• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
The first Guardians was not at all safe. It worked, but even thinking that a Guardians move could work at all was a risk.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Giving Thor Ragnarok to Waititi is the sort of thing where people say "well, duh, of course that worked out" after the fact but really was a genuine surprise and risk. It's only that once we saw the trailer it was obviously going to be great that it seemed like a safe move.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the people online that usually savage the Marvel movies praise Star Wars to the high heavens never ceases to confuse me. I wonder if it's a generational thing since most of the whole online film critic scene is mid-30s. As in, Star Wars is quintessentially a GenX brand while the MCU could've only happened in the millennial age. It makes me wonder if the MCU gets treated more like a punching bag in some circles because the people doing it have a cultural blindspot like a lot of other stuff this gen.

I know it sounds weird, but it would explain the weird-ass talking point I've seen around that the MCU is some flash in the pan. They're looking at it from the perspective of a modern GenXer instead of trying to imagine what the MCU looks like to a 8 year old today, like how Star Wars was built on kids that were 8 when they saw it in 1977.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Giving Thor Ragnarok to Waititi is the sort of thing where people say "well, duh, of course that worked out" after the fact but really was a genuine surprise and risk. It's only that once we saw the trailer it was obviously going to be great that it seemed like a safe move.

Yeah. Every Marvel movie is "safe" by virtue of being part of a brand that people have absolute trust in.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I always think it's pretty strange when people write about having dreamt about Marvel or other stuff that interests them, but lo and behold, it happened to me last night, when I dreamt about Marvel releasing trailers for Jessica Jones S2, Luke Cage S2 and Iron Fist S2 and Iron Fist donning his iconic green and yellow suit with the yellow mask. Fucking hell man.

With that said, I'm off to buy some Marvel comics at the huge Comixology sale.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The next Iron Fist season should be called 2 Iron Fists because it's fucking dumb he only turns one on.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Seeing the people online that usually savage the Marvel movies praise Star Wars to the high heavens never ceases to confuse me. I wonder if it's a generational thing since most of the whole online film critic scene is mid-30s. As in, Star Wars is quintessentially a GenX brand while the MCU could've only happened in the millennial age. It makes me wonder if the MCU gets treated more like a punching bag in some circles because the people doing it have a cultural blindspot like a lot of other stuff this gen.

I know it sounds weird, but it would explain the weird-ass talking point I've seen around that the MCU is some flash in the pan. They're looking at it from the perspective of a modern GenXer instead of trying to imagine what the MCU looks like to a 8 year old today, like how Star Wars was built on kids that were 8 when they saw it in 1977.
Well there are way more Marvel movies than Star Wars movies and in a much shorter period.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
No Marvel movie is exactly daring. I mean, there's nothing avant garde about them, it's not like we're going to see something like the Lobster or Boyhood or Tree of Life in this genre. But it's not like they need to be ground breaking to be interesting. Heck, very few movies are groundbreaking, yet if you deliver a good story with well built characters, then you deliver a good movie. And that's what Marvel does. Of course, they don't just run the same formula over and over (despite what people say). It's already been shown that Marvel movies are ultimately shaped by their directors (starting with Phase 1) but they also try to make the theme of each story shine through.

As for 'risky' movies. Any time a movie has a $150-200M budget, there's a risk. Even more so when it has unproven actors playing unproven characters under an unproven director, such as the case with Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Doctor Strange.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Watched through four episodes today and finished The Punisher. I absolutely loved it, and it is up there among the best that has come out of the MCU. Not entirely sure of which of Daredevil [S1] and The Punisher [S1] that is the better one, but for now I'll say I enjoyed Daredevil a little bit more because of the rendition of William Fisk and Daredevil being my favorite IP out of Marvel. Oh, and I loved the whole friendship with Karen and Foggy.

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
2. Daredevil [S1]
3. The Punisher [S1]
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a clean version of this poster? Wallpaper sized if possible:

thanos-infinity-war-p4jsv0.jpg

My google-fu has failed me :(

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Saw some suggested clips then watched the Cap elevator/Quinjet scene and Winter Soldier killing Sitwell. Now I feel like watching The Winter Soldier again, that movie was so fucking good. When does the MCU Marathon thingy start and is there a thread for it exactly? I just remember it being discussed. Would love to go back and watch each movie.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo there hasn't been a single mention of the greater MCU in Runaways, correct? I'm enjoying the show a lot but I was disappointed when Alex wasn't shown playing Marvel Heroes or something :-P

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
The only reference to the wider MCU in Runaways is WHiH News playing on a tv in one of the episodes.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For context, Lorraine Cink is a YouTube host and Senior Creative Producer at Marvel. She deleted the tweet again, it seems because apparently they were only talking about the old Blade films. We'll see tho.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Black Panther does for PoC superheroes what Wonder Woman did for female superheroes (though it's hopefully better than WW too)

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Had some fun with Disc Jam on my own, but deleted it after playing it for just a couple of hours. Maybe it's a lot more fun playing it with a friend.
Anyway, nice get for Nintendo.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are two black clubs going to the theatre to see BP

At my white ass college

It's very possible to have an all black showing of a movie every black person is excited for

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fun isn't something one considers when balancing this universe...but this does put a smile on my face.
UxI5RH6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.