• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
In most cases, you just need the 3 native to the biome you're in. There's a few exceptions where you'll get to a place, see the obstacle and then need to hoof it back to a SAFE to reload, and then go back and have to fight your way to that spot again just to grab one single bit.

Ok well then I won't get too OCD. I'll just play normally and do clean-up in the endgame.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
30 hours to 100% the map and get the true ending on Biomorph.

The game's bosses are underwhelming (didn't help that I power-levelled before facing most of them), but the exploration is a lot of fun, and there's some tough (but not frustratingly crazy) platforming bits- though these are largely optional for 100% collectibles.

Wll probably be moving on to Ultros, as I try to catch u on stuff from Q1

This has now made me very interested in the game. I remember that the game "Carrion" had some great exploration because of the locomotion/mobility aspect of the carrion. Seems like this game has some similar qualities.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the last couple of hours playing Minishoot Adventures. Aside it feeling a little hard to navigate the map at times (compass and other upgrades help, but I constantly find myself double back wondering if I missed something, the game is a fantastic mix of a top down Zelda style, Metroidvanida progression, and bullet hell shmups. Usually Id have waited a little bit after just finishing Lone Fungus, but honestly despite both being Metroidvania's in the broadest sense... these two games are basically nothing alike! I do love how the genre can be so vast in terms of just what can count as a Metroidvania.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, a small patch for Biomorph just came out that made some really good QoL changes:

CHANGES
  • It is now possible to quit to desktop from the pause screen.
  • Added option to disable camera shake from the pause screen.
  • Added option to return to the last S.A.F.E. from the pause screen.
  • Added sprint on Harlo and Biomorph forms by holding the dodge button.
  • Added additional landmarks on the Sentinel Complex map to improve navigation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im completely gluged to Minishoots Adventures right now... Im basically at the end game dungeon I think, Im just doing some more overworld stuff while I can... Gotta say, I love this game, its paced well, gameplay wise its excellent and it just feels satisfying to explore and find the various hidden stuff (and thankfully the game goes out of its way to denote which caves/areas still have stuff in them to collect.
Only complaints I have are that its not 100% smooth on my Steam Deck (its almost perfect though), and the game always crashes when I select the quit option, but seeing as its just two people working on the game, I cant be mad. Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'll chime in on the Minishoot' love. This is a perfect first foray into shmups for people like me who don't typically play shmups. The penalty for death is not at all grueling or even that consequential. You just respawn and have to get back to where you were. The upgrades feel like they matter. The only complaint I really have is the plot which is almost entirely nonexistent.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wrapping up knight witch and as its a shmup all y'all's talk about mini shoot means i might play it next!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, done the ending and true endings on Minishoot now. Since I have the arena unlocked, playing that because it plays so darn good lol. Definitely suggest going after the true final boss... its a great ender for what is an excellent game. Only issue I had accessing it was making sense of which of the entrances on the map would take me to where the last things I needed were (if an area has multiple entrances, the map marks all of them and its sorta down to you to figure out what it means lol.
The arena is pretty bad on Steam Deck though, frame rate tanks like Im playing a 8bit micro port of a superior arcade game lol.

I may play something else next (genre wise), or start Ghost Song which looks superb as well.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Started Biomorph and beat the second boss. Much trickier than the first one, especially because the boss can do so much damage and you don't get many i-frames in this game when you get damaged. Needed few tries to win. Having fun so far tho.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Im completely gluged to Minishoots Adventures right now... Im basically at the end game dungeon I think, Im just doing some more overworld stuff while I can... Gotta say, I love this game, its paced well, gameplay wise its excellent and it just feels satisfying to explore and find the various hidden stuff (and thankfully the game goes out of its way to denote which caves/areas still have stuff in them to collect.
Only complaints I have are that its not 100% smooth on my Steam Deck (its almost perfect though), and the game always crashes when I select the quit option, but seeing as its just two people working on the game, I cant be mad. Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

I like the idea of the game but want to know how much they lean into the bullet hell descriptor I've seen it tagged with. Guess I could just watch a bit of the 2 full game clear videos that are in the steam guides sections but really don't feel like doing that.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
store.steampowered.com

Carpathian Night Starring Bela Lugosi on Steam

Prince Dracula, Lord of the Vampires, has returned from the Devil's Scholomance with the Army of the Dead at his back! Guide vampire hunters Abbot Dorin and Irina Dracul across the monster plagued countryside and into the heart of the ancient Castle Dracula!

