Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Omg this was me maybe 7, 8 years ago. I still don't know what I was doing wrong.
I beat Vagrant Story playing the same way. Start every fight with a long high damage combo, risk gets maxed, then do long combos of 0,0,0,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2

Haha you're making me feel a little better about myself.

I haven't really replayed it since, but I think you need to take some potions that lower the risk level to be able to deal higher damage. There are probably other ways to lower it too. But basically the higher the risk level, the lower damage you deal IIRC.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne: I am a dumbass because I finished the game + Chalice Dungeons believing your character progress would be reset if you died, which meant that every time I died I closed down the game and downloaded my save file. I must've opened and closed the game hundreds of times, for this reason I uploaded my saves after every area and boss lol. I actually got the platinum and on my save file I technically died 0 times throughout the game + Chalice Dungeons.
For this reason the experience of Bloodborne got pretty ruined for me and that's why its never in my top PS4 games list, and also the reason I have never played another Souls game afterwards, its my biggest shame

Impressive. You never questioned your approach?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne: I am a dumbass because I finished the game + Chalice Dungeons believing your character progress would be reset if you died, which meant that every time I died I closed down the game and downloaded my save file. I must've opened and closed the game hundreds of times, for this reason I uploaded my saves after every area and boss lol. I actually got the platinum and on my save file I technically died 0 times throughout the game + Chalice Dungeons.
For this reason the experience of Bloodborne got pretty ruined for me and that's why its never in my top PS4 games list, and also the reason I have never played another Souls game afterwards, its my biggest shame
I don't know if I can take more in this thread after this.
Holy shit lmao

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Deserves more quotes. First reply rule still strong.

WHY. HOW. Did you think it was a roguelike or something? Who is the monster that lead you to that train of thought?

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Omg. This is savage. Props to you for sharing this.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah kinda. But, no he wasn't saying that to make you feel better.
And I never thought to Google it. I just naturally assumed that I was the problem. I had heard so many things about Dark Souls being brutal. Also it was pre-iPad era, so I would have had to get up off my ass and turn on my PC. Lol.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
This is pretty funny, well done! Why did you even think this to begin with though? Have you ever known a game to do this?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Format rules:

[GAME NAME in bold]: I am a dumbass because [REASON]

And here is me:

Death Stranding: I am a dumbass because I finished the game after 70 or so hours and only realized now that vehicles have a boost. I repeat I finished the ENTIRE game without using / knowing about the vehicle boost. Those that know the game: think about some of the steep mountain roads that you did likely with a boost. Now imagine that without it….

Let's see how this thread goes and maybe we can add later a voting between the top 5 stories ;)

Your turn ERA
That's me. Took me 40 hours into the game to find the boost, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
In my first playthrough of the new God of War I didn't know I could manually make Atreus use his special ability just by holding the button instead of pressing it. I thought it was just him doing it himself when I accidentally triggered it each time. I felt super dumb when I realized, but after reading some of the stuff here... ain't so bad.

oldboss

Shinra Employee
Nov 9, 2017
Ok, I don't know if it qualifies as dumbass. I certainly felt shame when it happened.

God of War 3 : Remember the time Kratos had a threesome and you had to have his two partners climax during a QTE scene? I failed 2/3, before my younger sister strolled into the room, asking what I was doing. I wasn't exactly comfortable with outright saying it and only got a "well, you know, uh" out. Then she said give me the controller, I'll try. And she did on the first try and handed me the controller back. Suffice to say, virgin teenage me felt helpless for a good hour.

Wow, well done. As previously stated I doubt anyone can top that. How long did it take you to finish it?

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger: I finished the entire game twice before realizing you can press Y to change party members at any point. I backtracked to the End of Time every single time.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within:

First area where you start and you're faced with that murdering butcher git.

Couldn't work out how to get past without being murdered. Got pissed off after repeatedly failing trying to sneak past them.

Realised months later that there was a key for the other door.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Im glad so many of you find my story fun lol. I actually was aiming on playing Dark Souls Remastered last month but I just couldn't get myself to do it, I just remember having a horrible experience with Bloodborne lol.

Impressive. You never questioned your approach?
Deserves more quotes. First reply rule still strong.

WHY. HOW. Did you think it was a roguelike or something? Who is the monster that lead you to that train of thought?
Decided to answer some questions to give further context lol.

I actually started the game and I died very early, at the beginning of the game and noticed that my Souls were gone and my imidiate thought was "Oh, thats why the Souls games are so hard, you lose all your character progress when dying", I decided to restart the game and then I did cloud save area after area. Actually I went to USB saves after a while because it was a lot faster.

