• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the animation for this game is top notch. I still think Third Strike and Vampire Savior edge this game out but the Capcom sprite artists were on another level.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Why do people act like Clipping is a fault of animation? The dynamic physics of cloth, and making the bodies of the characters react to them, are all physics simulations. It's a part of animation that has nothing to do with hand-animated refinement, and everything to do with programming saying "This is the way it's suppose to work... right?"

To truly fix the clipping, they'd have to either hand-animate the objects that clip in the erroneous frames (which, for all these extra animations, is something they'll never feasibly do), or Increase the detail of the collision boxes around the objects (which would waste resources on number crunching that has little to do with gameplay), all of which would probably be at the expense of the smoother frame-rate, or the money they're spending on these animation flourishes and details.

I wish they'd hand animate all the details, but it's just not their style. Capcom LOVES the way skirts and fabric animated in SFV, very evident by the amount of costumes they make to emphasize such details.

It was very nice to see hand-animated cloth in KoF XIV though, with Rock. You can find the designer mentioning on Twitter how complex it was, but it was something they just HAD to get in there. His jacket bottom, sleeve, and undershift all have the bones and custom animation to move as similar to 2D as possible. Much like how SFIV mimicked SF3's billowy Gi's in their Hadouken animations.

tumblr_oo11f7xCuc1usrgjso3_540.gif

s4ayskrumfzaogxdaqze.gif

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
something something Cammy's Air Throw something something Donkey Kick

No, seriously, while I love SFV's animations the physics objects kinda ruin a ton of the game's aesthetic. They clip all over the place, never stay still and introduces really dumb breast jiggle.

Still, love the flourishes after they finish certain attacks.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
and still we have awful clipping like Kens hair in a damn loading screen? How could this pass in development when so many other things are great

game is absolutely gergous, the mechanics never clicked with me <though (a.k.a I got my ass handeld)

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I made some Sakura gifs some time ago, might as well post em here

PW1LPG9.gif
JlJvJLk.gif

ZpYxmLT.gif
NbFSYMf.gif

Plus some other stuff
Ss8nU4R.gif
Z319h3w.gif

v6CMpQq.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stop being amazed by the art and animation in this game, it's top in class. And I want a new side scrolling Final Fight in this style!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
One thing I really appreciate is how the characters will shift their weight and counterbalance when they extend a limb. Animations that don't do that properly tend to look awful.

Capcom is also starting to get a good feel for how to use motion blur to enhance an animation rather than obscure it. It gives the game a nice cinematic look.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah well since it was bumped!

SFV uses animation blending to make certain combo strings look smooth, despite being made of unique attacks.

For instance the startup animations for Ryu's tatsu and Karin's command dash are slightly different depending on what it's being linked from.

RMmA9Iw.gif

SY314Iu.gif

Whether Ryu is crouching or standing up, the animation into tatsu is smoothly blended instead of using a hard animation cancel.

K4v6sXx.gif

DufQXSw.gif

Karin's footwork perfectly transitions to the dash, whether you're linking from crouching medium kick or punch.

Oh and this game has top tier throwing/grab animations.

I mentioned this before but this game makes such great use of a dynamic camera to make certain moves feel more impactful and striking. The way it moves with the action is just perfect, and with just the right amount of screen shaking. Everything's designed to complement the animation. And it's subtle enough to not become distracting despite the quick change in perspective.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

SFV uses animation blending to make certain combo strings look smooth, despite being made of unique attacks.

For instance the startup animations for Ryu's tatsu and Karin's command dash are slightly different depending on what it's being linked from.

Whether Ryu is crouching or standing up, the animation into tatsu is smoothly blended instead of using a hard animation cancel.

Karin's footwork perfectly transitions to the dash, whether you're linking from crouching medium kick or punch.
Oh wow, I never noticed this.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
animation wise SFV is amazing, it reminds me so much of the little character details on overwatch (i guess both came out on the same time frame). The only let down on the game is some modeling style, but overall it's a great case for capcom.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
While I completely agree that SFV has better animations. NRS also improved their animations a lot with MK11.

h2da_ezgif-6-c9d8bdc2d332.gif

bgxc_fighting_animation.gif

ri3g_kitana_string_75_slow.gif

aq9m_scorpion_taunt.gif

100% it has come a huge way from MKX. That said, I feel a lot of people get distracted by the visual art/style instead of the animation and thus "MK11 is better".

SFV is probably my favourite animated game in such a long time. So good!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
While I completely agree that SFV has better animations. NRS also improved their animations a lot with MK11.

Seriously MKX vs MK11 and the improvements across the board are night and day. While some characters still have some clunky shit, over all its much, much better. The important part for me is that the animations are starting to catch up to the visuals.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These aren't gifs, but they're why SFV's animation game is so strong: outstanding key poses.

tREfZsn.png

6WGk1Sz.png

VMnPw8j.png

ik2HLAk.png

IgwqSxx.png

CyCUYiD.png

ZSzoWGs.png

FnjzGOh.png

KPrFPdM.png

APILVrJ.png

aRANkLy.png

sKQjmNC.png

VpAo8R8.png

Ap4jZiq.png

mFKVtcL.png

pg9R4dn.png

0t1thSm.png

HOcX7FG.png

jKu7otf.png

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

RMmA9Iw.gif

SY314Iu.gif

K4v6sXx.gif

DufQXSw.gif

Oh and this game has top tier throwing/grab animations.

I mentioned this before but this game makes such great use of a dynamic camera to make certain moves feel more impactful and striking. The way it moves with the action is just perfect, and with just the right amount of screen shaking. Everything's designed to complement the animation. And it's subtle enough to not become distracting despite the quick change in perspective.

