NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's what DeNiro looked like when he was 30:

fcffc0faadf4bf9c94fa33fa2edf474a234d7eed3fd1aeff0788539e0cc273de.jpg

This is how The Irishman thinks he looks:

Screen-Shot-2019-09-25-at-2.52.16-PM.png

He looks really weird especially since we have so much footage of him when he was younger.

I mean, Marvel (and I understand, they have more money) has nailed this de-aging stuff:

DmX9687XcAA6Un6.jpg

As has the upcoming Gemini Man:

will-smith-innit-55b28e7.jpg

Given that Marty is one of the best directors in history, what's going on here?

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Disney's tech is probably proprietary, and they've been working on it forever (see the Tron sequel).

Edit: Just going to add in a note here that while it is proprietary tech, it's Lola FX's, not Disney's. People were calling this out a bit in the thread and wanted to add it here for those interested.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They all look pretty bad. I'd imagine it's alot more difficult if the actor has a fat face now.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Worth noting that Kurt Russell there is "mostly make up" according to interviews.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The issue often is they just smooth them out and call it a day. Some people's faces greatly change shape with age and DeNiro is one of them.
It's why the Kurt Russell one works so well, Russel hasn't changed that much shape wise with age but they still changed it to match him circa 1980.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait for the movie to come out and we see these scenes fully before I pass a judgement.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yet, the movie is still being reviewed critically acclaimed style, which probably means, they didn't really spend as much time worrying about effects, so much about the quality of everywhere else in the movie, which would probably explain why it's shaky at best.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course Era would think the MCU "nailed the de-aging". Everything in the OP looks horrible.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I think it looks fine. He's not playing a young Robert DeNiro in the movie so they don't have to look exactly the same. The dude just aged different.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
The only one that looks good to me is Sam Jackson, but I am so distracted by the piece of carpet stapled to his head that I can't suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yet, the movie is still being reviewed critically acclaimed style, which probably means, they didn't really spend as much time worrying about effects, so much about the quality of everywhere else in the movie, which would probably explain why it's shaky at best.

They spent a fuck load of time and money on the de aging actually. It's a very expensive movie because of it and no one wanted to fund it outside of Netflix.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The DeNiro that did the actual performance is the current one, not 30 year old Bobby. Aspects of his face, his mouth, hie eyes, his head shape, have changed so they probably had to try and match the de-aged DeNiro for performance capture purposes, otherwise you'd probably end up with an even greater uncanny valley.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Russell one didn't look as good in motion in GOTG2 though the still image is decent. I felt similar to SLJ in Captain Marvel though that was probably the best of the MCU bunch.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. Young Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel doesn't look like actual young Sam Jackson. It looks like young Old Sam Jackson, like DeNiro.
And here is the other thing. Who gives a single shit if it works for the story?

This isn't a biopic about DeNiro. It just has to seem like a young Frank Sheeran.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Young Tony Stark looked pretty off in the actual film though. It reminds me of the 1940's when they used to just shoot aging starlets in soft-focus to make them look younger.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The DeNiro that did the actual performance is the current one, not 30 year old Bobby. Aspects of his face, his mouth, hie eyes, his head shape, have changed so they probably had to try and match the de-aged DeNiro for performance capture purposes, otherwise you'd probably end up with an even greater uncanny valley.
Exactly.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
RDJ does not look good at all, is the worst one up there. SLJ is the only one posted that looks good.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always thought Young RDJ looked fucking awful

That GOTG2 (I'm guessing?) one is great though

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think SLJ looks incredible in Captain Marvel. The others all look impressive but still a little too glossy.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be fair here -- Real Life 90's Samuel Jackson actually looks way older than Marvel's 90's Samuel Jackson:

samuelljacksonthen.jpg

Samuel-Jackson_02.jpg

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks fine - there's no requirement that it looks exactly like young De Niro did in life, as long as it appears true to character.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the thing, and also what is going to cause people to need to adjust.

He's not playing young Robert DeNiro. He's playing young Frank Sheeran. The goal was to not give us taxi driver era looking Bobby, it was instead to de-age the current character he's playing. Considering the amount of de-aging that is in this film, that makes a lot more sense compared to the examples you posted which was for the most part a small amount of screen time. The big exceptions being Sam and Will, who both look a lot closer to their younger counterparts than Bobby does currently.

The final results aren't perfect, but they are good enough to provide what the film needed. When people first heard this approach they reasonably expected the young versions of the actors they had in their heads. Hell, I did this too. That is not what this film needed to do though.