A pretty open-ended blend of classic Vania and Metroidvania with its exploration - excellent Bloodlines-style two character system and it controls far better than I expected

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of the game but want to know how much they lean into the bullet hell descriptor I've seen it tagged with. Guess I could just watch a bit of the 2 full game clear videos that are in the steam guides sections but really don't feel like doing that.
If your wondering difficulty wise - bullets are pretty slow so evasion isnt really a problem. This isnt Cave level challenge (well, at least on normal difficulty), plus there's various upgrades that make things easier still. It controls sublime as well, so the bosses etc. really arent too bad, the only time it gets really wild is the optional post game arena.

store.steampowered.com

Prince Dracula, Lord of the Vampires, has returned from the Devil's Scholomance with the Army of the Dead at his back! Guide vampire hunters Abbot Dorin and Irina Dracul across the monster plagued countryside and into the heart of the ancient Castle Dracula!

A pretty open-ended blend of classic Vania and Metroidvania with its exploration - excellent Bloodlines-style two character system and it controls far better than I expected
That one passed me by completely, thanks for the heads up. Loving the sprite work there, another one for my wishlist!

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
If your wondering difficulty wise - bullets are pretty slow so evasion isnt really a problem. This isnt Cave level challenge (well, at least on normal difficulty), plus there's various upgrades that make things easier still. It controls sublime as well, so the bosses etc. really arent too bad, the only time it gets really wild is the optional post game arena.

That one passed me by completely, thanks for the heads up. Loving the sprite work there, another one for my wishlist!
I only found it via a random search on Steam and was like well what the heck why not. I liked Crypt Stalker a lot and felt like mora vania-like action. Magicians Chase on switch is another fun vania-like when using the whip-wielder

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

If you're interested, some of the folks who worked on that game have also contributed to Chronicles of the Wolf, which is more of a Metroidvania. Not sure when it's launching, but there's a demo. I don't believe the demo has gamepad support though, but the launch version will.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2371890/Chronicles_of_the_Wolf/

Additionally, if you wanted to see what Castlevania would be like as a Metroid game, there's Castlevania ReVamped, which is fucking incredible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Sw2CGQkK8

Castlevania fans getting nice meals from people within the fandom lately. I can think of an easy handful of classicvanias and Metroidvanias coming directly from the community coming out in the next few years, some of which even I am keeping my mouth quiet on. ;)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you're interested, some of the folks who worked on that game have also contributed to Chronicles of the Wolf, which is more of a Metroidvania. Not sure when it's launching, but there's a demo. I don't believe the demo has gamepad support though, but the launch version will.

Additionally, if you wanted to see what Castlevania would be like as a Metroid game, there's Castlevania ReVamped, which is fucking incredible.

Castlevania fans getting nice meals from people within the fandom lately. I can think of an easy handful of classicvanias and Metroidvanias coming directly from the community coming out in the next few years, some of which even I am keeping my mouth quiet on. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on both. Wolf looks pretty nice so far, and that CV ReVamped looks terrific, definitely giving that a download asap (off topic sorta - is there a good resource for good CV games made by the fandom? Id like to check a few more out)

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up on both. Wolf looks pretty nice so far, and that CV ReVamped looks terrific, definitely giving that a download asap (off topic sorta - is there a good resource for good CV games made by the fandom? Id like to check a few more out)

I think the Inverted Dungeon lists a lot of them. The Lecarde Chronicles games were made the same people making Chronicles of the Wolf, so if you play those (specifically Lecarde Chronicles II which is a Metroidvania) you'll get a taste of what to expect. Robert Belgrade actually reprises his role as Alucard for the fangame, which is pretty cool.

I'd also like to mention games not listed there worth playing and keeping your eye on. I'd suggest Soul of Dracula, a game inspired by the first two Game Boy Castlevania games. Of course, the biggest fangame coming is Seal of the Eclipse but this is a long ways out because the scope is massive.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Inverted Dungeon lists a lot of them. The Lecarde Chronicles games were made the same people making Chronicles of the Wolf, so if you play those (specifically Lecarde Chronicles II which is a Metroidvania) you'll get a taste of what to expect. Robert Belgrade actually reprises his role as Alucard for the fangame, which is pretty cool.