Funny thing is, a friend of mine who had played Bloodborne previously saw I was playing it on PSN and sent me a message saying something like "Hey dude, can you stream the game so I can watch you?" and I was like "Sorry, can't do it because of internet speed" or whatever, but in reality it was because I was thinking "I have the trophy hunter mindset and I can't die which would result in a boring stream for him" lol.

Actually closing in on the end of the game I sat on Discord with some friends, I remember having loads of trouble with this giant Thunder beast. Might've been a Wolf or whatever, I think it was four legged + was lightning if I recall. (Or maybe I used lightning paper or whatever, its been a while) - I remember being so angry and almost dropping the game because A. I had trouble with the dogthing, B. It wasn't a "long" walk per se, but from my latest save state that I had backed up it was a pretty long walk... This meant I spent like 10 minutes walking to this fucking dog everytime I died.
Anyway, at some point I shouted in Discord, something a long the lines of "Im so fucking fed up with this game, how are people supposed to platinum this" and told my friends about my tactics, and one of them said something along the lines of "You don't have to do that you know" and I remember feeling pissed out thinking "No I know that the hardcore audience is okay with reseting their character progress but I've come this far and I won't lose the platinum" lol

I finished it + the Chalice dungeons and I was so proud, I actually felt really proud of doing it. And I actually didn't find out about the Souls system for months afterwards, I think I watched some stream (Might've been like MaximillianDood or something) and the person playing died and I was like "yeah that's gotta suck" and they just went back and picked everything up again. Never felt so embaressed and frankly angry at myself lol.

I looked up my trophy progress, took me 1 month and 2 weeks, and it was pretty much the only game I played and I played almost daily with a few breaks. Never got around to playing Old Hunters even though I own it lol
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3431-bloodborne/MarsipanRumpan

EDIT:
This is the boss I was talking about, and I didn't even get into the trouble I had with one boss in Chalice dungeons, I never want to experience that again lol

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
And I never thought to Google it. I just naturally assumed that I was the problem. I had heard so many things about Dark Souls being brutal. Also it was pre-iPad era, so I would have had to get up off my ass and turn on my PC. Lol.
I sorta had the same misconception about demon's souls, tho internets helped me through it. You should go back to dark souls, it's a fun game!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im glad so many of you find my story fun lol. I actually was aiming on playing Dark Souls Remastered last month but I just couldn't get myself to do it, I just remember having a horrible experience with Bloodborne lol.

I actually started the game and I died very early, at the beginning of the game and noticed that my Souls were gone and my imidiate thought was "Oh, thats why the Souls games are so hard, you lose all your character progress when dying", I decided to restart the game and then I did cloud save area after area. Actually I went to USB saves after a while because it was a lot faster.

Funny thing is, a friend of mine who had played Bloodborne previously saw I was playing it on PSN and sent me a message saying something like "Hey dude, can you stream the game so I can watch you?" and I was like "Sorry, can't do it because of internet speed" or whatever, but in reality it was because I was thinking "I have the trophy hunter mindset and I can't die which would result in a boring stream for him" lol.

Actually closing in on the end of the game I sat on Discord with some friends, I remember having loads of trouble with this giant Thunder beast. Might've been a Wolf or whatever, I think it was four legged + was lightning if I recall. (Or maybe I used lightning paper or whatever, its been a while) - I remember being so angry and almost dropping the game because A. I had trouble with the dogthing, B. It wasn't a "long" walk per se, but from my latest save state that I had backed up it was a pretty long walk... This meant I spent like 10 minutes walking to this fucking dog everytime I died.
Anyway, at some point I shouted in Discord, something a long the lines of "Im so fucking fed up with this game, how are people supposed to platinum this" and told my friends about my tactics, and one of them said something along the lines of "You don't have to do that you know" and I remember feeling pissed out thinking "No I know that the hardcore audience is okay with reseting their character progress but I've come this far and I won't lose the platinum" lol

I finished it + the Chalice dungeons and I was so proud, I actually felt really proud of doing it. And I actually didn't find out about the Souls system for months afterwards, I think I watched some stream (Might've been like MaximillianDood or something) and the person playing died and I was like "yeah that's gotta suck" and they just went back and picked everything up again. Never felt so embaressed and frankly angry at myself lol.

I looked up my trophy progress, took me 1 month and 2 weeks, and it was pretty much the only game I played and I played almost daily with a few breaks. Never got around to playing Old Hunters even though I own it lol

EDIT:
This is the boss I was talking about, and I didn't even get into the trouble I had with one boss in Chalice dungeons, I never want to experience that again lol

So you havent sadly played the best part of the game and I would seriously recommend getting back to it and do that content. Knowing you won't lose anything when you die will also improve the experience by a lot.

