Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
When babies point at my cellphone and make the gimme gimme gesture, like it's their favourite toy. What the fuck.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Feeling sore and tired the morning after going to a weeknight concert. I'm feeling it pretty hard this morning. I guess I should count my blessings that someone I met last night thought I was 10 years younger than I actually am. That made me feel pretty good.
The pilot for Adventure time is over a decade old. The show officially started in 2010, 8 years ago.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First time for me was seeing Man of Steele on opening night. The audience was mostly younger 20's. I think I was one of maybe two people there above 30.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Ill be 27 in a few months, but the major one that gets me is how much more excited I get about getting groceries, or some new pants, or getting my car washed than I do about a new game. I only really can be interested in one new game a year at this point. last year was BOTW, this year its probably going to be GOW.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
When I sneezed and pulled a muscle in my neck and it was stiff a full 5 days. That was 2 years ago when I turned 40.
(This is not a joke. It truly happened.)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I remember getting excited to pick out an Intellivision game or an Atari game at KB Toys with my dad. Also, my dad died 25 years ago.....man.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
When I was in high school I used to think that groups like the doors was super old music because it was 23 years before my time. Kurt Cobain has been dead 24 years as of April 5th.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people posting in this thread are not old enough to complain about being old.

You can't really complain about getting old until shit starts breaking.
Yeah. My getting old moment(s) came last year, when I attended a funeral for my grandfather, then one for my mother-in-law, and my brother-in-law died like two months after that. Then I landed myself in the hospital and was in and out of the hospital for about six months. Mortality sneaks up on you...then it bitchslaps you right in the fucking face.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Watching my sister's very young kids use anything with a touchscreen, maybe. It's baffling how good they are with them.

I just realized my GameFAQs account is about to turn 18, if it hasn't already.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, this hurts.

Any time I'm reminded that people born in the 90s are adults now, as well. I still expect them to be actual diaper-babies.
Mega Diaper Babies!

latest

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the age of some of the cast for a movie or show that I liked and realizing that I am way older than them. This used to be the exact opposite when I was young.

I will turn 28 next month.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the post-9/11 world seeming normal. WTF
That's probably the saddest part of all of this. Post-Cold War, Pre-9/11 America was a great time, and that's not just nostalgia. There was a general air of happiness and jubilation, and it demonstrated itself in the culture of the time. School shootings weren't a weekly occurrence, no one had a second thought about terrorism. The biggest domestic scandal was the President getting a blowjob in the Oval Office from a staffer. Even the bad shit like Waco, Oklahoma City, and Columbine were thought of as anomalies and not systemic.

The happiness and jubilation was mostly a veneer, a disguise, a consequence of being the "winners" of the Cold War. The issues were there, but they could so easily be ignored. Being a kid in the 90s was innocence. 9/11 and it's consequences really just shattered that veneer.

Last edited:

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Katy Perry and Lady GaGa's careers are over a decade old makes me feel old. Kids who are 10-12 years old now have no idea what I Kissed a Girl is and would think it's an ancient song if I said it came out in 2008.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's probably the saddest part of all of this. Post-Cold War, Pre-9/11 America was a great time, and that's not just nostalgia. There was a general air of happiness and jubilation, and it demonstrated itself in the culture of the time. School shootings weren't a weekly occurrence, no one had a second thought about terrorism. The biggest domestic scandal was the President getting a blowjob in the Oval Office from a staffer. Even the bad shit like Waco, Oklahoma City, and Columbine were thought of as anomalies and not systemic.

The happiness and jubilation wasn't mostly a veneer, a disguise, a consequence of being the "winners" of the Cold War. The issues were there, but they could so easily be ignored. Being a kid in the 90s was innocence. 9/11 and it's consequences really just shattered that veneer.

Saddest part of all if this really. My neice was born in 2003 and has never known the country not at war. Its so incredibly sad to think about. So thankful I was born when I was.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When James Franco got outed for creeping on a 17 year old and in their texts she didn't know that # meant "number".

Whenever I have a client born after 9/11.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend is from generation z , I am a filthy millennial.

