cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Modern cars are gonna age like milk.

Imagine what this stuff is gonna look like at 10-15 years old. 😂

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My 2011 Flex (180K miles) still runs (barely), and I love it because it's one of the last cars without a screen, and a bunch normal, actual buttons. It does have a USB plug and bluetooth - and that's really all you need!
My wife's newer car has buttons for the gear-shift - it just feels so wrong!

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
My 2011 Flex (180K miles) still runs (barely), and I love it because it's one of the last cars without a screen, and a bunch normal, actual buttons. It does have a USB plug and bluetooth - and that's really all you need!
My wife's newer car has buttons for the gear-shift - it just feels so wrong!
Oh I'm not a fan of those gear shift buttons at all, just doesn't feel right

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I swear Pels have made so many arenas lose their minds this season, some fans throwing damn chicken wings on the court now….

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
One thing I absolutely love about my 2021 EcoSport's dash is that it's pretty much all buttons.

My car's dashboard (I have a Titanium trim).

2021_ford_ecosport_dashboard.jpg

(a more professional picture of the dashboard)

It's simple, which is something I was looking for. I absolutely despise the trend of making everything controlled by a touchscreen.

Last edited:

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
2021_ford_ecosport_dashboard.jpg

(a more professional picture of the dashboard)

It's simple, which is something I was looking for. I absolutely despise the trend of making everything controlled by a touchscreen.

To my eyes this is anything but simple. This looks like tens of buttons with various icons that are absolutely all over the place. Confusing and impractical, as opposed to a large, clear touchscreen and a few buttons and scroll wheels. Nice and easy.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
To my eyes this is anything but simple. This looks like tens of buttons with various icons that are absolutely all over the place. Confusing and impractical, as opposed to a large, clear touchscreen and a few buttons and scroll wheels. Nice and easy.

The issue with touchscreens is that they're not really safe to use while driving (which is why places like the EU are looking at making buttons mandatory for some features).

Buttons and knobs provide a tactical feedback that a touchscreen can't replicate, and that's important when driving, as it'll lessen the time the driver has to take their eyes off the road.

Moving important features to a screen is one of the dumbest and unsafe things the car industry has done. It's illegal in most places to use a mobile device while driving, so why move important features to a mobile device that's built into the dashboard.

futurism.com

Study Finds That Buttons in Cars Are Safer and Quicker to Use Than Touchscreens

Cars in recent years have come equipped with larger, more feauture-packed touchscreen infotainment systems. But are they really better than simple buttons?

www.caranddriver.com

Shocker! In Cars, Physical Buttons Are Easier Than Touchscreens

A study showed that it is less time-consuming to push a button, as drivers have been doing for decades, rather than operate a touchscreen infotainment system.

newsroom.aaa.com

New Vehicle Infotainment Systems Create Increased Distractions Behind the Wheel

AAA Foundation study reveals in-vehicle technology takes one step forward, two steps back

Lastly, one you know where everything is, muscle memory kicks in. I know exactly where the button is and can press it without looking away from the road. The same applies to every other button.

Last edited:

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Buttons are ergonomically great, but limit functionality and make new features painful to implement. Touchscreens are more flexible and extendible, but are ergonomically terrible.

But isn't an LLM with voice-recognition the very obvious answer to all of this?

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
Buttons are ergonomically great, but limit functionality and make new features painful to implement. Touchscreens are more flexible and extendible, but are ergonomically terrible.

Needs to be really accurate voice recognition. Then there are problems like if people are sleeping in the back and if you are on the phone.

Would be a cool addon, but don't think voice commands can be the main control system.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

That will be where it goes eventually. Soon probably. The voice commands in my Model Y are great and I use them all the time for things I used to use manual controls for, it works fantastic. I think oither brands will get there very soon too. Once AI gets into cars in major ways I think useful voice commands will become very common.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of months ago I was driving a newish Mercedes with one of those control panels in the last picture in the OP and it was downright dangerous.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm grateful the Kona has buttons. The infotainment is still a touch screen, but it's really for music at most. My air/heat is still buttons.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm grateful the Kona has buttons. The infotainment is still a touch screen, but it's really for music at most. My air/heat is still buttons.

But then it has this stupid thing for it's gear shift. No thanks!
(my wife's Santa Fe has buttons for it's gear shift - so unintuitive)

2024_Hyundai_Kona_Gear_Shift_1.jpg

My Kona has buttons for the gear shift next to where the cup holder is.
Hmm, my fiance just got a 2023 Kona about 6 months ago and it has a normal stick for the gear shift.

Also yeah, buttons for all the main controls instead of touch screen. Definetly one of the reasons we went with this car.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, my fiance just got a 2023 Kona about 6 months ago and it has a normal stick for the gear shift.

Also yeah, buttons for all the main controls instead of touch screen. Definetly one of the reasons we went with this car.
Mine is a Kona EV 2022 so that might make a difference.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I personally hate voice commands. Talking to things to make them work is my least favorite way to interact with them.

But I'm also fine if my car doesn't get any new features after I buy it, and I don't need a fancy infotainment system.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't miss physical climate controls at all after 3/4 year with a Model Y. It's not like I'm changing the temperature or settings all the time, it does it's thing automatically and that's about it.
I think it's silly to remove buttons for the glove box and stuff like that for example. But now that I got used to it I'm fine with it in general. As long as it works as well as in my Tesla. I drove some modern cars with and without buttons and it was a miserable experience. Hard to understand how car manufacturers manage to create user interfaces THAT BAD.