• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you do dumpster diving?

• Yes!

Votes: 143 31.6%
  • Gross dude.

Votes: 328 72.4%

• Total voters

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about OP finding some cool tech, but dude found beef jerky...

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
uTWUNuE.gif

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I would try it one night I suppose

Sounds fun if you found really cool shit

OP should consider updating the thread of his hauls

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am very fortunate in that I do not have to make those decision. If the OP is accustomed to these practices, I'm sure he or she knows how to determine if the packaging has been compromised, can read the dates on the packages, and washed the packaging. OP, you do what you need to do.

Exactly. its a fucking shame how much still perfectly usable food is thrown away every day. People like OP arent idiots who eat raw flesh out of the trash, that sealed jerky, if not over its time, will be perfectly fine.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'd dive for some cool furniture, but for food, HELL NO. You have no idea how it's been stored.

Please make a gif of you eating it and post here, so we can see if you are OK.

OP
OP

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yoooooooo I get that it's cured and dried and shit, but don't eat that!

You have no idea what the conditions of storage on that.

I work as a security guard at a pharmacy the manager put it all in ONE bag Next to the dumpster at the store I work at securing. It was only outside for like 3 hours at 35 degrees Fahrenheit. All of the jerky expires next month. I work at cvs as a security guard where this was thrown in their dumpster.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly. its a fucking shame how much still perfectly usable food is thrown away every day. People like OP arent idiots who eat raw flesh out of the trash, that sealed jerky, if not over its time, will be perfectly fine.
This. I'm actually surprised at the deluge of negative reactions here. Are you all unaware how much damn food is thrown away for no good reason? It's a huge mess.

It's definitely not for everyone, and sometimes it's too much for me too, but the amounts of perfectly fine food I've found is ridiculous. I did this a TON in Norway and we feasted like kings AND saved so much money.

In Germany there's a growing food sharing initiative that aims to save this food before it reaches the dumpster by having trusted people collect it from supermarkets and stuff and distribute it among the community.

Lots of weird knee jerk reactions in here I didn't quite expect from ERA tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There was book set of CS Lewis, Lion, Witch and Wardrobe that I saw in a shared dumpster as I was taking out my garbage. No regrets grabbing that.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Been dumpsterdiving many times. It is not like you are diving through rotten vegetables or stuff like this. Usually (at least where I did) they used special boxes where they put the food, it was not thrown together with the other trash from the supermarket. You had yoghurts just a day above expiration, bread and everything which was perfectly fine. None was rotten and most were in the original package and in good shape. People seem to think something must be wrong if the food is thrown away. Well it is: most of it is expired by one or two days. But all of it was still fine. People need to understand that the experation date is the recommended time span to eat the product. It does not mean that it iturns to poison, the day it expires.
The only problem I see with it is the legality. It is illegal to dumpster dive in Germany, because it is still the property of the supermarket. And as far as I know they get paid for the recycling, so they do not want you to do it.
I think it is a shame that perfectly fine goods are thrown away. In my case the supermarket at one time knew people were dumpster diving at their place and threw open shampoo bottles and other stuff like ketchup on top of the dumpster goods so that it was to disgusting to get the food out of it.
Could easily reduce my grocery spending by half at that time, what a shame. If it was possible I would still do it, even if I am not a student anymore and get paid well. Just out of principle.

Last edited:

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
This. I'm actually surprised at the deluge of negative reactions here. Are you all unaware how much damn food is thrown away for no good reason? It's a huge mess.

It's definitely not for everyone, and sometimes it's too much for me too, but the amounts of perfectly fine food I've found is ridiculous. I did this a TON in Norway and we feasted like kings AND saved so much money.

In Germany there's a growing food sharing initiative that aims to save this food before it reaches the dumpster by having trusted people collect it from supermarkets and stuff and distribute it among the community.

Lots of weird knee jerk reactions in here I didn't quite expect from ERA tbh.
1. Weird knee jerk reactions are an ERA specialty
2. Sealed or not I'm not pulling food that is suppose to be non perishable out of a dumpster and eating it. I don't want to find out what went wrong for them to go "Yeah get rid of that."

OP
OP

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean that's a good brand and all but are you really gonna eat jerky out of the garbage and not get sick? Is it worth the risk?
i have ate like 5 of them since Saturday and food poison symptoms occur within 48 hours at the most. I feel fine, if anyone wants me to post a video or a gif of me eating it tell me to do so in this thread.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Dumpster dive at the beginning of summer at a college dorm. The yuppier the college the better.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
2. Sealed or not I'm not pulling food that is suppose to be non perishable out of a dumpster and eating it. I don't want to find out what went wrong for them to go "Yeah get rid of that."
Usually it's past the "best before" date and that's it. I feel like you're putting too much trust into the people deciding what gets tossed and what not.
And there's a reason it's called (or should be called) "best before" and not "eat it before this day or die" date.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017

What went wrong with it is that it reached the arbitrary date on the package saying they can no longer sell it which is always months before the food is actually bad.

OP
OP

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Which means losing money and having perfectly edible food go to waste?
I swear supermarkets have caused such a disconnect between the stuff we buy and where it comes from/where it ends up.
I know right the store i work at throws away tons of food like chocolate, chips and cookies at even expired yet. But its funny some of the food has been recalled like case of water.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the UK, we call it Bin Raiding.

Little fun fact, for you peoples.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
If you're not homeless... why? Why sell your dignity for some free garbo? Just act normal in your life, ffs.

I think people underestimate the effect of loot boxes on youth

lol

Who wants to go have dinner with me at Walmart's dumpsters?

Looks like evidence you'd find at a murder scene.

What went wrong with it is that it reached the arbitrary date on the package saying they can no longer sell it which is always months before the food is actually bad.

At the Smart & Final I used to work at, the opposite was usually true.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if it was any food other than beef jerky I'd prolly be more upset. That good shit is expensive

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I had a step-uncle that did this. He found a discarded & sealed box of a Tone Loc album. He gave everyone a copy for a Christmas gift.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:X God no. We throw away food sometimes because the dog got into it, or it fell on the floor. I could maybe understand prepackaged food being okay, but who knows what happened to open and exposed food found in the garbage.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Not dumpster diving, but my friend's neighborhood growing up used to have a communal bulk trash night. People would get together and go scavenging through other people's stuff for anything they could find. One year we found a PC that just needed a little fixing, and a bunch of D&D books with minis.

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
Doubt Id ever do it outside of work. But as a garbage man we've found many food items and other items in dumpsters/garbage that didnt need to be thrown out.