• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Lasth Faith is releasing soon in physical format. In your opinion how good is it? Worth to buy limited edition (50 EUR, 100 pages artbook+soundtrack+art cards) or better to go with standard edition (30 EUR)?

I can vouch for Last Faith

Really great game. Checks all the boxes for a solid Metroidvania romp with Souls influences.

Boss Battles in particular are a highlight.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sevearl hours into Ghost Song now. Im liking it quite a bit, though there's a few mechanics that dont quite land for me yet.

First off, the game remains gorgeous throughout, I love the graphical style its using. Also, excellent audio, there's some great music in there and some really good sound effects/voice clips that really help boost those tense moments fighting bosses.

The mix of shooting and melee feels well designed, and feeds well into...

Bosses. They feel legit dangerous. The first couple feel straight forward but the fact they hit hard, have quite a bit of health, and amp up in danger when their later phases hit, means I take multiple tries to beat them... the dodge through attacks is so darn useful, though for bigger weapons that really doesnt help one bit since you still get clipped by the weapon and take damage. What also makes the bosses tough/tense is that you can only shoot so much else your weapon overheats, and for some of these bosses you really have to learn when its even feasible to dash in for a quick melee attack. It all wraps up to make some pretty tough fights, at least compared to other Metroidvania's Ive played recently.

However, the map can sometimes be unclear about paths, but more annoyingly, I dont like the way getting KOed = permanent damage until you repair it. And the more times you get KOed the more of that damage you have. So essentially it kicks you more and more while your down. If your trying to do a tough boss and its taking a few tries, your being punished more and more because repair stations dont tend to be near bosses... That + losing all currency on KO means you then gotta go out and grind for currency (or find the spot you went down) else you cant get repaired. I know Souls has a sorta similar system, I just feel that works better...

Otherwise, Im loving it. As with Lone Fungus, early on the game tells you where you need to go explicitly, and its just up to you to make your way to each marked location, opening up more of the map + getting more powers as you go.

Not the best in the genre Ive played, but still one of the better ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Sevearl hours into Ghost Song now. Im liking it quite a bit, though there's a few mechanics that dont quite land for me yet.

First off, the game remains gorgeous throughout, I love the graphical style its using. Also, excellent audio, there's some great music in there and some really good sound effects/voice clips that really help boost those tense moments fighting bosses.

The mix of shooting and melee feels well designed, and feeds well into...

Bosses. They feel legit dangerous. The first couple feel straight forward but the fact they hit hard, have quite a bit of health, and amp up in danger when their later phases hit, means I take multiple tries to beat them... the dodge through attacks is so darn useful, though for bigger weapons that really doesnt help one bit since you still get clipped by the weapon and take damage. What also makes the bosses tough/tense is that you can only shoot so much else your weapon overheats, and for some of these bosses you really have to learn when its even feasible to dash in for a quick melee attack. It all wraps up to make some pretty tough fights, at least compared to other Metroidvania's Ive played recently.

However, the map can sometimes be unclear about paths, but more annoyingly, I dont like the way getting KOed = permanent damage until you repair it. And the more times you get KOed the more of that damage you have. So essentially it kicks you more and more while your down. If your trying to do a tough boss and its taking a few tries, your being punished more and more because repair stations dont tend to be near bosses... That + losing all currency on KO means you then gotta go out and grind for currency (or find the spot you went down) else you cant get repaired. I know Souls has a sorta similar system, I just feel that works better...

Otherwise, Im loving it. As with Lone Fungus, early on the game tells you where you need to go explicitly, and its just up to you to make your way to each marked location, opening up more of the map + getting more powers as you go.

Not the best in the genre Ive played, but still one of the better ones.
I thought Ghost Song was a really cool game that was tangibly hurt by its souls elements. It had enough style and challenge to stand on its own but for some reason it just had to have really punitive, annoying consequences too.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
I wasn't too fond of the mix of melee and ranged in Ghost Song, tbh. It really pushed for getting in close and scrapping in melee, but the melee options never really felt fleshed out enough for that. With the systems in place there could have been more build variety to spec into different playstyles, but the damage falloff on the gun really hampered going into that.

Had good atmosphere and I did enjoy it otherwise, though, it just could have been greater and felt like two systems that weren't properly meshed together.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Ghost Song was a really cool game that was tangibly hurt by its souls elements. It had enough style and challenge to stand on its own but for some reason it just had to have really punitive, annoying consequences too.

Yeah, I definitely kinda feel that way as well. Its not really adding anything to the game positively, just feels like that stuff is added because its the in thing at the moment.