I still can't believe you finished all of it with that approach. I mean there had to be a point where you had to think "Is that really right?" like... woooow. I mean on a bad day I run through the game in 3-4 hours easily and still die here and there, but backing your save up every time you die, reloading the game (lord the load times on this game) and then dieing again and doing the same thing again... You have a strong will. Like that is more work than some projects I've done at work.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There was someone who couldn't beat the final boss battle because they kept mashing "O" repeatedly for 5+ minutes (pausing and switching thumbs when they got tired). They even reset the game and tried again because they thought it was a glitch. The solution was to just stop pressing "O" and wait a couple seconds.
I see you got an explanation while I took a nap. But to add insult to injury, the guy made a thread on GAF back then about how pissed he was that his copy of GoW 3 was glitched, and got laughed out of the house and raked over the coals for being a dumbass.
oh yeah, I remember that story. :D

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: I made it half way through the various phases of the final boss before I sought out why the game was so difficult. Turns out there was a particular way to upgrade your character that I neglected the entire play through (eat food from shops IIRC).
Bingo. I thought the game had NES difficulty for years, never could beat it. This year I found out about the upgrades -_-

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Resident Evil (remake): I did not realise that you could burn zombie bodies to make them stay dead. This is despite the game telling you about it in one of the logs you find - I didn't realise that was the game's way of letting you know about the mechanic. I only found out because someone told me, and I was already about 5 hours into the game.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Dark Souls 2 : I'm a dumbass because I initially missed the emerald lady and completed the first two zones without leveling up.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I am a dumbass because in Breath of the Wild I realised there was motion aiming with the bow

After I finished the game.

I am a dumbass because it was 3 years into the Switch lifecycle that I found out you can remove the hashtags while posting tweets of screenshots/recordings.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Resident Evil (remake): I did not realise that you could burn zombie bodies to make them stay dead. This is despite the game telling you about it in one of the logs you find - I didn't realise that was the game's way of letting you know about the mechanic. I only found out because someone told me, and I was already about 5 hours into the game.

If I recall correctly there was a limited supply of that resource, so although I knew about it I feel like I never used it that much. Still, those red zombies that come back... christ those were scary.

STALKER: first playthrough I didn't realise you could catch and use the magic zone items. Just played it like a normal FPS.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm a dumbass because I played 300 hours of Guild Wars 2 until I realized you could place skills on your underwater skill bar. Up until that point I had only used the default attack and I wondered why the hell so much of the game was placed underwater when the combat was so lacking.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dark souls III - started to play and didn't want to get invaded, so I thought I was ok as long as I didn't use some specific items. Got to a section where I'm going through a village and a damn phantom enters my world and starts chasing me. I was pissed off thinking I was safe so I ran around for a bit and then just quit the game.

turns out it was a bloody NPC and it's supposed to happen?

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
Final Fantasy X

game over multiple times on early game because i didn't know how to use sphere grid

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I will try to think of a more modern example, but for the time being...

I am a dumbass because I spent a good ten hours playing the first fight in Final Fantasy Tactics over and over and over again. Why? Because I didn't know I had other characters that I could position and utilize. That is a hard fight when you only have Ramza (and a sporadically helpful Delita).

BelovedWeightyAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

Oh god...

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
What did I just read

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I did the classic thing where I played all of Pokémon Blue with my starter (specifically Blastoise). Everything else was just there for HM purposes.

I had no idea you could pick up the genie boss' bottle from Link's Awakening, I have vivid memories of taking my GBC on a trip and repeatedly trying to beat it through other means.

genie.jpg

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

God damn

Gm85MiLoIJ5Cisfo9XfnK1ffF6Mp2DfucxFC8LsWiJbK_ht57nmSa31_FcBnceiNAk-8Yj5hd0FMuc7_OVOfAzOhZFTwj-Ndo3n3eJ1nntvOb8hgSjM

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
giphy.gif

Jun 26, 2018
Me and a friend was doing a Randomizer run of Castlevania: SoTN and we got stuck and decided the run was bugged, only to start over on a new seed and get stuck again...

Then we remembered that you can use gravity boots in mid-air... we both groaned at the amount of time we've wasted.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
That thread was legendary. And those threads about the guy who thought his girlfriend was missing or kidnapped, but instead of looking for her like any normal person he had to 'go ly down'. And the guy who kept live updating his thread about a possum he found in his house. Those were some of the funniest shit I've read on the Internet.

And now you reminded me of the MGS "pruuwuu" thread :P

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
A few from when I was a kid :

Vagrant Story : I didn't understand the risk system and did every fight dealing like 0, 1, 2 points of damage per hit after the first few seconds. Every fight took ages and I ended up quitting.

Final Fantasy VII : It was my first RPG, I almost didn't use the "attack" command in the entire game because I figured it was the fall back option for when you didn't have any MP left. So I only used magic, yellow materia and summons throughout the entire game.

