wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
This is a massive list. I've just recently started becoming a big fan of this style of game, and have gone through a few of the more well known fan favorites already.

can anyone recommend 3-5 stand outs from this list? Maybe some with more rpg mechanics as well? I am a ps5 and switch owner. Thanks in advance!

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
This is a massive list. I've just recently started becoming a big fan of this style of game, and have gone through a few of the more well known fan favorites already.

can anyone recommend 3-5 stand outs from this list? Maybe some with more rpg mechanics as well? I am a ps5 and switch owner. Thanks in advance!

Among my favorites on console are (assuming you've played Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, Ori, etc.):

- SteamWorld Dig 2
- Grime (Soul-like)
- the Messenger (half action platformer / half mv)
- Iconoclasts
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Laika
- Salt & Sanctuary (Soul-like)
- Blasphemous (Soul-like)
- Afterimage

There are others, but if you haven't played any of those, I'd suggest picking up some that appeal to you.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I hate this thread. Just added a ton of games to my wishlist that I'm going to buy this year and enjoy.

Finishing up Knight Witch now and probably diving into Ultros next.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Among my favorites on console are (assuming you've played Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, Ori, etc.):

- SteamWorld Dig 2
- Grime (Soul-like)
- the Messenger (half action platformer / half mv)
- Iconoclasts
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Laika
- Salt & Sanctuary (Soul-like)
- Blasphemous (Soul-like)
- Afterimage

There are others, but if you haven't played any of those, I'd suggest picking up some that appeal to you.
I just finished grime, amazing music. Played most of the messenger, blasphemous and salt (my favorite so far). I will check out the others you recommend, thanks!

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

Astlibra Revision absolutely stole my heart for a while. It's got some unfortunate horniness but it's sublime.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Finished Transmute with 17 hours and 98 % clocked in.
It's pretty good. A fucking huge map on par with Hollow Knight, a lot of backtracking, upgrades. Huge amounts of influences from Hollow Knight, (Super) Metroid and Axiom Verge. I expected a fairly short 5-6 hours metroidvania. Story is fine, has 1-2 clever plot twists.

6c1ad6e3b748ccccbf8093279242446e.jpg

It ain't perfect and has here and there unfinished or stupid stuff
  • useless items that you can sell but clearly meant for something which is not in the game (yet?)
  • not much explanation how the controls work, what you can do with your abilities. You basically have to try stuff out a lot. There is no real double jump ability! Don't wait for that.
  • very difficult obstacle gauntlet rooms which lead to said useless item or just some money
  • abrupt ending
  • there are like 6 or maybe 7 batteries in the game (used to add more perks aka hollow knight charms) and 4(!) of them are in a single room
  • 2 certain charms are pretty op with not enough drawback that trivilize later fights including the final boss
  • Markers to pin some stuff on the map are not available until later (second area)
  • There are 3-4 rooms where you hop on many enemies to reach an item but can't go back, because the enemies are dead now. Only way back now is to die (there is a quick setting for that in the menu)
  • It also doesn't help that there is a charm that gives you little flying robot guys that attack enemies for you and also pinpoint hidden stuff (cool), but they attack sometimes crucial enemies, which you need alive to hop on them (not cool)
  • There are a couple (mostly optional) rooms which want some precise plattforming action from you. Most of them are bullshit honestly. Only the ones where you have to swim with high velocity are pretty cool.

But overall that's like 5 % of the full game that I don't enjoy. The rest is metroidvania perfection. The content is insane. There is so much to explore.
You have to mark a lot because you will be backtracking a lot. There is a lot of stuff you will pass by because you can't reach that shit yet.

There allready have been 3 or 4 hotfixes/patches from the dev, so I am confident, they are still working on it and complete the game and fix some stuff.

Like I said it has its weaknesses and you can clearly see hollow knight influence in there (enemies and bosses pattern are more or less copy pasted).
But it's not a lazy clone like some other shit.