I wasn't too fond of the mix of melee and ranged in Ghost Song, tbh. It really pushed for getting in close and scrapping in melee, but the melee options never really felt fleshed out enough for that. With the systems in place there could have been more build variety to spec into different playstyles, but the damage falloff on the gun really hampered going into that.

Had good atmosphere and I did enjoy it otherwise, though, it just could have been greater and felt like two systems that weren't properly meshed together.
While Im enjoying the mix, I do found Ive sorta hit a rut with the melee in terms of which weapon to use. I got the staff early on and love it, its fast, good range and decent damage. The weapons I get after are all insanely slow swords or axes, and with how little time you get to attack bosses with melee, I just dont see a case where the slower weapons are worth it, so Ive just sorta stuff with what Ive got. Not really ran into any roadblocks so far with this setup, but I dont really feel like experimenting, since everything else just kinda feels worse lol.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

I feel that way about most Metroidvanias that have started adding stuff from Souls games. It's odd because they're two of my favourite subgenres, but I don't like the merging of them together.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
As usual quite a lot of MVs coming up next month, among them those 3 got my attention:

Not sure how much MV there's in it. Seems to be a 2d Sekiro inspired action-platformer set in a « Tao punk » (Taoism and cyberpunk) interconnected world.

store.steampowered.com

Nine Sols on Steam

Nine Sols is a lore rich, hand-drawn 2D action-platformer featuring Sekiro-inspired deflection focused combat. Embark on a journey of eastern fantasy, explore the land once home to an ancient alien race, and follow a vengeful hero’s quest to slay the 9 Sols, formidable rulers of this forsaken realm.

This one is steampunk with great pixel art and I love the color pallet.

store.steampowered.com

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder on Steam

Inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative in a stunningly handcrafted steampunk world.

2.5D with day & night cycle. I also like the artistic direction.

store.steampowered.com

Venture to the Vile on Steam

Dive into the strange town of Rainybrook, taken over by the “Vile” in this 2.5D metroidvania! Fight your way through treacherous terrains and defeat formidable bosses to absorb their powers! Will you save the town and find your missing friend Ella — or will you give in to the monster you've become?
Really looking forward to Steam and Cinder. Quite a few peeps weren't that impressed with the demo but i thought it was amazing. It just played real well and it was very polished. It's finally coming out and i can't wait to sink my teeth into the full release.

Also interested in 9Sols. Just from the presentation it has me intrigued. Hope it plays well.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
Really looking forward to Steam and Cinder. Quite a few peeps weren't that impressed with the demo but i thought it was amazing. It just played real well and it was very polished. It's finally coming out and i can't wait to sink my teeth into the full release.

Also interested in 9Sols. Just from the presentation it has me intrigued. Hope it plays well.
There has been a demo up on steam for the past year or so, so you can check it out! It does play really well from my experience with it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Really didn't like how this felt. Probably not even going to bother finishing it.
I beat it last night and think the problem is the turnaround on the character isn't prioritized enough. Air-dashing or jumping past an enemy generally left me swiping at air because I thought I'd told the game to face the enemy before starting the attack and it disagreed.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Metroidvanias feel like the ultimate comfort food genre.

Theres always 200 new ones just right around the corner, they're super easy to play but still can have really satisfying RPG progressions/exploration, etc.

They check a lot of boxes. For me, its kind of the ultimate evolution of platforming games from back in the day.

Hmm...need a 2D classic Mega Man with Hollow knight badges and an interconnected map now. Give me that fangame.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that way about most Metroidvanias that have started adding stuff from Souls games. It's odd because they're two of my favourite subgenres, but I don't like the merging of them together.
Yeah, I think its part of why I didn't take to Grime as much as I wanted to.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvanias feel like the ultimate comfort food genre.

Theres always 200 new ones just right around the corner, they're super easy to play but still can have really satisfying RPG progressions/exploration, etc.

They check a lot of boxes. For me, its kind of the ultimate evolution of platforming games from back in the day.

Hmm...need a 2D classic Mega Man with Hollow knight badges and an interconnected map now. Give me that fangame.