FFVIII : I did 90% of all battles using exclusively summons. Because they were free, attacked everyone, and protected my characters. I also did a faaaar from optimal use of the junction system.
What the fuck. You write out Final Fantasy VII fully, but for FF8 you abbreviate it. What is this madness lmao

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Lunar Silver Star Story: Before I learned the importance of rotating saves, especially when the game told me to in this one.
Limited item inventory + final dungeon you can't leave= locking yourself out of beating the final boss if your middle school brain was too dumb to stock up on the necessary items and waste them during random battles.

DMC3SE:Saving over my extensive Dante save file with Virgil's. Again, always rotate your saves.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey: In the Desert Kingdom there's a block on a remote pillar you need to destroy with a Bullet Bill to get a moon inside. The intended way to get it is by shaking the controller to go faster (as the on-screen control guide mentions) so you reach the block before the BB self-detonates.

But I didn't read the controls. Instead I spent 20 minutes coming up with a method of manoeuvring two BBs through a small gap, with their hats already removed, using one BB to lead the other until it was about to detonate then hopping out of my ride in mid-air and latching onto the second with Cappy. This allowed me to get just close enough to catch the block in the explosion radius as the BB reached the end of its timer.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Lunar Silver Star Story: Before I learned the importance of rotating saves, especially when the game told me to in this one.
Limited item inventory + final dungeon you can't leave= locking yourself out of beating the final boss if your middle school brain was too dumb to stock up on the necessary items and waste them during random battles.

DMC3SE:Saving over my extensive Dante save file with Virgil's. Again, always rotate your saves.
Dante Save File 1 and 3, Vergil save file 7 and 10.

The first Guacamelee has a section where you have to avoid wall spikes by switching between the world of the living and the dead, I forgot about that mechanic and spent forever repeatedly trying to get through that section. I finally managed to scrap by and then almost immediately had the lightbulb go off. Never finished that game.

Oct 25, 2017
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

What I wouldn't give to be able to see the look in your face at that moment.

Oct 27, 2017
In Ghost of Tsushima there is a mission where:

You have to extinguish the signal so they can't request backup from the ships, I thought you had to kill everyone without getting seen but all you had to do was go inside the lighthouse. I died the mission like 5 times.

Oct 28, 2017
I am a dumbass because for years I didn't know you could shake zombies off of you by button mashing in classic Resident Evil. I thought if you got bit you just had to wait until the animation finished and take a lot of damage. Turns out if you mash buttons you can shake the zombies off of you to only take a tiny bit of damage. I didn't discover this until well over a decade later. Probably closer to 2 decades.

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Ocarina of Time:

On my first playthrough, I played through the water temple without getting the blue mail.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

This is the problem with Souls game reputation/marketing...people believe it too readily and trying to downplay it might come off as bragging. When Dark Souls came out I saw multiple reports of players going the wrong way at the start, getting wrecked by reviving skeletons, and giving up because they assumed the game was supposed to be impossible. If not for the 'prepare to die hardest game ever bro git gud' bullshit I'd imagine they would just try the other path...

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
god damn OP, first thing i try in any game is to move faster LOL, on foot, mount or vehicle :b

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have no words for this.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck. You write out Final Fantasy VII fully, but for FF8 you abbreviate it. What is this madness lmao

I always make sure not to use abbreviations that some people could not get. With context I assume that everyone can understand what FF stands for the second time I mention it. What a strange thing to quote me on.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Metal Gear Rising without ever upgrading my sword. I tried to at one point, but I couldn't figured out how to and assumed it wasn't a feature. If I remember right my attacks were doing less than 1% to the final boss.

I also beat Phantom Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time without realizing I could hit his orbs back at him. Every now and then I could manage to hit him with a jumping slash attack as he flew over the arena, and I did that long enough that he finally went down. It took fucking forever though and my brother who had already beaten him normally just sat there watching me be a dumbass.

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VI (the original SNES English ver.): It took me ages to realize what the "Merton" spell was. (It's just a crappy translation of "Meltdown".) I thought Merton was someone's name or something, lol. Still, I kinda feel embarrassed how long it took me to realize.
Final Fantasy Vi is my favorite game of all time and I did not know that. I just thought it was a stupid ass name for a spell. The same time, I may have used that spell once. That's the one that also does damage to your party members as well, right?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I just remembered another frustrating Pokémon thing

I think I was playing Platinum and I was in the Victory Road, near the end. I sent out my Honchkrow and used Fling because it was one of the last moves I had with PP IIRC, and he flung the EXP Share.

Fling_IV.png

I assumed you got the item back at the end of the battle so I carried on and ended up saving. Then I checked the party screen and it was gone. You can get another EXP Share but it relies on the lottery.

I never finished Pokémon Platinum as a result.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT:

Man if Era would have an honorary title system, I would vote for you to get the title of "Unbreakable Iron Will"