• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
On Episode 4.

So far; Hup is the real MVP.

I this show. Such a worthy follow-up to the movie.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a mere twenty minutes into episode 1 and I can tell you already the film's setting will be immensely depressing to see after watching the series.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched the movie last night and I forgot how much...doesn't really happen? Like it's a technical and artistic landmark of a film, but the plot is pretty droning. I hope the series takes it a bit further that way.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched the movie last night and I forgot how much...doesn't really happen? Like it's a technical and artistic landmark of a film, but the plot is pretty droning. I hope the series takes it a bit further that way.
The film was more to show off the puppetry and set work, and the world Henson and Oz had designed, the plot is mainly incidental.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Watched the first two episodes last night and it's mind blowing how much artistry is apparent in every set, all the little details are absolutely incredible. Not to mention the social effects, the beautiful puppets, the fantastic VO...

Absolutely living up to my expectations. I don't know what kind of budget something like this takes but it's legitimately one of the most beautiful works I've ever seen.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
He's so good and sounds nothing like himself, most of the actors sound like themselves(more or less) but Pegg really disappears in the role, made me think Pegg should do more voice work.
Awkwafina is also great, she doesn't have that chameleon quality going but she uses her distinctive voice quite well.

Nathalie Emmanuel might give the best performance of all and, heck, everything about Deet is perfectly realized.
I can see what you mean after just one episode, if I didn't know that was Pegg I'd never have guessed, he's unrecognizable.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episode 5 and it's sooooooooo good so far. There's a bunch of pure Henson humor and silliness that's really made me laugh.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the show is blissful practical effects, though there are more than a few scenes with CGI where it's super noticeable - like in episode 2 when
Rian jumps out the window to escape the Skeksis, the shot of him running, jumping out the window, and falling into the water, was way too fluid to be puppetry. I wish they would keep the CGI character's movements in line with the puppetry so it didn't look so incongruous.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Never seen the movie, will I miss anything important while watching this show or it isn't too important?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

back then that was about as sweeping of a "fantasy epic" as it got. enjoyed my rewatch a few days ago but definitely had to acclimate to an early 80s mindset, before magic crystals and evil races were just the baseline for this kind of thing

only got past the first episode but pretty sure there's going to be way more meat on the bone here

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The accompanying artbook will be out in November:

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance_dark-crystal_silo.png

Set many years before the events of The Dark Crystal, Jim Henson's classic 1982 movie, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all-new adventure. When three Gelfling discovers the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

Revealing the incredible creative process behind the new series, this book will show how Jim Henson's Creature Shop, legendary character, and costume designer Brian Froud, and director Louis Leterrier brought Thra and its characters to life alongside the artists and puppeteers who are continuing the legacy of the original film.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Only a couple of episodes in, absolutely loving it. We're sitting here in awe of what they made.

Awesome OP!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watched the first two episodes and wow, it's really very good. True to the original, fantastic to look at, interesting characters and world. It's really special, and the music. Just great

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The majority of the show is blissful practical effects, though there are more than a few scenes with CGI where it's super noticeable - like in episode 2 when
Rian jumps out the window to escape the Skeksis, the shot of him running, jumping out the window, and falling into the water, was way too fluid to be puppetry. I wish they would keep the CGI character's movements in line with the puppetry so it didn't look so incongruous.

I don't see it being much different than parts of the movie where they have actors in the suits for wide shots.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I've never actually seen the original movie.

When I heard about the new show thanks to the Switch trailer at E3 though I was instantly hyped.

I know to respect it even if I haven't seen it before.

I blind bought the 4k and am very much looking forward to seeing it and the show.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Given the horde of characters in the just 90 minute long film with relatively minimal story beyond a basic MacGuffin plot, I can see how the biggest strength of the show is going to be room to breath and get to know everyone. Like in the film, there's ten (quickly nine) Skeksis, but while they're all superbly designed and have personality just from their clothes and detailing, only the Chamberlain and General, and to an extent Scientist get any sort of role in the plot. Actually getting to know all the Skeksis and see how their decadent court works, as well as having loads of Gelfling, already feels like a big attraction for me. Like just in the first episode, the Scrollkeeper had a notable role, in the film he had one or two lines at best.

Maybe a little like Stargate the film, the set-up and world they have in the film is simply too huge an enterprise to do much justice to in a film's running time, it needs a long form show (granted Stargate the film squandered even that running time, but still, the first third or so is pretty great buildup) to see it through.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone's volume really low for this show?