I'd also like to mention games not listed there worth playing and keeping your eye on. I'd suggest Soul of Dracula, a game inspired by the first two Game Boy Castlevania games. Of course, the biggest fangame coming is Seal of the Eclipse but this is a long ways out because the scope is massive.
Super, really appreciate the response. Will give this all a look thanks.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022

Cool stuff there in both cases - thanks!

Really loving CV Revamped - feels far more modern in its pacing and far less plodding.

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, a small patch for Biomorph just came out that made some really good QoL changes:

CHANGES
  • It is now possible to quit to desktop from the pause screen.
  • Added option to disable camera shake from the pause screen.
  • Added option to return to the last S.A.F.E. from the pause screen.
  • Added sprint on Harlo and Biomorph forms by holding the dodge button.
  • Added additional landmarks on the Sentinel Complex map to improve navigation.

Another patch went live yesterday. It's nice to see regular updates.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

What's it mean with the "starring bela lugosi" thing? Just using his likeness for dracula, or what?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Everyone please don't sleep on Turbo Kid. This game is very special. It's blowing me away so far, easily the best one I've played this year so far.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
Everyone please don't sleep on Turbo Kid. This game is very special. It's blowing me away so far, easily the best one I've played this year so far.

It's absolutely on my wishlist, it looks awesome. After being very disappointed with Biomorph, I'm craving a good solid Metroidvania. It's the next on the list for sure :) thanks for the extra motivation to get it 😅

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear Turbo Kid is supposed to be decent. Not something Im getting straight away, but will no doubt get soon.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Lasth Faith is releasing soon in physical format. In your opinion how good is it? Worth to buy limited edition (50 EUR, 100 pages artbook+soundtrack+art cards) or better to go with standard edition (30 EUR)?

It's alright, but it's important to highlight that they've completely abandoned the console versions. The Steam version had quite a lot of fixes/adjustments in a bigger 1.5 patch at the start of the year, and they promised to release it around February for the console version. Many months later, it never showed up so for this reason alone I regret ever buying the PS5 version.

Ouch, that's very unfortunate. Maybe they will publish upgrade alongside physical release, hmmm.
I didn't know they stopped patching it! That is terrible. I really enjoyed the game. I think it is a very high quality Blasphemous style Metroidvania. But it did need some patches.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's it mean with the "starring bela lugosi" thing? Just using his likeness for dracula, or what?

I believe it means the developers got approval from the Lugosi family to use his likeness. Similarly, the Metroidvania Dracula: Dark Reign which is coming out for the Game Boy Color (you read that right!!) of all things is backed by the Stoker estate and is a Metroidvania adaptation of the novel.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
store.steampowered.com

That looks cool. One negative review mentioned infinite lives and instant respawn, how does this work exactly? Are there checkpoints?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lasth Faith is releasing soon in physical format. In your opinion how good is it? Worth to buy limited edition (50 EUR, 100 pages artbook+soundtrack+art cards) or better to go with standard edition (30 EUR)?
Standard is probably fine. It's a great Metroidvania and better than Blasphemous IMO

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

Agreed. Picked this up yesterday and fired it up just to mess around and lost over an hour in an instant.

It's absolutely on my wishlist, it looks awesome. After being very disappointed with Biomorph, I'm craving a good solid Metroidvania. It's the next on the list for sure :) thanks for the extra motivation to get it 😅

Glad to hear Turbo Kid is supposed to be decent. Not something Im getting straight away, but will no doubt get soon.

Is Turbo Kid like Laika? I hated how they controlled and how you had to do flips to reload.