And its done by 1 single person afaik. Besides testers, translation and stuff.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't buy early access games but I'm super tempted to buy Ender Magnolia.
I was about to post something similar. I had totally forgotten about early access beginning today prior to watching a YT video.
I'm certainly tore considering it could be 6 months to a year before the full game releases, according to the devs.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Finished Transmute with 17 hours and 98 % clocked in.
It's pretty good. A fucking huge map on par with Hollow Knight, a lot of backtracking, upgrades. Huge amounts of influences from Hollow Knight, (Super) Metroid and Axiom Verge. I expected a fairly short 5-6 hours metroidvania.

It ain't perfect and has here and there unfinished or stupid stuff

• useless items that you can sell but clearly meant for something which is not in the game (yet?)
  • not much explanation how the controls work, what you can do with your abilities. You basically have to try stuff out a lot. There is no real double jump ability! Don't wait for that.
  • very difficult obstacle gauntlet rooms which lead to said useless item or just some money
  • abrupt ending
  • there are like 6 or maybe 7 batteries in the game (used to add more perks aka hollow knight charms) and 4(!) of them are in a single room
  • 2 certain charms are pretty op with not enough drawback that trivilize later fights including the final boss
  • Markers to pin some stuff on the map are not available until later (second area)
  • There are 3-4 rooms where you hop on many enemies to reach an item but can't go back, because the enemies are dead now. Only way back now is to die (there is a quick setting for that in the menu)
  • It also doesn't help that there is a charm that gives you little flying robot guys that attack enemies for you and also pinpoint hidden stuff (cool), but they attack sometimes crucial enemies, which you need alive to hop on them (not cool)
  • There are a couple (mostly optional) rooms which want some precise plattforming action from you. Most of them are bullshit honestly. Only the ones where you have to swim with high velocity are pretty cool.

But overall that's like 5 % of the full game that I don't enjoy. The rest is metroidvania perfection. The content is insane. There is so much to explore.
You have to mark a lot because you will be backtracking a lot. There is a lot of stuff you will pass by because you can't reach that shit yet.

There allready have been 3 or 4 hotfixes/patches from the dev, so I am confident, they are still working on it and complete the game and fix some stuff.

Like I said it has its weaknesses and you can clearly see hollow knight influence in there (enemies and bosses pattern are more or less copy pasted).
But it's not a lazy clone like some other shit.

And its done by 1 single person afaik. Besides testers, translation and stuff.

Good stuff.
I'm assuming you're referring to rebel transmute? Just making sure I'm picking up the right game :P

This sounds right up my ally

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I'm assuming you're referring to rebel transmute? Just making sure I'm picking up the right game :P

This sounds right up my ally

Ah ya. Rebel Transmute.
And don't let my negative list put you off. The rest of the game, the bulk of it, is top-notch old-school Metroidvania. It's brutal old-school. No handholding, not much explanation. You'd have to have a really low frustration tolerance and not much patience to not keep playing the game.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ya. Rebel Transmute.
And don't let my negative list put you off. The rest of the game, the bulk of it, is top-notch old-school Metroidvania. It's brutal old-school. No handholding, not much explanation. You'd have to have a really low frustration tolerance and not much patience to not keep playing the game.

You're selling it well. I'm in :)

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Ah ya. Rebel Transmute.
I totally zone out with metroidvania games, so getting lost is part of the fun.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Played just a smidge of Magnolia and it is G o r g e o u s. Lots more color than the previous one that I recall. Plays really slick so far as well. Seems well-polished.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Kickstarter for Eden's Guardian, dark style metroidvania, just opened today if anyone interested in checking.

View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voraginegs/edens-guardian-a-dark-fantasy-pixel-art-metroidvania

The transition from the animation to gameplay was too clean.

this looks like a SOTN copy.
It is and it isn't. The SoTN flavor is 100% obvious and probably intentional, but there's enough there to differentiate it. It's fairly short too, so I think it's worth a play.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
I finally played the demo of Rebel Transmute and it's really cool, great vibes, feels good.

But my god the mindless copying of souls mechanics in indie games has to end. Dropping not only currency on death but also a health unit is such needlessly punishing and annoying garbage. It prevents you from freely exploring in a *different* direction after you die which, I dunno, seems like a core tenet of the metroidvania genre.