Edit: It was set to 5.1 for some reason, nothing else is

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
So, so glad they stayed true to the original style. Itt has the right amount of CGI in addition to the practical effects.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
After the 1st episoide I have one thing to say: total eyegasm. Holy shit. Dolby Vision for the win. Loving the characters too. Chamberlain is such a conniving bitch.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't even remember that! It's been years since I've seen the movie.

I'm trying to find video of it but struggling, but if you watch the scene where Jen is running into the Mystics village they have dressed what I assume to be a child in a suit. There's more scenes, but they definitely stand out.

I'm not a huge fan of CG either, but I guess in this series they get to show characters up close where puppetry would've been too difficult and too weird looking with a suit.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me how the music compares to the original? The original had an incredible soundtrack.

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can someone tell me how the music compares to the original? The original had was an incredible soundtrack.

They use the same theme as the film, in the intro at least. It's different and part of a bigger piece of music now. Overall the soundtrack has been excellent and one of my favourite things about the show.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find video of it but struggling, but if you watch the scene where Jen is running into the Mystics village they have dressed what I assume to be a child in a suit. There's more scenes, but they definitely stand out.

I'm not a huge fan of CG either, but I guess in this series they get to show characters up close where puppetry would've been too difficult and too weird looking with a suit.
Yeah, there is fair amount of 'non-puppet' work in the original film.

tumblr-ppo0nq-Rq-P61tg9ln0-1280.jpg

And, sure, in an ideal world everything, everywhere, all the time, would be puppets but there comes a point where the difficulty of pulling it off just isn't worth the effort.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is fair amount of 'non-puppet' work in the original film.

tumblr-ppo0nq-Rq-P61tg9ln0-1280.jpg

And, sure, in an ideal world everything, everywhere, all the time, would be puppets but there comes a point where the difficulty of pulling it off just isn't worth the effort.
And you can bet your ass Henson would have been happy to use CGI to do things like hide unavoidable cables or rods if it had been available at the time.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Y'all... I'm loving the hell outta this.

The production design is NUTS. And the voice cast is stacked. Was the budget for this pretty high?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Watching the first episode now. I would wait to watch it with my girlfriend, but I can't resist the temptation.

Sorry honey

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
afaik one of the major, albeit less obvious, ways they used modern VFX technology is to digitally erase the puppeteers from many shots. the ability to do that frees them up to do a lot of things with puppet movement, camerawork, and set design that weren't possible in 1982

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
afaik one of the major, albeit less obvious, ways they used modern VFX technology is to digitally erase the puppeteers from many shots. the ability to do that frees them up to do a lot of things with puppet movement, camerawork, and set design that weren't possible in 1982
And yet in closeups of the Gelflings from the waist up they still do the "Muppet running" which I love in all its goofiness.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I might have missed something, or it might be answered later in the show, but do we know how long before the original movie this takes place.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
And you can bet your ass Henson would have been happy to use CGI to do things like hide unavoidable cables or rods if it had been available at the time.
Absolutely. There is just no reason to be so strict that you handicap yourself and the film. It is hard to say where Jim Henson would have taken his craft in the modern era but he definitely would've seen the use of computers to erase the puppeteers as a big boon.
Yeah, you can completely miss it as you are watching Age of Resistance, what with it being pretty dang engrossing, but there is a lot of seemingly uncomplicated shots and scenes that are only possible because they can erase the puppeteers and mechanisms that allow the magic to happen.
And yet in closeups of the Gelflings from the waist up they still do the "Muppet running" which I love in all its goofiness.
I would've been very, very upset if they had somehow "solved" the Muppet style running, it brings so much character to everyone who uses it. And it works as a nice contrast to how the Skeksis move which is very human and natural.

In particular, I would say 50% of skekMal the Hunter's menace comes from the way you can easily read the fact that there is a grown man running around in the costume.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I get it. In particular, the shots of the spider crawling all over the ceilings/walls and the carriage moving with the pillbug wheels would be extremely hard to pull off with practical effects. I just wish they had been better able to seamlessly integrate the CGI with the puppetry.

Was the budget for this pretty high?

I imagine that it'd have to have been extremely expensive to produce. I mean, it looks expensive as heck and practical effects aren't cheap!