I just played through the first hour on my lunch and it's great so far! You only briefly get a limited play with the bike mechanic in the first hour so I can't comment on how it changes up the platforming but it's very satisfying without it.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it means the developers got approval from the Lugosi family to use his likeness. Similarly, the Metroidvania Dracula: Dark Reign which is coming out for the Game Boy Color (you read that right!!) of all things is backed by the Stoker estate and is a Metroidvania adaptation of the novel.
huh, that's actually really cool. I was worried it was some AI thing, lol

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Finished touhou luna nights, felt like a very over hyped game. Very pretty but ultimately shallow. Bad metriod and castlevania parts. Obnoxious enemy design towards the end too. Ok bosses. 6/10, hope their next foray is better.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely in for Chronicles of the Wolf. I also really liked Wallachia. They may not be much to look at, but Wallachia played really well. I didn't realize they also did Aggelos, which was a great little game as well so they've earned my trust.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Finally began Prince Of Persia The Lost Crown last night, about 4 hours in and really enjoying it.
My backlog on Metroidvanias is getting a bit excessive, there are so many I want to play that I end up just doing something else because I can't decide lol

hutton

Feb 20, 2018
I have two days off from work starting the day after tomorrow and I want to play either Islets or Greak: Memories of Azur. Is any of those games beatable in under 12-13 hours?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I have two days off from work starting the day after tomorrow and I want to play either Islets or Greak: Memories of Azur. Is any of those games beatable in under 12-13 hours?
My 100% save for Islets is sitting at about 7 hour. It's also a very charming and a quality game and I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a bite sized Metroidvania.

rabidtanuki

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone want an Asia region steam key for Blasphemous 2? I accidentally bought the wrong region because I'm a dumbass and cant return it. DM me. First one gets it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Greak is also short, I beat it in a weekend. Maybe you can rush through both but probably just best to stick with Islets maybe? I haven't played it, but Greak isn't really a proper metroidvania if that's what you're after right now. Definitely try it out at some point though.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
As usual quite a lot of MVs coming up next month, among them those 3 got my attention:

Not sure how much MV there's in it. Seems to be a 2d Sekiro inspired action-platformer set in a « Tao punk » (Taoism and cyberpunk) interconnected world.

store.steampowered.com

Nine Sols on Steam

Nine Sols is a lore rich, hand-drawn 2D action-platformer featuring Sekiro-inspired deflection focused combat. Embark on a journey of eastern fantasy, explore the land once home to an ancient alien race, and follow a vengeful hero’s quest to slay the 9 Sols, formidable rulers of this forsaken realm.

This one is steampunk with great pixel art and I love the color pallet.

store.steampowered.com

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder on Steam

Inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative in a stunningly handcrafted steampunk world.

2.5D with day & night cycle. I also like the artistic direction.

store.steampowered.com

Venture to the Vile on Steam

Dive into the strange town of Rainybrook, taken over by the “Vile” in this 2.5D metroidvania! Fight your way through treacherous terrains and defeat formidable bosses to absorb their powers! Will you save the town and find your missing friend Ella — or will you give in to the monster you've become?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
As usual quite a lot of MVs coming up next month, among them those 3 got my attention:

Not sure how much MV there's in it. Seems to be a 2d Sekiro inspired action-platformer set in a « Tao punk » (Taoism and cyberpunk) interconnected world.

store.steampowered.com

Nine Sols on Steam

Nine Sols is a lore rich, hand-drawn 2D action-platformer featuring Sekiro-inspired deflection focused combat. Embark on a journey of eastern fantasy, explore the land once home to an ancient alien race, and follow a vengeful hero’s quest to slay the 9 Sols, formidable rulers of this forsaken realm.

store.steampowered.com

Inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative in a stunningly handcrafted steampunk world.

store.steampowered.com

Dive into the strange town of Rainybrook, taken over by the “Vile” in this 2.5D metroidvania! Fight your way through treacherous terrains and defeat formidable bosses to absorb their powers! Will you save the town and find your missing friend Ella — or will you give in to the monster you've become?
Played demos for all 3. Venture to the Vile didn't really grab me, the controls were awkward.

Nine Sols is very fluid and yes, totally Sekiro-like.

Gestalt is pretty and fun.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Anyone want an Asia region steam key for Blasphemous 2? I accidentally bought the wrong region because I'm a dumbass and cant return it. DM me. First one gets it.

Be kind to yourself!

store.steampowered.com

Nine Sols on Steam

store.steampowered.com

store.steampowered.com

put them all into my veins. Wishlisted

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Played demos for all 3. Venture to the Vile didn't really grab me, the controls were awkward.

Nine Sols is very fluid and yes, totally Sekiro-like.

Gestalt is pretty and fun.

Yeah Venture to the Vile looks a bit stiff and slow, but I'm really digging the art style, so I'm willing to give it a try at least.