There are also some really challenging platformy/hazard rooms which I'm all for, but when combined with metroid-like checkpoints AND the additional punishment of dropping stuff it just makes something that should be a fun challenge into a slog. I like hard games, but I don't like super hard rooms that can kill you and send you back to a distant checkpoint so you have to get your ass all the way back to the actual thing you're trying to engage with.

I still want to play the full game, but I'm hesitant due the level of annoyance I can foresee already from the demo.

I forgot how it was in the demo, but in the full game, dropping the health core on death prevents you from losing your money (it's the effect of a charm that you start the game with). You can also just pay a trivial amount of money at any repair station to get your health back without going to fetch it, if you want to go in another direction, so it's not a big issue. If you do go pick up the health core manually, you get a bonus temporary health core (over your maximum, and once you take a hit it's gone) for your trouble.

Anyway, I'm close to the end and I think it's a very solid game. I'd definitely recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up both Lunar Nights and Record of Lodoss War since they were both on sale. Hopefully they're as awesome as I've heard.

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how it was in the demo, but in the full game, dropping the health core on death prevents you from losing your money (it's the effect of a charm that you start the game with). You can also just pay a trivial amount of money at any repair station to get your health back without going to fetch it, if you want to go in another direction, so it's not a big issue. If you do go pick up the health core manually, you get a bonus temporary health core (over your maximum, and once you take a hit it's gone) for your trouble.

Anyway, I'm close to the end and I think it's a very solid game. I'd definitely recommend it to any fan of the genre.
Thanks for the info, that's a great change!

Kickstarter for Eden's Guardian, dark style metroidvania, just opened today if anyone interested in checking.

View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voraginegs/edens-guardian-a-dark-fantasy-pixel-art-metroidvania

Eh. . .looks like another '2D souls-like' that's gotten super popular lately (Blasphemous, The Last Faith, Elderand, etc. ) Looks about as good as those, but I'm gonna sit them out for a while, kinda had my fill. Glad for those that like em though and good on the developers for getting funded.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Afterimage. So beautiful on the rog ally screen. A nitpick though; I like it better when 2d Metroidvania games let me use the d-pad for movement.

Inno2d

Mar 14, 2018
I just bought Afterimage. So beautiful on the rog ally screen. A nitpick though; I like it better when 2d Metroidvania games let me use the d-pad for movement.

Playing this right now too, absolutely beautiful game.

You can use the d-pad for movement, there's a switch in the settings. It's a bit unintuitive as you can't rebind to the dpad, you have to use the movement option that switches between stick and d-pad.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this right now too, absolutely beautiful game.

You can use the d-pad for movement, there's a switch in the settings. It's a bit unintuitive as you can't rebind to the dpad, you have to use the movement option that switches between stick and d-pad.
Thank you! That will make movement feel much better. I didn't even think about finding an option for this 😅

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. . .looks like another '2D souls-like' that's gotten super popular lately (Blasphemous, The Last Faith, Elderand, etc. ) Looks about as good as those, but I'm gonna sit them out for a while, kinda had my fill. Glad for those that like em though and good on the developers for getting funded.
That's nothing souls-like about it from what I played. Nothing at all.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Thank you! That will make movement feel much better. I didn't even think about finding an option for this 😅
Yeah, it's not well documented, and the actual option has no description of what it does. But you will absolutely need to use the D-pad if you want to do any of the trickier platforming sections, not to mention the fighting game-style special moves you have the option of unlocking later.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Ender Lillies illusory walls don't require you to hit them, you just walk into them. YEAAAAH!

Bashing every damn corner you come across in Metroidvanias makes you start to feel insane after awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
oh the things I'd do hear what white rabbit studios are up to nowadays

something's gotta be cooking

Wasn't Death's Gambit a hit?

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It gets better once you craft the upgrade for more bullets.
I didn't mind it, b/c it was essentially a rhythm game. You get this many shots, then you need to do a backflip

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Monster Boy, Astalon and Aeterna Noctis are all on sale on Playstation. Which one would you recommend out of those?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
And Astalon regardless of what the other one you get. Really loved that game.

Really you are looking at 3 great choices that differ greatly in style and type. Each one is really good so just pick the one that seems to appeal to your sensibilities the best if you can only choose one.