-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Elizabeth giving Phillip the cold treatment is not cool. She's making it seem like she's a one man army, even making decisions about Paige without him!

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
lol bless Henry's soul
I died @ You sound like you're going to jump out of a window, dad

Dead Philip is back immediately deader than ever

How does Matthew Rhys summon those ethereal shrouds of black that encircle his eyes? How much of that is makeup? The dude is the master of looking miserable.

Keri Russell is looking like shit really good too rn. The brains face was metal as hell.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Um

Paige just saw Elizabeth with a man's brain's splattered all over her face

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
That scene with Philipp and his customer saying to each other "yeah we'll see each other later, yeah totally!" fully knowing it's not true
the.americans.2013.s0ttov4.jpg

is a prime example of "keeping up the face of politeness" BS that western culture propagates.

Whether that scene intentionally contrasts simple and straightforward conduct of Russians in everyday life or not -- it totally works that way for someone from that environment.

I also really liked toilet scene especially how courier tried to move away from X-ray beam as far as possible in a toilet stall.

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
the scenes with phillip trying to deal with the mundanaties of being an american capitalist like he's in mad men kind of drive home how crazy the body count the two of them have racked up between them. even before this season it's like two shows in one at times

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did y'all have nightmares about Elizabeth's face being covered in brain guts

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they're hinting at the decline of travel agencies. I was old enough to remember them in the early 90's.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What is Elizabeth doing have her under-trained spy kid doing reconnaissance, supporting missions? It's bad enough that Elizabeth is turning Paige out as her agent, "working" her, grooming her for a life of danger and confusion. For a mother to do that: it's repugnant. But, at least, Elizabeth used to be excellent at the spycraft. Not anymore. Having her college daughter shadow her on missions is so sloppy. It's inviting mistakes and fuck ups into her already very over-scheduled day as an illegal.

I really hate this Paige-as-spy storyline. It's rendered Elizabeth an incompetent spy.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
- Slate podcast for Ep2
In Episode 2, "Tchaikovsky," showrunners Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields, who wrote this episode, talk about the ways that Claudia and Elizabeth are like a superstar coach and a superstar player, what was going on with the portable X-ray machine, and what Elizabeth was thinking in the episode's final scene. Then Thomas talks with artist Alyssa Monks, who created Erica Haskard's paintings and drawings, about her experience on the show. And finally, set decorator Mila Khalevich and art director Tim Goodmanson talk about the special challenges of creating a set that looks like the home of an artist.
- Brian Grubb's The Americans Anxiety Report

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the x-ray plan from last season, but forget what they would actually be able to see. It's not like it could read papers.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I think her "incompetence" as a spy could more accurately be chalked up to the fact that she's been going at it alone for 3 years now. She's exhausted mentally and physically.
Phillip was right in the end. She is in fact completely burned out and knows in her heart how fucked this all is. The difference is the reaction. Phillip doesn't care so his reaction was to take a step back. Elizabeth was always the hardened soldier super patriot type so what's her reaction tot he same thing as Phillip? Leaning the fuck into it. But she has clearly taken on too much. I don't think she knows what she's even doing anymore, she's just going through the motions and going where people tell her to go. The worst kind of auto pilot/drone.
good stuff thanks!

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, Elizabeth herself argued in her last talk with Tuan that a partner was essential to this work. Deep down, she knows this has been a terrible idea doomed to fail at some point, but she's stubborn as hell and can't concede that point to anyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the lie she fell back on, but somehow I doubt Paige would fall for it...
Seems cleaner (heh) to just say he committed suicide and she ran at him to try to stop him.

I remember the x-ray plan from last season, but forget what they would actually be able to see. It's not like it could read papers.
Objects. Shapes. Which could allow them to learn what kind of technology is being stolen, or perhaps how information is stored.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Phillip was right in the end. She is in fact completely burned out and knows in her heart how fucked this all is. The difference is the reaction. Phillip doesn't care so his reaction was to take a step back. Elizabeth was always the hardened soldier super patriot type so what's her reaction tot he same thing as Phillip? Leaning the fuck into it. But she has clearly taken on too much. I don't think she knows what she's even doing anymore, she's just going through the motions and going where people tell her to go. The worst kind of auto pilot/drone.