Played pokemon from gen 1 on.
Kingdom Hearts 3 the next kh console game is like a decade later out. Ah.... Kid and teenage me waiting for the next console KH it was cute :')

Should be a meme when the game is out kids waitin now adults.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently trade in my PS4 for 170 cash and leave with no modern console in my procession. I just come to term with the fact that I enjoy watch playthru on youtube as much as I play the games myself.

It's really not a "shit I am old" moment but its close to it.

Watching games on youtube instead of playing them means you're aging backwards, Benjamin Button style.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm exposed to this feeling a lot as a Dad of a preteen when I'm in my early 30's. Like I think I keep pretty current and most parents that have kids my age are a lot older than me but nah I'm past the point of no return and I'm always gonna be lame as fuck

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
When the people around me don't get my Simpsons references and I dont get their SpongeBob references...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
When I realised that I could quite easily be a dad to pretty much every apprentice we have at work. And that's meaning having them at a responsible age, not when I was 16. (no disrespect to anyone who has)

To be fair there's a woman at work who became a grandma a few years back at 41, the age I am now. Now that would be depressing!

Also, when I found my first grey pubic hair! #thisiswhatitfeelslikewhendovescry

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If it makes us feel any better. I watched the Digital Foundry Shenmue mini-doc and discovered that Shenmue was announced in 1998 (released the next year I think). So Shenmue is only 20 years old. I honestly thought it felt like longer..

I'm lucky as a 33 year old guy who apparently has the face of a 25 year old I can still get away with going to clubs.. kind of. I enjoy it but the day I'm flat out refused entry to a nightclub purely because I look past it will be my true awakening.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
You don't remember music from when you were born because you listened to it actively - it's because it was around you growing up. Family listening in the house or car most likely. Maybe these days everyone listens to their own stuff more privately so youngsters don't have that exposure anymore? Does seem odd though

I think it just depends on how into music you are. Junior high school is when I started to get into music, so I would actively search out modern stuff as well as old stuff.

I don't understand the popularity of youtubers, streamers, etc. Maybe I was born in the "wrong" decade(the 80s).

I think its just that you don't watch much youtube then. Because a lot of the youtubers I watch were also born in the 80's, and sometimes older. Twitch streamers generally run younger, as the average age of who I watch there is probably early 20's.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I realized this a couple years back once I purchased my first home.

I barely if ever touch my PS4, because I don't have the time. I haven't even beat Persona 5 yet!!!

I will however find a way to play God of War though. I'm determined.

I also seem to have shifted massively towards mobile gaming since I can play while doing laundry.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
When I realized some of the people I went out with in high school now have kids who are older than we were when we dated.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 40, a pretty damned fit 40 (been weight training for 20 years)...Bought a baseball glove while dressed like a lazy slacker, unshaven, gray hairs in beard (head is shaved), and the girl at the register says "Oh, so do you like play softball with the neighbors, my parents do stuff like that"..I was like, no I coach baseball and need a new glove. I also wanted to rip my shirt off and be like "DO YOUR PARENTS AND NEIGHBORS STRIATIONS EVERWHERE TOO!?!?"...but I just paid for my glove and walked out...wondering how much longer I had to live.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When your friends start having babies, buying your first washing machine and get really happy to start using it, getting drunk and have a hungover that last a day, getting to friday so you can continue watching a series instead of partying.

Damn...

.n_n.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
The key to never getting old is never giving a fuck.

Not giving a fuck will never go out of style.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope you beat his ass in real life to make up for it.

Of course. He's 9 now so only have a few years of real life ass kicking left before he takes me in a fight, too. Got to take advantage.

Here's my "holy shit I'm old moment." Seeing a casual joke (at least I hope it is a joke) - advocating violence against younger generations because they beat you in a videogame - become normalized.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that gets me is watching pro sports, my age (33) is past the peak performance for most of them (NFL, MLB).

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's my "holy shit I'm old moment." Seeing a casual joke (at least I hope it is a joke) - advocating violence against younger generations because they beat you in a videogame - become normalized.
It's obviously a joke. However, I wasn't advocating violence against an entire generation. I was talking about my son. And for the record, I rough house with him all the time. I'm not actually kicking his ass.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

actually it makes you sound like a cranky millennial, not in the "Holy Shit, I'm Old" club.