Google Search Mega Man X Corrupted

Then cry at the knowledge that its been on development for almost a decade with sign of release timeline

Amazing youtube vids of the gameplay and he runs a discord and still does livestreams of the game

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Just started Aeterna Noctis and I'm liking the premise! Grammar seems very hit or miss but gameplay is starting out well enough

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just finished TEVI in expert at 100%, after 44 hours! Fantastic game! Music, fight, amount of content, everything is great! Like rabi-ribi it's a bit too horny to my taste, but it was nice seeing some different stuff like a pretty well executed trans girl, with nice dialogue with it, and a buff af woman too

My only complaint compared to rabi-ribi, is that aside from finding potion or sigils, you can't do anything outside the main story... the beginning makes you think you will be able to follow multiple objectives and bosses/upgrades, but nope, after that it quickly becomes quite linear in term of upgrade and bosses, only 1 path available

it didn't prevent me from exploring and finding more potion and sigils, but i wish there were still bosses and movement upgrade available on these multiple path

View: https://youtu.be/m-Lm29CYgVg

View: https://youtu.be/4Ux-5e9doDA?list=PLhHTF1CtGiaIOxmb7-4fzHL9s3vhtMiGz

Last edited:

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I just finished the demo of Gestalt: Steam & Cinder. It's a really pretty game with some great character designs and I am always up for a cool female protagonist! It ended right before something probably really awesome would happen, so I'm kinda hooked on getting the full game once it's out!

Some pics of the characters:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

HighDrama

Jan 17, 2023
I just finished the demo of Gestalt: Steam & Cinder. It's a really pretty game with some great character designs and I am always up for a cool female protagonist! It ended right before something probably really awesome would happen, so I'm kinda hooked on getting the full game once it's out!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Will it come to console?

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
I've been waiting for this one for years now, I can't believe it's almost here. Aletheia looks so cool...
Just finished the game in expert at 100%, after 44 hours! Fantastic game! Music, fight, amount of content, everything is great! Like rabi-ribi it's a bit too horny to my taste, but it was nice seeing some different stuff like a pretty well executed trans girl, with nice dialogue with it, and a buff af woman too

My only complaint compared to rabi-ribi, is that aside from finding potion or sigils, you can't do anything outside the main story... the beginning makes you think you will be able to follow multiple objectives and bosses/upgrades, but nope, after that it quickly becomes quite linear in term of upgrade and bosses, only 1 path available

it didn't prevent me from exploring and finding more potion and sigils, but i wish there were still bosses and movement upgrade available on these multiple path
What game?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to beat Biomorph, got a true ending and found 100% collectables. Very good game, with some unnecessary back and forth traveling in few quests. The fast travel is very good, but needing materials to upgrade checkpoints to enable fast travel is completely unnecessary. In the end you can upgrade them all anyway. The extra health container placement in this game is very weird. You get one as memento or two passive ones that you get only very late in the game. Other than corpse runs to retrieve your currency, I fail to see how this game is a soulslike at all, unless you count dodging through attacks as a soulslike feature.

Last edited:

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yeah I love the art style of this game (both portraits and pixel art). Really hope it delivers.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Along with Dark Souls, I think I'm also kind of wary of Hollow Knight's influence becuase I love leveling up in metroidvanias and gaining XP for my lizard brain.

Hollow Knight kind of sidesteps all that for a badge system which is fine but not my upgrade path preference to be honest.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Akatori demo is all right. Despite saying that it plays back with the controller, the game defaults to my favourite keyboard setup (arrows for movement, z for attack), and everything's remappable, and feels all right.

Not sold on the story/setup, but it wasn't bad. My purchasing decision will probably depend on the price/what else is releasing around the same time. Some of the writing made me chuckle.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
The person behind the website metroidvania.gg is back with a new website. The new website shows released and upcoming metroidvanias.

Metroidvania.GG

Home to everything Metroidvania

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Moonlight Pulse is launching at under 10 bucks?

Hot damn, thats going to be a good deal if it turns out even half as good as people were hyping it up to be.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized the OT probably needs a major refresh, with all the broken screens and games posted long released.

The person behind the website metroidvania.gg is back with a new website. The new website shows released and upcoming metroidvanias.

Metroidvania.GG

Home to everything Metroidvania
That's pretty cool.
I'm still patiently awaiting for that La-Mulana 3 announcement one day. likely never

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna draft it on fantasy critic and they didn't even have it listed. I messaged them and got it, I just hope it gets enough reviews to qualify
Sounds like its short and sweet too which I imagine is a plus for some.

I don't mind, I got like twenty metroidvanias to go through.

I thought this was going to be the year I caught up on JRPGs but genre is currently fighting a tug of war with this one for my attention.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Thoughts after my first evening with Moonlight Pulse: Trying to keep a giant space turtle healthy is hard work. Before you know it, it's almost 4 AM.

The game's bosses aren't particularly tough, but they do require patience, and I was clearly lacking this.
There's also a few scripted encounters where the Big Bad keeps teleporting waves of enemies at you as you're coming back towards a checkpoint, which can get annoying.

The story is very much a "power of friendship" romp, since you are looking at a team-based adventure, where switching between cast in order to use their unique traversal powers is key. The main story doesn't require anything particularly tricky, but trying to get some of the more difficult powerups requires you to switch characters on the fly.