Exactly.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think her "incompetence" as a spy could more accurately be chalked up to the fact that she's been going at it alone for 3 years now. She's exhausted mentally and physically.

No doubt. You're right. That exhaustion underlies everything. And perhaps exhaustion is what induces the delusion that involving her under-prepared daughter in these sensitive missions is in anyway a good idea. But as tired and overworked as Elizabeth is, it doesn't convince me as something Elizabeth would do. I mean, she's a fictional character, so she's gonna do whatever the script/show has her do. But she's inserting Paige into these situations where she can't manage the very foreseeable circumstance of being asked for ID or where she's gonna call Elizabeth "Mom" on these spy meet ups.

To me, exhaustion leads to messing up by overseeing things, forgetting things, slipping up kind of passively. But Elizabeth is actively acting on Paige. She is working her. Are those functions/consequences of exhaustion? Or is this a mother who subconsciously wants to sabotage/destroy her kid? That's the only possible reason for a mother to do this to her daughter. And because I don't think Elizabeth wants to hurt Paige at all, it all feels contrived to me. That's why I don't like this Paige the Spy plotline.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still going through S2. Man, Nina really had Stan and Oleg wrapped around her finger lol

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
What is Elizabeth doing have her under-trained spy kid doing reconnaissance, supporting missions? It's bad enough that Elizabeth is turning Paige out as her agent, "working" her, grooming her for a life of danger and confusion. For a mother to do that: it's repugnant. But, at least, Elizabeth used to be excellent at the spycraft. Not anymore. Having her college daughter shadow her on missions is so sloppy. It's inviting mistakes and fuck ups into her already very over-scheduled day as an illegal.

I really hate this Paige-as-spy storyline. It's rendered Elizabeth an incompetent spy.

Every so often I always go back to this scene:

Pastor Tim was more right than he could ever possibly know. He wrote all that shit when he thought they were just regular lying manipulating spies, not also super murdery spies who are now involving their daughter in the same dangerous and draining life for a country she doesn't even know, and whose real goals, actions, and history she has no idea about.Just constant lies on lies and manipulation because they know what makes her tick.. It's dark.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i could've used more phillip dancing

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great episode but Elizabeth is such a piece of shit.

Literally the only reason she's alive is because he hesitated due to his humanity. Meanwhile, Elizabeth has no humanity left and is responsible for yet another lost life.

And how gross was it that they pressed this poor bastard after he had already helped them out once before?

There's really no way to redeem Elizabeth at this point. I genuinely hope the writers/producers understand that.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I mean, I think Elizabeth is as marked for death as can be. It's literally around her neck. Her not biting it would be the twist.

Also, when they showed Stan talking about retiring again in the previously-on my trope-detector sure buzzed. Funny, since I've always seen him surviving the series because his total ruination when shit is revealed could be a worse fate than death. Or maybe that's exactly why he'll eat it—for mercy's sake.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Wasn't a fan of the cuts in this one, several of them felt rather awkward.

Kind of a slow burn of an episode, but that's not a bad thing with this show, the payoff always justifies drawn-out setups.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
To me, exhaustion leads to messing up by overseeing things, forgetting things, slipping up kind of passively. But Elizabeth is actively acting on Paige. She is working her. Are those functions/consequences of exhaustion? Or is this a mother who subconsciously wants to sabotage/destroy her kid? That's the only possible reason for a mother to do this to her daughter. And because I don't think Elizabeth wants to hurt Paige at all, it all feels contrived to me. That's why I don't like this Paige the Spy plotline.

I think Elizabeth truly believes that she's giving Paige's life a greater meaning.

Oct 25, 2017
Every so often I always go back to this scene:

Pastor Tim was more right than he could ever possibly know. He wrote all that shit when he thought they were just regular lying manipulating spies, not also super murdery spies who are now involving their daughter in the same dangerous and draining life for a country she doesn't even know, and whose real goals, actions, and history she has no idea about.Just constant lies on lies and manipulation because they know what makes her tick.. It's dark.

What an amazing scene. This show reaches such great heights with its 80s music. whew