• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rafaelcsa

Sep 10, 2019
Huge Lynch fan, but never seen Inland Empire. I tried once but I think I barely made 10 minutes in. Should try again at some point, I've seen everything else of his.

gibby

Jul 15, 2022
i met wes anderson and I'm actually in rushmore if you don't blink for two seconds. really happy for his success but everything after Life Aquatic I felt like he was just striking a bunch of poses, still happy for him but it's not really my thing i guess

That's cool! I actually love both Grand Budapest and Astroid City. Some very well thought out blocking and production design to bolster some of the loftier themes he's been playing around with.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Huge Lynch fan, but never seen Inland Empire. I tried once but I think I barely made 10 minutes in. Should try again at some point, I've seen everything else of his.
Also Lynch but with The Straight Story. I love that Lynch made a G rated Disney film but I've just never found time to watch it.

Inland Empire is a much watch for any Lynch fan but it's definitely not an easy watch. It's a deeply disturbing and unsettling film. Probably a 'one and done' for most people.

DriftDrafs

Apr 13, 2024
I was OP and several others in this thread where I saw every Kubrick movie, but Barry Lyndon. I watched it a couple of years ago and I now say with confidence it is my favorite Kubrick movie. It is an impressionist painting in motion. I find it crazy that it is so enjoyable because Barry Lyndon, the character, not the movie itself, kinda sucks. It is a slow burn and rarely ever boils over, but the times it does it's electric.

Don't just take it from me. There are several interviews (and even a whole Masterclass) where Martin Scorsese raves about it:

www.youtube.com

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio on Barry Lyndon

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio react to Stanley Kubrick's 1975 masterpiece Barry Lyndon.Sources: Cinephoric, Letterboxdyoutube.com/@cinephoricLetterbo...

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
I've never seen Robert Altman's Quintet starring Paul Newman. It has one of the most confusing trailers and the only footage from it I've seen makes it look like Altman made the movie on the Hoth set in between takes of Empire

youtu.be

Quintet (1979) Trailer

In 1979, Robert Altman set out to create his passion project. This passion project was entitled Quintet, A sci-fi flick set in a post-apocalyptic world coat...
It's as bad as it is confusing. Feels top down like no one has a clue what they're supposed to be making.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
I love Fincher and haven't seen Panic Room, The Game, or Gone Girl even though I own all 3.

I like Nolan, and own Inception on Blu Ray...but haven't gotten around to watching it. (It was a gift)

I slept on Jackie Brown for years cause I'd not heard much praise for it, but gave it a shot one day and it's probably my favorite Tarantino movie. Certainly the one I've watched the most.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Chris Nolan's The Following. I think Criterion has it but I'm waiting for it to show up somewhere to stream it.
This and ...

I've never seen John Carpenter's first or last movie (Dark Star, The Ward). Everything else I've seen multiple times.
This. I'd like to see where my favorite directors started out, but "low budget black and white movie" or a "college project where the alien is a beachball" are hard sells for movie night.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't seen Schindler's List, which is supposed to be Spielberg's magnum opus.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Same as OP, Barry Lyndon - Kubrick

Also Andrej Rubljov and Ivan's childhood - Tarkovsky

Inland Empire - David Lynch

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Was gonna say The Game but then I remembered I didn't watch Fight Club either. Seen every Cronenberg movie except Spider, that one is hard to find right now.

OP
OP
Man with Knife
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Now that Christopher Nolan has been mentioned a few times, I totally forgot about him. Seen all of his movies except Interstellar, all of them in theaters too (except Following).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Now that Christopher Nolan has been mentioned a few times, I totally forgot about him. Seen all of his movies except Interstellar, all of them in theaters too (except Following).
If you got an IMAX nearby I'd recommend waiting until this fall to see it in theaters (preferably a 70mm IMAX if possible). Easily his best IMAX movie.

medium_cool

Nov 25, 2021
p12901833_p_v8_ac.jpg

Fairly recent in his filmography but haven't seen Silence yet.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't seen Tenet from Christopher Nolan, heard the plot was convoluted and didn't bother with it.
I honestly thought the plot wasn't really convoluted despite what some people have said.
It's a very James Bond inspired spy movie that happened to have some sci-fi time stuff.

My issue was that I just found it kinda boring.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
p12901833_p_v8_ac.jpg

Fairly recent in his filmography but haven't seen Silence yet.

Silence is my favorite Scorsese movie. So oddly meditative despite the brutal subject matter. It really transports you to that place and time and also doesn't take any easy sides, and though sympathies in the film lie one way, it struck me as relatively balanced and as beautiful as it is harsh with its imagery.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't quite appeal to me (who cares about clothes and romance anyway right?) either but I loved it. I highly recommend it. It also is surprisingly funny.

I fucking hated Licorice Pizza though, PTA was my favorite living film maker up until that point but after that one I lost a lot of enthusiasm.
I actually got around to watching it a few months ago after your recommendation and I quite enjoyed it.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I've never seen Eyes wide shut.

I've never heard anyone ever insist I should see it, and the concept is not very interesting to me.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I still haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers, even though I've seen the rest of Satoshi Kon's films. Mostly I just don't want to not have anymore of his films left.

Not a 'single' film, but I'm also missing Blade II and Mimic from Del Toro, which feels egregious to me. I imagine I'll leave one behind for the same reason as Tokyo Godfathers, but at least he's still around to make more movies.

aladashdin

Jan 15, 2020
This thread is fucking hilarious

I always tell people that I don't think Pulp Fiction was all that great and they're just like "Wait, what's wrong with you? Do you like ANY of his movies? What's your favorite?" and I say I've seen just about all of them, and my favorite is Jackie Brown, and most of them are very confused by that.

I have fallen out of love with every Tarantino I ever saw, except for Jackie Brown. It's not just my favorite QT, it's the only one I consider worth my time anymore.

I dropped off after Django, so not sure about later ones, but I feel like JB has the fullest most complete characters, closest to feeling like humans, not an amalgam of fun comic-book traits and one-liners.