."
*1 hour later*
God this game is addicting, went from level 2 to 11, unaware of where the time has gone. Highest placement for me is 10, which is where it gets crazy once you get within the top 15. Everything is moving fast, opponents attacking you, all while trying to clear garbage; who knew battle royale Tetris could be so addicting. I watched the Puyo Puyo Tetris tips and I really need to try them out. Every time I get within top 15 I start making mistakes that compound on each other causing me to lose within three tetromino drops.

Things are way too fast for me once in top 15 lol
The sweat begins to pour and I'm just panicking. Still didn't manage better than 11th.

And yes, this game is crack. I was at the restaurant yesterday with my wife for valentine's Day and I was thinking about bricks lol

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Things are way too fast for me once in top 15 lol
The sweat begins to pour and I'm just panicking. Still didn't manage better than 11th.

And yes, this game is crack. I was at the restaurant yesterday with my wife for valentine's Day and I was thinking about bricks lol
Hahaha, don't let her know that! Unless she loves Tetris as much as you. Yeah there is something about playing with 99 other players that adds to the intensity and fun compared to just playing against a CPU or score attack mode. I'm currently thinking about hopping back on the game right now, haha. At the very least, I plan on watching some streams of it on Twitch in about ten minutes.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing is, the night was ther first night I had time to play games this week and I blocked it for Apex legends. It became a Tetris 99 all nighter lol. #9 is my best so far :)

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Tried it earlier. Really fun. Definitely challenging. I can't play my normal slow set up style. You need to be aggressive.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

It reminds me of Tetris Party for the Wii. Serviceable, but nothing special.

The music is really good, though, especially the 10 players left music (the Flight of the Bumblebee remix).

Tried it earlier. Really fun. Definitely challenging. I can't play my normal slow set up style. You need to be aggressive.

Yeah it seems to pay to be extra aggressive in this game. I play Puyo Puyo Tetris against the CPU, and even there I'm nowhere as aggressive in setting up and executing combos and such.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

I largely prefer this over the art style of 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'.

I has a type of electronic look that suggests the artistic design of arcade score chasing games made in Japan in the early 2000s, late 90s.

Even the sound design seems taken from a shmup from this era.

All of that said, it's a style that is not as usual in Nintendo consoles, at least until this generation with Switch, so I can see why some people are not finding this compelling.

At the end, an art style can resonate less or more depending on your nostalgic memories of other games.

I think that for example, people coming from Xbox 360 and its vast library of score attack arcade games infused with neon lights and synthesized female voices, will feel at home with this version of Tetris.

In my case, this game perfectly connects with the style and sound design of some of my most played score attack arcade games in Switch, such as 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX' or the recent 'Paladin' which is one of my personal favorites in this 2019.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Getting kills consistently is a bit frustrating. I've gotten a lot of top 3's with less than 4 medals, meaning I'm basically screwed. Not getting early kills really snowballs in this game. Ending tonight sub .500 sucks, but I've already played 4 hours and my fingers are starting to hurt.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The best I've done yet is finishing 8th place. I'm beginning to learn the targeting system but man sometimes I get ganged up on there's nothing I can do about it.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I usually use "easy ko" strategy, when I try another I get rekt real fast.
Prey on the weak, hoping the mighty do not notice you. What a terrible life lesson

Dec 11, 2017
Seeing a lot of NA players posting wins, and the top 10 is full of English handles. Either it's a timezone thing (or regional servers?), but playing in Asia is another world. Japanese players monster this game in each top 10 I see.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so going to play Tetris 99 on my lunch break again. Very addictive game. I am now managing to be almost always in the top 6, winning with decent regularity too. All those hours on Tetris Battle to climb up to the highest rank, where I was only ever facing Japanese Tetris Gods is finally paying off. I'm a bit rusty but I can get better.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I usually use "easy ko" strategy, when I try another I get rekt real fast.
Prey on the weak, hoping the mighty do not notice you. What a terrible life lesson

Thanks to all the people using a KO strategy, I have found an even better strategy.

Start building a tower of blocks at the beginning, in a way in which you can do two easy consecutive Tetris.

Once is high enough, all the players with the KO strategy will be targeting you at the same time.

So they will give you a ridiculous bonus multiplier. More people targeting you, more higher the multiplier.

Then, do two consecutive Tetris with the added multiplier and.... BOOOM, you will destroy to all these mid-level players using the KO strategy and at the same time :)

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Wow, what a fun little game. I need to study some strats; can't for the life of me plan out that t-spin thing. Best I've placed so far is only second but I'm hooked.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty bad at any competitive game, so the fact that I've cracked the top 10 several times is a nice feeling. Never #1, but top 3 at least! Fun game. Hoping for more additions though (better stat keeping, more backgrounds/music, playing with friends, 1-player classic mode, etc). Don't get me wrong though... if they charged $10 for it as it is, I'd still be happy with my purchase!

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I have 5 wins out of 61 matches, the game is really fair since I consider myself terrible at competitive Tetris.

For those struggling to stay alive once they enter the top 10, focus on getting KOs and badges especially when the top 50 kicks in. Reaching the last stage in a low profile fashion is really easy just sending garbage at random but if you don't have any badges you're easy prey to people with the ability to send garbage twice as fast as you can get rid of it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Getting kills consistently is a bit frustrating. I've gotten a lot of top 3's with less than 4 medals, meaning I'm basically screwed. Not getting early kills really snowballs in this game. Ending tonight sub .500 sucks, but I've already played 4 hours and my fingers are starting to hurt.

My usual playstyle (which yesterday got me 8 top 10s and 2 wins) is basically sit on counter forever. If you just constantly play fast and counter anyone who tries to attack you will either die or switch target. One win yesterday I checked and I didn't KO anyone until the top 10 and I got KO medals for all of them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Managed to get to #3 which is my best so far from 6 games played.
Had no idea about badges so will now focus on KO's in the mid-late game.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Getting ganged up on by like half a dozen players feels really bad.

But then working your way out of it and placing in the Top 10 feels really good.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Thanks to all the people using a KO strategy, I have found an even better strategy.

Start building a tower of blocks at the beginning, in a way in which you can do two easy consecutive Tetris.

Once is high enough, all the players with the KO strategy will be targeting you at the same time.

So they will give you a ridiculous bonus multiplier. More people targeting you, more higher the multiplier.

Then, do two consecutive Tetris with the added multiplier and.... BOOOM, you will destroy to all these mid-level players using the KO strategy and at the same time :)

I just had the same idea lol
But so far, things didn't go as planned. I have to improve my speed.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Getting ganged up on by like half a dozen players feels really bad.

But then working your way out of it and placing in the Top 10 feels really good.

Getting ganged on means that either you're doing particularly good in a match, or you have a higher than average ELO. Since I switched to the dark blue cube it's really common to have a lot of players targeting you since the beginning probably due to either Random or KO auto-targets prioritising players that are a higher threat so they don't just cruise control their way to the top 10

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017

It's fine as a basic skin and the copyright stuff on the splash screen more or less confirms Nintendo themes are on the way. We'll have a fully fledged sequel to Tetris DS by the time they're done.