Overall, unsurprisingly, I'm loving this. People looking for something that's both short and original owe it tot themselves to check this one out.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2243250/Moonlight_Pulse/

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Thoughts after my first evening with Moonlight Pulse: Trying to keep a giant space turtle healthy is hard work. Before you know it, it's almost 4 AM.

The game's bosses aren't particularly tough, but they do require patience, and I was clearly lacking this.
There's also a few scripted encounters where the Big Bad keeps teleporting waves of enemies at you as you're coming back towards a checkpoint, which can get annoying.

The story is very much a "power of friendship" romp, since you are looking at a team-based adventure, where switching between cast in order to use their unique traversal powers is key. The main story doesn't require anything particularly tricky, but trying to get some of the more difficult powerups requires you to switch characters on the fly.

Overall, unsurprisingly, I'm loving this. People looking for something that's both short and original owe it tot themselves to check this one out.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2243250/Moonlight_Pulse/

The gameplay here looks great, thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen this before. (The art is a little off-putting for me personally, but not enough to keep me from trying it out). This really shows a good amount of genre knowledge and love with all these gameplay mechanics being used with this CV3 style.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing Tales of Kenzera: Zau for a bit and it's passable. The story and the characters are enjoyable (the theme is hitting me hard since I heavily relate), the graphics/environmental art direction's great, the controls are snappy but it's very thin and basic for being a metroidvania. The level design has way too much dead space in it and is full of insta-kill traps that are annoying, and you run or navigate through it in a very rudimentary way. Since there are barely any items to pick up as well, the lack of rewarding exploration really stands out. And there's a distinct lack of enemy variety considering just how much you're fighting in the game. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a shame it wasn't more than this.

Anyway, regarding my earlier warnings about The Last Faith's console release, they've FINALLY patched it so it's baselined with the PC release. It also allowed me to easily snag the Platinum trophy. GET! And uninstalled.

Last edited:

robotnikus

Oct 24, 2023
Been playing Tales of Kenzera: Zau for a bit and it's passable. The story and the characters are enjoyable (the theme is hitting me hard since I heavily relate), the graphics/environmental art direction's great, the controls are snappy but it's very thin and basic for being a metroidvania. The level design has way too much dead space in it and is full of insta-kill traps that are annoying, and you run or navigate through it in a very rudimentary way. Since there are barely any items to pick up as well, the lack of rewarding exploration really stands out. And there's a distinct lack of enemy variety considering just how much you're fighting in the game. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a shame it wasn't more than this.

Anyway, regarding my earlier warnings about The Last Faith's console release, they've FINALLY patched it so it's baselined with the PC release. It also allowed me to easily snag the Platinum trophy. GET! And uninstalled.
Fully agreed on Zau, also almost got platinum.

- Low enemies variety.
- Movement isn't fluid and there is a weird stacking from time to time
- Annoying challenges (not hard at all, but in case of dying you need to start from the beginning. For example, I liked Grime's DLC better)
- Story about loss is nothing special, character's growth is minimal
- Exploration sucks, nothing interesting hidden

I'd say 6/10 at best.

Last Faith - great news! Might grab that physical edition in the end.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

I gave it a quick whirl yesterday, just to see how the controls are in the release version.

I still need to use razer's built in software to map movement away from WASD.
Combat in this game would be better without the aim attacks, I'd be able to just play with keyboard only.

Decent setting, at least.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Played and got 100% completion in Pampas and Selene-demo. I really love these kind of games and almost everything hit just the right note in this one. Dash was little awkward when stopping on same ground but I can live with it. Can't wait for the 21th when the full game is released.

Apr 24, 2024
What are some of the best console metroidvanias with no soulslike combat that have come out recently? I just don't particularly jive with that style of combat on the 2D plane, and prefer my MVs to be big on exploration and atmosphere. I'm looking forward to Animal Well for example.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of the best console metroidvanias with no soulslike combat that have come out recently? I just don't particularly jive with that style of combat on the 2D plane, and prefer my MVs to be big on exploration and atmosphere. I'm looking forward to Animal Well for example.

Prince of Persia among the recent ones. If you're looking for one with an incredible atmosphere, then I'd recommend Laika. It's a hard game, but it's very much worth adjusting to its gameplay.

store.steampowered.com

Laika: Aged Through Blood on Steam

Laika: Aged Through Blood is a western-inspired motorvania set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It is the story about a tribe oppressed by occupant forces, and the personal story of a mother coyote warrior who descends on an endless path of vengeance to take back what her people lost.

(it's on console too)