These aren't gifs, but they're why SFV's animation game is so strong: outstanding key poses.

tREfZsn.png

6WGk1Sz.png

VMnPw8j.png

ik2HLAk.png

IgwqSxx.png

CyCUYiD.png

ZSzoWGs.png

FnjzGOh.png

KPrFPdM.png

APILVrJ.png

aRANkLy.png

sKQjmNC.png

VpAo8R8.png

Ap4jZiq.png

mFKVtcL.png

pg9R4dn.png

0t1thSm.png

HOcX7FG.png

jKu7otf.png

You're doing the Lord (Bison)'s work.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Thanks for making such a great tribute thread, jett . I've been a little bummed out about all the Ono-San business. As far as I'm concerned, despite his mistakes, SFIV and SFV probably wouldn't exist without his passion. Despite some of my issues with SFV, It's still my favorite game in the franchise. It's gorgeous, and I honestly don't believe that SFVI or whatever the successor will be will top it. There's just too much raw love for Street Fighter in every character design and animation. Whatever the new game will be, I'm sure it will be fine but it'll definitely be a new game with new sensibilities, and, I'd argue, for a new audience. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. SFV, however, is the game that I'd always imagined Street Fighter would look like one day when technology advanced enough from the Street Fighter Alpha games I played in college. Sometimes I'll look at the designs and animation for Necali or Zeku - characters that I don't even play - and just shake my head. They look absolutely amazing in motion.

Sure SFV might get the 2D/3D guilty gear treatment that some fans have always wanted, but for my money, this is as good as it gets for this type of fighting game. I couldn't be more satisfied.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Awesome post. I do think too that SFV's animation is just excellent. Blow my mind how they work on each character with little details. Capcom are really good.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Capcom are just on another plane of existence when it comes to animation.
Monster Hunter is even more proof:
b0h40e7uaujeep3pzndq.gif

thoraxes39xr6j.gif

NS2LfDk.gif

As an animator, this shit is just amazing. The footwork, the weight, everything about it is just PERFECT

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks JusDoIt SoulsHunt !

Thanks for making such a great tribute thread, jett . I've been a little bummed out about all the Ono-San business. As far as I'm concerned, despite his mistakes, SFIV and SFV probably wouldn't exist without his passion. Despite some of my issues with SFV, It's still my favorite game in the franchise. It's gorgeous, and I honestly don't believe that SFVI or whatever the successor will be will top it. There's just too much raw love for Street Fighter in every character design and animation. Whatever the new game will be, I'm sure it will be fine but it'll definitely be a new game with new sensibilities, and, I'd argue, for a new audience. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. SFV, however, is the game that I'd always imagined Street Fighter would look like one day when technology advanced enough from the Street Fighter Alpha games I played in college. Sometimes I'll look at the designs and animation for Necali or Zeku - characters that I don't even play - and just shake my head. They look absolutely amazing in motion.

Sure SFV might get the 2D/3D guilty gear treatment that some fans have always wanted, but for my money, this is as good as it gets for this type of fighting game. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Thanks! You know, I feel quite the same way. That SFV might be the peak of Street Fighter art design and we won't get another one like it. SF6 might end up being one big u-turn, who knows in which direction. At least we got this, and it looks good enough to stand the test of time.
Why are there no G gifs in this thread?
This thread was made before G was a thing.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If only their character designers were as good as their animators...

In my opinion most of those characters looks terrible.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So then what do people here think about this Twitter thread?

No skin in the game myself but this thread just reminded me of that Twitter post. Sorry if this is something you guys already discussed to death

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If only their character designers were as good as their animators...

In my opinion most of those characters looks terrible.
It's unfortunate you feel that way. For me, many of these characters are the best they've ever looked, especially the Ryu/Chun Li/Guile trifecta.

Uontetu.png

xxApXFJ.png

LQuQlX0.png

So then what do people here think about this Twitter thread?

No skin in the game myself but this thread just reminded me of that Twitter post. Sorry if this is something you guys already discussed to death

What I think about it is that it's kinda silly to write up a veritable animation bible on twitter based off a single frame of animation without even looking at the animation itself.

But yeah Sakura's HP isn't the greatest.

Last edited:

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
This game still looks atractive after all this time. Hi-res footage from PC looks amazing with that depth of field.
Who is the animation lead at Capcom? Hopefully they can carry the work to SF6.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Menat, Zeku and G are three of the best character designs Capcom has ever done. Overall SFV's newcomers and character designs are better than SFIV's. The only really weak designs among the newcomers in SFV are Falke and Kage.

This game still looks atractive after all this time. Hi-res footage from PC looks amazing with that depth of field.
Who is the animation lead at Capcom? Hopefully they can carry the work to SF6.

They have a bunch. The animation director or whatever on SFV was either Hiroyuki Nara, Yuichiro Hiraki, the lead animators on DMC4 and 5 respectively, or Akihiko Nasu. Or someone unknown, since the beforementioned might not be available on hand for DLC.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The animation blending will probably be excellent, based on how good it is in DMC5.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The animation blending will probably be excellent, based on how good it is in DMC5.
The animation in DMC5 is the best it's ever been, especially considering the jump from DMC4 in a LOT of details. One thing I remember really liking in the reboot was much personality there was in each of Dante's moves, the problem was just that It had a amount of jank and jerkiness to it at points. But DMC5 took that idea and really went all out with it's characters, and all their moves are unique, dodge, jumps, attacks, there isn't any move that is basic or that lacks a personal flourish.