Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Marty has never been the best when it comes to computer effects. I mean have you seen the utterly god awful green screen effects in Shutter Island. Christ.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont even get why Kurt Russel had to be de-aged when he's playing a celestial god

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That Michael Douglas shot is almost exactly the same as the WWII DeNiro shot. They have the exact same pros and cons.

Irishman tech isn't perfect, but calling it terrible is absolutely stupid. Terrible CG exists, and this ain't it

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Stark gives me an uncanny valley feeling

DeNiro doesn't because it didn't go too far with it, which I don't mind.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Show us some better de-aging in movies.

Grandma Tarkin looked pretty good in Rogue One

th

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Young RDJ looked terrible in motion.

Don't really see an issue with The Irishman. At least he doesn't have the uncanny valley eyes.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The only one that looks good in the OP is SLJ.

Also, you have to keep in mind they're not trying to match a young DeNiro here but creating a younger looking character. DeNiro of today has a much larger frame and a more lethargic voice and motion, neither of which are being de-aged.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's Kurt Russel is the only one I'm ok with. I don't know why. I can buy older version like Sharon and Steve more easily.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
None of the reviews said it was noticeable past the first few minutes -- I'm guessing when it's not some random scene your eyes adjust pretty quickly.

The worst one in recent memory is definitely CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. It just took me out of every scene he was in.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
y'all crushing after Travis Bickle, you should go to the cinema with him and see a movie

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I don't know anything about this technology, but:

With De Niro there is SO MUCH video footage of him at a young age, couldn't they just work from that old footage instead of working off of his current face?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

With De Niro there is SO MUCH video footage of him at a young age, couldn't they just work from that old footage instead of working off of his current face?
That is a shit ton more work. You going to slim him down in all those scenes as well?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

they had to match current DeNiro's performance capture. They weren't just creating a CGI character from scratch.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I would have never thought about it if it wasn't for this post. The de-aging looks absolutely fine, and I am not at all bothered that he varies from real young Deniro. I see that image and I instantly think of Robert Deniro.

All of those examples look great. I never even had issues with the Jeff Bridges de-aging in Tron. I thought it looked great. It's a great and fun technology that the average person doesn't notice there being any real CG involved.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
LOL OP, youre not helping at all with your comparison pics. No studio has nailed the tech seamlessly yet.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bobby's got some jowls on him now and I imagine that's a bit harder.

Even "young" Kurt Russell has a giant chin.

It's also hard to "de-age" eyes. Michael Douglas's age shows through his eyes (though it's still damned good). The other actors you posted all have similar eyes/eye shape now vs their younger selves. DeNiro didn't get so lucky, I think.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Did people forget about captain jack:

https://i./i/pix/2017/03/02/15/3DE1281600000578-0-image-a-30_1488470032647.jpg

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen Civil War in a while but I feel like that scene looks better in motion. Wonder if it holds up.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Wonder when will a big blockbuster studio use AI deepfake technology combining CGI to deage an actor.

Oct 27, 2017
this isn't robert de niro, this is a movie character in the film The Irishman
who says that character has to look as the actor robert de niro looked when he was younger
the experiences of that character's life perhaps took a harsher physical toll
than that of the life experiences of the actor robert de niro

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
De Niro looking nothing like 6ft 4 Frank Sheeren is more distracting

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. Young Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel doesn't look like actual young Sam Jackson. It looks like young Old Sam Jackson, like DeNiro.
And here is the other thing. Who gives a single shit if it works for the story?

This isn't a biopic about DeNiro. It just has to seem like a young Frank Sheeran.

give this man the money!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all mad dramatic with the hyperbole

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta appreciate the humor of this thread being made on a gaming forum haha.

Anyway, I gotta be honest: Who Cates? I was worried this would be Scorsese falling off and the movie is, by all accounts, totally fantastic. So I'm relieved and thoroughly hyped based on that alone.

And also, like... it doesn't really matter if DeNiro looked like that 30 years ago? He's not playing "DeNiro 30 years ago" he's playing Frank Shearon :b

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Disney's tech is probably proprietary, and they've been working on it forever (see the Tron sequel).

Actually, there's this one studio, Lola, that they work with that does this across all their films. They didn't go with Lola on Rogue One, which is why the de-aging there sucks.

That being said, my favorite de-aging is Anthony Hopkins in Westworld, they got really close to the real young Hopkins:

120502.jpg

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Two pages in and still no pic from the Simpsons episode where the photographer put Vaseline on the lense with a trowel.